g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Gaming FIFA 17

pascell

Has anyone got any tips for defending corners/crosses or so you just have to accept you'll concede around every other game from one?
It's inevitable you'll concede. I've got the 'change player' setting on air balls and the cpu is all over the gaff when it's trying to change my players, so annoying.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Sometimes it's fun and other times it infuriates me. I can play for an hour in my season and have the most frustrating game at home to Ipswich and then batter City away. Then the next time I play it can feel really realistic and I have fun and challenging games, or beat the fodder I'm supposed to beat. It sometimes feels like I don't know which game I'm going to play when I turn my console on. Fun fifa or frustrating Ai fifa.
That's how I found previous incarnations. FUT was infuriating in that respect, I spent months on FUT14 building up a really strong side and each season played out identically whether online or AI. 11 Point Promotion target, 14 point Champions, first 3 games I'd win either easily or with the rub of the green, then when I was trying to get over the line my players would turn to shit. Passing was sloppy, defenders would be clunky, give away penalties and making mistakes and I'd rarely get that 1-5 points in the final games.

In the end I decided to drop down the divisions to see how it played lower down and if I was just being shit, I forfeited my way down to Div 10 and tried to join games in an online season and the server was only matching me with 2 other players, one with a similar full gold team, the other with a full rare silver team with 100% chemistry and the game play was weird, like a hidden weighting system was bit screwed up and doing stupid things (favoured neither of us to be honest). More than anything, what pissed me off was the fact I'd spent a shit load of time (and money cause I was an idiot) building this side and rather than having any sort of advantage from that, it was handicapping me and only matching me with similar strength sides.

The whole game is carefully designed to encourage spending, I'm convinced of it.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I'm having huge issues playing it online the last week. Constant lags, circle showing up on the bottom of the screen and so on. I swear all my players seem slower and I can't even make a high power pass for some reason.

Internet speed test shows I have download/upload speed about 5/1 Mb/s which should be fine, however I get ping of around 130 which I guess is far too high? Any experts on that matter?

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
feck injuries in this game.

Load of shitty fecking bollocks.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Kane is fecking trash on ultimate team. Selling him and going to try and get Lukaku or something. Martial would be perfect if there was a St version of him but he's only a lm. Rashford only being a 76 makes me not want to have him as my striker... even though it makes no difference really.
Edit: Lukaku was like 40k so I just got Welbeck instead who is only 4k.

Isn't he? Wasted about 16k on him last week. Slow, turns like a truck and missed everything despite his 88 finishing.

Got Lukaku and he is great. Mahrez is good fun to use too.

Really? Kane got me 12 goals in 16 games, he was very clinical for me. Upgraded to Diego costa though and not looked back he's scoring for fun

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Who are peoples hidden gems on FUT? Finding Mendy was a great cheap buy

Hate to say it but Roberto firmino is best CAM and CM in the prem, I've used pretty much all of them including the most expensive like De Bruyne, ozil etc but they don't come close to firmino, he's got a fantastic shot from range, great dribbling, great passing and is always in the right position in the box and finishes everything too.

He cost about 9k I think.

JamesB__

Supports
Stoke City
Can anyone link me some decent slider settings for career mode? I'm playing on legendary and walking the league with Spurs. There's a lot of narrow wins but I haven't conceded from open play in about 10 games because the CPU doesn't even try to attack.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Can anyone link me some decent slider settings for career mode? I'm playing on legendary and walking the league with Spurs. There's a lot of narrow wins but I haven't conceded from open play in about 10 games because the CPU doesn't even try to attack.
There were some a few pages back that I use. They make the game more open but the CPU still is pretty shit at attacking. I don't think I've conceded a goal for about 15 games.

Also the first time the CPU fouled me in my season was November.

binary bot
Had an awful weekend league, made it to 6 wins...the lengths people go to win in it, so much timewasting. I hate that you can't get your whole team to push up the pitch when someone is passing it about their backline.

Jacob

I struggle to get out of division 5, didn't own Fifa 16 but I won divison 1 in Fifa 15 multiple times.

Baxter

Had an awful weekend league, made it to 6 wins...the lengths people go to win in it, so much timewasting. I hate that you can't get your whole team to push up the pitch when someone is passing it about their backline.
I doubt i'll do it again.

I got to 18 wins with about 10 games left and couldn't be bothered after that. It's not enjoyable at all. I am 26-1-3 on UT seasons and 63-10-10 on normal seasons so thought I'd have a good chance of getting a few wins, but no chance. The connection was awful and the amount of park the bus, corner glitching and ridiculous possession styles was a joke. If i do give it another bash then Javi Martinez and Raul Albiol are going out for Smalling and Koulibaly :lol:

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
I struggle to get out of division 5, didn't own Fifa 16 but I won divison 1 in Fifa 15 multiple times.
I'm the same. Held division 5 twice now, never in fear of relegation but didn't challenge for promotion either. In previous Fifas, I got to division 1 no problem.

Think I'm getting old, it's a young man's game :(.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Any tips for one on one finishing? I kept on missing easy chances. Last night, had a match where I had 22 shots on target and conceded in the last minute to a corner(Any tips on defending them would be great, too).

Taxx

I'm the same. Held division 5 twice now, never in fear of relegation but didn't challenge for promotion either. In previous Fifas, I got to division 1 no problem.

Think I'm getting old, it's a young man's game :(.
No, it isn't! Come on, man. Don't do that to yourself, you're not old. It's just that certain aspects of the game seem to become magnified if that's all you can focus on (and it's hard not to). You just have to play some mental tricks on yourself at times, you'll be okay. :)

This year's edition is okay. I think it looks very good, but I haven't played enough as to the passing feels natural, yet.

sokol11

The biggest problem for me is connection. I have VDSL 20MB/2MB no connection load but the ping/lag is sometimes awful. If the line is OK I fancy myself against anyone. If the line is not OK you can loose to anyone.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
I doubt i'll do it again.

I got to 18 wins with about 10 games left and couldn't be bothered after that. It's not enjoyable at all. I am 26-1-3 on UT seasons and 63-10-10 on normal seasons so thought I'd have a good chance of getting a few wins, but no chance. The connection was awful and the amount of park the bus, corner glitching and ridiculous possession styles was a joke. If i do give it another bash then Javi Martinez and Raul Albiol are going out for Smalling and Koulibaly :lol:
I got to the same 18 wins but had 12 games left. It infuriated me at times as I had 2 4 game losing streaks which when I only lost 10 overall was just crazy. Kept going 1 or 2 in front and then suddenly couldn't play a pass and they finished every half chance they got whilst their keeper turned into a beast and saved every single shot I had.

Must say I enjoyed it though overall and it's always good to have different game modes. Can't wait to see what I can do with my usual team instead of cramming munain and gabi into my team.

Marcelinho87

Interesting seeing other players United team on career. I'm top of the league in November of the first season, City are second... 3rd and 4th are.... Crystal Palace and Swansea. Spurs are bottom despite winning the league in Journey mode.

Found United too strong at the start, but have found myself struggling against random teams - Let in 2 goals in about 8 PL games, Bailly gets injured and I concede 4 in the next 5.

I've won all PL games but 3, 0-0 to city, drawing to Swansea at home and losing to... Burnley. It's the same issue I've had for the last few FIFA's now - I smash most big teams like Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool 3/4-0 but struggle against the small teams.

Ibrahimovic was on fire for me at the start (although it seems like he's going to retire after 1 season) - but him and Mata get injured in the same game, Zlatan for 1 month, Mata for 3. Up steps Rooney and he is absolutely shocking - play him up front and he's not there for chances. Attacking midfield, he goes missing too. I switch to a dm instead of a Am, using Martial up front and he scores a goal a game.

Schneiderlin has been one of my best players - so I'm surprised to see so many people selling him. Herrera has been good too - but he's always it of energy by the end of the game. Fellaini has been excellent for me too.
If you still want to use a number 10 but Mata is injured, try using Micky T there he performs well for me when I need him there. Lingard/Rashford wide right is good too.

Truedevil

I need help with setting up my PL team. I have these players:

Keeper: Schmeichel
Defenders: IF Coleman, Sagna, Van Dijk, Blind, Fonte, Williams, Shaw, Van Aanholt
Midfielders: Xhaka, Fabregas, Herrera, Drinkwater, Mata, Rooney, Lallana
Wingers: Pedro, Zaha
Strikers: Welbeck, Vardy, Rashford

+60k to further strenghten it.

I've tried nearly all formations with 4 defenders at the back but i'm just struggling in division 5. My teams are not functioning well and maybe i'm just not using my players to their strenghts?

How would you set up with this set of players? Also should i try and find a working team setting or just leave it on default/high pressing/counter attacking etc.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
@Truedevil
I'm assuming PS4 prices here:

Some of your players are terrible value, so to begin with I'd sell some of them
-Vardy +50k - terrible W/R for a striker, weak, 3*/3*, bad dribbling, bad passing only good at running and finishing
-Xhaka +4.6 - these midfield generals aren't really worth it in FIFA imho, because even bad players can pass very well, so passing and longhots aren't worth taking in a slow player with bad dribbling and mediocre strength
-Cesc +29k - sort of similar to xhaka, he's better at dribling, but physically really weak for a CM

Which leaves you with something around 130k for a budget.

With that I would buy:
+Can -4k - he's quite expensive for a 80 OVR player, but his stats offer great value and with the right chem style you can shape him into either a very good attacking or defensive CM
+Arnautovic if -36k - 192cm heigth, 88 strength coupled with his skill stats are really quite insane, needs a dribbling chem style to round him off (I went for catalyst since wingers can make very good use of the extra pace aswell), Martial is also a decent choice but arnautovic looks more complete and as an IF he should be a far more stable/profitable investment
+Mkhitaryan/Mahrez -35/45k - this one is personal preference I think, if you want a finisher on the wings or are quite good at skilling I'd go for Mahrez, if you want a creator I'd take Mkhitaryan
+Batshuayi -6k - imho he offers amazing value, strong, quick, 4* wf, good finisher and decent dribbling for someone his size, I put the marksman chem style on him and he plays like a 3* skilled prime Drogba
+Smalling -22k, decent defender with a bit of pace on him. Matip also worked pretty well for me and is a lot cheaper.

which amounts to 90-100k total, so you'd still have some money left to adress other areas of your squad, for example the CB position.

here are some possible squads:
http://www.futhead.com/17/squads/1341339/
http://www.futhead.com/17/squads/1341348/
http://www.futhead.com/17/squads/1341351/

If you have trouble with defending 4231(2) is a rock solid formation. You should also take a close look at chem styles to shape players to suit the roles you want them to perform.

If you want to keep what you've got a midfield diamond 4312/41212(2) is the only way to go imho, since you have no wingers aside from Pedro.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Really happy with this game. Had a 2-week break when I thought I was losing interest but this was just a dip, now I returned and I still like it a lot which is a good indication.

Got relegated from division 5 after three terrible games at the end but looks like I might get straight back up again. It's generally a much better experience when you're playing 4-star teams as the game becomes slower and more tactical. If you can find yourself a few that suit your style it's great.

I'm liking Crystal Palace a lot, their wingers are terrific (Zaha in particular but Townsend too) and there's potential up front with Benteke and Remy. Midfield duo is solid enough, Cabaye is a good creator, but the defence is somewhat lacking, especially on the flanks as you will not get any joy down the wings with Ward and Souare.

Also loving Sunderland for weird reason - probably because of relatively strong midfield plus compact striker in Defoe, plus they actually have good full backs unlike Palace. Downside is that there is virtually no bench outside Borini and Larsson so you're forced to play your XI through the entire game and if Defoe is down or struggling, you have nobody to replace him with.

Stoke are lovely to play with but often get paired against Spurs or even United, which is imbalanced. Their full backs are good though, central defense is solid, midfield duo in Imbula and Allen is very solid and up front they're absolutely great - Bojan is compact and fast, Arnautovic is a bit of a monster, Shaqiri is great and Bony is a good finisher. Also pretty good strength in depth.

West Ham I did not like much despite their good stats and the fact they have Payet. Southampton are great stats wise but somehow do not feel right to me. Palace for example seems to have better balance. Leicester are fine but too often have to play against much stronger teams, ditto Spurs who would be my favourite team if it were not for the fact that it forces me to play against Dortmund and Atletico who are unfortunately much superior.

All in all, a very good game so far for me. The pace is right, shooting feels great, passing feels good and you can score some lovely goals (I scored one with Sunderland with Kirchhoff finishing which looked absolutely tremendous, 4-5 quick passes and lovely finish). Also physics seem greatly improved, some of the goals look incredibly realistic. Also love the new free kick crossing where you pick a spot and deliver a ball there, leads to some very realistic goals as well, also from corners where you are actually able to pass the ball with your head instead of taking shots every single time. Shooting with L2 is also great, some cracking goals to be scored from it. I guess it's probably the best FIFA.

Smores

Im genuinely finding leroy ferr as an amazing player on this game. Both defensively and attacking wise.

Truedevil

Thank you so much @do.ob for the detalied post!

I've wanted to buy Mahrez for a few days now but i'm always thinking about better ways to spend coins but if i get a great player in return then why not go for him? Also you've opened my eyes about my midfield. it's indeed quite slow and unathletic but the likes of Can doesn't excite me. For now i think i will keep Vardy and Fabregas, those two with Mata can break down teams with ease but sometimes they're so quiet, maybe with Mahrez and a new LM they'll flourish. I quite like Blind too, but maybe he's one big reason why i'm never solid at the back.

What do you think about this team?
http://www.futhead.com/17/squads/1343073/

By grinding the division and the sbc's for a few hours i would have money for all Mahrez, Martial and Kante, worth the money in your eyes?

Rory 7

I've a pretty decent team assembled in FUT but can't get past Division 7! Really tough just can't get going at all. Here's my team

Butland
Marcelo Bailly (IF) Fonte Coleman
Xhaka Mata Mahrez Son (IF)
Kane Long

Surely that is better than a division 7 side? I'm really crap, feel like giving up. Can only give it maybe 2 hours every 2/3 days.

I've 20k in the bank. Any suggestions?

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
I've a pretty decent team assembled in FUT but can't get past Division 7! Really tough just can't get going at all. Here's my team

Butland
Kane Long

Surely that is better than a division 7 side? I'm really crap, feel like giving up. Can only give it maybe 2 hours every 2/3 days.

Real Madrid's Marcelo?

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Thank you so much @do.ob for the detalied post!

I've wanted to buy Mahrez for a few days now but i'm always thinking about better ways to spend coins but if i get a great player in return then why not go for him? Also you've opened my eyes about my midfield. it's indeed quite slow and unathletic but the likes of Can doesn't excite me. For now i think i will keep Vardy and Fabregas, those two with Mata can break down teams with ease but sometimes they're so quiet, maybe with Mahrez and a new LM they'll flourish. I quite like Blind too, but maybe he's one big reason why i'm never solid at the back.

What do you think about this team?
http://www.futhead.com/17/squads/1343073/

By grinding the division and the sbc's for a few hours i would have money for all Mahrez, Martial and Kante, worth the money in your eyes?
How great a player is always depends on the person using him, so don't expect to magically win games just because you bought Mahrez, whether or not he's worth it depends greatly on how well you use his skills and dribbling imho, though I think stats wise his value is okay for a PL player. Personally I'd try Mkhitayan first, because he's the better playmaker and I prefer that when I'm playing 4231. Or just try both of them in head2head before you waste any coins.

Your designated DMs are 1.75m and 1.69m, a lot of players hoof the ball forward, simply having tall DMs who head the ball to your #10 for immediate counterattacks can get you goals or at least stop a sizeable amount of opposition attacks in their tracks.
Kante is more on the destroying side and I wouln't pay 30k for that, especially when he isn't even good in the air, his OVR and therefor card weight also isn't that high, so his price should go down a lot over time.

What don't you like a bout Can? He can be whatever you want, slap a DEF/PAS chemstyle on him and he's busquets on crack, put engine on him and he's a 1.90m Gündogan, put maestro on him and he's a very well rounded box to box player, he'd make any kind of PL team I could think of.

I've already set my 2c about Vardy. Other than him your CBs look suspect, they both have high attack work rates (which from my experience causes them to be out of position from time to time), van Dijk's defensive stats look weak and, Blind is 1.80m with 73 strength and 71 jumping. He looks interesting for a 3 CB formation but I imagine he causes some problems against people who stack their teams with fast and strong players (which happens a lot this fifa).

Butland
Kane Long

Is that a 442? Your CM looks non existing in defense. Generally speaking players in those divisions are pretty terrible, so simply being solid in defense and then waiting for your opponent to make a mistake will win you games.

Last edited:

Truedevil

I have an incredible pack luck this year. It's almost as if i get the players i need the most. IF Coleman, Walker, Rooney, Vardy, Ben Arfa(great selling price) and now as i just wanted a new midfielder i get Kante!

Shark

@NotShark
That's weird, I'm on world class with Palace and the opposition attack me like hell. What do you mean they don't try to attack? Do you dispossess them before they get a chance?

Last edited:

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
I'll be honest, any time I try to play FIFA, I just don't feel like playing it for too long. I've played Clubs most frequently, but I've also started Career Mode and played Kick-Off matches with my brother a couple of times. I just can't seem to get into FIFA anymore. They've really improved on many aspects and made it so that you have more control over your team in many different situations, but it still doesn't feel that much fun to me. I don't know...I don't think I can get into the game anymore.

Rory 7

How great a player is always depends on the person using him, so don't expect to magically win games just because you bought Mahrez, whether or not he's worth it depends greatly on how well you use his skills and dribbling imho, though I think stats wise his value is okay for a PL player. Personally I'd try Mkhitayan first, because he's the better playmaker and I prefer that when I'm playing 4231. Or just try both of them in head2head before you waste any coins.

Your designated DMs are 1.75m and 1.69m, a lot of players hoof the ball forward, simply having tall DMs who head the ball to your #10 for immediate counterattacks can get you goals or at least stop a sizeable amount of opposition attacks in their tracks.
Kante is more on the destroying side and I wouln't pay 30k for that, especially when he isn't even good in the air, his OVR and therefor card weight also isn't that high, so his price should go down a lot over time.

What don't you like a bout Can? He can be whatever you want, slap a DEF/PAS chemstyle on him and he's busquets on crack, put engine on him and he's a 1.90m Gündogan, put maestro on him and he's a very well rounded box to box player, he'd make any kind of PL team I could think of.

I've already set my 2c about Vardy. Other than him your CBs look suspect, they both have high attack work rates (which from my experience causes them to be out of position from time to time), van Dijk's defensive stats look weak and, Blind is 1.80m with 73 strength and 71 jumping. He looks interesting for a 3 CB formation but I imagine he causes some problems against people who stack their teams with fast and strong players (which happens a lot this fifa).

Is that a 442? Your CM looks non existing in defense. Generally speaking players in those divisions are pretty terrible, so simply being solid in defense and then waiting for your opponent to make a mistake will win you games.
I play 41212 with Xhaka holding

JamesB__

Supports
Stoke City
That's weird, I'm on world class with Palace and the opposition attack me like hell. What do you mean they don't try to attack? Do you dispossess them before they get a chance?
Generally yeah I dispossess them in midfield. My biggest gripe is when I'm one goal up in the last few minutes, there's just no urgency from them. They play like a team of Jordan Hendersons.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Appears everyone on ultimate team has an ultimate team apart from me, in forms everywhere, pace is mental again, Walcott and musa can feck off.

Lost 7 in a row. Players blocking off the ball is ridiculous and mine hit the ground constantly. Get absolute fecking shit in packs too.

Xbox club is basically dead too. Glad I never actually bought it myself.

SSSSnake

My BBVA team is finally taking shape. Took me ages to save to get James and Modric both cost about 85k!
James as CAM has been on fire! Scores a lot of long shots. Has anyone won division 1 yet? I have this weird obsession to win it every year. Just managed to get to Div 1 but got relegated last time round. Hopefully the upgrade in Modric will make a difference now.