Gaming Final Fantasy XVI (PS5)

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I haven't played it but it seems to be an overwhelmingly positive reception. The fact that they were happy to release such a lengthy demo certainly bodes well and they must be confident. I'll wait for reviews but it might be a day one for me.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
The only bad thing seems to be the drops in graphics which is likely fixable before release or through setting options.

lilcurt

Played the demo last night and as a massive Final Fantasy fan I have somewhat mixed feeling.

As a game, it seems like it will be great. An engaging story with good characters and potentially interesting combat system.

As a Final Fantasy fan I feel like the series is now somewhat unrecognisable. It more of an action game closer to God of War than typical Final Fantasy, and not having a party of characters removes something I thought was sacred to the series.

I will play through and reserve full judgement until then but I can't help but feel it's somewhat sad how Square-Enix have had to move away from what made the series great to appeal to a wider audience and appease shareholders.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Played the demo last night and as a massive Final Fantasy fan I have somewhat mixed feeling.

As a game, it seems like it will be great. An engaging story with good characters and potentially interesting combat system.

As a Final Fantasy fan I feel like the series is now somewhat unrecognisable. It more of an action game closer to God of War than typical Final Fantasy, and not having a party of characters removes something I thought was sacred to the series.

I will play through and reserve full judgement until then but I can't help but feel it's somewhat sad how Square-Enix have had to move away from what made the series great to appeal to a wider audience and appease shareholders.
Lovely. FF has never been my jam so I’m happy with this new direction.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton

Feels like new games will take different angles and they will feed classic fans by doing remakes. There is a FF9 remake in the works aswell as the FF7 stuff.

Ainu

I find it strange that a lot of people suddenly seem more concerned with the idea that they're moving away from what the series once was, than they are with the fact that the last few numbered single-player entries (excluding remake) were total garbage, i.e. FF13 and 15. This one seems like it might actually be a good game for a change, surely that's more important.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I find it strange that a lot of people suddenly seem more concerned with the idea that they're moving away from what the series once was, than they are with the fact that the last few numbered single-player entries (excluding remake) were total garbage, i.e. FF13 and 15. This one seems like it might actually be a good game for a change, surely that's more important.
I agree, they've changed things a few times and still made good games like 12 etc., they've had a bad run but the way they did the remake and the way this one looks seems like a good future model for them and taps into modern gaming.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
You're right, it's been 17 years since the last arguably proper single-player FF game. This is what they are but it looks like they've worked out some of those problems with this new one.

Last edited:

BalanceUnAutreJoint

The series has always re-invented itself. I'm not bothered by the focus on one main character this time around, it's not like it means XVII can't have a party, FFVII remake already proved you can make party members work with actiong rpg gameplay.

As for the demo it was a 9/10 to me, the only thing that stops me from rating it 10/10 is the motion blur whenever you turn your camera outside battle, it's hurting my eyes and I really wish we'll be able to turn it off in the full game.

Massive Spanner

I’d love a turn based Final Fantasy but it just won’t happen, even the remakes aren’t turn based. It’s sad but Square Enix obviously think they will sell more with these action RPGs with is fair enough. Thing is the Switch has such a stranglehold on the Japan market that I imagine JRPG sales on Sony consoles are nowhere near what they used to be.

That said there’s clearly still a market with the success of games like Persona and Octopath but obviously not enough of a market for them to be worth a FF game going turn based.

lilcurt

Feels like new games will take different angles and they will feed classic fans by doing remakes. There is a FF9 remake in the works aswell as the FF7 stuff.
While you are right of course it's also a sad that classic fans are only served with remakes...

Like I said I'll still play this and hopefully love it.

BristolRuss

Some people already have copies so be careful of spoilers out there. Performance in the final game is the same as the demo with the 'performance' mode being very unstable, so consider the 30fps mode if you want consistency.

Massive Spanner

Some people already have copies so be careful of spoilers out there. Performance in the final game is the same as the demo with the 'performance' mode being very unstable, so consider the 30fps mode if you want consistency.
So much for them spending a year optimising it :lol:

pacifictheme

That's how I played the demo and I thought it looked great.

pacifictheme

While you are right of course it's also a sad that classic fans are only served with remakes...

Like I said I'll still play this and hopefully love it.
If you need turn based gameplay octopath traveller 2 came out this year and for me it's up there with the best 2d final fantasy games. Square has always used ff to innovate, it's rarely stood still.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Hoping my pre-order comes a bit early...I'm busy all next weekend so won't be able to play it post actual release date!

Ainu

That's very disappointing to read, especially considering they're not doing a day one patch. Not good enough.

Drawfull

It's been available for months but I didn't know; you can make TZA better by making it the same as XII OG with the remaster gfx on PC.

Enough nostalgia for the better games, I thought this demo played really well apart from the shocking performance. Am hyped, and I hate the direction FF is going / has gone in.

Irwin99

Wonder if I ordered this online would i receive my copy a day earlier than release? Always slightly jealous of people that this happens to.

Get the feeling this will be a plot with a lot of spoilers.

That's Clive's stepmother I think and not his real mother. Maybe he and Joshua are half-brothers? The mother character is a horrible wretched person that i think could be a really good character and we're all going to enjoy hating.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout

Epic trailer is epic. That soundtrack :drool:

Upto the third part of the first chapter on the demo, amazingly strong start. Already feel so invested in so many of the characters.

Day 1 for me this, have a feeling it’s going to be the best mainline FF entry in a long time.

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
Think I'm day oneing this! Ive only played a snippet of the demo but I'm loving the whole "summons are now guardians of nations" thingy they got going on and I loving the overall vibe of it. First FF mainline game I'll buy since FF X.

Bosws87

Nothing would make me happier than a return to form for final fantasy.

6,7,9,10 are still some of the greatest games I’ve played and would go back to them over 99% of releases today, fingers crossed.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Never been into these but the demo is pretty good! Some cringe dialogue but I like the setting and the magic etc.

TrustInOle

Epic trailer is epic. That soundtrack :drool:

Upto the third part of the first chapter on the demo, amazingly strong start. Already feel so invested in so many of the characters.

Day 1 for me this, have a feeling it’s going to be the best mainline FF entry in a long time.
Kept myself in a media blackout for thus since demo release, everything up until then give me confidence we are going to be in for a treat.

Other than Remake, been underwhelmed with most recent releases, specifically 13'1/2/3 and 15, didn't mind 12 but it was mainly the combat system that won me over with that.

Very high hopes, how've you found the demo so far, spoiler free obviously haha.

Semper Fudge

Adds nothing to the discussion
FWIW: the development team are aware of the issues with the framerate and are working on updates to improve performance, along with potentially adding an option for you to reduce/turn off motion blur.

They're also looking at offering more controller layouts.

Irwin99

Nothing would make me happier than a return to form for final fantasy.

6,7,9,10 are still some of the greatest games I’ve played and would go back to them over 99% of releases today, fingers crossed.
You forgot the number 8 ;)

Looking forward to this. The framerate and motion blur thing feels a bit strange since the game has been complete for over a year and they've been fine-tuning it since.

Semper Fudge

Looking forward to this. The framerate and motion blur thing feels a bit strange since the game has been complete for over a year and they've been fine-tuning it since.
Yoshida's team have always been very good at addressing issues the community have with XIV so it doesn't surprise me that he's taking the feedback seriously.

Irwin99

Yoshida's team have always been very good at addressing issues the community have with XIV so it doesn't surprise me that he's taking the feedback seriously.
Yeah I have been quite impressed with the way he's spoken about the franchise even though i'm not a massive FF XIV fan. He seems like someone who genuinely does have creativity, vision and actually cares about how his work is perceived.

Semper Fudge

The game has been leaked so do be careful if you're worried about spoilers.

Bosws87

Accidental of course the draw system was wonderful! :nervous: (My square button would thank me)

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Considering you've changed the title and added "Critical Acclaim" despite there being no reviews yet I'm not surprised you're so confident.

This is Alock's alt account, just to clarify.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
This subject seems to be jumping the gun!

I hope it gets great reviews. I can see technical issues but I think they’ll solve those soon enough.