Fidel Castro dies aged 90

PvsNP

Fidel Castro, Cuba's former president and leader of the Communist revolution, has died aged 90, state TV has announced.

It provided no further details.

Fidel Castro ruled Cuba as a one-party state for almost half a century before handing over the powers to his brother Raul in 2008.

His supporters praised him as a man who had given Cuba back to the people. But his opponents accused him of brutally suppressing opposition.

In April, Fidel Castro gave a rare speech on the final day of the country's Communist Party congress.

He acknowledged his advanced age but said Cuban communist concepts were still valid and the Cuban people "will be victorious".
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-38114953?ns_mchannel

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
Finally...:lol: I guess he felt comfortable dying knowing that the US is properly screwed.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
Almost everyone else in the upper reaches of government is ancient so it'll be interesting to see the direction of the Cuban government going forward. Raul will likely feel more free to reform after some time.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Almost everyone else in the upper reaches of government is ancient so it'll be interesting to see the direction of the Cuban government going forward. Raul will likely feel more free to reform after some time.
They will go full on Democratic in a few years. Just need Raul to wind down and a new group of leaders to emerge. Once Western money and tourists come in and locals gain access to a higher standard of living, there will be no turning back.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
Finally...:lol: I guess he felt comfortable dying knowing that the US is properly screwed.
Good point

It's interesting, I suppose many are even unaware that he remains quite revered by Cubans in the country.

Kudos to Castro who ousted a US backed dictator on their doorstep and inspired millions in Latin America to resist, yet lived to be 90

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Good point

It's interesting, I suppose many are even unaware that he remains quite revered by Cubans in the country.

Kudos to Castro who ousted a US backed dictator on their doorstep and inspired millions in Latin America to resist, yet lived to be 90
What did the Cuban people gain by all of it in the end beyond isolation, economic impoverishment, and 1950s American cars.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
What did the Cuban people gain by all of it in the end beyond isolation, economic impoverishment, and 1950s American cars.
What does anyone gain from resistance to an oppressive force, self respect & in the case of Cubans a joie de vivre. Americans, including those in Little Havana might learn a little something from that

bleedred

Yeah, right....By that logic, whey did we even fight the Nazis....

Raoul

Admin
Staff
What does anyone gain from resistance to an oppressive force, self respect & in the case of Cubans a joie de vivre. Americans, including those in Little Havana might learn a little something from that
What value was there to be gained by resisting Democracy and basic individual freedoms ? All it has done is keep generations of Cubans stuck in the 1950s.

bleedred

What value was there to be gained by resisting Democracy and basic individual freedoms ? All it has done is keep generations of Cubans stuck in the 1950s.
eh??.... Castro overthrew a dictator....

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Maybe the Brits can send Jeremy C as replacement.

bleedred

That was a tiny sliver of his reign. What about the decades after ?
No.. Your initial argument was that cubans should not have "resisted".. was it not??..

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
Don't you think the US played a part in this by applying the trade embargo and sanctions?

InfiniteBoredom

Don't you think the US played a part in this by applying the trade embargo and sanctions?
Partly, yes. Administrative directives modelled on Soviet economic policies were the main reason though.

20th century commies aren't known for their economic brilliance.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Definitely, but Castro's rigid adhereance to his revolutionary ways obviously didn't help much. The older generation of Cubans who fled Castro's regime by boat wound up living a life in Miami that all Cubans should've had access to since the beginning.

bleedred

Definitely, but Castro's rigid adhereance to his revolutionary ways obviously didn't help much. The older generation of Cubans who fled Castro's regime by boat wound up living a life in Miami that all Cubans should've had access to since the beginning.
How exactly?.

Untied

It is interesting that on indexes of national happiness Cuba tends to rank higher than the USA and U.K. for example

Florida Man

Partly, yes. Administrative directives modelled on Soviet economic policies were the main reason though.

20th century commies aren't known for their economic brilliance.
It's been a while since I've dived into these topics about Cuba. But can you elaborate on this a bit more? Even with the Soviet economic model, surely Cuba could have faired much better if given the option to trade with its neighbors including the US. It almost seems we cut them off just to make a point to the Soviets.

Good point about Castro. For a while now, I've believed that someone who leads a violent revolution shouldn't lead the government of the people. Castro with Che was good for the former. But you have to wonder that with the all the sanctions, assassination attempts, and the enemy being on your geographical doorstep, how all of that may have prompted a more dictatorial rule more than it would have if the US didn't get involved in those ways?

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
The democracy of the US backed dictator that spurred the revolution to begin with? Can't rewrite history

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
It is interesting that on indexes of national happiness Cuba tends to rank higher than the USA and U.K. for example
And from first hand experience, it's a beautiful thing to be immersed in - one of the best things about visiting the beautiful country

Florida Man

I wonder how that was conducted in Cuba, and if fear of government backlash had any influence in how the Cubans answered. Just thinking out loud, though.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
His comunist model doesn't apply nowadays and he couldn't adapt to the times,however the embargo was brutal,condemned 23 times in the United Nations.
Despite this he did quite well,from all the latin americans that I met I'd say that they have the higher educational level.
For what I heard from some families visiting relatives the situation of the country was chaotic at the end.
Now their country will be bought in pieces.

Last edited:

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
His comunist model doesn't apply nowadays and he couldn't adapt to the times,however the embargo was brutal,condemned 23 times in the United Nations.
Despite this he did quite well,from all the latin americans that I met I'd say that they have the higher educacional level.
For what I heard from some families visiting relatives the situation of the country was caotic at the end.
Now their country will be bought in pieces.
I've been to Havana and spoken to young people there who all had higher degrees (and education is free there, of course). Unfortunately, the pinnacle of ambition for them was working as a tour bus guide, where they could make decent tips in US dollars. I'll always remember one young woman, she was days away from giving birth but still had to do her tour guide duties. She told me she had to do that, there was no other option.

It's a place I've always remembered, a host of contradictions.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
Universal health care, higher literacy rate than the US and university education for all - at least historians will note that was Cuba under Castro and decades of oppressive US/UN embargos rather than the richest & most powerful country

jackofalltrades

Great revolutionary, morally dubious person, terrible ruler.
That's it in a nutshell. The regime he ousted was dreadful but the revolution instigated equally bad repression with, I think, around 10,000 executed after victory, Then he was trapped in the Marxist economic ideology of the times, which even Eric Hobsbawm said was a disaster.

Amazing too the widespread influence and interventions of his regime - Angola , where maybe he saved it from a South African takeover, and of course Latin America. A real thorn in the side of the US & co.

Last edited:

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
That's it in a nutshell. The regime he ousted was dreadful but the revolution instigated equally bad repression with, I think, around 10,000 executed after victory, Then he was trapped in the Marxist economic ideology of the times, which even Eric Hobsbawm said was a disaster.

Amazing too the widespread influence and interventions of his regime - Angola , where maybe he saved it from a South African takeover, and of course Latin America. A real thorn in the side of the US & co.
Certainly you become a thorn in the side of those trying to ensure instability & propping up dictators - then feel the wrath of their inhumanity through decades of oppressive embargos that isolated them from the world. You step into Cuba and you have a sense of going back in time yet as mentioned, their happiness index is among the highest in the world.

There's a big reason why he's been so revered in Latin America, one of the few (Along with Che) who stood up to Imperial fascism - i.e., I suspect Chileans would have loved Castro over Pinochet

jackofalltrades

Certainly you become a thorn in the side of those trying to ensure instability & propping up dictators - then feel the wrath of their inhumanity through decades of oppressive embargos that isolated them from the world. You step into Cuba and you have a sense of going back in time yet as mentioned, their happiness index is among the highest in the world.

There's a big reason why he's been so revered in Latin America, one of the few (Along with Che) who stood up to Imperial fascism - i.e., I suspect Chileans would have loved Castro over Pinochet
In the context of Latin America Castro was far from the worst. El Salvador, Guatemala were undoubtedly so, Chile and Argentina were dire.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
I've been to Havana and spoken to young people there who all had higher degrees (and education is free there, of course). Unfortunately, the pinnacle of ambition for them was working as a tour bus guide, where they could make decent tips in US dollars. I'll always remember one young woman, she was days away from giving birth but still had to do her tour guide duties. She told me she had to do that, there was no other option.

It's a place I've always remembered, a host of contradictions.
Yes,I felt the same with the cubans that I've met,fruit sellers with a chemistry degree, waitresses with philology,etc.
A strange mix of satiety but defense of the revolution at the same time.
I've also met the other side of the coin, cubans in the exile wishing to see him dead,and something similar start to happen with the venezuelans.
Fidel was too stubborn but USA should have stopped all this in 1991