Fergie: "There’s nothing wrong with Manchester United, not a thing wrong with it."

Shimo

SAF .... Rooney said it, he is a one off, genius.

I hope Rooney ends up a broken man, literally, where ever he goes. In fact hope he goes overseas and when he ends up being the hopes of the country and fails miserably, he'll drink himself to obscurity and turn to whores who give him some nasty STDs in the process

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
SAF .... Rooney said it, he is a one off, genius.

I hope Rooney ends up a broken man, literally, where ever he goes. In fact hope he goes overseas and when he ends up being the hopes of the country and fails miserably, he'll drink himself to obscurity and turn to whores who give him some nasty STDs in the process
So he basically turns out like he did in the Nike ad? :lol:

Ixion

What I love about him is that he has gotten to the point where the well being of the club is all that matters to him, not personal success or records, and not just the current state of the club but how it will be long after he has gone. He could have gone and been a success at so many other clubs but all that matters to him is Manchester United.

ciderman9000000

:lol: Classical! Someone finally picks up on my cow analogy and it's the great man himself!

Once upon a time there lived a farmer called Alex. He was a cow-farmer and had lots of lovely, strong, prize-winning cows in his field. His cows were so impressive that he they had acquired quite a following, and every week all the boys from the village would come to see them - they'd stand by the fence and watch the cows.

Now, Farmer Alex had a problem - in order to ensure that his cows continued to win prizes, and thus keep the boys that came to see them happy, every summer he'd have to sell off the old cows, and the weak cows, and the sad cows, and use the money to buy younger, stronger, happier cows from the market. Fortunately though, to help him with this, Farmer Alex had a rich benefactor called Uncle Glazer, who'd hand him a little bit extra to spend at the market every year. The setup was perfect, and every year, without fail, Farmer Alex's cows won lots of prizes and all the boys were happy. That is, until one year.

Farmer Alex's prize cow, Moonaldo, the best cow in the whole world, got really really sad - try as they might, Farmer Alex and Uncle Glazer couldn't cheer Moonaldo up. Uncle Glazer offered to give Farmer Alex lots and lots of grass to help placate Moonaldo, but Moonaldo wouldn't eat the grass, he was a very sad cow. There was nothing for it, Moonaldo would would have to be sold! So, that very summer, Farmer Alex took Moonaldo to market, and was immediately offered £80 for him by nasty old Farmer Madrid. Farmer Alex didn't want to let his prize cow go, but £80 was a huge amount for one cow! So, grudgingly, he accepted the offer.

Fortunately though, Farmer Alex now had lots of money to spend on some new cows, he'd replace Moonaldo easily with £80! He had a look around the market, and saw a cow called Moowen, and a cow called Valencimoo, and a cow called Moobertan, they were perfect - and luck of lucks, they only cost £20 for all three! Happily, Farmer Alex skipped back to his field, new cows in tow, confident of once again winning all the prizes.

Look at my lovely new cows! And all for just £20! He shouted to the waiting boys when he got home. I still have £60 left over to spend on cows next summer! I'm going to be winning prizes for years to come!

But the boys didn't look happy, they sulked and they moaned, they stamped their feet and they cried.

You're a liar, Farmer Alex! You sold your best cow and you gave all the money to fat old Uncle Glazer! Now you're never going to have any money ever again and you're never going to be able to buy any new cows! You should have spent ALL the money on Moozema!

Farmer Alex couldn't believe his ears - he and Uncle Glazer had kept these boys so happy for so long, they'd won all the prizes that there was to win, and yet the boys were acting like little babies, throwing tantrums and hissy-fits like a bunch of little girls, and what any of this had to do with Uncle Glazer he had no idea.

feck them then, he thought, the ungrateful cnuts, and he retired.

The end.

It's practically word for word; SAF's obviously a ciderfan.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
The man is pure magic. Give me one sir Alex over a hundred Rooneys any day. It's these strong principles that he runs the club by that make him and the club so special.

Stars don't make Manchester united. Manchester united make stars. And while all of us have differing opinions on which players at the club have what potential and who we should sign, well always continue that fantastic tradition.

bbest

The Caf's worst songwriter
The man is pure magic. Give me one sir Alex over a hundred Rooneys any day. It's these strong principles that he runs the club by that make him and the club so special.

Stars don't make Manchester united. Manchester united make stars. And while all of us have differing opinions on which players at the club have what potential and who we should sign, well always continue that fantastic tradition.
*Thumbs up.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
I love that speech, I really do.

Rooney has no idea what he is throwing away. He could have been a legend at this club, and in his life - right there near the top of the all-time goalscorers, spoken about in nearly the same breath as some of the true great players for us. But there's a reason the likes of Charlton, Edwards, Giggs, Scholes, Law will be legends and Rooney won't - they are/were bigger men, and probably smarter too. Rooney will just be another very good footballer now, never a great one, never remembered in the same way. And it won't just taint his reputation as a Manchester United player, it will taint his reputation as a footballer in general, and as a person. He leaves under a cloud, and he's very unlikely to find a better club elsewhere. If he moves to Real or somewhere, he'll miss United. If he moves to City, he will miss United. There is no better club. Odds on him winning more trophies than Giggs or Scholes anyone?

giggsyflying

Football is not life. It is more than life.
Buying guarantees jack squat. Just look at Veron the guy who was going to solve all the midfield woes. I like SAF's policy of youth and buying players when they are young.
For all the troubled start United have had this season, they have yet to lose and they have basically done it with Rooney playing very much below par.
show me one more example other than veron. you want to use just one case to override successful expensive signinga of rio, stam, ruud, yorke, andrew cole, etc. i am not saying we have to sign expensive developed players but stopping signing such players is definitely not correct

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
This is the first time in my memory of supporting Utd that I've heard SAF come out with 2 statements/press conferences in such a short period. While I love the sentiments and the defence of our club what does worry me is the timing of these comments. As I posted yesterday, I really hope this doesn't descend into a somewhat inane battle for the moral highground.

Yes it's becoming obvious that Rooney's motivation is fanancial but let's not be niave about this. While in no way agreeing with Rooney,there is a serious lack of quality especially in the midfield area that has been apparent for a while ,and while I do agree that SAF knows how to develop young players I don't really see signs in the generation below that leads me to believe that the " next great thing" is just around the corner....in the generation below that possibly with, Pogba,Keane,Morrison and hopefully Petrucci but how long before an opportunity is accorded?

Cina

That speech actually gave me goosebumps. Amazing.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
This is the first time in my memory of supporting Utd that I've heard SAF come out with 2 statements/press conferences in such a short period. While I love the sentiments and the defence of our club what does worry me is the timing of these comments. As I posted yesterday, I really hope this doesn't descend into a somewhat inane battle for the moral highground.

Yes it's becoming obvious that Rooney's motivation is fanancial but let's not be niave about this. While in no way agreeing with Rooney,there is a serious lack of quality especially in the midfield area that has been apparent for a while ,and while I do agree that SAF knows how to develop young players I don't really see signs in the generation below that leads me to believe that the " next great thing" is just around the corner....in the generation below that possibly with, Pogba,Keane,Morrison and hopefully Petrucci but how long before an opportunity is accorded?
We were in a worse state in the summer of 2006. All we banked on was the potential of rooney and ronaldo. This year we had a closer to his potential rooney and many other young talents. One quality signing and there wouldn't be much of a difference. This is Wayne giving lame excuses.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
This was the other great Fergie quote I saw last night - but I havent actually seen the video of this

Quizzed earlier on Sky Sports about Rooney's assertion that Manchester United failed to match his own ambitions, Ferguson retorted: "Have I won 30 trophies or what? Thank you, good night."​

Genius.

dev1l

SAF mentioned the young players that will replace the older players. When analyzing the up and coming players I think a particular area we are still weak in is central midfield and GK.

GK: Kusczac and Amos - not up to it , we ll eventually have to buy somone

Defence: Rafael and Evans - still inconsistent at times but they certainly will be a part of the team in the future. Smalling- so far so good. Fabio - still not up to it.
So overall, we re oK

Central Midfield - this is the problem area. OK Fletcher is still only 26 but the younger players in this area are not delivering. Anderson, despite early promise i don't think he ll make it at United. The same for Gibson. (Mind you i hope I will be proved wrong about both).

Wingers: Nani is already a world class player. Valencia - brilliant last season, unlucky with injury. Cleverley and Obertan - very promising but not there yet.

Forward: Hernanadez - up and coming goal machine, Macheda - not sure, great promise but a bit out of form lately.
If Hernandez continues to deliver we wont need new striker
Not to mention that Berbatov can probably play till he s 40 at that pace ...:lol:

Rory 7

As I posted on Tuesday...

There is a game of brinksmanship being played out through the media - it started with Rooney's agents feeding the news that he 'wants to leave' and has been escalated by his silence. Rooney's silence on his 'private life' and now his deliberate manipulation of the contract negotiations don't reflect at all well on him. Manchester United supporters now need to ask themselves the same question you ask - 'do we want a character like this at our club?'. Personally, I'm not sure I do - I said that to you a couple of weeks ago.

However, Ferguson's words today indicate they do want him, they are 'leaving the door open' - unprecedented from Ferguson in a stand-off between player and boss. So the big question for me is 'just how bad a state is the squad in?'. In a sense, despite Rooney's awful behaviour, Ferguson seems to be allowing the club to be held to ransom. I know Rooney is a unique talent, I know he was on fire last year, I know he is the best player we have. Arguably he is the only truly world class player we have. And therein lies the problem. United's all around squad, like it or not, is weak.

Our two best midfielder's are in their twilight, as is our keeper. Our defence is under-performing - perhaps because of lack of competition in the full back positions? Ironically, our forwards (including Nani) are delivering. So you could be forgiven for asking do we need Rooney that badly. I think Ferguson's statement today is a deliberate move to reassert his own power whilst also signaling to Rooney that 'we need you' - a delicate balancing act for any manager. And, despite all of my better instincts on Rooney's character, as a club we may need him for reasons of perception - as an expression of our financial resolve.

Losing Ronaldo, Tevez and Rooney two and a half years on from Moscow might actually be a signal to the footballing world that a demonstrable power-shift has taken hold in the EPL pecking order. And this time it could be viewed as a permanent power-shift. One that could be fatal to Ferguson's legacy. Of course all of this is tied up in the club finances. Personally I am not worried about the finances, in the medium term. Last year's bond issue takes the pressure off for the foreseeable future.

The real issue is our continued ability to challenge for the top two honors. Any sense that United might slump to forth place (or worse) would simply be unacceptable - particularly in financial terms. And, I think, that is where the Rooney issue really matters. If United start to be seen as second class citizens due the financial might of Chelsea and City the rot could set in pretty quickly.

So this saga is actually a battle of perceptions. Think of the chronology of events:

Jul 2003 - Chelsea are taken over by a Russian oligarch, an unprecedented spending spree ensues
Aug 2003 - United sign unknown teenager Ronaldo
Aug 2004 - United flex their continued financial strength and sign Wayne Rooney
May 2005 - United are taken over by the Glazers
May 2008 - United beat Chelsea in the Champions League Final in Moscow, balance to universe is restored
Sept 2008 - City taken over by the Abu Dhabi United Group for Development
Sept 2008 - United sign Berbatov, flexing their financial strength despite City's best efforts
May 2009 - City sign Tevez from United, the first signs of financial weakness at United underscored by the subsequent sale of Ronaldo
May 2010 - United sign Chicarito, another masterstroke akin to the Aug 2003 signing of an unknown teenager?
Sept 2010 - Rooney plunges United into crisis.....

The key figure in all of this is Ferguson, his ability to manage how the club is perceived. At the heart of that perception is the view of Manchester United as the top club in England where youth, flair and flamboyance triumphs. The question is does Ferguson think Rooney still has more to give at the ripe old age of 24 or is Rooney to be condemned to history as 'another one of the footballing mercenaries'.

I honestly believe if he is to leave then he should be let go to City to undermine, devalue and demystify any tainted title they win. In the meantime United can rebuild around the youth and by replacing our evergreen midfielders. Yes it might be barren couple of years but the heart of the club is at stake here. Will this happen? Based on what I've heard from Ferguson in the press today, no I don't. I think Ferguson views securing Wayne Rooney's signature for another four years as a statement of intent with the current crop.

Sadly, this episode could be Ferguson's final major act at Manchester United. He tried to manage the Tevez situation via the media but should have learned that ultimately money talks with the modern day footballer - hardly surprising given the seemingly bottomless pit of cash available at City. My fear, is not around the finances, but that the changes in the game outside of Manchester United could actually spell a sad end for the great man. His legacy should be a squad of players young enough to have great futures and aware enough of the privilege it is to play for Manchester United. In the end his legacy may be that he leaves behind a squad of average young talent and a hodge podge of mercenaries - leaving United in the just the same place as the rest of the Premier League...

Cina

SAF mentioned the young players that will replace the older players. When analyzing the up and coming players I think a particular area we are still weak in is central midfield and GK.

GK: Kusczac and Amos - not up to it , we ll eventually have to buy somone

Defence: Rafael and Evans - still inconsistent at times but they certainly will be a part of the team in the future. Smalling- so far so good. Fabio - still not up to it.
So overall, we re oK

Central Midfield - this is the problem area. OK Fletcher is still only 26 but the younger players in this area are not delivering. Anderson, despite early promise i don't think he ll make it at United. The same for Gibson. (Mind you i hope I will be proved wrong about both).

Wingers: Nani is already a world class player. Valencia - brilliant last season, unlucky with injury. Cleverley and Obertan - very promising but not there yet.

Forward: Hernanadez - up and coming goal machine, Macheda - not sure, great promise but a bit out of form lately.
If Hernandez continues to deliver we wont need new striker
Not to mention that Berbatov can probably play till he s 40 at that pace ...:lol:
I think from the way he's talking, he wants to use this season almost as a platform to build his next team. He's playing the youth a lot more than he used to, the games against Rangers and Bursprarararararprpar being examples of this. 2 or 3 years ago we'd have just fielded our strongest teams in these games and put the group to bed by the 4th match. If he had spent money on players over the Summer, the youth wouldn't have gotten a chance to prove their worth. So he just kept the old guns for another year in order to keep some experience in the squad. I think next Summer once he knows exactly what youth will/won't make it, he'll decide who to buy.

dev1l

"Our defence is under-performing - perhaps because of lack of competition in the full back positions"

there are 4 players fighting for 2 positions - Evra, Rafael, Brown and OShea

Transfer United Till I Die

I am totally in the know, honest
I've thought for a long time that the only time to make judgements on where the club is going is when giggs, scholes, Vds, nev finally retire. I think probably two will go this summer. If we get proper replacements then I think it's safe to say we're still moving forward. If not then it's time to accept we've got a real problem. So, anyway, let's see what happens in the next 12 months then the picture will be clearer.

Sir A1ex

"Sometimes you look in a field and you see a cow and you think it’s a better cow than the one you’ve got in your own field. It’s a fact. But it never really works out that way. It’s probably the same cow which is only as good as your own cow"
Is that anything to do with white liquid in a bottle being milk?:confused: