Gaming Final Fantasy VII: Rebirth (PS5)

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I didn't realise for Fort Condor hard mode you can change the game to easy and it makes hard mode mini games easier due to making the ATB load quicker. A bit cheaty but I'm not doing it any other way.

Irwin99

Finished it last night. Outstanding game overall despite it being overly bloated in places. I see they’re going full in on the multiverse stuff so I’m happy to go along with it. I think they’ve done a great job of all the characters, particularly the friendship between Tifa and Aerith.

Actually didn’t find the final battles too tough, though it did feel a bit overly long but it was enjoyable enough.

Also not sure how I feel with Cloud being able to converse with/see Aerith. Think her death in the original set up Cloud’s motivation for the end game well.

Can’t wait for the third. Going to tidy up the sidequests and then do another playthrough on hard. Game definitely is at its best when it just focuses on being FF7 as others have said.

Always thought the original game came into its own after Aeris’ death so looking forward to see how they tackle the third game - though they have a lot to cover. Hope stuff doesn’t end up being cut.
@Irwin99 I’m disappointed that you’re not gonna add this to your list of FF platinums.
The bloat and the story changes are kinda the reason why i don't want to play it, maybe one day when it's ten pounds on the PSN store :D

Some of the changes look good though- I watched some clips/scenes of Cait Sith and I like the way he's presented a lot more than the OG where he was useless and not that interesting in the story either. Having Yuffie be more involved and mandatory is way better too.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I'm on chapter 12 now. Been busy the past couple of days so not been able to play. Game has really turned the dial on additional content as if it wasn't already beefy!

Still maintaining it's fun despite that and I imagine you're *supposed* to do it in order to make the final bosses a bit easier.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Finished the main story after 80 hours. Absolutely brlliant production design and some magial moments. I found most of the open world stuff tedious though. Definitely the stuff with Chadley. Queensblood is definitely the best minigame in there and the best optional addition. The game is too slow though. From slow incredible simple puzzles, slow animations when climbing down ladders. Many prolonged cutscenes. In the last 4 days i just wanted to see the real story move and i found the sense of progression slow. I enjoyed the ending even though puzzling.

Im going to give it 8/10. Its score that feels low for a game with so much polish but ill rate for how much i enjoyed. There is too much tedious filler content thrown at you to feel like you ever get going.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
The coal mines in chapter 7 suck. So boring.
I've just got out of Costa Del Sol and that doesn't surprise me. In the original my least favourite bit of the game by far is getting to and out of the Gold Saucer. I've already mentally prepared for not enjoying the next 8 hours of rebirth.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
You guys telling me you really went and perfected these punk ass minigames like pirate rampage and what not?!
Tried it 5 times. Hardstuck on 12,000-13,000. Looks like I'll be getting the Time materia a bit later.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
You guys telling me you really went and perfected these punk ass minigames like pirate rampage and what not?!
Yeah. It's easy. :cool:

Not really easy but I like to try and perfect things and won't move on until it's 3 starred.

Moby

Dick
Yeah. It's easy. :cool:

Not really easy but I like to try and perfect things and won't move on until it's 3 starred.
Mental. :lol:

I got to 11k once by being lucky and hitting a random high scored hit but no way I'm ever getting over base target consistently. Similar for a lot of other stuff like the piano etc. Can't see myself giving it over a couple of goes :lol:

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Mental. :lol:

I got to 11k once by being lucky and hitting a random high scored hit but no way I'm ever getting over base target consistently. Similar for a lot of other stuff like the piano etc. Can't see myself giving it over a couple of goes :lol:
It's the same pattern so it's just about learning the patterns and route that will get you the most points. Always try to get the cactuar and the ones that get you 300. Also waiting for them to turn so you get the gold ones.

Moby

Dick
It's the same pattern so it's just about learning the patterns and route that will get you the most points. Always try to get the cactuar and the ones that get you 300. Also waiting for them to turn so you get the gold ones.
You're gonna make me go back and do it, aren't you. :lol: I don't mind retrying stuff if it's fun. As frustrating as it was to run out of time in Fort Condor with 1 HP left it's still a fun game to play. This one's okay but some other stuff like that one with putting those footballs into the net is abysmal. No chance I can spend time on that. :lol:

pacifictheme

I found the football one really easy and I enjoyed it quite a lot :lol:

Fort condor was a bit naff though.

Just finished chapter nine and I was really disappointed with cissnei's role. Love that they included her but I am not sure they knew what to do with her. Maybe she will come into it again, but the half reveal at the end of the protorelic stuff fell a bit flat for me. Favourite chapter so far though.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
You're gonna make me go back and do it, aren't you. :lol: I don't mind retrying stuff if it's fun. As frustrating as it was to run out of time in Fort Condor with 1 HP left it's still a fun game to play. This one's okay but some other stuff like that one with putting those footballs into the net is abysmal. No chance I can spend time on that. :lol:
I loved the football one. :lol:

That's true. The mini games like fort Condor are good. Same as queens Blood. The type that could be released as a stand alone mobile game if they wanted to.

Moby

Dick
I loved the football one. :lol:

That's true. The mini games like fort Condor are good. Same as queens Blood. The type that could be released as a stand alone mobile game if they wanted to.
Oh QB is awesome. I read that a separate team worked on it for an year and it shows. It'll sell easily as a standalone.

Moby

Dick
Around 41 hours in and at the start of Ch 7. Is it normal to be this far without getting Magnify? That was really useful for me in Remake especially using it for healing.

Any other combat tips? What are the best weapons or upgrades that are must have? Recently I've been spamming Aerith's Radiant Ward and it feels pretty OP. Beat Alexander at one level below Full Might (didn't try Full Might and might have done that as well) just using that.

Also is it worth travelling back to previous regions for anything now that the inter-region travel is available?

Raw

Around 41 hours in and at the start of Ch 7. Is it normal to be this far without getting Magnify? That was really useful for me in Remake especially using it for healing.

Any other combat tips? What are the best weapons or upgrades that are must have? Recently I've been spamming Aerith's Radiant Ward and it feels pretty OP. Beat Alexander at one level below Full Might (didn't try Full Might and might have done that as well) just using that.

Also is it worth travelling back to previous regions for anything now that the inter-region travel is available?
Yeah they really don't hand out Magnify as much as they did in Remake. I'm on Chapter 12 and I only have 2.

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
The map is telling me there is a divine intel in crows nest in junon, but ..... where? When you zoom into the local map the icon disappears ?

Am I dumb?

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
The map is telling me there is a divine intel in crows nest in junon, but ..... where? When you zoom into the local map the icon disappears ?

Am I dumb?
it's in a cave beneath it. Go immediate left at south gate down path.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Those stupid gold saucer queens blood challenges are a joke. I’ve tried the first one like 20 times and can’t get it.

caid

Those stupid gold saucer queens blood challenges are a joke. I’ve tried the first one like 20 times and can’t get it.
I dont think its a game to do absolutely everything in. Quite the opposite. Their version of difficult and challenging is cheesy, gimmicky crap like throwing you in an arena with 12 tonberries. You beat most of them by a trick (accessory that blocks insta kill) or attrition (beating last 3d brawler after about 100 tries and 30 mins of shitty, shitty gameplay).
With the benefit of hindsight i'm glad the general game is pretty easy. They cant do hard.
Its quite a flawed game in places. I'd still give it an 8/10 but theres a lot of room for improvement and it really doesn't deserve more than that imo.

Massive Spanner

I dont think its a game to do absolutely everything in. Quite the opposite. Their version of difficult and challenging is cheesy, gimmicky crap like throwing you in an arena with 12 tonberries. You beat most of them by a trick (accessory that blocks insta kill) or attrition (beating last 3d brawler after about 100 tries and 30 mins of shitty, shitty gameplay).
With the benefit of hindsight i'm glad the general game is pretty easy. They cant do hard.
Its quite a flawed game in places. I'd still give it an 8/10 but theres a lot of room for improvement and it really doesn't deserve more than that imo.
The gold saucer mini games are in general just fecking awful. Really really awful. They butchered it. The 3d brawler absolutely sucks. feck sake.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Still haven't done the Ultimate Party Animal cause of 12 tonberries, I was like feck that.
I didn't bother with any hardmode minigames etc... or that one quest. No way I'm going for a platinum. Don't have the patience for that grind these days.

caid

Oh man don't tell me that's what's needed to get the crown
No, that ones relatively easy. Its part of the last side quest in the game. I dont even think its the worst part.
Its bordering on run of the mill for end game fights really which always seem to involve cactuars or death claws or sandworms. Just lots of stuff that one shots you. Maybe i just remember them more than the ones i breezed through without a seconds thought.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
The gold saucer mini games are in general just fecking awful. Really really awful. They butchered it. The 3d brawler absolutely sucks. feck sake.
Don’t mind the 3D brawler too much once you get used to the mechanics. G-Bike is good fun and the space game is basic but not terrible. Queens blood games are fun challenges aswell. Think the ones in Costa del Sol were worse.

Massive Spanner

Don’t mind the 3D brawler too much once you get used to the mechanics. G-Bike is good fun and the space game is basic but not terrible. Queens blood games are fun challenges aswell. Think the ones in Costa del Sol were worse.
I found the ones in Costa del Sol pretty easy. Just basic puzzles. I can’t even get past the first QB one in the Saucer. Tried so many times with so many hands and it doesn’t work. It has a level 1 card worth 8 FFS :lol: it’s crazy. And I’ve generally flown through QB til now so I don’t think I’ve a bad deck or anything. Even looked up video guides on how to beat him, copied their deck, still can’t win. It just takes over the whole board with that stupid gigantisaur. I dunno, maybe I’ve just had rotten luck but looking online a lot of people say they’ve done it countless times and can’t get it.

g bike was silly because you actually get punished for going fast. Much better to just go really slow and get everything. And the controls are very unresponsive. The brawler sucked. The space game is ok but you need to be annoyingly perfect to get the highest score.

CloneMC16

I don't understand 3D Brawler. Anybody that can complete all of the fights without pausing has unhuman reflexes. There is zero chance I could complete that without pausing.

I think the game has far too many mini games, but I finally completed them all. 105 hours later and I can now actually finish the game...

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Chapter 12 -

I'm just doing all the gold saucer and side quest crap now. Bloody hell there is a lot! Not sure if I like that they're all tied into the platinum. Some are very easy challenges and others are difficult in the way that they are just downright stupidly so and you end up having to cheese the game which I don't think is fair on the gamer and makes the game a bit meh. Fully understand "get good" memes but there is challenging and then there is just nonsense.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
The outfl
I found the ones in Costa del Sol pretty easy. Just basic puzzles. I can’t even get past the first QB one in the Saucer. Tried so many times with so many hands and it doesn’t work. It has a level 1 card worth 8 FFS :lol: it’s crazy. And I’ve generally flown through QB til now so I don’t think I’ve a bad deck or anything. Even looked up video guides on how to beat him, copied their deck, still can’t win. It just takes over the whole board with that stupid gigantisaur. I dunno, maybe I’ve just had rotten luck but looking online a lot of people say they’ve done it countless times and can’t get it.

g bike was silly because you actually get punished for going fast. Much better to just go really slow and get everything. And the controls are very unresponsive. The brawler sucked. The space game is ok but you need to be annoyingly perfect to get the highest score.
There is a QB one I'm stuck on at the moment called outflanked. It's bollocks.

Massive Spanner

The outfl

There is a QB one I'm stuck on at the moment called outflanked. It's bollocks.
As much as I enjoy QB I do think a lot of it can be luck depending on what cards you get drawn. I understand they didn’t want it too predictable but sometimes it feels impossible depending on the cards you get. I did finally get past that one and beat the other ones fairly easy then thankfully.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
As much as I enjoy QB I do think a lot of it can be luck depending on what cards you get drawn. I understand they didn’t want it too predictable but sometimes it feels impossible depending on the cards you get. I did finally get past that one and beat the other ones fairly easy then thankfully.
Indeed and also why looking for a guide is hard too because the card draws and what the opponent does is random. I actually did that one just after I posted about it. Got the survival ones to do now. Got gold on boot camp but trying to get gold on extreme is wild. Can't imagine what nightmare will be like. :lol:

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I really liked the mini game stuff initially but the added on stuff to the saucer have made me really dislike a lot. 3d brawler in particular is really bad. Some of the modelling makes the moves look the exact same. Ifrit for example. Wtf?

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
I really liked the mini game stuff initially but the added on stuff to the saucer have made me really dislike a lot. 3d brawler in particular is really bad. Some of the modelling makes the moves look the exact same. Ifrit for example. Wtf?
Ifrit took me a while.

Sephiroth was something else though. Did have to cheat that one with the pause in between moves. Doesn’t help you have to dodge so many times to get a hit in.