g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Film Film Projects you'd like to see get made

A Professor Snape movie with Adam Driver as a younger Snape.

TheReligion

Abusive
:lol:

Surprisingly enough the alternative ending to Bad Lieutenant which never got filmed(Due to money and rights issues)was Harvey Keitel character running onto the Mets baseball pitch in an attempt to shoot Darryl Strawberry!
No way :lol:

I did not know that. It should have been made. I always preferred blueberries.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Blood Meridian is a good shout, regarded as extremely difficult to adapt to film but my god the upside if it was done right…

Stookie

Nurse bell end
I recently read a book called Agincourt by Bernard Cornwell, what a read. It would make an amazing film I’m sure with the right director

Tarrou

I've always wanted to see Rendezvous with Rama made

a while back I heard that Villeneuve might be making it, which I'd love to see

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
What If Star Wars was good ? (the first two movies were great tbf).

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
my favourite books as a teen were the power of five by Anthony Horowitz. I think they’d have been great as a tv series or movie adaptation. Much better than the Alex Rider stuff.
Second that. One bang average movie that desecrated decent source material.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I always felt JPOD by Douglas Coupland would make a decent Coen brothers film.

Hoof the ball

I'd like to see more ancient historical epics on a grand scale.

We get so few of these types of movies, but there's no many generals, kings, pharoahs, etc, to cover in biographical account on the the big screen.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
The Crying of Lot 49 by Pynchon
Director choices would be PTA, Coen Bros, Refn, or Lynch. All of them would have a different take on Pynchon's most straightforward novel. I would mind it done by the creators of Under the Silver Lake or Lot 49 either as obviously both are massive Pynchon fans.

The Thousand Crimes of Ming Tsu by Tom Lin
Done by Daniel Knauf in Carnivale style.

So Many Doors by Oakley Hall
Done by Park Chan-Wook

Outer Dark by McCarthy
Done by one of the Cronenbergs.

Kiss Me, Judas by Will Christopher Baer
Done by Diao Yinan .

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Kubrick‘s Napoleon.
Ridley Scott was recently attached to doing a Napoleon film and Scott's a big admirer of Kubrick. So there could be elements of Kubrick's work in Scott's interpretation of the notorious Frenchman.
But I guess you also have to take into account that Scott has been attached to numerous projects over his long career and about only a handful of them have come to fruition.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
I'd like to see Robert Eggers or Miguel Sapochnik have a go at The Children of Hurin.

Maybe Cary Joji Fukunaga if he wasn't such an insufferable thundercnut. Villeneuve as a fallback option.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Ridley Scott was recently attached to doing a Napoleon film and Scott's a big admirer of Kubrick. So there could be elements of Kubrick's work in Scott's interpretation of the notorious Frenchman.
But I guess you also have to take into account that Scott has been attached to numerous projects over his long career and about only a handful of them have come to fruition.
It's being released this year, Phoenix is the lead. There's been a lot of marketing material about it.

buchansleftleg

I'd love to see the "Stainless Steel Rat" Sci fi series by Harry Harrison turned into a film or expanded TV series.

It needs some more modern attitudes to women so I'd love to see a great female director or even reverse the whole thing and have a women play the role of the Raymond Chandler-esque space adventures.

Last edited:

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Blood Meridian is a good shout, regarded as extremely difficult to adapt to film but my god the upside if it was done right…
Only 1970s Coppola could do it.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Only 1970s Coppola could do it.
I think the Coens and maybe Taylor Sheridan could do a good job with it. McCarthy himself would be the best choice to do the screenplay too. Him + Ridley Scott would be interesting too.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
I recently read a book called Agincourt by Bernard Cornwell, what a read. It would make an amazing film I’m sure with the right director
That’s a good read. By the way the Winter King written by the same author is coming out as a series very soon.

ScholesyTheWise

I think either Freddie Highmore or Jesse Eisenberg could make a pretty good Holden Caulfield.
The movie itself would undoubtedly be crap so I don't really want to see it get made,

But I'd be curious to see how they approach it. Especially Highmore.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I read a graphic novel recently called Flake, about a depressed ice cream man, living a monotonous, mundane life in a bleak north west coastal town. The author creates an incredibly sparse, desolate setting with a lot of dry, dark humour which I think would translate really well onto the screen, almost like a Coen Brothers style film, meets maybe Napoleon Dynamite. Small cast, in a small, nondescript town, lots of empty space, sparse dialogue, that sorta thing. I'd highly recommend the book too.

Completely unrelated to the above, I'm reading a comic series called Ice Cream Man. Despite the title, it is nothing like the above. Each issue is it's own self contained story, with an often tenuous link to a rather unsettling and creepy looking Ice Cream Man. The stories can get pretty bizarre, and it's sort of like a comic version of the Twilight Zone. It could make a pretty cool anthology TV series.

Lastly, I'd like to see a Judge Dredd film or series done right. The Stallone one is silly, the recent one with Karl Urban is a decent low budget cops n robbers action flick, but it totally glossed over the themes of the source material. They keep making Dredd the good guy on screen. The comic is all about authoritarianism and police brutality at its most extreme. Dredd, and other Judges, often execute people for petty crimes, so why are the audience rooting for the law to catch a few drug dealers? The only thing it has in common with the source material is that they look like the Judges. It needs to be less like Batman and a little more like The Boys.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
I want Watership Down films, and I want them written and directed by me. It’s a trilogy.

And I’ll tell you what, this ain’t your grandma’s Watership down, there’s gonna be violence and sex

Here’s a teaser. A grizzled old rabbit is holding off a bunch of mean young rabbits, and the leader of this group of young rabbits declares loudly “some leader you have old rabbit, he’s left you here to die!”

The grizzled old rabbit lifts his head and spits blood. “No, he’s left me here to kill”

I smell a Bafta

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
Latitudes by Michael Crichton would be cool as a movie. A real Pirate book not that Disney comedic crap.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Thorgal adaptation 15+ or higher. Garland at some point could do it as he finally made Judge Dredd anti-protagonist, with anti-young audience bias, just like it should be.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
I'd definitely watch that. They made DOOM movies, but ignored Duke Nukem for some reason. The latter would be way more fun.

Who'd you have playing Duke?
Yeah and Doom could and should have been amazing. But it wasn't.

I would probably cast John Cena if I was confident I can make him not seem like a wet blanket. He is gigantic and good comedic timing.

Otherwise, the dude who plays Homelander in The Boys. He is brilliant.

Maybe even Channing Tatum... He's pretty funny.

Basically anyone but The Rock haha

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Yeah and Doom could and should have been amazing. But it wasn't.

I would probably cast John Cena if I was confident I can make him not seem like a wet blanket. He is gigantic and good comedic timing.

Otherwise, the dude who plays Homelander in The Boys. He is brilliant.

Maybe even Channing Tatum... He's pretty funny.

Basically anyone but The Rock haha
John Cena was the first name that came into my head too. Bleach his hair, and he's instantly got the look, which is just muscles and a big square head.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
John Cena was the first name that came into my head too. Bleach his hair, and he's instantly got the look, which is just muscles and a big square head.
Yeah it could work with him. He's pretty good when playing funny characters like the dude he played in Suicide Squad.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
There's a concept album by the singer Ben Nichols (Last Pale Light in the West) based on the book, that always has me thinking of what a film adaptation would look like. I'd reccomend giving the album a listen if you're a fan of the book, only 27 minutes and it's become innately connected to the source material in my head. Gravely southern vocals, you can basically smell the whisky when you listen to it, it's great ambience when you're reading the book.

It has always been regarded as nigh on unfilmable, but I've personally never really thought of it that way. I think in recent times a lot of the reasons given for why it would be unfilmable have actually been broached and overcome in other films. I guess funding would be the biggest obstacle nowadays. As you said the potential upsides are pretty mouth watering, you could really have something special there. McCarthy himself echoes your closing statement regarding the potential upside, when asked about a film adaptation being impossible to do

"That's all crap (about it being unfilmable). The fact that's it's a bleak and bloody story has nothing to do with whether or not you can put it on the screen. That's not the issue. The issue is it would be very difficult to do and would require someone with a bountiful imagination and a lot of balls. But the payoff could be extraordinary."