Fergie's six favourite games...

el eric

Newcastle away 6-2 is a great shout. I remember Eamon Dunphy saying at the time it was the greatest performance of the Premiership era. Something tells me the Roma game might not be as they were pretty much out of the game at 3-0 and really didn’t bother trying for the rest. The 2 Arsenal home hammerings were both against very weak sides so I wouldn’t count them either. Others that could possibly be off the top of my head

Barca 1-0 Home SF 2008
Bolton 4-0 away a few years ago
Juve 3-2 1999
Roma 2-0 away 2009
Porto 4-0 Home 1997?

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Are people just naming games? He said 11 players and I don't remember all of those mentioned but the goalkeeper should also have been very good. Therefor a thrashing in which the goalkeeper had nothing to do or etc. doesn't count as one of the 6.

gormless

Fulham home 06. Bolton away 06 with a Rooney hat trick. Remember Hanson calling it the best Premier League performance he can remember. The fulham game was just us coming at them from all angles

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Fulham home 06. Bolton away 06 with a Rooney hat trick. Remember Hanson calling it the best Premier League performance he can remember. The fulham game was just us coming at them from all angles
Did that have the ridiculous breakaway goal when Rooney and Ronaldo went the length of the pitch together? Good shout.

Siorac

Newcastle 1-0 April (1996)
We were battered throughout the first half that day, and Fergie gave the team the hairdryer at the break, asking them if they wanted the title as much as Newcastle. Definitely a momentous win but definitely not one when we had 11 players firing on all cylinders.

EDIT: and I don't quite understand why the Barca semi-final game gets so many mentions. Our very best player of the season, Ronaldo was total shite in that game, nowhere to be seen. Which kind of ruins the 11 out of 11 point.

204Red

That Porto game in 97 is a good shout

So is the the 2-6 vs the Arse in the Milk Cup 91

but surprised no one has mentioned the 2-0 vs Inter Milan in the CL run in 99

or 5-0 vs Forrest in 96 (which basically wrapped up the league that year)

or 2-1 vs Barca in the CWC final in 91

or 3-1 vs Liverpool with the first wave of Fergie's Fledglings in 89 I think

or 4-0 vs Wigan in the LC final in 2006, Ronaldo/ Rooney/ Saha coming out party

or 3-0 vs Chelsea in Big Phil's last game in 2008

reelworld

Our 3-2 win over Juventus in 1997/98 may be up there. I remember him talking afterwards about how sometimes a team performes to its absolute best and how that was one of those rare times.
We were a bit shit in the first 20 minutes, but then Giggs took over and simply unplayable. It was prolly the time the Italians started to take notice on Giggsy, and they fear him ever since

Sylar

Inter 2-0 at home is a good shout. I remember Schmikes making some good saves as well (didnt May or Berg clear one of the line in that game?)

It was actually the third Euro game Rooney had scored in, he'd scored an equaliser in Rome a week or two previous.
Haha, doh ! rofl, good point.

Tribec

I'm not sure if this would be included, but it wouldn't shock me to see it in the selection, but the 1-0 win against Everton back in 94. The first game after Sir Matt had died, how we didn't knock 10 past them I don't know even today, but it was a pure football master class, I think we hit the post 5 or 6 times and Big Nev had one of his last great games.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Norwich away (they were good back then) Beat them 1-3 with some amazing goals. Set us up for that 1st title. I think the following game was the 2-1 vs Sheff Wed

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Also I think Barcelona at home in the CL semi has to rank up there as a near perfect game

One of our 3 games against Chelsea in the CL and League late last season. They were all fantastic

United Fan 101

Holds a Ph.D. in Football
I do think our 0-0 in Barcelona would be up there, if not one of the 6. It may seem strange on the surface, but I struggle to find a player that night that wasn't performing at their best. Penalties can always be missed, especially so early on - for me that bares no relevance.

Yassir

For me, and I stress that this is for me it would be:

Norwich 1 United 3 1993
Arsenal 1 United 2 fa semi 1999
Juve 2 United 3 1999
Newcastle 2 United 6 2003
United 4 Villa 0 2008
Bolton 0 United 4 2006

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Some truly bizzare shouts in here.

Porto 4-0, and the Newcastle 2-6 however are very good calls.

IanDangerously

Chelsea 3-0 in January 2009 was one where we blitzed them from the start.

Perhaps 3-0 against Liverpool in 2008? Theyre not the biggest scores but we played vry well against good opposition on those days
I was thinking about that game as well. Van Der Sar had a few saves to make and did so well but for the most part we were creating chance after chance after chance, was a great performance and of course Ronaldo's first goal against Liverpool. Admittedly Mascherano talked himself off and they played over half the match with 10 men but you can only beat whats in fron of you and we were excellent.

Sylar

I do think our 0-0 in Barcelona would be up there, if not one of the 6. It may seem strange on the surface, but I struggle to find a player that night that wasn't performing at their best. Penalties can always be missed, especially so early on - for me that bares no relevance.
I think we had more clear cut chances than Barca. We should have had a second penalty right after that. And Carrick had a really good chance in the second half.

We did play that near perfectly.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
The 0-0 and 1-0 against Barcelona where fantastic team performances. As was the 0-0 2005 FA Cup Final that we lost on penalties actually.

Irwin

I'm fairly sure the 4-0 vs Porto would have been one of them. I'm guessing the 6 games were against very good teams in order for our defence to have played well so its unlikely to be the bigger wins.

reelworld

Good shout on the 4-0 Porto game. IIRC, Cantona played as an attacking mid with Johnsen playing holding mid flanked with Giggs and Beckham, with Cole and Solskjaer upfront. They didn't have a chance didn't they apart from the first minute?

Cling Bak

Hi, I'm Barry Scott
Arsenal 6-1 has to be one of them as well.
Amazing day, but Arsenal were a bit of a mess. In a few years, that might be like suggesting the 8-2 game recently.

4-0 over Chelsea in the FA Cup then? 1994
We were crap that day. Chelsea looked the better side for the first half and we needed two penalties to sort us out. Once the third went in (almost immediately after), it was game over.

Beating Arsenal after going down to 10 men, with Giggs' wonder goal in the FA Cup is a possibility.
I doubt Phil Neville could be included in the 11. Nor Keane, to be honest!

Our 3-2 win over Juventus in 1997/98 may be up there.
How can anybody possibly get this wrong?!

Cling Bak

Hi, I'm Barry Scott
We won 3-2 against Juve in 97/98 at Old Trafford. ;)

The 98/99 one was more memorable, though!
Doh! OK, yes we did. In that case I'll let him off, but it was only early stages of the group, despite being a very good performance.

Back in my box.

Amir

The 5-3 over Chelsea in the FA Cup may have been there. Or at least the first 75 minutes of it!

Alilaw

Fiorentina in the group stages of cl (00 I think)? Dimly recall fergie raving about the performance. Although probably a stretch to say bosnich played well - definitely should have done better with the batistuta shot.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
And we haven't won the Cup since.

• 2005: We lose to Arsenal in the final on Penalties. We battered them for 120 minutes but lose out in the lottery.
  • 2006: Liverpool beat us in the 5th round ending an 85 year weight for a victory against us in the Cup. Am I going crazy or is that when smith broke his leg?
  • 2007: Chelsea beat us in the first Wembley final to get the title of first club team to win at new Wembley. (and last)
  • 2008: Pompey beat us in the 6th round, and if I recall David James played outstandingly as Portsmouth where left the only Premier League team in the competition for the Semi Finals. Destroys chance of Treble repeat.
  • 2009: We lose on penalties to Everton in the Semi Final. I barely remember that game for some reason, but I was gutted. Destroys chance of Treble repeat.
  • 2010: We lost to rivals Leeds in the 3rd round, with a dire performance. Actually I have no idea if the performance was dire, but I certainly remember it being shit. Chelsea do the double.
  • 2011: We lose to Manchester City in the FA Cup semi. We where not good enough, and Scholes got a stupid red card for a needless high challenge.

fecking hell that reads like a (post mortem)(emo's poem)(something else) delete as appropriate. No wonder I'm starting to see so much hate for the FA Cup on here, the younger generation haven't seen us win it. We have no god given right to, but many of those where losses to rivals, two penalty defeats and two final defeats.

It seems like only a few years ago that the media where harping on about "Alex Ferguson has never lost a Semi Final"

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
4-0 FA cup win against Arsenal a few years back has to be one.. We were tremendous in that game, and all players played really well..

ralphie88

The 2-0 at Montpellier and the 3-1 at Legia Warsaw in the 1991 CWC were stunning performances at the time.

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
And we haven't won the Cup since.

• 2005: We lose to Arsenal in the final on Penalties. We battered them for 120 minutes but lose out in the lottery.
  • 2006: Liverpool beat us in the 5th round ending an 85 year weight for a victory against us in the Cup. Am I going crazy or is that when smith broke his leg?
  • 2007: Chelsea beat us in the first Wembley final to get the title of first club team to win at new Wembley. (and last)
  • 2008: Pompey beat us in the 6th round, and if I recall David James played outstandingly as Portsmouth where left the only Premier League team in the competition for the Semi Finals. Destroys chance of Treble repeat.
  • 2009: We lose on penalties to Everton in the Semi Final. I barely remember that game for some reason, but I was gutted. Destroys chance of Treble repeat.
  • 2010: We lost to rivals Leeds in the 3rd round, with a dire performance. Actually I have no idea if the performance was dire, but I certainly remember it being shit. Chelsea do the double.
  • 2011: We lose to Manchester City in the FA Cup semi. We where not good enough, and Scholes gave away as stupid red card.

fecking hell that reads like a (post mortem)(emo's poem)(something else) delete as appropriate. No wonder I'm starting to see so much hate for the FA Cup on here, the younger generation haven't seen us win it. We have no god given right to, but many of those where losses to rivals, two penalty defeats and two final defeats.

It seems like only a few years ago that the media where harping on about "Alex Ferguson has never lost a Semi Final"
That was the Portsmouth loss a year before. I still don't know how we lost to Portsmouth (Mr Atkinson though may know a few reasons), but it was one of the worst FA cup losses in my memory because it effectively denied us a chance to repeat the treble (there weren't even any strong teams left in the FA cup at that year).