Fifa to consider holding men's and women's events every two years - BBC

GMoore23

This proposal should be protested and shamed just as much as the ESL in my opinion. FIFA are no better, Greedy cnuts with no love of the game.

stevoc

20 years from now there'll be a manager describing his teams fixture schedule as ridiculous.

''It's ridiculous to expect my boys to play 9 times this week instead of the usual 7.

stevoc

There was a story in the NY Times yesterday that said FIFA silently backed the ESL.
I suspected as much when the Super League nonsense was going on. The other rumour was the money for the Super League was coming from Saudi Arabia.

And this proposal was put forward by the Saudi's too. Coincidence? I think not.

TrustInOle

They just can't help but pull on the strings and see what money grabbing idea will hook the public. Feck off

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
I suspected as much when the Super League nonsense was going on. The other rumour was the money for the Super League was coming from Saudi Arabia.

And this proposal was put forward by the Saudi's too. Coincidence? I think not.
In the next 5 years there is going to be a monumental battle between FIFA, associations, clubs, players and individual leagues for who controls the money tree.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Players need a union. Or a better one.

binary bot
World cups are fecking brilliant. 2 years is too frequent but I'd be on the fence about 3 year intervals.

hobbers

Money grubbing twats.

Just like the ESL it's predicated on a stupid idea that it will bump up viewership when it clearly won't.

Nobody wants to see international football saturated by more countries, more shit teams, more dead rubber games, more qualifiers etc. It's bad enough as it is and has been declining in popularity as it is. People don't care about watching more Saudi Arabia vs Leichtensteins, even the people in these countries don't care and won't watch.

stevoc

In the next 5 years there is going to be a monumental battle between FIFA, associations, clubs, players and individual leagues for who controls the money tree.
Yeah I think FIFA will absorb the likes of UEFA within a decade.

FreddieTheReddie

Maybe if they could do the group rounds during the season and have the knockout stage in the summer with 16 teams. I can imagine having qualifications in one season then group rounds in the next season, it would be possible but players need time to relax, party or travel with their families.
They could also somehow incorporate the continents’ competitions so they have a full tournament every two years. But we know they just want more games and more money, so they don’t want to do fewer games.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Will these people ever close their money-hungry maws? The quality of football is already quite poor nowadays due to all the games, this will be just a few steps too far.

The new CL format is already awful.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Exactly, standard is poor by comparison to the club game.

Also does this mean the euros will be cancelled?
Knowing them, they'll try and make those every 2 years on the alternate years to the world cup.

If there's anything still special about international football, it's these tournaments and the history of how infrequent they are.

Moving them more regularly just totally kills it for me.

nuanced

loves geopolitical narrative
In 5 or 10 years, the top players will play every summer in some shit club or national tournament.
In a decade, one of Raiola's demand would be that his client play no more than 45 match in a season. These greedy bastards are trying to ensure that the top players put their wellbeing and long term careers ahead of money.

Bosws87

The proposal, by Saudi Arabia's football federation (SAFF)

Oh right.

DrRodo

Honest worker, never posts
One of the things the world (except UK, we know you hate international football but whatever) loves about the world cup is that when a tournament ends, we know it will be a while for another one to begin. When one is about to start, all this nostalgia has been building up for years before. Making them so close one to another will eliminate this romantic aspect from the cup

Bosws87

One of the things the world (except UK, we know you hate international football but whatever) loves about the world cup is that when a tournament ends, we know it will be a while for another one to begin. When one is about to start, all this nostalgia has been building up for years before. Making them so close one to another will eliminate this romantic aspect from the cup
We love international football just not the pointless friendlies.

It wouldn't be bigger anywhere in the world the celebration if we ever won it again :)

FerociousCorgis

Horrible idea. absolutely horrendous. Every 2 years??? Come on.

Needs to be every year. In fact i'd say it should be at the beginning of the major league start times, and then would even look into feasibility for it to be played over a midseason break for all. Or just scrap leagues altogether and just play the world cup nonstop for eternity

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Football's world governing body Fifa is to launch a feasibility study into holding the men's and women's World Cups every two years instead of four.

The proposal, by Saudi Arabia's football federation (SAFF), received backing at Fifa's annual congress.
The study will also look at the qualifying competitions for these tournaments.

"We believe the future of football is at a critical juncture," said SAFF president Yasser Al-Misehal.

"The many issues that football has faced have now been further exacerbated by the ongoing pandemic, plus we love money."

Fifa president Gianni Infantino called it an "eloquent and detailed proposal", with 166 national federations voting in favour with 22 voting against.

Sauce: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57205872

Thoughts? Feelings? Onions?
A few thougs off the bat:

1) We'll have Euros and World Cup every other year. With the professional schedule as tight as it is, something has got to give. Most likely domstic competitions and/or European Championships. Leaving us with one competition for the national team. I assume FIFA has no ambition to scrap Nations League.

2) The World Cup is traditionally a grand national event and contributed to building sports infrastructure. The World Cup in 1994 and 1998 in particular are for me tournaments full of happy memories. The World Cup is special because it's so far apart, not because it's just a cup. Having it more frequently removes a lot of the traditional allure.

3) The World Cup nearly shares status with the Olympic Games as the biggest sport spectacle in the world. Hosting it bi-anually removes that status as something special.

4) I'm old and I don't like change.

The Urban Goose

Clearly more money to be wrung out of the sport yet, into FIFA and other governing body pockets.

brian017

A 32-team, 3 group game, KOs from the Last 16. Every 4 years was the format

They‘re changing to 48 teams, 2 group games, KOs from the Last 32. And now they want to change it to every 2 years.

The World Cup is in danger of losing its allure, mystic, and what makes it special. Leave it fecking alone

Uniquim

They‘re changing to 48 teams, 2 group games, KOs from the Last 32. And now they want to change it to every 2 years.

The World Cup is in danger of losing its allure, mystic, and what makes it special. Leave it fecking alone
Yeah the 32-team format was perfect. Just as the group games start to drag on the knockouts start.
Difficult enough to qualify, but plausible for most teams on an upward trajectory.
Only comes around once every 4 years, so it really matters.
Pretty much always a few underdog teams to cheer for.

I'm not one for national team football usually, but the World Cup is usually magical.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!

The balance felt about right.
I remember the 16 team format and it was too few teams. The 24 team format worked really well but it didnt ruin things when we went to 32 teams. 48 teams will for me be too many teams.
As you say, leave it alone. They are going to dilute it and ruin, it would be like letting every Euro country have 8 Champions league spots

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers

Aye. The World Cup is special because it’s infrequent. The stakes are as high as they can get because often it’s the only opportunity a generation of players gets to shine. Bloating the tournament to 48 will have the same negative impact that the expanded Euros had in 2016, which was the worst tournament in its history. And increased frequency will end up with the public appeal of something between the World Cup and the Confederations Cup. In the same way nobody gets their juices flowing for qualifiers, the over saturation will similarly deflate interest.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
Why the flying feck are we even playing entire euros over the summer this year. We have this nations league bullshit and international friendlies which shouldn’t even be played.

The group stages for the euros should have been held during international breaks this season and only the knockouts during the off season so that the players can have an actual break

FatTails

fecking hell. Are they trying to kill Harry Maguire? He can’t possibly play any more football.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
I can foresee myself not watching football in about 10-15 years. Legacy fan or something like that.

Also, why are the Saudis even taken seriously? What have they've contributed to football?

Jibbs

Football would improve for the better if we do away with both FIFA and UEFA.

Mr Smith

feck no. Stop trying to change everything! The fact that it's every four years mean players only get a few shots, and means the build-up is immense. Stop diluting our sport!

Tonicruise

Supports
FC Bayern
No thanks, we already have the WC/Euros every other year, to have it every year would make it way less special.

EngimaMK

Why the feck are Saudi Arabia a key player behind this? They are footballing nobodies... Oh, let's guess. Is it because they are rich and corrupt?

I'm very quickly falling out of love with this sport. I'm in my thirties now and genuinely wonder if I will have any affection left fort he sport by the time I'm in my forties.

From the players, to the clubs, to the authorities at all levels - the greed and level of money involved has grown into a monster.