Fernandinho's Munich air disaster twitter post?

Robbie Boy

I initially felt this but I can't find a reason for someone posting a plane and an explosion emoji and then a laughter one.
I'm with you. Sometimes, some on here love to be hysterical and make something out of nothing. But in this scenario, I'm just struggling to find a plausible explanation. I mean, it would just be a ridiculous coincidence even if a 'plausible' explanation is offered up. I don't want to believe that someone - in the media scrutinised world we live in - could be that thick. But I can't offer anything up to suggest it meant anything else.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
It certainly doesn't look good given the timing, give you that, but I find it hard to believe a professional footballer could be so stupid. He would have to be mentally unwell to even consider posting something like that. Does he have a history of mental illness?

If this is proven to be true, then he should be banned from Old Trafford for life. A football fan tweeting something like this would receive no less of a punishment, so why should a player?
I honestly don’t think he’s done it on purpose, I think it’s entirely unintentional and makes some sense within the context of his photos. Where I disagree with others is that you just can’t get away with that level of ignorance in this day and age. Coincidence or not, intention of not, he opens a can of worms here for rivals to post indirect attacks on clubs, fans and events.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Didn't Terry and Lampard somewhat mock the events of 9/11? Can't remember the details, so sorry if I'm wrong here, but think it's a weak excuse that no one would be that thick.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Once again, that's a different scenario. Because the word he used is offensive in English. I would love to know under what grounds you would want Fernandinho banned because of some emojis he used
But the word is not English is it?
Both him and Cavani most likely didn't know there's a room for misinterpretation in what they said/did. So the cases are rather similar but the meaning behind them are not. If the FA decide it's not worthy to ban Fernandinho then it's because there was no racism involved, if there was he must be banned surely. Which is weird considering footballers can be ignorant and tweet all sorts of offensive comments in any kind of form. If his tweet isn't offensive then he wouldn't have deleted it. I see it the exact same case as Cavani's, it's just that this one didn't involve racism. So in my opinion, he should be banned or fined.

TrustInJanuzaj

So is it okay to post an explosion, skyscraper picture and laughing face on the day of 9/11 just because you sold an office the day before?

MDFC Manager

cnut escapes getting carded for the most blatant offences. Hard to see him getting any punishment for this.

Gerald G

But the word is not English is it?
Both him and Cavani most likely didn't know there's a room for misinterpretation in what they said/did. So the cases are rather similar but the meaning behind them are not. If the FA decide it's not worthy to ban Fernandinho then it's because there was no racism involved, if there was he must be banned surely. Which is weird considering footballers can be ignorant and tweet all sorts of offensive comments in any kind of form. If his tweet isn't offensive then he wouldn't have deleted it.
So tell me what the FA can charge Fernandinho with?

TrustInJanuzaj

Are you trying to make this the new "so you were happy when we sold Jaap Stam?"?
I’m merely trying to understand what I can and can’t say in modern society because as far as I can see this is miles worse than what Cavani did yet one is deemed offensive and one isn’t. I genuinely don’t know what you can and can’t say.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
I personally wouldn’t have punished Cavani once it was established there was no intent. People need to stop this modern trend of piling on for any little thing. Why the desperation to be offended by absolutely fecking everything? :lol:
Completely agree!

lex talionis

Didn't Terry and Lampard somewhat mock the events of 9/11? Can't remember the details, so sorry if I'm wrong here, but think it's a weak excuse that no one would be that thick.
Yes, they did. Documented, and Chelsea did fine them.

The idea that a professional footballer would not be so stupid as to post such a fukked up tweet is naive.

MattofManchester

just can’t get away with that level of ignorance in this day and age.
Without looking it up, do you know what day Holocaust Memorial Day is on? A day in remembrance of one of the greatest tragedies in human history?
I could name others that had a massive effect but I'll stick with one you should most likely know.

Let's not pretend we're not all guilty of the same thing.

kettledrumhamster

Jesus, get a grip. Absolutely nothing to see here. Trying to make this into something to balance out the Cavani ban is absolute rank bad taste.

Aidan Azar

Supports
Chelsea
The explosion and football emotes are because he scored a powerful header. The plane and laughing emotes are for the celebration where he is pictured with a big grin on his face. This is my interpretation.

I honestly just think it was an unfortunate coincidence myself.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
So tell me what the FA can charge Fernandinho with?
I don't know, i'm not the FA. But they found a way to ban Cavani for saying a word that was not even English but translated as 'racist' in England. So if they want, they could charge Fernandinho for tweeting an offensive comment. A big if they want but since it only offended a few United fans, probably they won't.

Which only shows just how ridiculous the Cavani ban was. The FA made a mistake (granted it involved a very sensitive subject to the general public) and because of that, of course people will draw a line and make a connection to that case when something similar happens. I don't know why you find it funny or silly, as i said they're the same thing and both are offensive but this time it's a different kind of offensive as it didn't involve race, that's the only difference.

TrustInJanuzaj

In regards to possible sanctions from footballing authortities, maybe not, considering Cavani's treatment.

In regards to possible public furore being directed at the player then yes, absolutely.
Oh I know I don’t think he’s done it with malice. Doesn’t change the fact I now know he’s thick as pig sh***

Last edited:

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I refuse to believe that it is true. Absolutely no way that someone can be that stupit/moronic/evil. No way it is true. It must be some explanation

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Very obviously deliberate. Surely it’ll be investigated?

TrustInJanuzaj

Without looking it up, do you know what day Holocaust Memorial Day is on? A day in remembrance of one of the greatest tragedies in human history?
I could name others that had a massive effect but I'll stick with one you should most likely know.

Let's not pretend we're not all guilty of the same thing.
It’s not even remotely the same. He’s a professional footballer playing for one of our biggest rivals. His very club tweeted about the event. He lives in the city in which it’s a massive thing. His ignorance here is indefensible for me.

Dan_F

So is it okay to post an explosion, skyscraper picture and laughing face on the day of 9/11 just because you sold an office the day before?
That’s such a dumb comparison. One of the most recognisable events in recent history, which is literally referred to by the date it took place vs something that even a lot of United fans couldn’t even tell you the date of.

If the post was on any other day it would make complete sense. A explosion to a skyscraper to celebrate selling an office would make no sense at any point ever. He’s pretty obviously celebrating a powerful header.

I have little care in defending City players, but unless it comes out that he’s done it intentionally, you’re all coming off as paranoid and RAWKish for being so certain about this.

TrustInJanuzaj

The explosion and football emotes are because he scored a powerful header. The plane and laughing emotes are for the celebration where he is pictured with a big grin on his face. This is my interpretation.

I honestly just think it was an unfortunate coincidence myself.
Yeh of course it is, I don’t think it should change the punishment though.

TrustInJanuzaj

That’s such a dumb comparison. One of the most recognisable events in recent history, which is literally referred to by the date it took place vs something that even a lot of United fans couldn’t even tell you the date of.

If the post was on any other day it would make complete sense. A explosion to a skyscraper to celebrate selling an office would make no sense at any point ever. He’s pretty obviously celebrating a powerful header.

I have little care in defending City players, but unless it comes out that he’s done it intentionally, you’re all coming off as paranoid and RAWKish for being so certain about this.
Course it would make sense, explosion to celebrate the sale, skyscraper to symbolise the office, laughing to symbolise the joy. I agree it would be a terrible tweet but would it be offensive on that day, yes.

El Zoido

This is very odd and I find it really hard to believe it’s a coincidence, considering the timing. It would be a strange thing to tweet at any time of the year, let alone on the anniversary of the tragedy.

hubbuh

No, I'm just not so blinded by my support of United that I see every single thing as a deliberate insult against us.
Oh, give over. Even if you do just think it's some unfortunate coincidence there's enough in it to warrant a discussion. Why do people insist on trying to shut down debates by belittling and demeaning other people.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
No, I'm just not so blinded by my support of United that I see every single thing as a deliberate insult against us.
I agree, I think it's an innocent tweet gone wrong (I hope anyway), but we have to consider the alternative given the content and timing it was released.

It really doesn't look good at all.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I want him and City to at least get fined for this. I dislike city but that's not the only reason. It's the unfairness. A silly case like this affected United so it should affect City too because the FA ignored both context and intent. If they end up making another mistake by fining/banning other players for doing similar thing to Cavani then so be it, let it be consistent towards all players. Punish all or none at all. Happens when you ignore context, all needs to be equal regardless of the truth.