Fergie: "There’s nothing wrong with Manchester United, not a thing wrong with it."

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Not a chance.
He doesn't need to prove doubters wrong:confused:...that's crap and feeds into the media frenzy that there's something majorly wrong at Utd that a big name will solve, and it adds fuel to the Rooney spin. The best course of action right now is to get on with running the team and preparing for the next big game ..which begins at Stoke City

WAZZA-UP

It's ironic that Rooney was actually bought based on his potential and now he's slagging off Sir Alex for continuing to do the same thing.
Maybe they'll mention that to him in this morning's meeting. I do think SAF speech was outstanding, he looked a rejuvenated man, and focussed. I understand Rooney's statement if he's been told something that we've not. But surely all Gill had to say was we bid for Benzema he turned us down for the mob, we bid for Villa he wanted to stay in hos own country, this is the list of people who we are looking at!! I personally hope he stays and apologises for his mistake!

OneUnited24

However, Ferguson's words today indicate they do want him, they are 'leaving the door open' - unprecedented from Ferguson in a stand-off between player and boss. So the big question for me is 'just how bad a state is the squad in?'. In a sense, despite Rooney's awful behaviour, Ferguson seems to be allowing the club to be held to ransom. I know Rooney is a unique talent, I know he was on fire last year, I know he is the best player we have. Arguably he is the only truly world class player we have. And therein lies the problem. United's all around squad, like it or not, is weak.
I think after last nights comments both SAF and a few of the players have firmly shut that door, rumours going around today are saying Rooney will be dropped into the reserves at best until a buyer comes along. My take on the current squad is we just seem to have a lot of experienced lads (Carrick, Fletcher, Brown, Evans (ok hes young but still hes experienced enough), Park and Evra) who seem to be in a bad vein of form and with the injury to Valenica this will put extra burden on the younger lads coming through to deliever which i think is unfair on them so its up to our two aging stars to step up to the challenge which they have done.

IMO our first team (not including Rooney who isnt in that team on current form anyway) is good enough to be challenging for honours but with the form of a few of them its just highlighting the need for players who we dont think are at the club when in actuality they are. In Nani we have a up and coming winger who has really stepped up to the plate, in Anderson we have a driving force who is slowly getting fitter and sharper with every game he plays just needs to find his passing range, in Hernandez we have a striker who can potentially get us 10+ goals this season, then in defence we have the likes of Rafael (who imo should be our starting RB) and Evans who are good enough to challenge the first teamers. The only aspect i think our team is lacking is that creative midfielder when Scholes is out and should Rooney go i see us getting a player for that position.

MG

I'm so, so glad he's got his fighting spirit back. The worst part of this whole Rooney saga was SAF's reaction to it; how defeated and downcast he appeared, which is totally unlike him.

I feel calmer now we've had our inspiring speech from the great man. He's back, he won't let a greedy little pathetic shit like Rooney upset him, he's far too experienced and talented as a manager to do that. Manchester United are, of course, fine. We've coped with losing top players before and we'll cope again. I'm not saying the squad doesn't need work, because it does, but it's definitely not all doom and gloom, we're not far away from that team who won the league 3 times in a row.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Maybe they'll mention that to him in this morning's meeting. I do think SAF speech was outstanding, he looked a rejuvenated man, and focussed. I understand Rooney's statement if he's been told something that we've not. But surely all Gill had to say was we bid for Benzema he turned us down for the mob, we bid for Villa he wanted to stay in hos own country, this is the list of people who we are looking at!! I personally hope he stays and apologises for his mistake!
IMO, it's too late, how do you expect the players to react to him saying that they're not up to his standard? In fact, from the way he's performing, he should be ashamed that he even thought of it. The team has been carrying him for months and he comes out with this kind of rubbish.

He should be ashamed of himself, for years the club has always tolerated his inconsistency and made allowance for his petulance because we trust him to outgrow it and the first time he's ever showed that he can finally sustain a run of form, he gets his head turned by the money.

ralphie88

I love that man. Great speech, hard to disagree with it.

Interesting to note he doesn't mention the owners in the last paragraph when talking about having the right staff, manager and Chief Exec.
Yes.

Also interesting last night that he praised the fans for "getting behind the team" when (aside from the rousing renditions of Every Single One Of Us) the only chants you could hear were anti-Glazer ones.

decorativeed

I think from the way he's talking, he wants to use this season almost as a platform to build his next team. He's playing the youth a lot more than he used to, the games against Rangers and Bursprarararararprpar being examples of this. 2 or 3 years ago we'd have just fielded our strongest teams in these games and put the group to bed by the 4th match. If he had spent money on players over the Summer, the youth wouldn't have gotten a chance to prove their worth. So he just kept the old guns for another year in order to keep some experience in the squad. I think next Summer once he knows exactly what youth will/won't make it, he'll decide who to buy.
I agree with that. Just a shame about the timing of the Cleverly loan and Valencia injury. A 1995 style clear-out in the summer?

IMO, it's too late, how do you expect the players to react to him saying that they're not up to his standard? In fact, from the way he's performing, he should be ashamed that he even thought of it. The team has been carrying him for months and he comes out with this kind of rubbish.

He should be ashamed of himself, for years the club has always tolerated his inconsistency and made allowance for his petulance because we trust him to outgrow it and the first time he's ever showed that he can finally sustain a run of form, he gets his head turned by the money.
That is an excellent point.

Yes.

Also interesting last night that he praised the fans for "getting behind the team" when (aside from the rousing renditions of Every Single One Of Us) the only chants you could hear were anti-Glazer ones.
And "If you all hate scousers". :nervous:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
The way he handled the rooney saga and got the best out of him eventually was something few managers can do.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
In retrospect this seems the turning point of our season.

Jonno

I love times like this, everyone stops and realises what an amazing job Fergie has done. The fact that he can just build his own team with players like Park, Hernandez, Valencia who all are not classed as big money buys, and win trophies just shows how good he is.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
His legacy should be a squad of players young enough to have great futures and aware enough of the privilege it is to play for Manchester United. In the end his legacy may be that he leaves behind a squad of average young talent and a hodge podge of mercenaries - leaving United in the just the same place as the rest of the Premier League...
I can't believe anyone thought this.

prateik

I remember the address at OT at the end of last season very clearly

said he was disappointed to miss out on the title by just 1 point and we'd go out again the next season and bring the title back to the "best place in the world"..

The man is a genius

Wan

Rafael-Evans-Smalling-Fabio
Valencia-Fletcher-Anderson/Gibson-Nani
Rooney-Hernandez
Average.

Welbeck, Macheda, Cleverley..