First ever sub 2 hour Marathon

diarm

Incredible. I struggle to process how this is possible - it just doesn't compute with how hard I had to work to run 10k in under an hour!

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Have a word with yourself

Better than putting man on the moon?
Better than all the medical developments
Etc etc
Just to clarify. What I was referring to was what a human being is personally capable of doing itself.
Absolutely agree with the moon landing which was at that time outstanding and becomes even more outstanding as the years go by.

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
Have a word with yourself

Better than putting man on the moon?
Better than all the medical developments
Etc etc
Moon landing was just weird flex. All it used was Newtonian physics.

This to me is just incredible.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I don't know anything about running or marathons. What was the previous best time or what's a normal winning time?
It’s hard to compare because the pacing and shoes make it quite artificial compared to a normal city marathon race where Kipchoge and Bekele’s best times are 2 minutes slower. Might lead to a ban on the shoes if we see a swimming-esque jump in performance across the board in track.

zing

Zingle balls
It’s hard to compare because the pacing and shoes make it quite artificial compared to a normal city marathon race where Kipchoge and Bekele’s best times are 2 minutes slower. Might lead to a ban on the shoes if we see a swimming-esque jump in performance across the board in track.
what would be the rationale for such a ban? I recall in Beijing 08 or London 2012, there were a crazy number of records and the FINA banned the new swimsuit - but how can you do something like that? If you're banning one, by inductive reasoning, you could literally ban all the technological advancement preceding that..

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
what would be the rationale for such a ban? I recall in Beijing 08 or London 2012, there were a crazy number of records and the FINA banned the new swimsuit - but how can you do something like that? If you're banning one, by inductive reasoning, you could literally ban all the technological advancement preceding that..
It’s difficult territory. But all the track records had the fat chewed off decades ago from advances in technology. Now almost all records have plateaud. Any jump due to technology distorts the field and may create a pre and post list, which undermines the point of the standardised world records in the first place.

LARulz

Post run conference. He's great, good sense of humour

VP

The more I think about it the more ridiculous it seems.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Simply Incredible. Easily on par with the 4 minute mile barrier getting smashed by Bannister.

Also, pretty amazing to see all the science that goes into shaving a mere second off each of the 26 miles.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
I'm not into running at all but I'm in awe at what he's done. The speed he ran at for 2 consecutive hours is phenomenal.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I'm not into running at all but I'm in awe at what he's done. The speed he ran at for 2 consecutive hours is phenomenal.

Absolutely amazing. The guy ran at a pace of what most people consider a full on sprint, for 26.2 miles. Can't really get my head around this.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Radcliffe’s record was broken by a minute today too.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
So did he have other runners switching in and out to give him a slipstream?

I mean, don't get me wrong it's absolutely phenomenal what he's done, but it's definitely at least somewhat artificial and it's understandable why it won't stand as a recognised world record.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
Of course it‘s totally artificial.
But People Love to Fall for Nike Adverts. Is all that was.

CallyRed

It was heavily assisted, but not anyone could have kept up to the splits other than Kipchoge.

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
Absolutely amazing. The guy ran at a pace of what most people consider a full on sprint, for 26.2 miles. Can't really get my head around this.
When I saw how fast he was actually running, which is full pace for most people Id imagine, thats when I was taken aback.

It just doesnt seem possible that a human can run that fast for so long.

Its hard to wrap my brain around the pace he kept for two hours. :houllier:

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
Of course it‘s totally artificial.
But People Love to Fall for Nike Adverts. Is all that was.
It is artificial except for the fact he covered 26.2 miles in under 2 hours.

And as for people falling for Nike adverts, it wasn't organised by Nike, so not sure what point you are trying to make.

SirAF

Ageist

And as for people falling for Nike adverts, it wasn't organised by Nike, so not sure what point you are trying to make.
Meh, some think it’s cool to shit on big brands.

Despite being a stunt of some sort it quite clearly was a magnificent feat that you have to admire unless you’ve never ran a mile in your life.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers

Quite agree with you.

Brophs

The One and Only

I like the inadvertence of some bloke called swooshboy defending Nike. I can't imagine you planned it this way when you signed up 15 long years ago.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
When I saw how fast he was actually running, which is full pace for most people Id imagine, thats when I was taken aback.

It just doesnt seem possible that a human can run that fast for so long.

Its hard to wrap my brain around the pace he kept for two hours. :houllier:
It's insane. I'd be out of breath in 2 minutes. :lol:

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
I like the inadvertence of some bloke called swooshboy defending Nike. I can't imagine you planned it this way when you signed up 15 long years ago.
I chose the name because I worked for Nike for 12 years, got the tattoo and still wouldn’t wear competitor brands.

So I may not have planned it as such, but it’s not exactly surprising :)

Edit - You’re right about the 15 years being long!

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Literally every elite runner or athlete in the world is suspect
So you don't believe in innocent until proven guilty.
Look. I do understand the point you are making and I am not trying to get a cheap shot.
But we have to believe that when an athlete or any professional sportsmen/women are routinely tested and no issues are identified then they should get the benefit of the doubt and be accepted as clean. Particularly such a high profile person.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea

Yeah, I'm sure a quick search would reveal that Nike did not have anything to do with this project ;-)

It's basically a sponsor's playground where they determine which project will generate the most audience, is all. That's what they want to here from you: callling it fantastic, applaud it, understand that it's special... So in that sense, you are doing a great job.

stepic

in addition to the pacesetters (who reduced Kipchoge's wind resistance) a pace car used lasers to indicate the best running paths for those pacesetters to take, and the race course was essentially flat. definitely doesn't deserve to be a world record. still a hell of an effort but it's definitely an artificially created achievement.