FIFA charge Shaqiri and Xhaka for goal celebrations

Lyricist

As far as I noticed the Serbian crowd hated on them all game for being of kosovan origin, no? So I don’t think it’s a disrespect to Switzerland but more about “you disrespected us for our connection to Kosovo, eh? How does this make you feel [symbol]”

Revan

Assumptionman
As far as I noticed the Serbian crowd hated on them all game for being of kosovan origin, no? So I don’t think it’s a disrespect to Switzerland but more about “you disrespected us for our connection to Kosovo, eh? How does this make you feel [symbol]”
They were signing 'kill Albanian shits' during the match which might have affected Shaqiri and Xhaka. Additionally, some of them were signing about Srebrenica and having shirts with a convicted mass murderer. While that part has to do with Bosnia, not Kosovo, it is hilarious to see Serbia playing the victim (yet again) and their president going into national TV moaning how we hate them but Serbians hate no one.

redNATION

Serbia seem to have gotten away without any blame. Their fans were singing offensive chants and mocking the events that took place in Kosovo. Last I checked, teams are supposed to be sanctioned for the behaviour of their fans, but as we know from FIFA’s general tolerance and acceptance of racism, i wouldn’t expect much to be done here.

It’s strange that political gestures and showing brand names on your underwear attracts such attention from fifa but racism and xenophobia are just fine, or a small slap on the wrist is sufficient.

Prodigy24

They were signing 'kill Albanian shits' during the match which might have affected Shaqiri and Xhaka. Additionally, some of them were signing about Srebrenica and having shirts with a convicted mass murderer. While that part has to do with Bosnia, not Kosovo, it is hilarious to see Serbia playing the victim (yet again) and their president going into national TV moaning how we hate them but Serbians hate no one.
If they decide to charge Xhaka and Shaqiri then they should definitely also charge the serbian FA. They should have better control of their dirty bastards of fans.

MVBDX

Supports
Real Madrid
A fine would be fair, but match ban would be bullshit, hopefully FIFA won't be that stupid, or as supid as they usually are.

Jacob

Switzerland is a political entity, the flag of Switzerland is a political symbol. International football is political by design. FIFA wouldn't really have a leg to stand on if either Shaqiri or Xhaka had halfway competent lawyers.

As someone from an ethnicity that has been persecuted throughout its entire existance, I think you're talking rubbish. These guys aren't doing white power salutes, they're showing defiance and solidarity with their people who have been oppressed and the victims of genocide by the Serbs, who still refuse to acknowledge their nation's right to exist.
Replace Albanian with Armenian and Serb with Turk and you got my situation. There's a time and place for everything. Also disrespectful to Switzerland NT.

Pagh Wraith

This is what happens when people are 'proud' of the fact that someone gave birth to them somewhere. feck patriotism.

Janson

You seem to be rather conflicted. You've no idea what happened, you don't care but you support the decision of an organisation that makes political decisions all the time.
I suggest you start caring. Sport is rooted in politics, going back to the Ancient Greeks.

Sportsmen and and women are human and simply telling them such things as; 'leave your ethnicity out of it' is crass. I give you examples such as England wanting to beat Germany;rooted in historical significance, Argentina beating England in 86( Falklands War) Iran beating the USA. Cricket; the West Indies/India/Pakistan wanting to beat England has it basis in the colonial legacy of Britain. Angola and Mozambique playing Portugal will have a similar context to Serbia playing Switzerland. Many Eastern European countries desperate to beat Russia at everything because of their invasions.There are many other examples.

I'd love the world of sport to resemble the United Colours of Beneton and everyone singing Kumbaya round a giant campfire at the end of every contest but it isn't going to happen. It's naive to believe it will and if you're looking for an altruistic world then sport isn't where you're going to find it.
I should clarify that I do know some about the conflict since I am of Serbian descent. That makes it difficult to not hear about it even if you aren't interested. My family has been in Sweden since the 60's though and this is why I'm pretty detached from whatever has been going on down there. When I said I know nothing about it, I meant that I don't know nearly enough about the situation to be discussing who is right or wrong.

I already aknowledged the fact that sport has a lot to do with politics in an earlier post. What I'm suggesting though, is for the people involved to settle their differences outside of the pitch. Like another poster replied to you, no one is stopping them from feeling motivated to beat the Serbs because of their dislike for them. Just let the football speak for itself, instead of intentionaly provoking in this fashion.

The Serbian fans were equally in the wrong for doing what they did and the Serbian FA were rightfully punished, but that doesn't mean it's alright for the players to escalate things even more. I actually heard that fights broke out after the game between Serbs and Albanians.

Janson

Of course it could have affected them, but that doesn't justify them reacting to it and escalating things. The ignorant nationalists in the stands are always gonna do what they do, one shouldn't sink to their level. And the Serbian FA did get punished as well as far as I heard. The Serbs and Albanians who got into fights after the game are just thugs who are looking for a reason to fight imo. When it comes to hate between the two sides, both are equally culpable for keeping it going. Plenty of ignorant people on both sides unfortunately.

Janson

This is what happens when people are 'proud' of the fact that someone gave birth to them somewhere. feck patriotism.
It is not just pride alone. I would say ignorance coupled with pride makes for a bad combination.

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
Surprised by the aggression towards Shaqiri and Xhaka in here, you would think posters would be more understanding of their situation, particularly after the build up to the game and abuse received from the Serbian fans. I thought the passion in the two celebrations was great, exactly what you want to see in the World Cup. Feck FIFA.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
If people are getting upset about two people doing making an eagle gesture with their hands, then they need to sort their lives out.

Last time I checked, it isn't exactly akin to a Nazi salute... And Albania is a country that actually does exist

Noir

Imagine our fans booing Israels national anthem or whistling whenever a jewish player has the ball?
It would be an international incident and rightly so.

Hate breeds hate, and these sort of antics from players and fans have no place in modern sports.

I say FIFA should go for a no tolerance policy and start banning people left, right and centre.

ToshLines

Supports
Rangers FC
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kosovo_War

Xhaka's dad was Kosovar Albanian and imprisoned for three years in a Serbian prison for protesting against the Serbian government.
No he wasn't. He was imprisoned in a Yugoslav jail for protesting against the Yugoslav government, and when he was arrested, Kosovo had autonomy, an Albanian-led devolved government and an Albanian police force. Kosovo's president at the time Xhaka's dad was arrested was to become renowned for standing up to Milosevic and the Serbian nationalists. He was arrested by Albanian communists for being an Albanian nationalist.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
That's because the Swiss don't struggle to understand that that a lot of their population is made up from people of various cultures and languages. You can be patriotic to your country but also have an affinity to the background of your ancestors.

I find it baffling that people struggle to understand that. And what's wrong with Ozil picking up a Turkish flag? Just because people on the internet have goldfish IQ's and classify Erodgan as some sort of brutal dictator without any understanding of the situation in Turkey doesn't mean people have to forget their ethnic backgrounds. You can be proud to be German. Doesn't mean you can't be proud to be of Turkish origin.
Bang on with people being multi-national. In this day and age you'd think people would understand that by now. The constant shit about he should have played for them then or the whole discussion when it comes to players choosing with nation to represent and the shit they get afterwards.

Jack Grealish for example, so much shit thrown at him from both sides and having personally spoken with his brother several times while Jack was still just a youth player I know that he feels equally Irish and English and is very proud to be both and it was an incredibly hard for him to decide. Of course no one will understand that.

Similarly, I know several of players who have played for the Canadian national team and I wouldnt have a problem with them doing a symbol to represent Colombia or Costa Rica or whichever background they are. I know if I was lucky enough to make it then I'd have been flying the flag for Ireland and Canada no matter which of them I'd played for. No doubt I'd have been ridiculed for it afterwards.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
The Serbian fans were equally in the wrong for doing what they did and the Serbian FA were rightfully punished, but that doesn't mean it's alright for the players to escalate things even more. I actually heard that fights broke out after the game between Serbs and Albanians.
I don't think we can say they are both "equally wrong".
Personally I think groups of people chanting about a genocide and wearing shirts celebrating a mass murderer is quite a bit more extreme than a few players using a symbol of flag in defiance as a goal celebration in response. Sure they both technically violate the no political clause but they are not really equal moral violations. One is quite a bit more extreme and unnecessary than the other.

Janson

I don't think we can say they are both "equally wrong".
Personally I think groups of people chanting about a genocide and wearing shirts celebrating a mass murderer is quite a bit more extreme than a few players using a symbol of flag in defiance as a goal celebration in response. Sure they both technically violate the no political clause but they are not really equal moral violations. One is quite a bit more extreme and unnecessary than the other.
Yeah definitely, it's much worse. I meant to say that they were both wrong, not that the severity of it was the same.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
That's the point, isn't it? You have political conflicts that motivate you to win the game — not to celebrate in an provocative way. It would've been a beautiful story — Xhaka and Shaqiri answering Serbia on the pitch, but they decided to celebrate in an offensive way.

I'm not dismissing Serbians though — what they did during the anthem and the general booing was equally unsporting.
So FIFA is going to punish players cor reacting to racial abuse from oppositions fans but isnt going to do anything to the opposition FA for not controlling their fans in terms of racial abuse?

FIFA and tackling racism again we see the priorities

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Replace Albanian with Armenian and Serb with Turk and you got my situation. There's a time and place for everything. Also disrespectful to Switzerland NT.
I'm Lebanese with Armenian descent. If I score against Turkey, whilst I know I should stay refrained and contain my emotions, I'm sure I'd burst and do something stupid if they goaded me for the entire game.

It's human nature.

Revan

Assumptionman
He was fully aware of what he was doing. He's their captain and just supported his guys against this whole booing sh**
He already confirmed that he knew what he was doing. For all 'it was disrespectful to Switzerland' Caf's Internet warriors, already in support to those Celebrations have been Switzerland's captain, Switzerland's minister of sport, Swiss top ever goalscorer Alexander Frei among others. Oh, and Swiss biggest newspaper had in the first page the celebration asking for photos of Swiss people doing the Eagle sign, and in national TV, the journalist who was leading the show did the sign. So much offensive for them I guess.

People need to understand that Switzerland doesn't have a problem with these things and fully understand that people can have feelings for more than one country. Xhaka and Shaqiri give it all for Switzerland, but that doesn't mean that they must not have feelings for their country of origin.

el3mel

As long as they don't get suspended, both will still be pretty happy with what they did anyway.

Revan

Assumptionman
Even an one match suspension won't be end of the world. I think that Switzerland can get a draw against eliminated Costa Rica without them.

With them though, there is a chance that Switzerland can top the group. Though then, Serbia might already be in self destruction mode and lose 5-0 against Brazil. They have quite a history on getting crushed in tournaments when they face top teams. Of course, second place might be better than first place considering that whoever finishes first, will face Germany. And Germany in KO stage isn't Germany from group stage.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
They will probably stand behind the fact of why they made the gesture, but what if they say: huh, what symbol? I just like birds..

Will the FIFA have a leg to stand on? You can't really prove anything.

Hans Wurst

FIFA's verdict is out, they didn't declare game bans for any of the three players charged (phew) but they are charging Xhaka and Shaqiri with 10'000 Swiss Francs each and Lichtsteiner with 5'000 Swiss Francs. In addition to that they're charging the Serbian FA with 54'000 Swiss Francs due to their display of discriminating banners/pictures and their general misdemeanor.

For me this is a very sensible verdict which also stresses the violation of the rules by the Serbs prior to the provocative celebration of the players. But I'm probably a little biased :)

Hephaestus

FIFA's verdict is out, they didn't declare game bans for any of the three players charged (phew) but they are charging Xhaka and Shaqiri with 10'000 Swiss Francs each and Lichtsteiner with 5'000 Swiss Francs. In addition to that they're charging the Serbian FA with 54'000 Swiss Francs due to their display of discriminating banners/pictures and their general misdemeanor.

For me this is a very sensible verdict which also stresses the violation of the rules by the Serbs prior to the provocative celebration of the players. But I'm probably a little biased :)
Yeah, a pretty sensible decision. I'm pretty surprised frankly.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Would have been a travesty to give them a ban. Good decision.

Jacob

I'm Lebanese with Armenian descent. If I score against Turkey, whilst I know I should stay refrained and contain my emotions, I'm sure I'd burst and do something stupid if they goaded me for the entire game.

It's human nature.
Hello brother.

Human nature doesn't excuse your actions in my books. Agree to disagree on this it seems.

shaky

They will probably stand behind the fact of why they made the gesture, but what if they say: huh, what symbol? I just like birds..

I'm pretty sure FIFA don't actually have to prove anything anyway. It's their ball, it's their game, so they can decide anything they feel like.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
What about Serbian fans that wore shirts with pictures of war criminals?

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Hello brother.

Human nature doesn't excuse your actions in my books. Agree to disagree on this it seems.
On the contrary. I agree with you that it is wrong but controlling yourself is extremely difficult.

R'hllor

What a bullshit decision but no surprise there, its FIFA after all. Charging FA with 54k penalty while those who made those statements will come out untouched. They gonna take money of the organization, not like those who are guilty will pay fine out of their own pockets. Joke.

IF they really wanna stamp shit out, ban those who said shit, boom 5/10/15 years cant work in anything football related organization, cya. Leave those 54k to FA and enforce them to use it into something like, building a pitch in some forsaken place where maybe some future football talent can emerge.

Instead everyone will be painted with same brush, while you have to listen same type of cnuts on all sides, talking same old crap.

Halftrack

Footballl governing bodies don't operate with the same standard of proof as criminal courts. There's no 'beyond reasonable doubt'. It's usually enough to prove that your (FIFA's) version of what happened is more likely than the other party's (the players) version.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Footballl governing bodies don't operate with the same standard of proof as criminal courts. There's no 'beyond reasonable doubt'. It's usually enough to prove that your (FIFA's) version of what happened is more likely than the other party's (the players) version.
Ah right, I knew that actually, I think :)