Gaming Final Fantasy VII Remake (PS4, PS5) | Put discussion of chapters etc in labelled spoilers as people will be at different points

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
The camera is really still putting me off because it's so far to the side of Cloud sometimes. In combat it's perfect but running about feels strange

Raw

The camera is really still putting me off because it's so far to the side of Cloud sometimes. In combat it's perfect but running about feels strange
Go in the settings and change the camera distance. Much better when it's further away.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Go in the settings and change the camera distance. Much better when it's further away.
Did that mate, still feels off. Better than it did before but still weird.

Art Vandelay

You not enjoy X?
It was ok, but got a bit convoluted for me. It felt like a big step down after 9, but not particularly bad or good. I think part of the issue was that the bar was so high with 7 and 9. I never liked the switch to voice acting either. Although that's just going off memory, I've not played either 9 or 10 in a very long time. To be fair 8 came out when Sakaguchi was there and I thought the story of that was bollocks. Fighting your time travelling babysitter...

Why are we in spoiler tags? :lol:

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
It was ok, but got a bit convoluted for me. It felt like a big step down after 9, but not particularly bad or good. I think part of the issue was that the bar was so high with 7 and 9. I never liked the switch to voice acting either. Although that's just going off memory, I've not played either 9 or 10 in a very long time. To be fair 8 came out when Sakaguchi was there and I thought the story of that was bollocks. Fighting your time travelling babysitter...

Ah I really enjoyed 7,8,9 and X. All great in their own way though 7 is a clear winner for me. Had a big wait for 12 which was a disappointment. As you say a good story is integral to any good FF game and 12,13 and 15 were disappointing in that respect.

Did you ever play Vagrant Story? That was a good good at a time when squaresoft where churning them out for fun!

And I’ve literally no idea :lol:

Art Vandelay

Ah I really enjoyed 7,8,9 and X. All great in their own way though 7 is a clear winner for me. Had a big wait for 12 which was a disappointment. As you say a good story is integral to any good FF game and 12,13 and 15 were disappointing in that respect.

Did you ever play Vagrant Story? That was a good good at a time when squaresoft where churning them out for fun!

And I’ve literally no idea :lol:
12 remains the only one I've started and not finished since 7. I didn't dislike it, I think my PS2 died about midway through it. Although there was something weird about the voices that made it hard to listen to. Might have been my PS2 though.

Vagrant Story sounds familiar. There was a guy down the street that did chipped Playstations and he was giving the games to me to try out at times, so I went through an awful lot of stuff I barely remember. I have vague memories of a fighting game with Cloud and possibly Tifa in it. Einhander or something. Consequently I started and didn't finish an awful lot of RPG's back then too.

I keep being tempted to tag people that haven't finished the game in these non-spoiler posts behind spoiler tags. Just to confuse and scare them :lol: .

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Do anyone who hasn't played the original actually know who Sepiroth is and why he's Cloud's creepy stalker?

Raw

12 remains the only one I've started and not finished since 7. I didn't dislike it, I think my PS2 died about midway through it. Although there was something weird about the voices that made it hard to listen to. Might have been my PS2 though.

Vagrant Story sounds familiar. There was a guy down the street that did chipped Playstations and he was giving the games to me to try out at times, so I went through an awful lot of stuff I barely remember. I have vague memories of a fighting game with Cloud and possibly Tifa in it. Einhander or something. Consequently I started and didn't finish an awful lot of RPG's back then too.

I keep being tempted to tag people that haven't finished the game in these non-spoiler posts behind spoiler tags. Just to confuse and scare them :lol: .
You're thinking of Ehrgeiz :D

Gehrman

It really sucks that the level cap is 50. What's the point of this? Levelling up while going through hard mode should be part of the fun.

Irwin99

Finally completed all the intel reports except the bahamut battle which is looking VERY tough. I can't figure out how to beat him as yet.

Still pissed off at that ending but i'm determined to add this to my FF platinum collection with all the other main entry games

esmufc07

Brad
Scout

Yeah the voice acting wasn’t great but it was a completely new thing in 2001 so it was probably as could as it could have been. At least it wasn’t Resident Evil levels bad :lol:

And we must be opposites. I thought 8 was great. Yeah the story was batshit crazy but it was still great fun :)

Tempted to dust my PS3 and replay this

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Finally completed all the intel reports except the bahamut battle which is looking VERY tough. I can't figure out how to beat him as yet.

Still pissed off at that ending but i'm determined to add this to my FF platinum collection with all the other main entry games
Wait til you meet him in the Shinra VR battle:wenger:

Irwin99

Wait til you meet him in the Shinra VR battle:wenger:
I thought I wouldn't have to face him again if I did it here? I'm on chapter 14 from the chapter select on Normal. I'm basically just trying to get all the stuff out of the way before hitting hard mode

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
I thought I wouldn't have to face him again if I did it here? I'm on chapter 14 from the chapter select on Normal. I'm basically just trying to get all the stuff out of the way before hitting hard mode
You face him in Chadley’s VR to get him as a summon and then he’s part of one of the Shinra VR challenges aswell.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Oof Vagrant story. That brings back memories. The main guy's hair is still dumb though.

Raw

They really did nail the soundtrack :drool:

This whole song :drool: (spoilered as video title is kind of a spoiler)

When it first came on I was pretty disappointed that it didn't really sound anywhere near as good as the original. Then 5 minutes in, oh boy oh boy :drool:

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
About the ending
i liked it fine enough? They hint at some changes and possibilites for different outcomes, but they hardly could've said ok bubye after that tank thingy on the high way. The battle with Sephirot was very advent childreny, which comes with the technology since the original. All in all 9/10 game for me

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Feck that feckin’ house. I hadn’t gotten Wind yet so I didn’t have every element covered.

Also, did they get Mr T out of retirement to voice Barret? Chocobo Sam is also clearly Sam Elliot.

Art Vandelay

Yeah the voice acting wasn’t great but it was a completely new thing in 2001 so it was probably as could as it could have been. At least it wasn’t Resident Evil levels bad :lol:

And we must be opposites. I thought 8 was great. Yeah the story was batshit crazy but it was still great fun :)

Tempted to dust my PS3 and replay this
You take that Resident Evil comment back! It not only made voice acting the new standard, but it invented new ways of using the English language to convey the very nature of the human existance. "Chris is our old partner, ya know." It says so much with so little and it speaks to your soul of things past, present and those yet to happen.

Vagrant Story definitely looks familiar. I've played at least the start of it, but I doubt I could have played much or I'd remember. It was possibly a rental.

Feck that feckin’ house. I hadn’t gotten Wind yet so I didn’t have every element covered.

Also, did they get Mr T out of retirement to voice Barret? Chocobo Sam is also clearly Sam Elliot.
I looked it up and it's not even Sam Elliott, but I'm 97% sure that when directing his voice acting they just showed him a picture of Sam Elliott and let him work away.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
You take that Resident Evil comment back! It not only made voice acting the new standard, but it invented new ways of using the English language to convey the very nature of the human existance. "Chris is our old partner, ya know." It says so much with so little and it speaks to your soul of things past, present and those yet to happen.
Oh I still love the original :lol:

Woodzy

Decided to play the original again. Up to Shinra HQ already, so good.

Any missable or must have items I should know about? I don’t remember much tbh.

Gehrman

Anyone know how many mp up materia there are in the game? Quite important on hard mode.

Irwin99

Does anyone know if you get a second revive materia on chapter 4 if you play the game on hard (the first carrying on from the previous normal mode?...this is going to be very tough if I only have one party member able to use revive

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Does anyone know if you get a second revive materia on chapter 4 if you play the game on hard (the first carrying on from the previous normal mode?...this is going to be very tough if I only have one party member able to use revive
Yea, though I’m pretty sure you can buy them? I have 3.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Huh i just looked it up and you can buy it as many times as you like. How did i miss that :lol:
:lol:
I’m upto chapter 10 atm. Not too difficult as of yet bar 1 boss who was a bit of a pain but expecting a tougher second half of the game with certain bosses.

Just redoing chapter 8 atm so I can get the final dress.

Lebowski

Does hard mode beef up mob HP at all?

Playing through normal at the moment (chapter 8) and I am yearning for longer more tactical normal encounters. Feels like you can autopilot through most non-boss fights too quickly.

Gehrman

Nah, I'm sure you can buy MP Ups from vending machines. Check the materia section. They should definitely be there if you're gonna be doing hard mode.
You're right

Lebowski

I just fought the Hell House - best fight of the game so far. The different stages were good and the changing elemental weakness necessitated a good loadout and adapting on the fly. Hopefully it's a taster of what's in store for the rest of the game because the average mobs have seemed a bit of a pushover so far.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
I just fought the Hell House - best fight of the game so far. The different stages were good and the changing elemental weakness necessitated a good loadout and adapting on the fly. Hopefully it's a taster of what's in store for the rest of the game because the average mobs have seemed a bit of a pushover so far.
Feck that House.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Yeah I think the first half has been fairly easy. There’s a lot of good boss battles in the second half of the game though so I expect much stronger challenges going forward