Gaming Final Fantasy XVI (PS5)

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I only ever really played FFX and part of VII. Why are they British?

Also Clive Rosfield sounds like someone who would send me banal emails at work.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
You should definitely give the FF7 Remake a try.
Also I played the demo and didn't really like it. The constant having to switch between characters only works for me if it's turn based like previous games. Can't be arsed with the chaos when it's basically real time.

Ainu

I'm almost certain I'm going to hate everything about this game, judging by that trailer. It seems to continue the trend of all style and no substance. I couldn't stand XV and VII R's combat and late-game nonsense left me cold as well. I think this will be the game where I finally give up on this series.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Looks absolute wank sadly. :( If they want to make future games non-turn based then the best form of that would be to go the one of FF12. I did like the FF7 Remake combat a little but the story upheld that a lot.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Square Enix is supposedly banking on this being a success, their financial state seems to be less than great at the moment.

Irwin99

Square Enix is supposedly banking on this being a success, their financial state seems to be less than great at the moment.
I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that FF 14 is saving them and has done for a few years now. The success of that game has overshadowed some pretty dire flops. FF7R and 14 are their money makers and let's hope this one does well.

Probably being too negative here but I don't see Forspoken being a hit either and could be another big loss for them.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Does anyone else not like the look of modern games? I'm sure the particle effects and whatnot are impressive but there's no much shite on the screen nowadays that it's nearly impossible to see any single thing in particular. Soulcalibur has the same problem. It's just a mess of bright flashing colours and lens flare.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that FF 14 is saving them and has done for a few years now. The success of that game has overshadowed some pretty dire flops. FF7R and 14 are their money makers and let's hope this one does well.

Probably being too negative here but I don't see Forspoken being a hit either and could be another big loss for them.
Yeah, their management has been rather erratic to say the least, I like to see them do well, would be a shame to see them go down a terrible shame.

Agree with your take on forspoken , although I really like the look of it doesn't have the look of a big financial hit.

On a side note have you played ff14? Is it any good, I've considering trying it out but I don't really have the time to deal with the usual grinding aspects of your average mmos.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Does anyone else not like the look of modern games? I'm sure the particle effects and whatnot are impressive but there's no much shite on the screen nowadays that it's nearly impossible to see any single thing in particular. Soulcalibur has the same problem. It's just a mess of bright flashing colours and lens flare.
Depends on the game but I get where you're coming from, many games look the same due to the decline of in-house engine use , plus I think we've hit that uncanny Valley of graphical process and it's hard to shake off so a lot of games have lost their charm.

It's not all bad though, certainly not as bad as the bloom overload and green yellow filters of late 2000s early 2010s.

The effects overload is just the developers being trigger happy with the new tech, it'll get better when the novelty wears off and they'll show some restraint.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Depends on the game but I get where you're coming from, many games look the same due to the decline of in-house engine use , plus I think we've hit that uncanny Valley of graphical process and it's hard to shake off so a lot of games have lost their charm.

It's not all bad though, certainly not as bad as the bloom overload and green yellow filters of late 2000s early 2010s.

The effects overload is just the developers being trigger happy with the new tech, it'll get better when the novelty wears off and they'll show some restraint.
True enough, it's just annoying and often hides some great animations. In that last trailer there's a bit where it looks like someone grows wings and spikes through their body, but it's covered up with so much blue and yellow glowing shite and flames just blasting out of nowhere that I just think "what's the point in art direction anymore?"

And then during the fights the screen is covered in so much, including that annoyingly large attack damage stat, that I just wonder how you're even meant to see what you're doing.

Irwin99

Yeah, their management has been rather erratic to say the least, I like to see them do well, would be a shame to see them go down a terrible shame.

Agree with your take on forspoken , although I really like the look of it doesn't have the look of a big financial hit.

On a side note have you played ff14? Is it any good, I've considering trying it out but I don't really have the time to deal with the usual grinding aspects of your average mmos.
I actually have the plat for it despite not liking MMO's :lol: I try to plat every mainline FF just as a challenge but it's a decent enough experience and you can tell there's a huge amount of love put into it. Even as someone who doesn't like MMOs I still had fun. The story gets better with each expansion and the grinding aspect is mitigated by that I think.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
True enough, it's just annoying and often hides some great animations. In that last trailer there's a bit where it looks like someone grows wings and spikes through their body, but it's covered up with so much blue and yellow glowing shite and flames just blasting out of nowhere that I just think "what's the point in art direction anymore?"

And then during the fights the screen is covered in so much, including that annoyingly large attack damage stat, that I just wonder how you're even meant to see what you're doing.
Perhaps their trying to emulate the look of clasic action packed anime that's so iconic but I digress, it often times has a detrimental effect on gamplay as well , some games allow you to turn it off but others that don't , well you just gotta hope the developer's come to their senses and reduce some of the excess when the novelty wears off.

Some of the new games seem to be taking a more balanced approach, the new tekken game (at least judging from the trailer) has taken a more restraint approach on that regard so let's hope it's going to become the norm.
I actually have the plat for it despite not liking MMO's :lol: I try to plat every mainline FF just as a challenge but it's a decent enough experience and you can tell there's a huge amount of love put into it. Even as someone who doesn't like MMOs I still had fun. The story gets better with each expansion and the grinding aspect is mitigated by that I think.
Thanks, the amount ofblove put into it is certainly evident, I hope it keeper them on their feet for long encounter so they could regain their balance.

The prospect of a continuing and developing ff campaign is certainly enticing, I think I'll take cursory look over it.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Looks absolute wank sadly. :( If they want to make future games non-turn based then the best form of that would be to go the one of FF12. I did like the FF7 Remake combat a little but the story upheld that a lot.
Still not sold on the combat at all but the new trailer makes the world look absolutely gorgeous.

Bosws87

World looks impressive, how linear and how much extra will there to do outside of the main questline would be my first question.

Ever since we reached a point of these glorious visuals the series has gone downhill.

Ainu

I don't have a lot of faith in Square-Enix these days, so we shouldn't get too carried away, but I have to admit it looks very promising. S-E haven't done a lot right in the last, I don't know, 15 years or so, but one of the rare success stories has to be Yoshi-P's impact on FFXIV. Never played it, but the guy seems to be highly respected in the community.

So the fact that he has been so transparent about this game indicates to me that he's very confident he's got something special on his hands here. We'll see how it turns out and if someone at S-E manages to find a way to screw this up (monetization and/or NFTs anyone?), but I'm getting quietly optimistic that this will be the best FF since XII. Perhaps not a high bar, some might argue, but it's something.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
25 minutes of new gameplay. I am actually liking the look of this more and more.
Ever since the Remake (actually maybe since XIII) all I can think about with these games is that Michael Bay South Park scene.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Demo reviews looking good. I was going to play but think I will hold off until the full game release.

Ainu

Ah shit, forgot there was a separate thread for this, I would've posted my demo impressions in here instead of the PS5 thread.

Demo reviews looking good. I was going to play but think I will hold off until the full game release.
The first part of the demo is the opening of the game and creates a save you can pick up from in the final product, so I'd still recommend checking that out. Unless you've already pre-ordered, in which case it doesn't matter I guess.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Ah shit, forgot there was a separate thread for this, I would've posted my demo impressions in here instead of the PS5 thread.

The first part of the demo is the opening of the game and creates a save you can pick up from in the final product, so I'd still recommend checking that out. Unless you've already pre-ordered, in which case it doesn't matter I guess.
Yeah, I've pre-ordered and don't think I can deal with the wait. I can pick up another game in the meantime in my catalogue and try platinum it before this releases!

siw2007

Just beat the demo. Absolutely blown away, didn’t expect it to be that good. Fingers crossed the rest of the game follows suit, really looking forward to next week now. Only thing they need to ensure is that the combat doesn’t get too repetitive.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Just beat the demo. Absolutely blown away, didn’t expect it to be that good. Fingers crossed the rest of the game follows suit, really looking forward to next week now. Only thing they need to ensure is that the combat doesn’t get too repetitive.
Hearing quite a lot of people with this opinion. Can't wait personally. I love the look and atmosphere of everything i've seen.