Gaming Final Fantasy VII Remake (PS4, PS5) | Put discussion of chapters etc in labelled spoilers as people will be at different points

padr81

Supports
Man City
I think I'm going to find the combat really challenging too. I wish they had an option to turn on turn based combat.
Classic mode is essentially turn based without the attack command. Can be a bit boring on trash mobs though.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Great. A bit into Chapter 3 now and the fights in the previous chapter were fairly easy. Been literally decades since I played the original FF VII but seeing stuff I recognise from it like in Chapter 2 with Jessie and the map of Midgar.
Yeah they've managed to capture the little bits like that really well!

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
So far I think it's been good, probably around 5 hours in, but i'm not blown away. I never owned a PS1 or PS2 though, but I've never been that impressed by the FF series. I played FF7 original on my Wii and thought it was awesome and played FFX on my mates Ps2, which was good, but not that good really. FF 13 and FFXV I just couldn't get into.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
So far I think it's been good, probably around 5 hours in, but i'm not blown away. I never owned a PS1 or PS2 though, but I've never been that impressed by the FF series. I played FF7 original on my Wii and thought it was awesome and played FFX on my mates Ps2, which was good, but not that good really. FF 13 and FFXV I just couldn't get into.
Ps1 era FFs were brilliant back then, but the industry has caught uo with them. In my opinion western developers have long ago overtaken the Japanese in making rpg's. Games like Skyrim, The Witcher 3 or Divinity are head and shoulders above any jrpg ever released if you ask me.

Different strokes of course, but I cannot fathom how some people prefer Persona 5 over those games. Though I guess it's a western thing to prefer somewhat realistic personalities in their characters.

Playing this remale though just bringen me back to being a 13 year old kid sitting in the attic with his playstation.

Irwin99

Had my first game over against Shiva and it took many battles to finally beat her. I thought I prepared for it pretty well initially as I had elemental materia paired with Fire, regen/cure and an Ifrit summon but i really struggled with that battle. I only did it by leaving off casting Ifrit until her health was quite low and waiting for him to cast Hellfire.

Art Vandelay

Had my first game over against Shiva and it took many battles to finally beat her. I thought I prepared for it pretty well initially as I had elemental materia paired with Fire, regen/cure and an Ifrit summon but i really struggled with that battle. I only did it by leaving off casting Ifrit until her health was quite low and waiting for him to cast Hellfire.
That bitch wrecked me too. I got her on the second go, but only because Ifrit turned up and wrecked up the place for me. Luckily his despawn attack finished her because I was about to die again.

Art Vandelay

I found Wall Market really dragged towards the end, the extended fetch quest with Johnny was doing my head in as he's annoying as feck. Then the rhythm game and dance number just felt way over the top. I know Wall Market is supposed to be weird and a lot of this happened in the original, but it also felt like they ripped the arse out of it and were going over the top on everything. It's like the urgency of the story just suddenly hits a wall and goes off on this tangent. I wouldn't have been bothered by the Honey Bee stuff if I hadn't felt it was already ripping the arse out of it and I was itching to get on with rescuing Tifa. I also didn't want to play a rhythm dance section and it was like Cloud just broke character for it. All that put together made it really annoying for me. I felt it all should have moved with a bit more brevity, maybe cut the Johnny stuff or the sidequests or something.

Luckily once it got moving again with the story I was back to enjoying it. It just felt frustrating. I did like that they seemingly hired a voice actor and the only direction he was given was a picture of Sam Elliott. :lol:

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
I found Wall Market really dragged towards the end, the extended fetch quest with Johnny was doing my head in as he's annoying as feck. Then the rhythm game and dance number just felt way over the top. I know Wall Market is supposed to be weird and a lot of this happened in the original, but it also felt like they ripped the arse out of it and were going over the top on everything. It's like the urgency of the story just suddenly hits a wall and goes off on this tangent. I wouldn't have been bothered by the Honey Bee stuff if I hadn't felt it was already ripping the arse out of it and I was itching to get on with rescuing Tifa. I also didn't want to play a rhythm dance section and it was like Cloud just broke character for it. All that put together made it really annoying for me. I felt it all should have moved with a bit more brevity, maybe cut the Johnny stuff or the sidequests or something.

Luckily once it got moving again with the story I was back to enjoying it. It just felt frustrating. I did like that they seemingly hired a voice actor and the only direction he was given was a picture of Sam Elliott. :lol:
Agree with Wall Market dragging on just a bit too much, didn't like the Johnny section. Enjoyed the Colosseum though and I think it'll be a good side quest. Thought they did Don Corneo really good aswell.

Last edited:

JohnZSmith27

I'm pretty sure the boss I'm on has to be one pf the last bosses. Big flying whisperer guy. He's beaten me twice and you have to start so far back when he does. I'm about to throw my controller through the telly

Rooney1987

God I love this game. They literally couldn't have remade Cloud any better.

His Dancing :lol:
I just did this, I failed it so bad. Half laughing and half horrified, didn’t know what I was doing :lol: . Did the gym one though 33-9.

Gehrman

Ps1 era FFs were brilliant back then, but the industry has caught uo with them. In my opinion western developers have long ago overtaken the Japanese in making rpg's. Games like Skyrim, The Witcher 3 or Divinity are head and shoulders above any jrpg ever released if you ask me.

Different strokes of course, but I cannot fathom how some people prefer Persona 5 over those games. Though I guess it's a western thing to prefer somewhat realistic personalities in their characters.

Playing this remale though just bringen me back to being a 13 year old kid sitting in the attic with his playstation.
Persona 5 is one the most overrated games ever imo. 80% of the game is reptitve bad dialoge, cutscenes and loading screens. It's farly good when you are actually allowed to play the game, but most of the time you don't. It's not a bad game it's just never a goty or goat rpg.

Gehrman

How are people finding the difficulty? Im finding normal quite difficult at times.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Was great I thought. Biggs, Wedge and Jessie's deaths were done well. The Turk fight was great. Seeing a peak of Cait Sith! The cut scene was great too. Had goosebumps at so many points. I love this game.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
What are the summons like then??
You can't just summon them when you want, you'll see a countdown bar for certain battles and then you can activate the summon. They then join you for a bit and take part in the fight, when their timer is up they use their ultimate and then leave.

This is a gameplay trailer from last year. Summon is activated at 2:50

JohnZSmith27

It's difficult but for the right reasons. All down to how well you prepare your materia.
Yeah exactly. Really depends if you're equipped correctly. Even some of the regular enemies are tough if you don't have the right weapon or materia assigned. Luckily if you die you have the opportunity to change your set up before going back into the battle.

Just finished it this morning and gonna start it again later I think. Not sure I could manage the hard setting though.

Art Vandelay

Was great I thought. Biggs, Wedge and Jessie's deaths were done well. The Turk fight was great. Seeing a peak of Cait Sith! The cut scene was great too. Had goosebumps at so many points. I love this game.
I thought the complete opposite. I hated it. :lol:

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I do have to say that the realistic graphics make Cloud look ridiculous with that giant sword on his back.

Art Vandelay

You hate everything!
I like cake!!

I just felt they ripped the absolute arse out of it with the pacing from the previous chapters onwards. Wall Market dragged. The sewers weren't as bad, but then the Train Graveyard onwards just felt like padding. It's because it's portraying everything as urgent, but then slowing you down with superfluous add ons. The pillar is coming down this would be a good time to fight some ghosts. Aerith's side adventure was fine up until everything is on fire, the pillar is coming down and we need to evacuate. It's then time for hugs and bonding.

Biggs death is probably the best example. Him dropping his hand and Cloud looking startled is where he should be dead, there should not be another speech after that. I was genuinely wondering if I should be laughing at that part. It felt a bit like a self aware Monty Python sketch.

I ended up getting bored and turning it off halfway up the pillar because part of me was just constantly going "GET ON WITH IT!!!"

Gehrman

Anyone else find the movement of Cloud kind of slow and clunky?

Art Vandelay

Anyone else find the movement of Cloud kind of slow and clunky?
Usually it's fine for me, but in certain areas it can get very awkward. It's often a problem with these kind of games though. It's nowhere near as bad as The Witcher 3 or RDR2, but it can get a bit clunky and slow.

Ekeke

Only on the end of chapter 3 atm but I had to come post that the music, characters, story and atmosphere are outstanding. Better than anything I expected in the remake.

Combat is fine so far but not sure its better than turn based.

Woodzy

Up to chapter 9 now. The more I play it, the more splitting it up into multiple parts seems justified.

It's clear that the decision to do so is not an attempt to cash in (not exclusively anyway), but they are actually adding some much needed depth to the original story. especially at this early stage.

Art Vandelay

Up to chapter 9 now. The more I play it, the more splitting it up into multiple parts seems justified.

It's clear that the decision to do so is not an attempt to cash in (not exclusively anyway), but they are actually adding some much needed depth to the original story. especially at this early stage.
I feel the complete opposite. :lol:

Almost everything they've added feels like filler to me, put there to justify splitting it into multiple parts. The pacing is just frustrating me and there are parts that I'm really not liking where they are going storywise. I care less about Wedge and Jessie than I did before I started playing it. It wouldn't even be so bad if there was a bit of restraint with that filler, but they seem to just push it to the point of being frustrating for me almost every time. There are a few nice additions, but they tend to go too far with everything. I genuinely thought they were taking the piss out of themselves at one point.

I'm usually thinking they cut this into parts to add this? Why? Who thought FF7 needed this?

Gehrman

I feel the complete opposite. :lol:

Almost everything they've added feels like filler to me, put there to justify splitting it into multiple parts. The pacing is just frustrating me and there are parts that I'm really not liking where they are going storywise. I care less about Wedge and Jessie than I did before I started playing it. It wouldn't even be so bad if there was a bit of restraint with that filler, but they seem to just push it to the point of being frustrating for me almost every time. There are a few nice additions, but they tend to go too far with everything. I genuinely thought they were taking the piss out of themselves at one point.

I'm usually thinking they cut this into parts to add this? Why? Who thought FF7 needed this?
Also feel that the original had more than enough content for 1 game. Now we probably have to wait at least 3 years for the next part. Kinda ruins the flow.

Art Vandelay

Also feel that the original had more than enough content for 1 game. Now we probably have to wait at least 3 years for the next part. Kinda ruins the flow.
Yeah, I mean Midgar was like 6 hours. If they were really dead set on splitting it up then they could have pushed on way past Midgar instead of all the stuff they've padded it out with. There are sections which took about 5 minutes in the original which have been padded out to last over an hour here without actually improving anything, sometimes they even disrupt the flow completely.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Yeah, I mean Midgar was like 6 hours. If they were really dead set on splitting it up then they could have pushed on way past Midgar instead of all the stuff they've padded it out with. There are sections which took about 5 minutes in the original which have been padded out to last over an hour here without actually improving anything, sometimes they even disrupt the flow completely.
To me Midgar is by far the most interesting part of FF7's entire planet. Always felt it was a shame that it was such a small part of the original. Remember being elated when I dug up that key in the original.

Art Vandelay

To me Midgar is by far the most interesting part of FF7's entire planet. Always felt it was a shame that it was such a small part of the original. Remember being elated when I dug up that key in the original.
I like Midgar and the look of what they've done with it in this. It looks great when it bothers rendering, but it's not like they've given you an open world there to explore. It's a series of corridors and the padding is fetch quests or story tangents that don't really add anything.

Zen

Cloud's a bloody stud. All I'm getting so far.... (chapter 4).