Gaming Final Fantasy VII: Rebirth (PS5)

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Wasn’t the first one two discs?

Hope this covers up until at least the end of disc one and doesn’t draw things out too much. Or at least the city of the ancients.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Wasn’t the first one two discs?

Hope this covers up until at least the end of disc one and doesn’t draw things out too much. Or at least the city of the ancients.
Yeah, at around 100GB. Since this is a PS5 exclusive though you're probably looking at around 200GB.

TrustInOle

Looks incredible so far, and 2 discs is crazy ha!

Seeing our main cast, except Cloud, seemingly being killed, is this confirmation of a Zack timeline?
Will we be going full Squall/ Laguna?

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Looks incredible so far, and 2 discs is crazy ha!

Seeing our main cast, except Cloud, seemingly being killed, is this confirmation of a Zack timeline?
Will we be going full Squall/ Laguna?
:confused: that doesn't happen unless you mean the bit with Sephiroth and Tifa which was a flashback in the original and she didn't die.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Not confirmed but didn’t see them in the trailer, though that doesn’t mean much I suppose.

I hope they don’t water Cid down too much.
I figured they just wanted to hide stuff from people who hadn't played the original. I would be surprised if we didn't see either.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Looks class. Much more interested in this than 16. 1st was great.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
The furthest this trailer goes is Cosmo Canyon. I had assumed it would end at City of the Ancients but the name of the game suggests it would be at the North Crater. Even with 2 discs I don't see them going all the way to the North Crater.

Irwin99

(sees the new trailer) "tut! fine i'll buy it then, even though I said I wouldn't". :p

Woodzy

So much from the original it looks like they’ve kept in. Going to be incredible.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
One of the best gaming trailers i have ever seen in terms of getting me hyped.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
There's a moment with Tifa in green water (Mideel) looking at Weapon so looks like the game will finish after City of the Ancients and the Meteor summoning. feck that's way further than I thought it would be..I'm pumped to the tits!!!

Ps. No Cid spotted.

pacifictheme

There's a moment with Tifa in green water (Mideel) looking at Weapon so looks like the game will finish after City of the Ancients and the Meteor summoning. feck that's way further than I thought it would be..I'm pumped to the tits!!!

Ps. No Cid spotted.
That's been the general consensus online once it was confirmed as three games. Most natural stopping point and a logical place to end game 2. Not watched this or the other long trailer but so hyped for this game.

Irwin99

Ps. No Cid spotted.
He'll be in this one but

Not as a playable character i think. they said they're going to do what they did with Red XIII in the previous game and have some characters be around the party but only playable in the next installment

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Not a big FF fan but this looks really good. Is it an exclusive?

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Not confirmed but didn’t see them in the trailer, though that doesn’t mean much I suppose.

I hope they don’t water Cid down too much.
Vincent is in the trailer. Right after the part with Tifa and the weapon

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton

Is it just me being excited or is this really just one of the most incredible trailers!? :lol:

Go this route with every FF and you've struck gold.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord

Is it just me being excited or is this really just one of the most incredible trailers!? :lol:

The minigames, the mountain chocobo, Cosmo Canyon. I can't fecking wait, it looks so brilliant. Even the alternate timeline stuff has me very excited.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
The minigames, the mountain chocobo, Cosmo Canyon. I can't fecking wait, it looks so brilliant. Even the alternate timeline stuff has me very excited.
Yeah, I was disappointed along with others due to the alternate timeline stuff but the first game was so good that you could appreciate it despite it, this looks like it might even make me enjoy it!

Ainu

It's probably fair to say that trailer exceeded everyone's expectations. There were big question marks about how they would tackle stuff like Gold Saucer and Cait Sith and this trailer left nothing in doubt. Everything you remembered and loved is back, only bigger and better. Also, the way it introduces Vincent is just perfect.

As someone who did not enjoy FFVII Remake nearly as much as others did, I have to say this looks exceptional. If the game lives up to this trailer, it'll be the greatest reimagining/remake we've ever seen.

amolbhatia50k

No idea when I’ll play this but I’m going to do the first remake and this back to back especially given I played that one on the PS4 originally.

Superunknown

Never played a Final Fantasy game in my life, except for Mystic Quest through a SNES rom many years ago.

Is it worth playing the 'original' version of VII first (through PSN on the PS5)? Or is it just better to go for the remake and then play this when this comes out?

lilcurt

Never played a Final Fantasy game in my life, except for Mystic Quest through a SNES rom many years ago.

Is it worth playing the 'original' version of VII first (through PSN on the PS5)? Or is it just better to go for the remake and then play this when this comes out?
Final Fantasy is my favourite series, I've played them all barring 11.

IMO VII original still holds up if you are used to playing turn based retro games. If you aren't, you'll have a much harder time sticking with it.

Ultimately, I would say it is worth it but not essential. If you are pushed for time play Remake and continue to Rebirth.

To add to that, if I was going to recommend any older Final Fantasy to a newcomer, it would be 9 or 10 (maybe 6). I feel those games are superior in terms of story. 7 just had a leap in technology and a very engaging hero & villain.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord

If you've never played FF7, you should definitely play it. Iconic game.

SuperiorXI

The original is an entirely different (and much better IMO) game than the remake. Definitely give it a go.

If you're going to try it out, there are some mods which can make it look like it hasn't aged so badly, the Satsuki mod is a good one.

It's an incredible game, though. One that everyone should at least try IMO.

Ainu

It depends on your tolerance of dated games, but I would say yes, it is still worth it. Visually it's dated, there's no way around that, with it being the first 3D FF game. But that's only a small part of the experience. Its materia system stands the test of time, as does the world building and especially the soundtrack, which remains brilliant.

I replayed it a couple of years ago and still really enjoyed it, but of course I have the childhood nostalgia that wouldn't apply to you. If you're getting it from the PS Store, you get some QoL changes and modifiers that make getting through it quickly much easier, such as a fast-forward option to speed up any grinding you might want to do.

If you're planning to get into the remake (and rebirth) at some point, I believe just going through the original story once will still enhance that experience, even without the nostalgia.

CloneMC16

I absolutely cannot wait for this. I haven't played FFVII before, but I know how much the fans love it. Made me excited to play the remake. I played through FFVII:R and loved pretty much everything about it. It's definitely one of my favourite games over the last few years. It also has an amazing soundtrack. I still listen to it on YT all the time.

I didn't want to spoilt myself for Rebirth, but I had to watch the videos. It looks incredible. February can't come soon enough!

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I absolutely cannot wait for this. I haven't played FFVII before, but I know how much the fans love it. Made me excited to play the remake. I played through FFVII:R and loved pretty much everything about it. It's definitely one of my favourite games over the last few years. It also has an amazing soundtrack. I still listen to it on YT all the time.

I didn't want to spoilt myself for Rebirth, but I had to watch the videos. It looks incredible. February can't come soon enough!
You should play the original my man. It's amazing. Though it will obviously spoil the story completely for you.

amolbhatia50k

But why would anyone play the original (other than nostalgia) with next gen versions available? I mean I loved RE2 as a kid but if I’m ever replaying it I’m playing the remake.

pacifictheme

But why would anyone play the original (other than nostalgia) with next gen versions available? I mean I loved RE2 as a kid but if I’m ever replaying it I’m playing the remake.
Well the original ff7 and remake/ rebirth are not the same. This is, if anything, a sequel, alternative timeline, whatever. But yeah it's not a one for one retelling of the first game (sadly).