Finally...The RedCafe Top 50 Video Games Of All Time - Brought to you by Duffy, not Duffer

Which countdown should we do next?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Revan

Assumptionman
Yep, great stuff.

I've never even heard of KOTOR being among the greatest games of all time. I guess we've got a lot of Star Wars nerds on here.
It is widely recognized as one of the best Western RPG games (not the best though, usually Baldur's Gate 2 is considered the best one) and something like on low end of top 10 RPG. On a combined list from all genres and all platforms I think that it would be somewhere like on Top 30 - Top 50.

I wasn't expecting it to be on top 5 - top 10 here.

Duffy

Who needs races when you're racist?
Most voted game was Goldeneye with 31 votes. Out of about 1770 votes cast, that's about 1.7% of all votes, which is pretty impressive if you think about it. Kinda.

Ralaks

Do you have an list with the entire ranking? like in a google doc, would be fun to see..

Revan

Assumptionman
There are more to games than gameplay. While that's very important, writting is important too. And seriously Torment has a much better writting than any other game (it's script has 800000 words), so for that alone is a must play for anyone who likes games that have stories.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
There are more to games than gameplay. While that's very important, writting is important too. And seriously Torment has a much better writting than any other game (it's script has 800000 words), so for that alone is a must play for anyone who likes games that have stories.
I'm personally not really bothered by the whole writing side, if it's fun to play, that's enough for me.

But still, if it has good writing, and you enjoy games with good writing, then that's cool.

Duffy

Do you have an list with the entire ranking? like in a google doc, would be fun to see..
I'll have to tidy it up a bit before posting but yeah got it #1 to #592

TBF, you get a certain amount into it and a lot of games have similar numbers of votes and are only listed alphabetically, there's no way of definitively separating them really..

Donut

No Dark Souls? I thought it was getting quite a lot of votes, and was generally high on the lists.

Revan

Assumptionman
I'm personally not really bothered by the whole writing side, if it's fun to play, that's enough for me.

But still, if it has good writing, and you enjoy games with good writing, then that's cool.
Yeah, think about Planescape as an interactive novel rather than a game. I loved To The Moon (which while is only 4 hours long almost made my top 20) and it doesn't have gameplay at all for example. Planescape is basically a giant To The Moon with some gameplay that even for his time wasn't as great as the likes of Baldur's Gate 2.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert

From a quick Google, it seems like it practically doesn't need gameplay, as you can get out of almost every situation by talking.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
I can appreciate games for their story, they can take them to another level, but I can't play if the gameplay mechanics are broken/awful.

Some flaws or compromises, sure, but if it's simply 'shit' like you said then I'm not sure...

So, Revan, has this given you enough incentive to go and play some Zelda?

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
Yeah, it was the art that made pick Majora's Mask ahead of Ocarina of Time.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout
Yeah, think about Planescape as an interactive novel rather than a game. I loved To The Moon (which while is only 4 hours long almost made my top 20) and it doesn't have gameplay at all for example. Planescape is basically a giant To The Moon with some gameplay that even for his time wasn't as great as the likes of Baldur's Gate 2.
From a quick Google, it seems like it practically doesn't need gameplay, as you can get out of almost every situation by talking.
Yeah, I don't think it's for me really. If Mass Effect bored me I dread to think how I'd find this one :lol:

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Yeah, it was the art that made pick Majora's Mask ahead of Ocarina of Time.
to be honest I think Majoras Mask has a better story too, lots of characters with depth and very sad at times.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
Yeah, I don't think it's for me really. If Mass Effect bored me I dread to think how I'd find this one :lol:
I'm not sure what to think, it does sound like it could be really interesting, in a Broken Sword kinda way, but it also sounds like I could get bored/annoyed after a while.

Revan

Assumptionman
I think that there are only a few situations when you have to fight (and IIRC only one of them is a boss fight). You get the best ending by doing talking with the final boss (assuming that you have high wisdom/charisma/intelligence stats) while if you fight with him you finish the game but you get a very bad ending.

I can appreciate games for their story, they can take them to another level, but I can't play if the gameplay mechanics are broken/awful.

Some flaws or compromises, sure, but if it's simply 'shit' like you said then I'm not sure...

So, Revan, has this given you enough incentive to go and play some Zelda?
Was planning, though now I don't own any Nintendo. Was thinking to emulate them on my PC. Do I need to have a joystick for that or you think that I can manage fine only with keyboard?

Alock1

It is the best kart racer, and though I love Mario Kart, I'd probably have Sonic All Stars above them too.
I think I'd agree. All Stars & Transformed are fantastic.

It's a shame that the sequels were so shit to CTR. Nitro Kart was poor and I don't think I even bothered with tag-team racing or whatever it was called.

Still, it had the perfect balance. The tracks were inventive and fun, the weapons weren't OP/UP, skill played a massive part (power sliding!), no ridiculous rubber banding and a great adventure mode with a shit load of content.

The only thing left to be desired was the character roster.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
I think that there are only a few situations when you have to fight (and IIRC only one of them is a boss fight). You get the best ending by doing talking with the final boss (assuming that you have high wisdom/charisma/intelligence stats) while if you fight with him you finish the game but you get a very bad ending.

Was planning, though now I don't own any Nintendo. Was thinking to emulate them on my PC. Do I need to have a joystick for that or you think that I can manage fine only with keyboard?
I tried OoT with a keyboard once, bugged the crap out of me.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
I think I'd agree. All Stars & Transformed are fantastic.

It's a shame that the sequels were so shit to CTR. Nitro Kart was poor and I don't think I even bothered with tag-team racing or whatever it was called.

Still, it had the perfect balance. The tracks were inventive and fun, the weapons weren't OP/UP, skill played a massive part (power sliding!), no ridiculous rubber banding and a great adventure mode with a shit load of content.

The only thing left to be desired was the character roster.
Actually, it was Transformed I was thinking of, I've not played the first.

nimic

something nice
Scout
The Last of Us third best game of all time? That's... insanity.

Also, no C&C games. I hate each and every one of you. Except Duffer.

And partially Cina.

Duffy

The Last of Us third best game of all time? That's... insanity.

Also, no C&C games. I hate each and every one of you. Except Duffer.

And partially Cina.
Thanks guy, I like you too...if you meant me...if you meant @duffer you are banned from voting in any further threads :lol:

Alock1

Erm... why isn't the nominations thread for the next one up already?

Lazy.

Alock1

So the next one is going to be films?

Make your own Olly; top 10 platformers, top 10 nintendo games, top 10 nintendo employes, top 10 girls from your high school, top 10 father ted gifs, top 10 consoles

Duffy

Make your own Olly; top 10 platformers, top 10 nintendo games, top 10 nintendo employes, top 10 girls from your high school, top 10 father ted gifs, top 10 consoles
Can we make this a top 100?

Revan

Assumptionman
It's gonna be great. Judging by how those lists went so far Transformers will probably win and we will have mass suicides.
I need to start my lobbying from now. The only problem is that I am not sure if I should choose The Matrix or Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back.

Cedric

Back in the newbies for reeducation
So yeah Zelda. The only one I ever played was phantom hourglass and it was pretty shit. Having to go back to the same boring dungeon time and time again, who thought that this would be a good idea? I think I gave up about half way through it.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
I need to start my lobbying from now. The only problem is that I am not sure if I should choose The Matrix or Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back.
Empire is the greatest film of all time to be fair.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout
That could be cool, but Duffy's the list guy, I don't want to make it seem like I was trying to steal his thunder/cool idea.

That's how I feel too :lol:.

I like movies but I couldn't make a top 20/50.
Yep, me too.

You don't like movies?
Yeah they're great. But I just find discussions about them so boring, and it impossible to put any in any kind of order. Plus, 99% of the films I like aren't the usual "big" ones, so even trying to come up with a list is pointless for me.

It's gonna be great. Judging by how those lists went so far Transformers will probably win and we will have mass suicides.
:(