g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Fidel Castro dies aged 90

jackofalltrades

Hardly. You should read Arthur Schlesinger's thoughts on the issue -- Robert Kennedy wanted to bring "the terrors of the earth" down upon Cuba; whilst JFK wanted to invade before the Russians ever even set foot in Havana.
My bad as I didn't make myself clear. I meant one of the alternatives, Clinton as it turned out, to Trump

Last edited:

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
What did the Cuban people gain by all of it in the end beyond isolation, economic impoverishment, and 1950s American cars.
Apparently that's the way forward globally :lol:
http://web.archive.org/web/20140209164418/http://www.science.org.au/nova/newscientist/107ns_004.htm
For each nation with reliable data, they calculated how many planets would be needed to support the global population if everybody adopted that nation's lifestyle as it was in 1978, and in 2003. They then expressed each figure as an Earth-equivalent ratio (EER) and plotted each value against the nation's corresponding UN Human Development Index. The index is a score of between 0 and 1, and is a function of a country's average life expectancy, adult literacy, level of schooling and per capita GDP.

To develop sustainably, the researchers assume a country must have an HDI of at least 0.8 and a maximum EER of 1 (see Diagram). A lower HDI would mean a nation is not developing adequately, while a higher EER means it is gobbling up too many resources.

By looking at each country's historical trajectory, a clear pattern emerges. People everywhere have a better lifestyle, but their footprint is growing at a rate proportional to their wealth. Developed countries in particular have done very little to reduce their impact. Only one nation, Cuba, is developing sustainably, and probably not for long (Ecological Economics, DOI: 10.1016/j.ecolecon.2007.08.017). "Cubans have high life expectancy and literacy, and were forced into a smaller footprint because of the oil embargo," says Wackernagel. "But they are now economically more successful, and will tend to use more resources."

Kaos

Slaps crippling sanctions on Cuba for being communist state, complains that communist state doesn't work.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
She's a moron.
Why is it moronic thinking that giving people equal access to political parties messages would be more democratic than a system where people only hear a message if the party has countless millions of dollars to spend on advertising?

Carolina Red

Staff
Slaps crippling sanctions on Cuba for being communist state, complains that communist state doesn't work.
1. Would a truly communist country need to trade?

2. Isn't it an indictment on "communism" in itself to make an argument that Cuba needed trade with the massive capitalist power to the north for its system to work?

3. The US embargo didn't cut Cuba off from everyone. They were a member of Comecon, and other nations didn't follow the US embargo.

4. The argument could be made that communism is why the embargo started, but not why it stuck. Castro's human rights record, especially after the fall of the Soviet Union is much more to blame for the current existance of the embargo than "communism".

Last edited:

oates

No one is a match for his two masters degrees
Scout
Supports
Arsenal

An absolutely stunning example of how the BBC try to manipulate the terms of debate and subvert reality. This really is an absolutely remarkable interview.

Kaos

1. Would a truly communist country need to trade?

2. Isn't it an indictment on "communism" in itself to make an argument that Cuba needed trade with the massive capitalist power to the north for its system to work?

3. The US embargo didn't cut Cuba off from everyone. They were a member of Comecon, and other nations didn't follow the US embargo.
I don't see why not. Communism is a state model, that's no reason to impede it from trading or eliciting diplomacy with other nations, especially in the increasingly globalised world. The Capitalist world has been all too happy to trade with China, even well before its economic liberalisation initiatives.

4. The argument could be made that communism is why the embargo started, but not why it stuck. Castro's human rights record, especially after the fall of the Soviet Union is much more to blame for the current existance of the embargo than "communism".
With all due respect this is nonsense. Not only has the US traded and continues to trade with nations who's human rights offenses puts Cuba's to shame, but it is also actively allied to them. By your logic a country like Saudi Arabia should be first on the list to be slapped with an embargo or sanctions, yet the are considered the US's biggest ally in the Middle East after Israel, a country with its own impressive portfolio of human rights offenses. Let's be honest, human rights is the last filter a country like the US uses to determine its diplomatic relationship with any given nation. So I sincerely doubt Cuba's human rights record is the culprit here to their diplomatic misfortunes with their northern neighbours.

Kaos

An absolutely stunning example of how the BBC try to manipulate the terms of debate and subvert reality. This really is an absolutely remarkable interview.
Christ, she even puts wretched Kay Burley to shame with that line of questioning.

nick2004

A regime that doesn't permit you to leave if you don't like it, is indefensible. The whole country was a jail. Every communist country was/is a jail.

Raoul

Admin
Staff

I don't see much of an issue with her questions. There is a prevailing narrative throughout western media that Castro was a dictator who kept political prisoners, utilized firing squads, limited individual freedoms etc. So her question was little more than an attempt to answer that narrative, which the guest did very well.

oates

Scout
Supports
Arsenal
I don't see much of an issue with her questions. There is a prevailing narrative throughout western media that Castro was a dictator who kept political prisoners, utilized firing squads, limited individual freedoms etc. So her question was little more than an attempt to answer that narrative, which the guest did very well.
I guess your point of view differs. No problem.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Why is it moronic thinking that giving people equal access to political parties messages would be more democratic than a system where people only hear a message if the party has countless millions of dollars to spend on advertising?
She's making that plea for a more democratic system while at the same time praising an actual tyrant as a symbol of justice. Another in a long line of moronic Stein moments.

oates

Scout
Supports
Arsenal
Sorry @Raoul - thinking about it my earlier answer must be pretty unsatisfactory but I wasn't defending Castro in any way however the interview struck me as funny. I'm not sure it will come across to you but the interviewer's growing frustration with the interviewee not giving the hoped for answers seems obvious to me. With the BBC being slightly unsatisfactory from time to time I was wondering whether the interviewer and producers had invited in the wrong person or whether they were asking the wrong questions, either way they hadn't done their research very well.

I'm sure it's been said already that many Western countries have similar records on political prisoners, firing squads (death squads), limited individual freedoms. We believe we have a different choice in democracy but what are we left with after one/two years of electioneering maybe in the US or say the UK? - Election promises discarded and no accountability for the next four years. Britain has certainly been guilty of offending against most if not all of your list over the centuries and never more than today.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Sorry @Raoul - thinking about it my earlier answer must be pretty unsatisfactory but I wasn't defending Castro in any way however the interview struck me as funny. I'm not sure it will come across to you but the interviewer's growing frustration with the interviewee not giving the hoped for answers seems obvious to me. With the BBC being slightly unsatisfactory from time to time I was wondering whether the interviewer and producers had invited in the wrong person or whether they were asking the wrong questions, either way they hadn't done their research very well.

I'm sure it's been said already that many Western countries have similar records on political prisoners, firing squads (death squads), limited individual freedoms. We believe we have a different choice in democracy but what are we left with after one/two years of electioneering maybe in the US or say the UK? - Election promises discarded and no accountability for the next four years. Britain has certainly been guilty of offending against most if not all of your list over the centuries and never more than today.
No worries, I didn't interpret your post as defending Castro. This sort of interview is pretty common in the US, especially on the 24 hours news channels (CNN, MSNBC, FoxNews) where interviewers start with an existing narrative and attempt to pigeonhole guests into answering it, and in the process generate an argument that attracts viewers. Haven't seen much of this on the Beeb, but am not surprised it is being used elsewhere.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
As an American I find the rhetoric about Castro from senior American officials and statesmen a bit rich, seeing how our application of "democracy" around the world during the cold war went.

Castro wasn't a saint. Merely a product of his time who had the misfortune of standing up to the US, 100 miles from Miami.
Well said, especially the second part. I think it (sadly) says a lot about the political climate the US created in their own hemisphere that the ones opposing them ended up as little monsters as well.

Mussolini I believe.

I mean, heck... Hitler rapidly brought Germany out of the Depression.
OT but that's not really true. Or did I miss sarcasm here?

Carolina Red

Staff
I don't see why not. Communism is a state model, that's no reason to impede it from trading or eliciting diplomacy with other nations, especially in the increasingly globalised world. The Capitalist world has been all too happy to trade with China, even well before its economic liberalisation initiatives.
So a communist nation needs trade with capitalist nation in order to survive? Again, an indictment on communism.

Also, that the US has traded with China, Vietnam, etc points away from the idea that communist ideology is what has caused the embargo to endure.
With all due respect this is nonsense. Not only has the US traded and continues to trade with nations who's human rights offenses puts Cuba's to shame, but it is also actively allied to them. By your logic a country like Saudi Arabia should be first on the list to be slapped with an embargo or sanctions, yet the are considered the US's biggest ally in the Middle East after Israel, a country with its own impressive portfolio of human rights offenses. Let's be honest, human rights is the last filter a country like the US uses to determine its diplomatic relationship with any given nation. So I sincerely doubt Cuba's human rights record is the culprit here to their diplomatic misfortunes with their northern neighbours.
It's not "my logic". Read the language of things like the Cuban Democracy Act of 1992 or the Helms-Burton Act of 1996. In this instance, I'm just echoing acts of Congress.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
It's not communist ideology that means the embargo continues, it's the effrontery of communist ideology perceived to have set an example for other countries within the USA's immediate sphere of influence to follow. You can find traces of this by studying the South American countries and their reactions -- they demanded for years that Cuba be permitted to attend Americas conference, have equal rights, etc. Condemned the US for its treatment of Cuba, threatened to block the US from negotiations -- then diplomatic relations are somewhat normalized. That had nothing to do with human rights either, it's just geopolitical maneuvering.

Human rights has nothing to do with it. The terror campaign against Cuba targeted civilians en masse, as did Batista's regime which was explicitly backed by the US.

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States
Cuba tells the US to feck off (which is of course well within their rights to do), then can't understand why the US decides to block economic ties with Cuba (which is of course well within their rights to do).

Cuba gets billions in aid and trade from USSR and other countries, still blames US for failures of its own economy.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Just wanna add that my parents grew up in the Soviet Union and their life was pretty good back then. Communism didn't do them harm at all. Not saying communism is good because of that, but it's not always bad.

Carolina Red

Staff
Just wanna add that my parents grew up in the Soviet Union and their life was pretty good back then. Communism didn't do them harm at all. Not saying communism is good because of that, but it's not always bad.
I'm actually very interested in what daily life was like for the average person in the USSR.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I'm actually very interested in what daily life was like for the average person in the USSR.
Too many regional differences in order to accurately get a view of daily life for the average person. Georgia was usually one of the top 3 countries in the SU in terms of living conditions and income. My parents grew up in Georgia.

Kaos

So a communist nation needs trade with capitalist nation in order to survive? Again, an indictment on communism.
Arguably all nations need trade to survive, regardless of the state model they adopt. Being a communist state doesn't mean adopting isolationism, quite the contrary in fact.

Also, that the US has traded with China, Vietnam, etc points away from the idea that communist ideology is what has caused the embargo to endure.

It's not "my logic". Read the language of things like the Cuban Democracy Act of 1992 or the Helms-Burton Act of 1996. In this instance, I'm just echoing acts of Congress.
It's not simply the fact they were a communist nation. Its the fact they had the audacity to overthrow a US-backed dictator, and replace him with a communist state on the US's doorstep. The US had a lot of corporate interests in Batista's Cuba, so naturally they weren't best pleased when some Commies toppled all that.

All these acts you quote are red herrings. There's a reason you don't have a Saudi Democracy Act or a Bahrain Liberation initiative in congress. Human rights and democracy have never served as motives for US foreign policy. See the Contras in Nicaragua, the toppling of democratic regimes in Chile, Iran and the Congo. See Saudi Arabia, Yemen, Bahrain, heck see Saddam pre-Kuwait invasion. I can go on.

Kaos

Cuba tells the US to feck off (which is of course well within their rights to do), then can't understand why the US decides to block economic ties with Cuba (which is of course well within their rights to do).

Cuba gets billions in aid and trade from USSR and other countries, still blames US for failures of its own economy.
Actually, it was the US that told Cuba to feck off at first. Cuba had actually reached out, but the US had started imposing trade restrictions the moment the Cubans had the audacity to start nationalising a few key industries.

jackofalltrades

Seems an appropriate time to dig out Auden's poem, Funeral Blues.

Stop all the clocks, cut off the phone,
Prevent the dog from barking with a juicy bone,
Silence the pianos and with muffled drum
Bring out the coffin, let the mourners come.

Let aeroplanes circle moaning overhead
Scribbling on the sky the message He Is Dead,
Put crepe bows round the white necks of the public doves,
Let the traffic policemen wear black cotton gloves.

It captures the politico-religious sentiment prevelent during times like this.