Gaming Final Fantasy VII Remake (PS4, PS5) | Put discussion of chapters etc in labelled spoilers as people will be at different points

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
This one feels so damn long. Think the worst moment was 10-20 minutes in, after going up high to escape from Reno and the soldiers, there was a cutscene with Reno talking to the soldiers and I saw a yellow materia I missed, knowing that there was no way I'd be able to get back to it. What feels like an hour or two later I'm about to start the sidequests. Got 14 moogle medals left, what would you recommend buying from Mog first?

JohnZSmith27

This one feels so damn long. Think the worst moment was 10-20 minutes in, after going up high to escape from Reno and the soldiers, there was a cutscene with Reno talking to the soldiers and I saw a yellow materia I missed, knowing that there was no way I'd be able to get back to it. What feels like an hour or two later I'm about to start the sidequests. Got 14 moogle medals left, what would you recommend buying from Mog first?
Did you buy the manuscripts from him?

Art Vandelay

Manuscripts are handy and I think he has a weapon for Aerith which are good even just for going out and grinding to learn the skills from. The scarf is decent for Aerith as she is so slow to fill her ATB gauge unless you directly control her.

You can't get that materia at that point but can run back there any time after that. I had the same issue and reloaded. It's just another chakra anyway.

Ainu

It is lazy, because they added "classic combat" to appease to classic FF gamers but it is classic only in name, either have one combat, or if you want to have "classic combat" you do it right and put some effort in or not at all, so yeah, lazy.

Classic my arse.
It's just another option. How is having another option lazy? Doesn't make sense. Perhaps you believe "classic" isn't an accurate term for that mode and in that case I would agree. However, calling them lazy because of that just seems symptomatic of typical modern gamer entitlement.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
It's not a fantastic game at all. Parts of it are fantastic call backs to what was a fantastic game, but this is not fantastic game.
Different strokes I guess. Nostalgia's a factor for sure though.

My taste is wrong anyway, I grew bored of bestest ever game in all eternity RDR2 in an hour. Same with DQ11, which I just didnt find fun on any level.

What's your main beef with this one?

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Did you buy the manuscripts from him?
Manuscripts are handy and I think he has a weapon for Aerith which are good even just for going out and grinding to learn the skills from. The scarf is decent for Aerith as she is so slow to fill her ATB gauge unless you directly control her.

You can't get that materia at that point but can run back there any time after that. I had the same issue and reloaded. It's just another chakra anyway.
Manuscript = books that increase the skill points? Not bought any yet but will do. Only thing I bought was the music track.

Think I'll get the Staff (2), Graveyard Key (1) and two of the manuscripts (10), then get the scarf later on when I get more medals assuming I can go back to Moggle fairly straightforward.

Thanks for the help both of you.

Art Vandelay

Different strokes I guess. Nostalgia's a factor for sure though.

My taste is wrong anyway, I grew bored of bestest ever game in all eternity RDR2 in an hour. Same with DQ11, which I just didnt find fun on any level.

What's your main beef with this one?
Remove the nostalgia though and the textures barely load half the time, the combat isn't that good, the mini games are awful, there's far too much padding and it's in the wrong places which fecks with the pacing of sections that are supposed to be urgent. None of that is game breaking, but it detracts from it being fantastic. That's all I can say without going into parts of the game you might not have reached yet.

evil_geko

It's just another option. How is having another option lazy? Doesn't make sense. Perhaps you believe "classic" isn't an accurate term for that mode and in that case I would agree. However, calling them lazy because of that just seems symptomatic of typical modern gamer entitlement.
Modern gamer entitlement? You are way off the mark in this argument, I am as far of a "modern gamer" as one can be, this is going nowhere if you can't see the point.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Remove the nostalgia though and the textures barely load half the time, the combat isn't that good, the mini games are awful, there's far too much padding and it's in the wrong places which fecks with the pacing of sections that are supposed to be urgent. None of that is game breaking, but it detracts from it being fantastic. That's all I can say without going into parts of the game you might not have reached yet.
Fair enough, Ive hear a lot of flack about the ending from people, Im only about half way, so who knows, I might hate it too in a few days :)

Art Vandelay

Manuscript = books that increase the skill points? Not bought any yet but will do. Only thing I bought was the music track.

Think I'll get the Staff (2), Graveyard Key (1) and two of the manuscripts (10), then get the scarf later on when I get more medals assuming I can go back to Moggle fairly straightforward.

Thanks for the help both of you.
Oh yeah I forgot about the key, get that you need it for a sidequest. The manuscripts for Aerith and Cloud I'd get now as you can get the others later I think.

Raw

Oh for feck sake. Just encountered a game breaking glitch. Lads, please save often.

When fighting the Ghoul boss, it does a move that looks like it pulls you under the ground. When that happened, it glitched me out of the room and triggered the cutscene afterwards. Once the cutscene finished, it still puts me in battle mode under the floor and I can't move anywhere. And it made a fecking autosave.

The last save I made was back in chapter 9, before the dance minigame.

For feck sake.

Edit: Thank god. Just kept reloading and it fixed the issue.

Last edited:

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
you can do the whack a crate minigame over and over. You always get 1 medal for it

esmufc07

Brad
Scout

Boss fights with summons while the orchestral boss music is playing is just :drool:

Woodzy

Was great I thought. Biggs, Wedge and Jessie's deaths were done well. The Turk fight was great. Seeing a peak of Cait Sith! The cut scene was great too. Had goosebumps at so many points. I love this game.
You've incorrectly marked these spoilers as chapter 10 by the looks of it. Just a heads up.

Zen

I'm up to like chapter 5 and these textures that this dude is banging on about(I'm sure you aren't alone in the world and they'll certainly be people who are worse on the subject).... not bothered me, hell I've not even noticed. As I have said, I'm seriously no expert eye, but you know. I'm not exactly looking either, sometimes Cloud and some others look a bit gormless though, but only when I'm casually circling the camera looking around the places.

Other stuff though, I kinda agree. It's felt like a drag at times, and I'm only 5 hours in... the midgar section was never a fave from the original though, so that may not be helping! A lot of the padding so far is girls coming on to Cloud too which is a bit tedious. Smashed the darts though after 20 minutes..... 7 dart finish, not needing a double to finish helped though.

But generally, I am enjoying it.

Rooney1987

It's not a fantastic game at all. Parts of it are fantastic call backs to what was a fantastic game, but this is not fantastic game.
Well based on metacritic is it. High 80’s is pretty fantastic.

Can’t believe I’m saying this but I’d agree with IGN review, must be a first for me. 8/10 was fair and I agree with its criticisms.

Art Vandelay

Well based on metacritic is it. High 80’s is pretty fantastic.

Can’t believe I’m saying this but I’d agree with IGN review, must be a first for me. 8/10 was fair and I agree with its criticisms.
Have you finished it? I didn't see any of the reviews even mentioning why it upset a lot of people and don't want to jump too far ahead of where you are.

Also there's scores in there that are 10/10, how do you objectively say this is a perfect game? Even if you like it as a game it's not perfect. Even when I was loving it I knew it was not a 10/10 game, there's just no objective way a professional reviewer should be giving this game a 10. 10 is perfect and it's not perfect.

Last edited:

Xeno

Art Vandelay said:
Everything ok at home?

Art Vandelay

Everything ok at home?
Yeah, having a different opinion on a game and having a perfectly reasonable and friendly conversation with someone about it doesn't mean anything is wrong. It's perfectly normal behaviour. Feels a bit weird that I have to explain that to be honest.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Have you finished it? I didn't see any of the reviews even mentioning why it upset a lot of people and don't want to jump too far ahead of where you are.

Also there's scores in there that are 10/10, how do you objectively say this is a perfect game? Even if you like it as a game it's not perfect. Even when I was loving it I knew it was not a 10/10 game, there's just no objective way a professional reviewer should be giving this game a 10. 10 is perfect and it's not perfect.
No game is a 10 and 10s shouldn’t be given.

I’d give it an 8.5/9.

My main issues on reflection are a bit too much padding in places as you’ve mentioned, which affects the pacing in a couple of areas of the game. 1 or 2 chapters drag on a bit too long and there are some needless things, but I think the reason they wanted to confine the game to Midgar was so they could end the game the way they did. They couldn’t have done it after leaving Midgar. So perhaps they will not be restrained in the same way for the next instalment of the game. I wish we’d have had the chance to explore more of Midgar though as that was my hope when they announced the entirety of the first game would take place within it, instead it’s largely the same places as the original, which isn’t an entirely bad thing, but I think they missed an opportunity there. I think they could have sacrificed a bit of the filler for a slightly shorter but more refined game. But these are all very minor isssues to me.

Having had time to think, digest and read some other comments on the ending (and by god has it split opinion!) I’m actually quite excited to see where it could go and what they do with it. As I said previously I think it would be unfair to judge before playing at least the next part. Too many people I think judging the game unfairly on what they wanted it to be and not what it is, and so perhaps being overly harsh. The same could be said for those who’ve perhaps let nostalgia cloud their vision.
I’m really intrigued by what Sephiroth meant with the ‘You have 7 seconds’. I’ve read a theory that it’s the amount of time Sephiroth takes as he’s falling to kill Aeris. Does this mean Cloud will have to make a choice in the next game whether to save Aeris or let her die to help save the planet? Could all be bollocks but until we get more info all we can do is discuss and theorise I suppose.

I’ve said a lot here without actually saying much at all so I’ll stop now :lol:

Art Vandelay

I’d give it an 8.5/9.

My main issues on reflection are a bit too much padding in places as you’ve mentioned, which affects the pacing in a couple of areas of the game. 1 or 2 chapters drag on a bit too long and there are some needless things, but I think the reason they wanted to confine the game to Midgar was so they could end the game the way they did. They couldn’t have done it after leaving Midgar. So perhaps they will not be restrained in the same way for the next instalment of the game. I wish we’d have had the chance to explore more of Midgar though as that was my hope when they announced the entirety of the first game would take place within it, instead it’s largely the same places as the original, which isn’t an entirely bad thing, but I think they missed an opportunity there. I think they could have sacrificed a bit of the filler for a slightly shorter but more refined game. But these are all very minor isssues to me.

Having had time to think, digest and read some other comments on the ending (and by god has it split opinion!) I’m actually quite excited to see where it could go and what they do with it. As I said previously I think it would be unfair to judge before playing at least the next part. Too many people I think judging the game unfairly on what they wanted it to be and not what it is, and so perhaps being overly harsh. The same could be said for those who’ve perhaps let nostalgia cloud their vision.
I’m really intrigued by what Sephiroth meant with the ‘You have 7 seconds’. I’ve read a theory that it’s the amount of time Sephiroth takes as he’s falling to kill Aeris. Does this mean Cloud will have to make a choice in the next game whether to save Aeris or let her die to help save the planet? Could all be bollocks but until we get more info all we can do is discuss and theorise I suppose.

I agree for the most part. If it didn't end the way it did I'd have probably settled on an 8.5. I fecking loved parts of it and remembered why I loved it in the first place. Seeing Aerith get fleshed out more, knowing that on the outside she's upbeat and keeps everyone happy but on the inside she's sad and lonely because she doesn't fit in, watched her mother die, lost the only person she ever loved and then found Cloud who reminded her of Zack and that's why she got attached to him. Then she bonded with Tifa, proved herself to Barrett and basically found a place with them. That's how she got caught up from selling flowers to getting flat out fecking murdered by Sephiroth to saving the world. Seeing some of that with her as a fully formed character with a voice and modern graphics was amazing. Just getting to see the places I grew up playing through was great and I loved it.

I knew fine rightly though there were issues as I pointed out but none of them absolutely terrible or game break, just that it's far from perfect. Even the padding I complained about, I don't object to most of it. It was just too often in the wrong place, like gotta save Tifa let's go! Then it goes off on a whole tangent that could have fit in somewhere else when there's downtime. The Train Graveyard is where it really fell flat though. Pillar is coming down need to go, explosions, fire! No wait, fight some ghosts, move some cranes and erm fight this thing here now. Like it would have been decent content somewhere else in the game, not while you're hurrying to the pillar.

I did not like the Jessie mission, that could have been exposition and a couple of scenes but turned into a couple of hours involving some retard doing crazy motorbike shit and Wedge's sore ass and the worst attempt at sneaking in somewhere ever. She sent up not one but two flairs while sneaking in somewhere!

I was prepared to forgive the fates thing provided they didn't go too far with it, but the more it went on the more I got a bad feeling. I got a bad feeling from the very start when they interrupted Aerith for Sephiroth and The Fates. I think the moment it fell apart for me was the Train Graveyard. Then the pillar and Aerith needing to have a lenghty conversation about Wedge's worth then needing to stop for hugs and bonding with Marlene while everything was on fire and trying to evacuate. Then Biggs' death almost had me laughing when his hand dropped, Cloud looked upset and next thing he's giving another bloody speech! It felt like it had become self parody with the padding.

In spite of all that I'd loved a lot of it, I just kind of knew if it gets any worse I'm going to start actively disliking it and my mate had complained a lot about the Shinra building being padding, he hadn't played FF7 before but flat out said in a group chat that I was going to be more annoyed than at the end of Mass Effect 3 and believe me I'm still annoyed about that today. So I figured I needed to make a call on if I go on or just look up the ending, then I guessed what it would be, partly in jest, and to my horror he confirmed I was very close and I just kind of gave up and looked at the ending. I'm glad I didn't actually play through and just watched it as I'd have thrown something at the screen.

That's where it goes back to the start and I'd take that 8.5 away and give it a 0. That ending is you fighting fate and fate wants the original story to happen, by defeating it you change the story dramatically and that is not what I want nor why I gave them money. I want that emotional impact of getting to know Aerith in more detail knowing fine rightly what's coming and there's no way to stop it. I want the impact of her at The Gold Saucer knowing this is one of the only times she gets to be truly happy and feel a part of something before the end. I want Cloud discovering he's nuttier than squirrel turds and finding out Tifa has been the hero all along with everything she's lost she's holding everyone else together. Square just said feck all that, threw the end boss in with no build up and now that's the story you just destroyed by fighting fate. They more or less gave the middle finger to the people that spent years waiting on the remake.

They gave themselves the licence to do whatever they want and what they want seems to be mad anime bollocks, a weirdo on a motorbike, giant tentacle fate monsters and a ghostly horse and cart followed by Advent Children levels of madness. I mean what they added doesn't even make sense within itself and they are to be trusted to feck with the rest of the story? Which for me is not what it was sold as so I can only call it utter shit that reminded me of a game that I truly did love. They took away the nostalgia that was holding it together for me and left me with nothing but £70 I regret giving them.

I'm not going to say anyone is wrong for liking the ending, but I feel lied to and betrayed by Square for going that way with it. I can accept changes, I just can't accept them doing that. I don't care where it goes from here I'm not giving them any more money. I wanted a remake of what I loved, not a sequel I never wanted. They are all aware of their endings now and trying to change them for some reason. I mean only Aerith had a bad one and only she knows what it is, why are the rest of them even fighting the fate monster? The fates even saved Barrett a few minutes before. Why do they give a feck about future Sephiroth? It took a running dump on the actual story and I think anyone waiting for that to play out in any satisfying way is going to be disappointed.

Also I made you feel better about yourself by rambling even more than you did. :lol:

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
I'm not going to say anyone is wrong for liking the ending, but I feel lied to and betrayed by Square for going that way with it. I can accept changes, I just can't accept them doing that. I don't care where it goes from here I'm not giving them any more money. I wanted a remake of what I loved, not a sequel I never wanted. They are all aware of their endings now and trying to change them for some reason. I mean only Aerith had a bad one and only she knows what it is, why are the rest of them even fighting the fate monster? The fates even saved Barrett a few minutes before. Why do they give a feck about future Sephiroth? It took a running dump on the actual story and I think anyone waiting for that to play out in any satisfying way is going to be disappointed.

Also I made you feel better about yourself by rambling even more than you did. :lol:
All fair points and I really do understand where you are coming from, I suppose I am just a bit more forgiving and willing to see where they go with it. The original will always be there and whatever they do with this doesn't change the fact that that is a timeless game. Perhaps this will go all Lost on us, who knows :lol:

I can understand people being miffed into thinking it was a Remake only for them to drop that ending now. It's clear what they now mean by Remake. Sort of reminds me of MGS2 where they never advertised Raiden but half an hour into the game you stop playing as Snake and start playing as a whiny bitch:lol:

Man, I love that game. I wish they'd look to do a remake of MGS:drool:

Rooney1987

I’d give it an 8.5/9.

I was gonna write a reply but this answers most my issues with it.

It is padded out a little too much, missions like the train graveyard felt too much for me. I just wanted to get to sector 7 and all that ghost stuff just annoyed me. Some of the side quests are tedious too.

I always wanted to see more of Midgar and what we saw it was great but it was just what we've already seen, just more expanded I guess. When we see Edge in Advent Children which i know isn't Midgar it''s more on the edge of Midgar (if I remember please correct me if not) rather then in it but you see what it would have looked like in future games. I thought we'd get more of a metropolitan city rather as well rather then just a few dirty slums, reactors and Shinra building.I agree though I loved what I saw but I'd have rather they expanded on Midgar with more missions rather then make the same but just longer.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
I was gonna write a reply but this answers most my issues with it.

It is padded out a little too much, missions like the train graveyard felt too much for me. I just wanted to get to sector 7 and all that ghost stuff just annoyed me. Some of the side quests are tedious too.

I always wanted to see more of Midgar and what we saw it was great but it was just what we've already seen, just more expanded I guess. When we see Edge in Advent Children which i know isn't Midgar it''s more on the edge of Midgar (if I remember please correct me if not) rather then in it but you see what it would have looked like in future games. I thought we'd get more of a metropolitan city rather as well rather then just a few dirty slums, reactors and Shinra building.I agree though I loved what I saw but I'd have rather they expanded on Midgar with more missions rather then make the same but just longer.
Yeah that's what I was expecting. Instead it was just a series of long corridors. Even the surroundings felt a bit 'meh' at times, as you can't even interact with half the people you come across. Overhearing their conversations was interesting at times but it'd have been nice to have that interaction and hear bits and pieces of the story through different rumours. Or them just giving some generic information as they did in the original. I think they'd boxed themselves into Midgar, and they clearly knew where they wanted to end Midgar and so that's why it had to be confined I think.

I'm thinking far too much about this game at the moment :lol:

Art Vandelay

Say whaaat? She's amazing!
She's shit if you're not actively controlling her. Especially at the the beginning. I had to give her that scarf that you can buy to give her an ATB boost at the start of fights, otherwise I had to control her instead of Cloud so I could actually get some abilities out of her. She eventually got better and could be a wrecking machine, but I'd rather have used the rest of them.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Tifa is great in this game and can get very powerful. I never used her or Aeris much in the original (My team was always a combination of Cloud, Barret, XIII, Cid and Vincent - feck off Cait Sith), but they've done a great job of her in this.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
She's shit if you're not actively controlling her. Especially at the the beginning. I had to give her that scarf that you can buy to give her an ATB boost at the start of fights, otherwise I had to control her instead of Cloud so I could actually get some abilities out of her. She eventually got better and could be a wrecking machine, but I'd rather have used the rest of them.
Yeah her ATB was a bit slow but I tend to switch between characters when fighting anyway so it didn't really bother me too much.

Rooney1987

Tifa is great in this game and can get very powerful. I never used her or Aeris much in the original (My team was always a combination of Cloud, Barret, XIII, Cid and Vincent - feck off Cait Sith), but they've done a great job of her in this.
Agreed. Said it a few pages back I always hated having to put Aerith in my team, especially when it was forced. Didn't mind it at all this game. I liked her as a character too, she is kind of annoying in original (might be down to fact we had to use her when we didn't want to rather then her actual character) but not in this.

I did like what they did with Jessie too

Makes her scene so much more emotional. In original when all 3 kick it, it's not that big of a deal your more emotional about Barrett and Marlene at that point. Maybe that was just me. Speaking of the other 2, so Biggs is alive and I wonder if Wedge is too. Wedge got a speech in a way before Shinra turned up but we don't see him die. I wonder how much of a part they'll play or will they both be forgotten.