Gaming Final Fantasy VII: Rebirth (PS5)

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Just beat the Chapter 3 boss. Enjoying hard mode, feel like it makes you think much more regarding strategies and making use of abilities. Much quicker going through too with all the fast travel locations available.

Flowers on the hill quest on chapter 2 though with the mandrakes (think that’s what they were called) - utterly ridiculous.
Definitely. It's good that you have to utilise different strats.

Did you manage to do that side quest? There is a strat to do with Aerith if you need it.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I did in the end, used RXIII’s sentinel stance/ stardust ray and Fira+magnify with the other two.
Nice. I put down a ward with Aerith and hit them with Firaga and Fira with the other two.

When I first tried it and got wiped within 5 seconds I did think I was going to have to reassess if hard mode would even be possible for me. :lol:

CloneMC16

Nice. I put down a ward with Aerith and hit them with Firaga and Fira with the other two.

When I first tried it and got wiped within 5 seconds I did think I was going to have to reassess if hard mode would even be possible for me. :lol:
Same thing happened to me. I was not expecting the first side quest on hard mode to destroy me immediately :lol:

That is honestly one of the hardest side quests in hard mode. Most of them are pretty easy. I was surprised at how some of them are a few basic mobs that die in one -aga spell. Didn't seem worthwhile putting a manuscript behind them.

Yuffies bored song is so good and such a fun addition.
Great song. Yuffie is great in this game. I love the banter between her and Barret.

Last edited:

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
You’re a whiner bastard.
I have limited gaming time now and don’t appreciate all this shit :lol: I think I’d have had more tolerance for all the vast amounts of crap they chucked into the game before I had a baby. When I get an hour a day and it’s spent trying to get a Chocobo to glide in a specific way I get cranky.

Mystry

Friendship is magic
Anyone else having trouble with the third gears and gambit mini game? My robots don't seem to want to target any of the normal enemies no matter what gambit i give them. They all just go after the boss.

TrustInOle

128 hours later and 3% of the storyline remaining, but my god, I don't want this journey to end for another 3-5 years.

Saving the finally till the place is kid and OH free!

Raw

Any one of you lot got the platinum yet? I've "only" got to finish hard mode and the remaining Chadley challenges, which in turn will unlock the Johnny 7 star trophy. Difficulty is really gonna ramp up now.

CloneMC16

Any one of you lot got the platinum yet? I've "only" got to finish hard mode and the remaining Chadley challenges, which in turn will unlock the Johnny 7 star trophy. Difficulty is really gonna ramp up now.
Not yet, but getting there. I'm up to chapter 8 on hard mode. I have the legendary Chadley challenges to do as well. The brutal challenges are much easier with the Yuffie Brumal Form and ATB Ward cheese.

TrustInOle

Couldn't wait, I just finished it up.

Ending took me back to being that 11 year old boy and destroyed me. Really interesting how cloud seems to be in a state of denial or something and could set up for some even deeper character growth wants he eventually snaps out Sephiroths influence!

The multiverse stuff is exciting to, can't wait to see where this will all lead to.
Also, fighting together with Zack was magical!

Overall I think they overachieved and expectations were already high! Yes some mini games were gimmicky but I thoroughly enjoyed every minute. Over 130 hours and I can not wait to not only run on hard mode, but also the 3rd game which in the original is where the game REALLY opens up.

My GOTY!

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Couldn't wait, I just finished it up.

Ending took me back to being that 11 year old boy and destroyed me. Really interesting how cloud seems to be in a state of denial or something and could set up for some even deeper character growth wants he eventually snaps out Sephiroths influence!

The multiverse stuff is exciting to, can't wait to see where this will all lead to.
Also, fighting together with Zack was magical!

Overall I think they overachieved and expectations were already high! Yes some mini games were gimmicky but I thoroughly enjoyed every minute. Over 130 hours and I can not wait to not only run on hard mode, but also the 3rd game which in the original is where the game REALLY opens up.

My GOTY!
Nice! I’m upto Chapter 10 on hard mode and around 130 hours in myself. Just need to finish the rest on hard, clean up Johnnys treasures and finish Chadley’s missions and then should have the platinum.

Irwin99

I will never know why people like the character of Zack or the multiverse stuff- i'm clearly the problem and i'm in the minority here I fully admit :lol: .

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Just did the same fight on hard. I thought that was the first difficult one. Took me multiple attempts and Barret was dead when I finally beat him.
Same here. Lifesaver was very useful in the end. Red had about 300 HP left before Odin finished him with his ultimate, well timed!

First one I’ve really struggled with so far. Got lucky in that I managed to destroy all his skulls he summons in the second phase before they became possessed so didn’t have any debuffs applied in the second phase.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Just did the same fight on hard. I thought that was the first difficult one. Took me multiple attempts and Barret was dead when I finally beat him.
I had a bit of trouble with the Golem in the mines as well. Though mostly because I didnt really bother to properly build Barret and Red for it.

padr81

Supports
Man City
I will never know why people like the character of Zack or the multiverse stuff- i'm clearly the problem and i'm in the minority here I fully admit :lol: .
I'm not huge on the timelines but its keeps things interesting for og fans but man I fecking hate Zack. Was literally a throwaway character in the og who got bumped up being like a happy Cloud. I just don't get what he brings. I have theories on why he's in the remakes but I hate them all.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Enjoyed the Rufus fight on hard mode, felt like the game gives you that chance to work him out and steadily improve to beat him, rather than some of the one shot gimmicks seen with other bosses.

CloneMC16

Enjoyed the Rufus fight on hard mode, felt like the game gives you that chance to work him out and steadily improve to beat him, rather than some of the one shot gimmicks seen with other bosses.
I found that to be the hardest fight in hard mode. That fight is completely different to every other boss in the game. I was getting frustrated with it, but got much better at perfect blocking and evading his attacks. My main issues were when the dog spawns. I never really improved at that portion of the fight. It was more brute forcing and hoping for the best.

Finally finished the plat and fully completed the play log. 185 hours later. It'll be years off, but I'm massively looking forward to the 3rd game.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
I found that to be the hardest fight in hard mode. That fight is completely different to every other boss in the game. I was getting frustrated with it, but got much better at perfect blocking and evading his attacks. My main issues were when the dog spawns. I never really improved at that portion of the fight. It was more brute forcing and hoping for the best.

Finally finished the plat and fully completed the play log. 185 hours later. It'll be years off, but I'm massively looking forward to the 3rd game.
Yeah the second part was hard but thankfully I had my limit break ready to use (Max level thanks to enhanced expeditionary media (I think?) and also two ATB's so could summon Odin. Fire + Elemental on armour worked well too as there were a few fire attacks throughout the fight which allowed me to absorb HP.

I'm currently around 135 hours in - think the Brutal/Legendary battles are going to cause a lot of frustration :lol:

CloneMC16

Yeah the second part was hard but thankfully I had my limit break ready to use (Max level thanks to enhanced expeditionary media (I think?) and also two ATB's so could summon Odin. Fire + Elemental on armour worked well too as there were a few fire attacks throughout the fight which allowed me to absorb HP.

I'm currently around 135 hours in - think the Brutal/Legendary battles are going to cause a lot of frustration :lol:
I used the same strat to max my limit level, but that didn't kill him. He still had around 15% of his health left. It became chaos from that point.

I never thought about using fire absorb. That would have been a good strat!

I don't think the brutal fights are that bad with the Brumal Form cheese. Especially if you're using a guide to help get the setup right. If you're doing it blind, yeah, it will probably be tough. Bonds of Friendship is tough, though. Even with a guide, you still have to perform well to beat it!

pacifictheme

I would expect a shorter turn around than between 1 and 2 as they were heavily disrupted by COVID apparently.

Anyway I am nearing the end of my first playthrough. Does all my mini game progress carry over to hard mode, don't want to lose it all if I finish the story before going back to do the new versions of mini games.

Raw

I would expect a shorter turn around than between 1 and 2 as they were heavily disrupted by COVID apparently.

Anyway I am nearing the end of my first playthrough. Does all my mini game progress carry over to hard mode, don't want to lose it all if I finish the story before going back to do the new versions of mini games.
It all carries over, no worries. You unlock chapter select after beating the game so you don't have to go through hard mode to play the minigames you want, just go to a chapter where you can fast travel anywhere.

pacifictheme

It all carries over, no worries. You unlock chapter select after beating the game so you don't have to go through hard mode to play the minigames you want, just go to a chapter where you can fast travel anywhere.
Ah great. In that case I think I'll finish off the side quests and then finish the game. Leave the mini games for the next playthrough.