Gaming Final Fantasy VII Remake (PS4, PS5) | Put discussion of chapters etc in labelled spoilers as people will be at different points

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Have they announced how many there are going to be? There were around 3 or 4 chapters for me that were severely overstretched in this one. You could probably breeze through the story in about 20 hours if you avoided all the side stuff in this game but as I said before, the whole point in this one was to flesh out more stuff and do those side bits but in reality they made a 4-5 hour part of the original 40 hours in total. I think in the original FFs (such as 7, 8 and 9) I spent around 80 hours on each of the games to do everything.

So what the heck are they going to miss out? They could easily make the Gold Saucer 10-20 hours if they felt like it. The Fort Condor mini game you spend a couple of hours on to do the game but also going back and forth to it during the game. Nibelheim and everything there could easily be another 10-20 hours.

Nibelheim and Gold Saucer for the next installment perhaps?

Irwin99

Well, I loved it up until midway through the Shinra building and then everything just got so overblown and ridiculous that I began to get nervous about where the story was going...and boy did it go to some strange places. I completely get the fact that 'the whispers' or 'arbiters of fate' are analogous to the players wanting the remake to happen in a certain way but really it's just fluff which detracts from the original story and becomes a tedious meta message that only makes things convoluted. They already did the 'fight against fate'/time travel stuff in 8 and 13, why bother with it again? Ironically, as someone else stated in the comments here they could have done what they did in this game with an FF8 remake and it would have worked a lot better (divergent timelines, a villain who wants to change their fate, undoing a tragedy from the past etc.). Everything just felt so unnecessary when they were doing so well up to this point.

As for the future, we have a situation where Biggs, Wedge and possibly Jessie are now alive as well as Zack. I'm pretty sure the death of Aerith will happen again and probably Zack too but I can see the others surviving which seems very cheap to me. With the reception the game has gotten I think they'll deviate a lot from the original and we're going to end up with some very weird stuff happening.

A big issue I have is that, so often with things that are episodic, you have to have a set story and a coherent vision of where you want it to go but if you leave too many cliffhangers at the end of each episode you're asking for trouble. An episodic show/movie/game can take years to reach it's conclusion and yet if you constantly keep trying to subvert expectations and keep everyone guessing you're bound to come a cropper. Maybe people can think of examples where it doesn't happen but I'm thinking the likes of Prometheus, LOST, Game of Thrones. It happens when you play a game of keeping people guessing or trying to be shocking for the sake of it. You'll get people who hate seeing a beloved story being rewritten or people who build up possibilities in their heads as to where a plot is going and the reality will never match it. Either way, most of the time it ends badly.

I'll make my way to the platinum eventually but I feel pretty deflated after that.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Well, I loved it up until midway through the Shinra building and then everything just got so overblown and ridiculous that I began to get nervous about where the story was going...and boy did it go to some strange places. I completely get the fact that 'the whispers' or 'arbiters of fate' are analogous to the players wanting the remake to happen in a certain way but really it's just fluff which detracts from the original story and becomes a tedious meta message that only makes things convoluted. They already did the 'fight against fate'/time travel stuff in 8 and 13, why bother with it again? Ironically, as someone else stated in the comments here they could have done what they did in this game with an FF8 remake and it would have worked a lot better (divergent timelines, a villain who wants to change their fate, undoing a tragedy from the past etc.). Everything just felt so unnecessary when they were doing so well up to this point.

As for the future, we have a situation where Biggs, Wedge and possibly Jessie are now alive as well as Zack. I'm pretty sure the death of Aerith will happen again and probably Zack too but I can see the others surviving which seems very cheap to me. With the reception the game has gotten I think they'll deviate a lot from the original and we're going to end up with some very weird stuff happening.

A big issue I have is that, so often with things that are episodic, you have to have a set story and a coherent vision of where you want it to go but if you leave too many cliffhangers at the end of each episode you're asking for trouble. An episodic show/movie/game can take years to reach it's conclusion and yet if you constantly keep trying to subvert expectations and keep everyone guessing you're bound to come a cropper. Maybe people can think of examples where it doesn't happen but I'm thinking the likes of Prometheus, LOST, Game of Thrones. It happens when you play a game of keeping people guessing or trying to be shocking for the sake of it. You'll get people who hate seeing a beloved story being rewritten or people who build up possibilities in their heads as to where a plot is going and the reality will never match it. Either way, most of the time it ends badly.

I'll make my way to the platinum eventually but I feel pretty deflated after that.
Fair points, and I’m tempted to agree it’s going to get very messy but I do want to believe they’ll make a success of it :lol:

esmufc07

Brad
Scout

Also didn’t Wedge die when the whispers dragged him out the Shinra building? hard to believe they’d revive him a second time....

Art Vandelay

Have they announced how many there are going to be? There were around 3 or 4 chapters for me that were severely overstretched in this one. You could probably breeze through the story in about 20 hours if you avoided all the side stuff in this game but as I said before, the whole point in this one was to flesh out more stuff and do those side bits but in reality they made a 4-5 hour part of the original 40 hours in total. I think in the original FFs (such as 7, 8 and 9) I spent around 80 hours on each of the games to do everything.

So what the heck are they going to miss out? They could easily make the Gold Saucer 10-20 hours if they felt like it. The Fort Condor mini game you spend a couple of hours on to do the game but also going back and forth to it during the game. Nibelheim and everything there could easily be another 10-20 hours.

I think you're going to end up playing as Zack for lengthy periods switching between him and Cloud like FF8. Possibly with two different Aerith and Cloud's to go along with it.

To answer your question about instalments with a question. Given they flat out lied that this was a remake and their seeming inability to get most of their games out in time, then the need to expand them with spin offs and sequels because the first was both shit and made no sense. If they said it was going to be 2 or 3 parts would you believe them or expect them to actually manage to squeeze it into those parts given they've now added alternate dimensions and time jumps into the mix? feck me that was a long question. :lol:

The vast majority of what they added to this was padding that added nothing really. Some parts worked, but most of it was just filler and some of it actively fecked up the pacing. I think you get told about the plate in chapter 9 then don't get there until several chapters later. One of which is a dragged out run through the sewers that may as well have had the words "RIPPING THE ARSE OUT OF IT!!" written on every wall followed by the train grave yard inexplicably being expanded into a Scooby Doo episode at the wrong time for it. Even the Jessie stuff in her special Avalanche chapter should have been a few lines of dialogue instead of the Roche dead end of nothingness. Neither he, Jessie's dad, Wedge's sore arse nor any of that get brought up again. It could have all been a few lines of dialogue in the bar or slums. Even the stuff they changed about Shinra blowing up their own reactor and Jessie thinking she did it like Avalanche were somehow innocent quietly gets dropped. If you're looking at them expanding stuff like the Gold Saucer and Fort Condor then you have to look at the state of the stuff they used to puff this one up. Roche and that ending is the level of writing you should be thinking about.

When did this writing team last deliver a good coherent story? FF9?

Last edited:

Art Vandelay

I felt deflated too at first and then just angry. I think me and you were possibly the most vocal in recent months in being worried about it in here. How do you feel about it being marketed as an FF7 remake but then turned into whatever this is?

padr81

Supports
Man City
Also didn’t Wedge die when the whispers dragged him out the Shinra building? hard to believe they’d revive him a second time....
For sure, you can hear the glass breaking when the Whispers pick him up. They pushed him down the elevator shaft undoing the work the player did to save him.

padr81

Supports
Man City
I felt deflated too at first and then just angry. I think me and you were possibly the most vocal in recent months in being worried about it in here. How do you feel about it being marketed as an FF7 remake but then turned into whatever this is?
I think it should have been marketed as FF7-2 or FF7(b) or something. It's more a sequel than a remake imho.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Oh crap so I have to go through that chapter again to get it?
Yeah, I think so. I can't remember how far into that chapter it becomes available but I think its pretty far.

Irwin99

Well I guess it did feel like an actual remake up until the Shinra building but it also explains why there is no 'Part 1' attached to the game. This might be the most faithful part of the remake and the next game will be a 'new' FF7 (insert new game title here).

Art Vandelay

I think it should have been marketed as FF7-2 or FF7(b) or something. It's more a sequel than a remake imho.
Yeah I think that's where most of my annoyance is coming from, if they had done that then I'd have stayed well clear and known not to trust modern day Square with it. I think they knew though and were genuinely being dishonest in the marketing. Which is where the reviews are pissing me off. Giving it 9's and 10's seemingly because it for the most part apes a genuinely classic without mentioning it's not what it's marketed as.

I think the lack of outrage and the feeling they just got away with it. That you can just lie and if your game is a big enough name you will be rewarded for it is what's sticking in my throat. It's shit like this that's driving me away from gaming.

Art Vandelay

Well I guess it did feel like an actual remake up until the Shinra building but it also explains why there is no 'Part 1' attached to the game. This might be the most faithful part of the remake and the next game will be a 'new' FF7 (insert new game title here).
I think that makes it more annoying for me "Here's the remake we could make, but nah let's have another go at fate and destiny." As faithful as it was up until that point, the second it becomes about something else and 'new' FF7 they can't call it a remake and that should have been made abundantly clear from the get go. It's just worse knowing they got it so right with no intention of ever following through on that.

They cut it off at the best part of Midgar too. Next game can only be vaguely faithful really or else that ending was for nothing.

Raw

Honestly I think they could quite easily have a part finishing at Aerith's death. A lot of the areas after Midgar in the original are very small. Even the big city of Junon was no way near as big, and I think it had just one boss anyway. Almost half the bosses in Disc 1 were in Midgar anyway.

Of course they could pad these areas out, but they can also easily cut out some of the less important areas. If we assume there will be about 18 chapters in the next part, then give each area after Midgar a chapter then you'd still be left with 1 chapter left. And that's also assuming tiny areas like Kalm, Chocobo Farm or Gongaga get a whole chapter (entirely possible with what we've seen).

But really after that ending who the feck knows. We'll likely get most of the same locations but who knows how they get linked and who knows how many new things they put in.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Yeah I think that's where most of my annoyance is coming from, if they had done that then I'd have stayed well clear and known not to trust modern day Square with it. I think they knew though and were genuinely being dishonest in the marketing. Which is where the reviews are pissing me off. Giving it 9's and 10's seemingly because it for the most part apes a genuinely classic without mentioning it's not what it's marketed as.

I think the lack of outrage and the feeling they just got away with it. That you can just lie and if your game is a big enough name you will be rewarded for it is what's sticking in my throat. It's shit like this that's driving me away from gaming.
For me I really enjoyed it for what it was tbh but yeah the name is deliberately misleading and I think their excuse will the be the game is about the characters remaking the story or some shite. Its certainly not the ff7 I loved growing up. I'm curious to how it goes and I'll stand by my they're going to give everyone the happy ending the original didn't post earlier.

This game is about letting the player undo all the bad shit from ff7. Horrible to think but I'd bet my left testicle saving Aerith is going to be possible or some cop out that like Sephiroth she knows whats coming and will sacrifice herself in some noble bullshit. Its modern SE unfortunately.

That said I'd probably give the game an 8 outta 10, maybe an 8.5 if the sidequests weren't so long and the dungeons pointlessly extended. You can clearly see the new story is a giant feck you to those who wanted a simple remake. All they had to do was look at RE2 and give the people what they want and it could have been great. Now its just a very good rpg losely based on FF7.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Honestly I think they could quite easily have a part finishing at Aerith's death. A lot of the areas after Midgar in the original are very small. Even the big city of Junon was no way near as big, and I think it had just one boss anyway. Almost half the bosses in Disc 1 were in Midgar anyway.

Of course they could pad these areas out, but they can also easily cut out some of the less important areas. If we assume there will be about 18 chapters in the next part, then give each area after Midgar a chapter then you'd still be left with 1 chapter left. And that's also assuming tiny areas like Kalm, Chocobo Farm or Gongaga get a whole chapter (entirely possible with what we've seen).

But really after that ending who the feck knows. We'll likely get most of the same locations but who knows how they get linked and who knows how many new things they put in.
They could legit cut tons of pointless area's from the demo and I'm 100% certain we're not getting a world map. We could well get Kalm Town cut along with Fort Condor and simply have those parts merged to Junon.

Art Vandelay

For me I really enjoyed it for what it was tbh but yeah the name is deliberately misleading and I think their excuse will the be the game is about the characters remaking the story or some shite. Its certainly not the ff7 I loved growing up. I'm curious to how it goes and I'll stand by my they're going to give everyone the happy ending the original didn't post earlier.

This game is about letting the player undo all the bad shit from ff7. Horrible to think but I'd bet my left testicle saving Aerith is going to be possible or some cop out that like Sephiroth she knows whats coming and will sacrifice herself in some noble bullshit. Its modern SE unfortunately.

That said I'd probably give the game an 8 outta 10, maybe an 8.5 if the sidequests weren't so long and the dungeons pointlessly extended. You can clearly see the new story is a giant feck you to those who wanted a simple remake. All they had to do was look at RE2 and give the people what they want and it could have been great. Now its just a very good rpg losely based on FF7.
Yeah, was it you that said they are going for the Disney ending? I think that's where it's going and saving Aerith is going to be a thing. They basically implied the original game is the bad ending, yet the fact there was sacrifice is part of what makes it so good. Maybe even end with happy couples in Zack/Aerith and Cloud/Tifa somehow in different timelines or some such nonsense.

Another clue might be the complete lack of blood, can you imagine Aerith going out that way with realistic graphics and no blood? They copped out in the Barrett scene and Shinra building. It would look mental if he rammed a sword right through her and there was no blood with ultra realistic graphics.

I'd have given it an 8.5 and possibly higher if they got Sephiroth in the Shinra HQ right, up until it fell apart and then I'd take it down to 0 for me personally as it wiped any interest I had in future games and removed all my enjoyment of this one. I genuinely don't trust the people that thought Snow was a good character to write a story that is replacing the FF7 I was promised no less.

Art Vandelay

They could legit cut tons of pointless area's from the demo and I'm 100% certain we're not getting a world map. We could well get Kalm Town cut along with Fort Condor and simply have those parts merged to Junon.
You could roll Kalm, Chocobo Farm and even Fort Condor into one place if you did it right. Make it one larger walled town that starts off sleepy but then is under attack, I think that might be the hardest bit of combining them actually between the sleepiness of Kalm and the action of Fort Condor. Then again Kalm was supposed to be a break to slow it down after the end of Midgar and get some exposition in so it might not need to be such a relaxed place any more.

Biggest issue is power levels. How is the Midgar Zolum a threat now? They all went toe to toe with Sephiroth and lived. Aerith has been repainted as having all this new knowledge and Cloud can cut buildings in half. Scaling them back down for a traditional adventure now isn't going to be easy. Which is another reason I think it's going to switch to Zack for large portions and possibly even end up back in Midgar with him.

They also need to explain Zach and Sephiroth for new players. Because they never bothered when they were busy shitting allover anyone wanting a remake of the original. They are just dudes who are there and one of them can do stuff while having a bit of a fancy for Cloud.

padr81

Supports
Man City
You could roll Kalm, Chocobo Farm and even Fort Condor into one place if you did it right. Make it one larger walled town that starts off sleepy but then is under attack, I think that might be the hardest bit of combining them actually between the sleepiness of Kalm and the action of Fort Condor. Then again Kalm was supposed to be a break to slow it down after the end of Midgar and get some exposition in so it might not need to be such a relaxed place any more.

Biggest issue is power levels. How is the Midgar Zolum a threat now? They all went toe to toe with Sephiroth and lived. Aerith has been repainted as having all this new knowledge and Cloud can cut buildings in half. Scaling them back down for a traditional adventure now isn't going to be easy. Which is another reason I think it's going to switch to Zack for large portions and possibly even end up back in Midgar with him.

They also need to explain Zach and Sephiroth for new players. Because they never bothered when they were busy shitting allover anyone wanting a remake of the original. They are just dudes who are there and one of them can do stuff while having a bit of a fancy for Cloud.

Thats a big issue I have with the ending (I can deal with its a new story, Avengers timeline thing) but Cloud fought like a Super Saiyan and the rest not far behind him. It's like arriving 1/3rd of the way through a fantasy book to realize the hero's are massively overpowered. Given what we saw in that end cutscene, literally nothing bar Sephiroth/Jenova can stand in their way. They went for the Anime thing at the end and it means they are going to have to do serious retconning or game 2 is going to be non-stop Emerald/Ruby Weapons.

Woodzy

I want to play another Final Fantasy now, got that urge.

I'm thinking of playing 10 again, because that blew me away when I was younger.

9 gets rave reviews but I tried it on my Switch last year and just couldn't get into it for some reason.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I think the gaming gods hate me. ordered the physical copy off Amazon back a few weeks ago to save 15 quid. They said it'd be delivered on April 14th, I said feck it, worth the wait. Then when it was dispatched, it revised to April 20th. FIne, I'll wait. But it's saying it's being delievered by Royal Mail (I'm in ireland!) and I've had no tracking updates since it was dispatched last Wednesday! Like at this stage i'm 99% sure they fecked up the order and I'm not getting it on Monday but of course Amazon's response is to wait til Monday and see if it delivers. Which it won't. Waaaah. I wanna plaaaaaaay it.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Yeah, I think so. I can't remember how far into that chapter it becomes available but I think its pretty far.
I can't find in the combat simulator room. And chadley doesn't sell it.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout

9 gets rave reviews but I tried it on my Switch last year and just couldn't get into it for some reason.
Im tempted to revisit 6 when I’m done with this. Will definitely play through the original 7 over the summer aswell.

RedMist99

Stick with IX mate, you won't regret it.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I think you're going to end up playing as Zack for lengthy periods switching between him and Cloud like FF8. Possibly with two different Aerith and Cloud's to go along with it.

To answer your question about instalments with a question. Given they flat out lied that this was a remake and their seeming inability to get most of their games out in time, then the need to expand them with spin offs and sequels because the first was both shit and made no sense. If they said it was going to be 2 or 3 parts would you believe them or expect them to actually manage to squeeze it into those parts given they've now added alternate dimensions and time jumps into the mix? feck me that was a long question. :lol:

The vast majority of what they added to this was padding that added nothing really. Some parts worked, but most of it was just filler and some of it actively fecked up the pacing. I think you get told about the plate in chapter 9 then don't get there until several chapters later. One of which is a dragged out run through the sewers that may as well have had the words "RIPPING THE ARSE OUT OF IT!!" written on every wall followed by the train grave yard inexplicably being expanded into a Scooby Doo episode at the wrong time for it. Even the Jessie stuff in her special Avalanche chapter should have been a few lines of dialogue instead of the Roche dead end of nothingness. Neither he, Jessie's dad, Wedge's sore arse nor any of that get brought up again. It could have all been a few lines of dialogue in the bar or slums. Even the stuff they changed about Shinra blowing up their own reactor and Jessie thinking she did it like Avalanche were somehow innocent quietly gets dropped. If you're looking at them expanding stuff like the Gold Saucer and Fort Condor then you have to look at the state of the stuff they used to puff this one up. Roche and that ending is the level of writing you should be thinking about.

When did this writing team last deliver a good coherent story? FF9?

Yeah. You are probably both right with that. It's so frustrating though as what they could have done with the parts after MIdgar is let you play the flashbacks out. For example when you are given the scenes of Barrett and his back story - that could be a whole chapter where you play the flashback and his mini story. That is the type of stuff I thought we would get when hearing about a remake.

Raw

Yeah. You are probably both right with that. It's so frustrating though as what they could have done with the parts after MIdgar is let you play the flashbacks out. For example when you are given the scenes of Barrett and his back story - that could be a whole chapter where you play the flashback and his mini story. That is the type of stuff I thought we would get when hearing about a remake.
I think what would have worked better is if they had part 1 to go up until Junon and the cargo ship. Remove all the stupid Sephiroth appearances in Midgar and all that needless padding, and keep the mystery of his strength up until you face him on the ship and fight a Jenova boss. Feck, you could even have your showdown with Sephiroth there as a grand finale to part 1 if they were so adamant on including a fight with him. It'd allow a great introduction to what the game is ultimately about, finding Sephiroth and stopping him.

That way you'd still keep that mysterious dread around what Sephiroth actually is and what he's capable of. The whole sequence when following the blood trail (with the escaped lab experiments and dead people scattered around) and discovering the president murdered (instead of witnessing it yourself) could have been done so well. It's so fecking creepy and horrifying in the original, imagine how well they could have done it in a remake?

The whole Kalm flashback could have been a cool chapter too, having Sephiroth in your party for the first half of it. Always thought that was neat in the original when you get to see him kill a strong enemy with ease in a turn based battle. Then the whole thing with finding the Midgar Zolom impaled on a tree, showing how powerful Sephiroth can be. You don't need a silly over the top fight involving him destroying an alternate dimension Midgar and chucking debris at you. There's just no subtlety any more.

Ah I could go on. It's so frustrating thinking about what we could have gotten.

Art Vandelay

Yeah, there was potential there. Even exploring how Tifa got to Midgar and ended up in Avalanche had potential. The Jessie stuff had potential, but even that was kind of side tracked by the need to go bombastic with Roche and the whole factory battle.

Train Graveyard Scooby Doo section could have been good and something to explore, but they placed it between Don Corneo's and the plate coming down so it just gets in the way and feels out of place. Which I know is where it is in the original, but expanded upon here it doesn't work. They could have moved it and explored it more. Where did it even go with the story it was telling?

They opened up a few doorways with the Barrett stuff, Shinra blowing up their own reactor, Jessie's backstory, Wedge's sore arse, Aerith and the ghosts. Then ignored them to rush to an ending that they barely even set up. No explanation of Zach or Sephiroth, they are just there. If they are cutting stuff from later then they could have moved things like Barrett's story to now as dialogue or a playable section. If introducing Sephiroth at the end found a way to bring Cloud and Tifa talking about the incident in Nibelheim to Midgar, but they didn't because they wanted the bait and switch to have maximum effect instead of telling a good story. They chose to dogmatically stick to a story they were never intending to stick to for some bizarre reason. Which does not bode well for what's to come.

It all would have been fine, bar the ending, they got away with the majority of the strange changes because of the FF7 story and characters dragging it along and some of the stuff they added was nice. Most of it didn't matter in the grand scheme of FF7. But the second they said feck FF7 we're writing our story it puts what they added to this story under the microscope and well....Roche. Even the stuff that is there is either poorly paced, poorly placed or just abandoned. An awful lot of it is badly written. Some of it even feels like it's actively done to suggest staying true to the original is holding them back. When even here, people opposed to what they did are suggesting changes that could work. It's not like change was 100% unforgivable.

Which is why I'm not understanding the excitement for change. Some people might want change, but look at the change they've already gotten. Is it on par with FF7? One of them slowly drip fed Sephiroth into the story and let him take over from Shinra by sheer force. He dominates the story from the moment he turns up because it's perfectly paced and he can build from destructive force, the man underneath and finally the monster he's become. Whereas now he's a mincing weirdo that's turned up and hasn't managed to really do any damage to anyone despite being able to lob buildings with no explanation for any of it other than he wants to change destiny. I don't think it's fair for them to want another £60-£120-£180 to see if this pays off and it's only fair to judge the current writing changes. Which are mostly not good writing.

Art Vandelay

I think what would have worked better is if they had part 1 to go up until Junon and the cargo ship. Remove all the stupid Sephiroth appearances in Midgar and all that needless padding, and keep the mystery of his strength up until you face him on the ship and fight a Jenova boss. Feck, you could even have your showdown with Sephiroth there as a grand finale to part 1 if they were so adamant on including a fight with him. It'd allow a great introduction to what the game is ultimately about, finding Sephiroth and stopping him.

That way you'd still keep that mysterious dread around what Sephiroth actually is and what he's capable of. The whole sequence when following the blood trail (with the escaped lab experiments and dead people scattered around) and discovering the president murdered (instead of witnessing it yourself) could have been done so well. It's so fecking creepy and horrifying in the original, imagine how well they could have done it in a remake?

The whole Kalm flashback could have been a cool chapter too, having Sephiroth in your party for the first half of it. Always thought that was neat in the original when you get to see him kill a strong enemy with ease in a turn based battle. Then the whole thing with finding the Midgar Zolom impaled on a tree, showing how powerful Sephiroth can be. You don't need a silly over the top fight involving him destroying an alternate dimension Midgar and chucking debris at you. There's just no subtlety any more.

Agreed. All that could have worked.

They could have made changes too if they were hell bent on finishing it in Midgar. Move the Tifa/Cloud/Sephiroth flashback to earlier maybe even just after they find the president and realise it was Sephiroth's doing or have Tifa start asking questions while in the Shinra cell which causes Cloud to tell her his version of Nibelheim. Although that has pacing issues it's still better than just chucking him in there like he's some sort of building just to be thrown at things. Then you can have them catch up to the Sephiroth clone/Jenova on the road, have some sort of moment there and then fight Jenova as the final boss. Basically bring the Junon ship bit to Midgar and somehow make it look like a man in a black cloak escapes while you're fighting it. It still mostly fits and boom there you have your change which can keep people guessing because you just changed both Midgar and Junon with no need for Kalm any more so no one knows what's next. All it needs is to move the Sephiroth build up earlier, take out the visions and him speaking. There he is and he's back to being a scary badass that barely gives a feck about Cloud at this point. Instead of the mincing weirdo from the future with a boner for Cloud.

They themselves chose to dogmatically stick to the original even when it was detrimental to this story before cutting it off in one hilariously over the top, childish and ham fisted swoop. They wanted ANOTHER story about fate and destiny. Which leaves the question why use FF7 at all instead of making a new game? But we know the answer.

Massive Spanner

oh shit it actually arrived today in the end.

Was all looking forward to playing it this afternoon instead of working until that 1 hour install time came up. Ah well, I can wait a bit longer.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
I think the gaming gods hate me. ordered the physical copy off Amazon back a few weeks ago to save 15 quid. They said it'd be delivered on April 14th, I said feck it, worth the wait. Then when it was dispatched, it revised to April 20th. FIne, I'll wait. But it's saying it's being delievered by Royal Mail (I'm in ireland!) and I've had no tracking updates since it was dispatched last Wednesday! Like at this stage i'm 99% sure they fecked up the order and I'm not getting it on Monday but of course Amazon's response is to wait til Monday and see if it delivers. Which it won't. Waaaah. I wanna plaaaaaaay it.
oh shit it actually arrived today in the end.

Was all looking forward to playing it this afternoon instead of working until that 1 hour install time came up. Ah well, I can wait a bit longer.
Congrats!

padr81

Supports
Man City
I can't find in the combat simulator room. And chadley doesn't sell it.
Edit: Thought you said you couldn't find the combat sim room. Its in there for the final fight.

Massive Spanner

Oh man, the music is so good, that opening intro gave me all the goosebumps. i'm actually shocked at how good this is, I really expected it to be shite :lol:

Raw

Oh man, the music is so good, that opening intro gave me all the goosebumps. i'm actually shocked at how good this is, I really expected it to be shite :lol:
Oh yeah the music is absolutely fantastic. I wouldn't spoil yourself on the tracks that come later because they're so good when you hear them for the first time in the game :drool:

Massive Spanner

Oh yeah the music is absolutely fantastic. I wouldn't spoil yourself on the tracks that come later because they're so good when you hear them for the first time in the game :drool:
I've pretty much avoided all trailers and gameplay so far so even the intro was totally new to me. Glad I did.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout

it seems hilarious to me that a game from 23 years ago can have more subtle and nuanced storytelling (as subtle as a FF game can be) whilst the Remake has to hit you over the head with exposition to get their point across despite having the clear advantages of modern animation and voice acting.