Gaming Final Fantasy VII Remake (PS4, PS5) | Put discussion of chapters etc in labelled spoilers as people will be at different points

Ainu

It does look spectacular and fun. I'm still concerned about what they're going to do with the post-Midgar game (or if it'll ever see the light of day) but I'll just have to put these concerns aside and enjoy this first part for what it is. After the massive disappointment of FFXV (at least for me) I'll take what I can.

Raw

It does look spectacular and fun. I'm still concerned about what they're going to do with the post-Midgar game (or if it'll ever see the light of day) but I'll just have to put these concerns aside and enjoy this first part for what it is. After the massive disappointment of FFXV (at least for me) I'll take what I can.
Yeah I've got the same concerns, especially since they themselves said they're not sure how they're going to do it.

In fairness, a LOT of the areas after Midgar are pretty small so I think they can fit a lot in. Even Junon, quite a huge city, is just like a boss and the marching section. I'm just worried they'll start chopping and changing too much.

SuperiorXI

Yeah I've got the same concerns, especially since they themselves said they're not sure how they're going to do it.

In fairness, a LOT of the areas after Midgar are pretty small so I think they can fit a lot in. Even Junon, quite a huge city, is just like a boss and the marching section. I'm just worried they'll start chopping and changing too much.
By the time they get round to the next part, technology in games would have advanced to the point where they could easily include the scope required.

Just look at how big Witcher 3 was and the supposed upcoming scale of Cyberpunk.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
God I can't wait for this. My issue is I'll have finished the game within a couple of days. I hope we don't have to wait too long for part 2.

Raw

I'm glad the materia system doesn't look much different!
God I can't wait for this. My issue is I'll have finished the game within a couple of days. I hope we don't have to wait too long for part 2.
God it would be a pain if we have to wait another 2+ years for the next part! I feel like since they've pretty much established the gameplay then it wouldn't take too long as all they'd have to do is create the environments. I make it sound like it won't be a huge task but at the very least it's not like they'll be making a whole new game from scratch. Though potentially they'll have to start making them for the PS5 so I'm not sure how that's going to affect things.

I'm expecting 1 year between releases, then a complete collection a bit after that.

Irwin99

Can't wait. I'm playing the original again on PS4 to get me in the mood. I wonder if the 1st part of the remake will end with same final boss on the bridge if that's where they're going to end the first game.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Was watching gameplay (for the first time) of this earlier... It looks so good. Can't wait.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Last edited:

Ainu

I don't mind summons not being available for regular fights but I hope the conditions for their appearance in big fights will be clear and transparant. I wasn't a fan of the vague, seemingly random summons in FFXV. If you were fortunate, they would show up and became pretty much a "you win" mechanic. I hated it.

pacifictheme

They're going to feck this up and the game naff aren't they? All they needed to do was follow in the footsteps of Persona 5 and have a turn based battle system.
Play the original if you want turn based.

There is practically that mode this time, they've just altered it.

Anyone expecting the original with better graphics is deluding themselves. Everything i've seen so far looks great and a mate who has played rhe game says it played really well.

Raw

That's what makes it fun though, brutal overkill.

I think the Knights one shot the final boss too. :lol:
Yeah I mean it'd be nice to have the option but I imagine it would be tough to implement the whole summons battling alongside you thing in certain environments, like a narrow hallway.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
That's what makes it fun though, brutal overkill.

I think the Knights one shot the final boss too. :lol:
Not necessarily, but it's possible.

Code:
TempVar:CharLv99 = GlobalVar:CharLv99
  TempVar:BzHeadDeaths = GlobalVar:BzHeadDeaths
  If (GlobalVar:JenovaKoR == 1) Then
  {
   TempVar:JenovaBonus = 80000
  } Else {
   TempVar:JenovaBonus = 0
 }
  TempVar:Stat = 320000
  TempVar:Stat = TempVar:Stat - 30000 * (8 - TempVar:CharLv99)
  Safer*Sephiroth's Max HP = TempVar:Stat + TempVar:JenovaBonus
In short, it's +80k if you get the Jenova bonus (using KotR against Jenova), +30k per character at level 99 and a 80k base hp. You can reduce his hp by killing the head of Bizarro, but for the sake of argument I'm ignoring reduction to max hp. The minimum hp Safer Sephiroth can have with Bizarro reduction and no bonuses is 55 100hp.

Safer Sephiroth can in other words have 400 000 max hp, with KotR having a max damage of 129 987 damage. A worst-case scenario he can actually tank 3 knights of the round to the face. :keano:

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
Yeah I mean it'd be nice to have the option but I imagine it would be tough to implement the whole summons battling alongside you thing in certain environments, like a narrow hallway.
Oh, it'd be way too much to have impressive looking summons in the new game unless you want to wait another eon for fully destructible environments. :lol:

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
I don't mind summons not being available for regular fights but I hope the conditions for their appearance in big fights will be clear and transparant. I wasn't a fan of the vague, seemingly random summons in FFXV. If you were fortunate, they would show up and became pretty much a "you win" mechanic. I hated it.
And the random appearances from Aranea were weird too. Like, you can be walking around as level 50+, face a couple of level 17 enemies and she randomly comes when there's no need at all.

BlackShark_80

New informations about FF7R:
Weapon Enhancement
By unlocking the abilities of the core materia in weapons, they can be upgraded to increase their power.
—The upgrade screen for Cloud’s Buster Sword. The different options allow you to improve the wielder’s status or increase the number of Materia slots available.

Weapon Abilities
Each weapon has its own unique weapon abilities that increase in proficiency the more they are used. When an ability’s proficiency level reaches the maximum, that ability is then learned by the wielder and can be used when wielding any weapon.

Assess
Materia that allows you to use the “Assess” ability. When you use Assess on an enemy, you can see their resistances and weaknesses, making it easier to defeat them in battle.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Not necessarily, but it's possible.

Code:
TempVar:CharLv99 = GlobalVar:CharLv99
  TempVar:BzHeadDeaths = GlobalVar:BzHeadDeaths
  If (GlobalVar:JenovaKoR == 1) Then
  {
   TempVar:JenovaBonus = 80000
  } Else {
   TempVar:JenovaBonus = 0
}
  TempVar:Stat = 320000
  TempVar:Stat = TempVar:Stat - 30000 * (8 - TempVar:CharLv99)
  Safer*Sephiroth's Max HP = TempVar:Stat + TempVar:JenovaBonus
In short, it's +80k if you get the Jenova bonus (using KotR against Jenova), +30k per character at level 99 and a 80k base hp. You can reduce his hp by killing the head of Bizarro, but for the sake of argument I'm ignoring reduction to max hp. The minimum hp Safer Sephiroth can have with Bizarro reduction and no bonuses is 55 100hp.

Safer Sephiroth can in other words have 400 000 max hp, with KotR having a max damage of 129 987 damage. A worst-case scenario he can actually tank 3 knights of the round to the face. :keano:
w summon plus mime ftw

Art Vandelay

Basically just some guy going through all the new screen shots and geeking out:

I still have serious doubts about it, but the character design is gorgeous and the art is fantastic.

Think I'll wait for the Xbox version so I can play it in 4K HDR.

Rooney1987

Think I'll wait for the Xbox version so I can play it in 4K HDR.
Correct me if I’m wrong and I probably am but isn’t it a timed exclusive for a full year till March 2021 I read. You probably will be able to play on PS5 late next year before it gets released on Xbox.

Art Vandelay

Correct me if I’m wrong and I probably am but isn’t it a timed exclusive for a full year till March 2021 I read. You probably will be able to play on PS5 late next year before it gets released on Xbox.
Probably but that involves buying another console when this gen I've had to replace both consoles at least once and neither console lived up to the pre-release promises. Even that 4K HDR that I'm waiting to play it in was a promise from the original Xbox and PS4 that they didn't deliver until they sold us the upgraded consoles. So I'm not exactly enthused about buying a new console. :lol:

That's all assuming my Xbox One X lasts that long too, I have my doubts.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Probably but that involves buying another console when this gen I've had to replace both consoles at least once and neither console lived up to the pre-release promises. Even that 4K HDR that I'm waiting to play it in was a promise from the original Xbox and PS4 that they didn't deliver until they sold us the upgraded consoles. So I'm not exactly enthused about buying a new console. :lol:

That's all assuming my Xbox One X lasts that long too, I have my doubts.
Do you live in a war zone?

Raw

Someone's uploaded footage of the entire demo, it looks pretty damn good (although the person playing it is shit at the game).

Irwin99

Pre ordered this on Amazon. Please be good.

I still think Kalm would have been a great place to end part 1. It would have set up the search for Sephiroth nicely rather than forcing him into more scenes in Midgar in the remake.

Raw

Demo got datamined and they've left in a lot of screen captures from the rest of the game. They have also left in a lot of music and it is absolutely fantastic :drool:

There seems to be a jukebox (probably in Tifa's bar) that plays a lot of remixed music from all FF games.

Irwin99

Demo got datamined and they've left in a lot of screen captures from the rest of the game. They have also left in a lot of music and it is absolutely fantastic :drool:

There seems to be a jukebox (probably in Tifa's bar) that plays a lot of remixed music from all FF games.
I’ve heard about some of the datamine and ...I’m not sure about some of the changes. I can see why they did it but I don’t know, we’ll see.

Art Vandelay

I’ve heard about some of the datamine and ...I’m not sure about some of the changes. I can see why they did it but I don’t know, we’ll see.
What specifically have you heard? I've seen the leaked pictures and I'm not thrilled with some of it.

The Don Corneo scenes look...interesting.

Irwin99

What specifically have you heard? I've seen the leaked pictures and I'm not thrilled with some of it.

The Don Corneo scenes look...interesting.
the scene where it’s revealed that the avalanche bomb is a dud and it’s Shinra that blows up the reactor. Also having sep/jenova as the last boss which I guess is a good move in some ways as it sets up the rest of the game

PS Don't read if you don't want to know. Avoiding spoilers is gonna be tough enough as it is.

Last edited: