Fifa to consider holding men's and women's events every two years - BBC

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Football's world governing body Fifa is to launch a feasibility study into holding the men's and women's World Cups every two years instead of four.

The proposal, by Saudi Arabia's football federation (SAFF), received backing at Fifa's annual congress.
The study will also look at the qualifying competitions for these tournaments.

"We believe the future of football is at a critical juncture," said SAFF president Yasser Al-Misehal.

"The many issues that football has faced have now been further exacerbated by the ongoing pandemic, plus we love money."

Fifa president Gianni Infantino called it an "eloquent and detailed proposal", with 166 national federations voting in favour with 22 voting against.

Sauce: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57205872

Thoughts? Feelings? Onions?

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Why not. I enjoy world cup. As long as the countries are ready.

Better that than the same ECL over and over again every year.

Seeing teams like Jamaica, japan, austrlia etc is a breath of fresh air.

Tarrou

I checked the article to see if it explained what would happen to the Euros

Moving to a biennial schedule would impact other international tournaments such as the European Championship, which also takes place every four years, in the even years between World Cups.
glad that's cleared up then

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Why not. I enjoy world cup. As long as the countries are ready.

Better that than the same ECL over and over again every year.

Seeing teams like Jamaica, japan, austrlia etc is a breath of fresh air.
I wonder if it might work if they remove the qualifiers? Say, the top ranked teams in the world qualified automatically, with a smaller set of qualifiers for the crappier teams (like Norway).

But then that might completely fudge up the ranking system so it probably wouldn't work.

izec

In 5 or 10 years, the top players will play every summer in some shit club or national tournament.

It seems that now everyone will try to milk football as much as possible and implement some new tournaments and/or changes.

Mindhunter

Yeah let’s run the footballers to the ground. They anyways sit on their arses during the off-season when they should be out their bursting their lungs and earning the admins money.

These idiots are going to kill the golden goose.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
International football should be being phased out rather than expanded upon!
It's a remnant of a world when it was the highest level, which it hasn't been for a long while now.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
They need to stop considering things.

Judas

Open to offers
Would be a real tragedy but I'm surprised it took so long. With the CL every season, no wonder FIFA wants a slice, and what better way than making the WC happen more often.

It would be fecking awful and dilute what makes it special so much.

decorativeed

Fifa consider plan to squeeze the life essence of each individual football fan in attempt to sell the game to other worlds. Markets better in other galaxies, says spokesman.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Surprised as well that it took this long but this would absolutely disgust me. It would destroy the history of the competition because now players will be much more likely to win one in their career by essentially getting twice the amount of chances at it in their career than past players. There's a good balance right now between a world cup/euro every two years but money will inevitably screw it up more than it already has.

AgentSmith

My aversion to it mirrors my dislike of the Super League - the rarity of the World Cup is what makes it the spectacle that it is. Having to wait 4 years for the chance to see your country heightens the excitement and enjoyment that can be derived from it. The experience means more as a result.

Having the Euros as the 2 year intermediary gap between World Cups also works perfectly and creates a nice variety sense of variety.

I really wish they’d stop trying to reinvent the wheel in the relentless pursuit of profit.

Neil_Buchanan

Cock'd
Twenty years ago I used to think my dad was being hyperbolic when he said that money was ruining football but now I realise that he was just ahead of the times.

e.cantona

Mummy, mummy, diamonds, I want them too
Stupid. Rather WC/EC with 8 years between

Withnail

International football should be being phased out rather than expanded upon!
It's a remnant of a world when it was the highest level, which it hasn't been for a long while now.
Exactly, standard is poor by comparison to the club game.

Also does this mean the euros will be cancelled?

ShinjiNinja26

Feck off! Their greed knows no bounds. Give it another 5-10 years they’ll be trying to stick the World Cup behind a paywall.

Last edited:

GMoore23

The game is no longer the one I fell in love with as a kid. Money ruined it. F1's gone the same way. Boring as feck.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
Just when you think modern football can't get any worse...

Are we sure Blatter is not still pulling the strings?

Ah, I see it's an idea from saudi arabia. At least they're honest about the reasons.

I hope UEFA will put a stop to this. They will want to keep the Euro's.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
What are all these issues that football face according to a load of feckers who have zero football history?