Gaming Final Fantasy VII: Rebirth (PS5)

SuperiorXI

But why would anyone play the original (other than nostalgia) with next gen versions available? I mean I loved RE2 as a kid but if I’m ever replaying it I’m playing the remake.
I don't consider the "remake" to be a "remake", too much of the game is entirely different. It is a seperate game, a reimagining of the story. It is a good game, though and worth playing. The original still remains a superior game; turn based combat with the materia system and a unique charm with the dated 3D models and midi music. The cutscenes are still great to this day, the opening is one of the greatest and most epic ever in gaming.

Lastwolf

I mean it's still pretty much following the storylines of the original game.

I'm kinda half annoyed they split it into 3 games and added filler that didn't need to be there, half understanding that they had to make some changes to keep it interesting.

I'm very confused why they felt the need to reinvent the wheel and take 3 years to bring out the 2nd part, if they follow the same pattern the 3rd part will be out in 2028 on the Ps6.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout

I'm kinda half annoyed they split it into 3 games and added filler that didn't need to be there, half understanding that they had to make some changes to keep it interesting.

I'm very confused why they felt the need to reinvent the wheel and take 3 years to bring out the 2nd part, if they follow the same pattern the 3rd part will be out in 2028 on the Ps6.
2024 + 3 years = 2027 = you’re wrong.

Ainu

But why would anyone play the original (other than nostalgia) with next gen versions available? I mean I loved RE2 as a kid but if I’m ever replaying it I’m playing the remake.
This is the sort of statement I would only expect from an exec like Jim Ryan instead of a gamer. In fact, he said almost literally the same thing.

The original and the remake(s) are radically different games. They're so far apart they can't even be considered the same genre. I don't think the RE2 comparison is useful in that sense, because that one does feel more like a modern version of the same game. In FF VII's case, the remake feels like a complete reimagining of the original, resulting in a completely different experience. The original is still its own thing and in my opinion in no way diminished by the existence of the remake.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I don't consider the "remake" to be a "remake", too much of the game is entirely different. It is a seperate game, a reimagining of the story. It is a good game, though and worth playing. The original still remains a superior game; turn based combat with the materia system and a unique charm with the dated 3D models and midi music. The cutscenes are still great to this day, the opening is one of the greatest and most epic ever in gaming.
I’ll take your word for it. But the original is a 1997 game. For someone like me who was never an FF guy, these new games are more than enough.

This is the sort of statement I would only expect from an exec like Jim Ryan instead of a gamer. In fact, he said almost literally the same thing.

The original and the remake(s) are radically different games. They're so far apart they can't even be considered the same genre. I don't think the RE2 comparison is useful in that sense, because that one does feel more like a modern version of the same game. In FF VII's case, the remake feels like a complete reimagining of the original, resulting in a completely different experience. The original is still its own thing and in my opinion in no way diminished by the existence of the remake.
I’d replace gamer with non FF fan. I was a big gamer even back then but turn based RPGs weren’t my jam. So to go back and play an ancient game which I never really do anyway, and that too for a game of that ilk doesn’t excite me. Playing these remakes though with their shiny polish significantly reduces the barrier to entry .

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
How would playing the original game spoil the story, that IS the story
I mean, if remake is the first edition you play and you don't want to spoil the story further down the line, the original does sort of spoil that.

Remake is a very different game than the original.

Ainu

I’ll take your word for it. But the original is a 1997 game. For someone like me who was never an FF guy, these new games are more than enough.

I’d replace gamer with non FF fan. I was a big gamer even back then but turn based RPGs weren’t my jam. So to go back and play an ancient game which I never really do anyway, and that too for a game of that ilk doesn’t excite me. Playing these remakes though with their shiny polish significantly reduces the barrier to entry .
Well yeah, if you don't like old games and you don't like turn-based RPGs, obviously there's no point in playing the original. But it's not like the remake is simply a superior version of the original, they're too different. Someone who does like JRPGs and has never played the original might actually find that to be the more enjoyable game. You don't already have to be a classic FF fan to enjoy the original in 2023.

CloneMC16

You should play the original my man. It's amazing. Though it will obviously spoil the story completely for you.
That is why I haven't played the original. I don't know the story and want to experience it in the remake. I did plan on playing the OG, but as soon as they announced the remake, I said to myself I would wait and play that instead.

Based on what I have read, I know that the first game isn't the exact same as the OG, but I'm sure some plenty of things are still the same.

Lastwolf

2024 + 3 years = 2027 = you’re wrong.
I mean the actual distance was 46 months 9 days between the first two parts, which would leave me on Jan 9th 2028, but that was entirely a fluke I just knew it was deep into 3+ years.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
I mean the actual distance was 46 months 9 days between the first two parts, which would leave me on Jan 9th 2028, but that was entirely a fluke I just knew it was deep into 3+ years.
@esmufc07 absolutely DESTROYED by facts and logic.

pacifictheme

The second game is huge and will likely take us through almost every major location in the original game bar midgar. You'd assume every single one has been expanded. It's not a surprise it took a while.

I've not really watched any trailers for it but that's my understanding.

Even if the combat remains the same (which I really hope), there was still a lot of work to do. Plus I would imagine they wanted 2022 to be about ff16. Oops.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Just to let anyone know it's only £55 at the moment on Hit (Base) for the pre-order. They don't charge until it's dispatched either.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I still can't believe they haven't ported the first one to Xbox yet. The heck is wrong with these people
Square Enix don’t give a shit about Xbox.

never played intergrade. Maybe I’ll replay the upgraded ps5 version before this comes out.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I platinumed the ps4 version and wanted to do the same with Intergrade, but lost interest before beating hard mode. Also still have to finish the Yuffie stuff. Is it good?

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I booked a few days off around the weekend to play this and we have been invited to a fecking birthday party on the Saturday and Sunday (it's far away so means travel and overnight stay). :mad:

amolbhatia50k

I don’t get why Sony is making such a big deal out of FF7 with a special State of Play. It’s not even a proper exclusive ffs - just a timed one.

Woodzy

Will probably skip the demo.

Already have the game pre-ordered. There’s very little they need to improve upon from the first one for me to enjoy equally as much and that’s all I need.

Just hoping they don’t feck the story up too much.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Will probably skip the demo.

Already have the game pre-ordered. There’s very little they need to improve upon from the first one for me to enjoy equally as much and that’s all I need.

Just hoping they don’t feck the story up too much.
Same, don't really like playing a demo and then having to wait. Would rather just blast it all out on release.

Ainu

I don’t get why Sony is making such a big deal out of FF7 with a special State of Play. It’s not even a proper exclusive ffs - just a timed one.
Because it is a big deal, it's Final Fantasy 7. Even as a timed exclusive, it's probably almost as much of a system seller as first party games.

amolbhatia50k

Because it is a big deal, it's Final Fantasy 7. Even as a timed exclusive, it's probably almost as much of a system seller as first party games.
I mean I somewhat get it. But it’s not like it belongs to Sony. Just a three month window. Should be like a Square Enix thing. Maybe it’s more that I’ve never really being a FF guy.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I mean I somewhat get it. But it’s not like it belongs to Sony. Just a three month window. Should be like a Square Enix thing. Maybe it’s more that I’ve never really being a FF guy.
Sony has an official partnership with Square Enix and there are multiple sony products being released or used an official product in conjunction with the game so it makes sense.

Ainu

I'm not sure why that's weird. The relationship between Playstation and Square Enix has always been very close. For their biggest games, one could arguably mistake SE for a first party studio.

Semper Fudge

Adds nothing to the discussion
I'm not sure why that's weird. The relationship between Playstation and Square Enix has always been very close. For their biggest games, one could arguably mistake SE for a first party studio.
It's not weird, amol is being weird about it for some reason.