Florentino Pérez: The saviour of football.

arnie_ni

Firstly Ronaldo would have gone there for less salary probably such was his desire to play in a warmer climate in a latin culture similar to what he grew up in,

Secondly it wasn't Madrid that started paying players 600,000 a week first. I think you'd probably have to go back to when PSG signed Neymar as the moment suddenly the going rate for the worlds top players doubled overnight. going from maybe 300,000 a week to 600,000, because once Neymar is on that kind of money, then the worlds top 10 players want equal parity immediately. Maybe there's plans for a salary cap in the new super league, and maybe that's another reason why PSG haven't been invited. I think this new league could be a way from the big clubs to try to stop sugar daddy clubs like PSG from completely taking over and dominating due to unlimited resources.
Then why are City asked?

We need an rvn

Still can't understand how Tottenham have become a part of a super-anything
If you look at the supposed "most valuable clubs according to Forbes", you answer lies in who make up the top 15 clubs and just how many of those are the new founding fathers of the saviour of football.

It's simply all to do with value of the club at this point in time, are your owners billionaires or not - nothing to do with how many leagues you won in the 70s etc. If this were done 20 years ago, you'd have the likes of Leeds and Blackburn in that list instead with Chelsea nowhere to be seen.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Perez has won me over. I simply didn't realize how much he was doing for all of us. The world could do with more of this selflessness right now.
And let's be honest, it is not their fault that these clubs have such financial issues! They overspent, overpaid only for the good of football, for the fans!

ZupZup

Perez is a scumbag and largely the driving force behind this. He’s ran his own club into financial difficulties and this is his way of digging them out of a deep hole of his own making.

The fact that the English clubs have gone along with it is madness. How Perez can be trusted as a chairman of a new league is utterly bonkers.

Siorac

Perez has won me over. I simply didn't realize how much he was doing for all of us. The world could do with more of this selflessness right now.
I'm sure he'll even cure COVID-19 entirely if we just give him time.

The Purley King

Perez is a scumbag and largely the driving force behind this. He’s ran his own club into financial difficulties and this is his way of digging them out of a deep hole of his own making.

The fact that the English clubs have gone along with it is madness. How Perez can be trusted as a chairman of a new league is utterly bonkers.
Real Madrid and Barca are fecked financially, that is the only part of that interview he got remotely correct.

Saving football? Saving his own worthless hide. GFY Perez.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
In before Perez turns the 90 min game into 4 quarters to increase that sweet ad revenue.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout

It's mental.

Who the feck makes a league and then puts Perez as chairman, and Joel sodding Glazer as vice-chiarmen?!

Morons, thats who.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Perez probably wants to be seen as a visionary. Talks about shorter game, futuristic stadium and the founding leader of a new European tournament is probably what he wants as his legacy. The fact that he wants to count 13 European trophy as ESL tells me he sees this tournament as the continuation of the premium European Cup. While Real and Barca still has sporting motivation, the PL club owners are just there for the money.
Both Real and Barca are owned by Socios whose ultimate drive is sporting glory. The EPL clubs with the exception of Chelsea and City are owned by Yanks solely driven by profit.
We are never going to win this Superleague.

spiriticon

I have a great idea, why don't the two of you breakoff and have the Spanish Super League and play each other 38 times a season.

Top 2 gets into a 2 legged playoff for the title.

sourdough satellite

They're not. This is being driven by the Glazers, Kroenke, Henry and Perez. The former 3 are purely interested in the ESL for the large dividends they can draw down from the vast amounts of money it will make. I suspect that they have a grander and even more lucrative long term vision here too. Real Madrid have got into massive debt to keep up with the market that's been massively inflated by the oil clubs. Real's is more a play of desperation and an attempt to take back power from the new money in the game. City are joining because they don't want to be left behind. They are not a premium brand in football so have little choice when the traditional powers are going this way.
I foresee a 20-30 team NFL-style league where only clubs with sufficient clout (read: 9 figure yearly incomes) and billionaire owners are allowed in.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
The guy who invented the Galacticos concept complains about not having enough money. Fun times..

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

Nobody is forcing us to join through. Or Liverpool or Barcelona for that matter. We are run by just as big scumbags as him.

ZupZup

Nobody is forcing us to join through. Or Liverpool or Barcelona for that matter. We are run by just as big scumbags as him.
Yep. I don't disagree... we are every bit as bad for even humouring that clown. Maybe worse in some ways as he is doing this to try and ensure the continued success of Real Madrid... whereas for us, it's just plain greed.

Chairman Steve

I will say he raised a good point how you can know how much Lebron James makes in the NBA, but you can’t know how much the top guys at UEFA make.

Mike Smalling

Question: When Perez talks about the game being in decline and all that, what exactly is he talking about? Of course, I get that the pandemic has been a huge issue, and I know that Real Madrid and Barcelona specifically are in financial problems, but surely that is down to mismanagement rather than anything else. Outside of covid, is there a general decline in revenue, tickets sold, viewership or anything like that he can point to?

Laurencio

It is honestly impressive just how disruptive one man can be. He disrupted the status quo by getting Figo, then he turned players into rockstars through Galacticos, then he started comparing clubs holding on to their players to slavery when he was chasing Ronaldo, he essentially inflated the market on his own breaking transfer-record after transfer-record - often using debt to do so, and now he is involved in a breakaway league which threatens to completely change the structure of european football.

Makes you think how European football would look without him.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
Question: When Perez talks about the game being in decline and all that, what exactly is he talking about? Of course, I get that the pandemic has been a huge issue, and I know that Real Madrid and Barcelona specifically are in financial problems, but surely that is down to mismanagement rather than anything else. Outside of covid, is there a general decline in revenue, tickets sold, viewership or anything like that he can point to?
He says the younger generations are not as interested in football as before. I recall seeing some director at Liverpool talk about them being more into videogames and series and how that was affecting the business little by little. Apparently the viewership is declining too.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Pure mismanagement. And a knock-on effect of being too greedy in the past, reducing competitiveness and therefore interest across certain leagues.
He says the younger generations are not as interested in football as before. I recall seeing some director at Liverpool talk about them being more into videogames and series and how that was affecting the business little by little. Apparently the viewership is declining too.
The problem here is partly wider social trends and partly football making an arse of it. Most young people have been priced out of the game due to ticket and subscription prices. In the UK all efforts have been on the middle-aged Sky subscribing demographic - those willing to fork out the best part of a grand a year on a TV package. And those who no longer have much enthusiasm for the more physically engaged fan experience of their youth - the standing, singing, the sense of identity and belonging for disaffected kids. Elite clubs have willingly removed that demographic group because they know the money, in the short-term, is in the middle aged group. Shit long-term planning of course.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Not surprising. You can become a rich by being good at video games now so parents probably encourage their kids to play them more nowadays.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.

I have a great idea, why don't the two of you breakoff and have the Spanish Super League and play each other 38 times a season.

Well I couldn't give fewer fecks about the el clasico these days. Lost its charm for me a while ago.

Grande

It's mental.

Who the feck makes a league and then puts Perez as chairman, and Joel sodding Glazer as vice-chiarmen?!

Morons, thats who.
Florentino Perez and Joel Glazer, that’s who.
Unfortunately they are not morons. One is a closet fascist car salesman and the other a cynical big corp capitalist, both are good at getting what thwy want to the detriment of what anybody else wants, and nothing much more.

It’s no coincidence that it was Silvio Berlusconi who started this clamour for and oligarch league in Europe.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
Florentino Perez and Joel Glazer, that’s who.
Unfortunately they are not morons. One is a closet fascist car salesman and the other a cynical big corp capitalist, both are good at getting what thwy want to the detriment of what anybody else wants, and nothing much more.

It’s no coincidence that it was Silvio Berlusconi who started this clamour for and oligarch league in Europe.
Just saw one video of Laporta and Lendoiro (former Deportivo chairman) speaking about the Superleague...in 2004. At some point Laporta says "I was in Brussels the other day and I was told we, the strong clubs, have to organize the European League [...] Football is the last monopoly remaining in Europe".

This shows the debate has been there for at least 16 years but it is us fans the last who noticed it.

OverratedOpinion

I am pretty sure that the Manchester Derby regularly has a significantly higher viewership than the El Clasico. God the Spanish teams are an arrogant bunch.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
Summary of Florentino interview yesterday.

- Football is getting less and less income and there is less interest (every year).

- If we don't do something football is in danger.

- Broadcasters offer X for the current format and 5 times that amount for a Superleague including 15 teams that generate the biggest attraction.

- It would not be a closed league.

- Money would be give to UEFA for them to share it.

- UEFA could decide the 5 guests every edition according to sport merits.

- Ceferin and Tebas have shown improper behavior for a director in their organizations.

- UEFA and LaLiga are not transparent organizations.

- They cannot ban anyone from any competition (Champions, Leagues) or stop anyone from playing in their NTs. It is illegal.

- Founding clubs will keep on playing in their respective leagues.

- They don't want to weaken national leagues. All the contrary.

- He wants to have same transparency in Superleague as in USA sports. Contracts will be public as in the NBA.

Ixion

- UEFA could decide the 5 guests every edition according to sport merits.
How generous.

Without any form of relegation for the founding clubs there is nothing this can competition can offer to make it acceptable but obviously that is the only reason they're trying to make it happen

Fridge chutney

Leaving aside 2020, is it true that football viewership and income is declining each year? That seems like a strange claim.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Is he straight up lying? "It would not be a closed league"

Well, bar the 5 guests, the other 15 are guaranteed to participate aren't they?

HJ12

Um not me. I stopped watching long ago after getting tired of watching a game filled with advantages being gained by players falling over the pitch. This man lives in cuckoo land.

And let's be honest, it is not their fault that these clubs have such financial issues! They overspent, overpaid only for the good of football, for the fans!
Exactly. Financial mismanagement should be rewarded with bankruptcy. Even ignoring the effects of Covid, Barca were knew they were overspending and playing a financial game beyond their means. They should be made to suck it up.

DoomSlayer

Feck Perez and feck Real Madrid, they destroyed football with their whole Galactico thing, backed by their own state for decades. Disgusting SOBs. :mad:

Kaos

Because the world cares when Real play Athletico? I'm pretty sure United vs Liverpool still garners as much attention as 'El Classico'.

Anyway why am I even humouring this, the man is a leper dinosaur.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
@giorno and yourself: what is the general reaction from Madrid fans about this? While I'm at it @Daysleeper ditto for Barca and @padr81 for City (especially considering the protests against the CL). Isn't the thread for it but feck it we are in a free for all now.

Edit: @balaks Spurs I don't care about.
Most Barca fans (including myself) loathe it. I enjoy la liga and even the smaller teams (compared to the big 3)
@giorno and yourself: what is the general reaction from Madrid fans about this? While I'm at it @Daysleeper ditto for Barca and @padr81 for City (especially considering the protests against the CL). Isn't the thread for it but feck it we are in a free for all now.

Edit: @balaks Spurs I don't care about.
The more and more I read about the more infuriating it gets. Getafe just pulled off a draw against Madrid (yes Madrid had lots of injuries) we’ve dropped points to Cadiz, Atletico has dropped points to teams fighting relegation. This is what makes the league fun especially in a right race. Sevilla are only 6 points from the top spot get don’t get the invite that Spurs got.

For CL I have local friends who support Liverpool and other who support United. Matching up with them in the CL was really exciting because of how infrequent those matchups tend to happen. But if we play them every year all the time it will absolutely lose its lustre sooner than later. I hope it doesn’t go through, going to be really depressing if it does

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
How generous.

Without any form of relegation for the founding clubs there is nothing this can competition can offer to make it acceptable but obviously that is the only reason they're trying to make it happen
I don't like that either. Eventually it will make leagues lose a great part of their appeal, so I guess some middle ground will be reached eventually.

Acole9

Outstanding
Nice to see the English clubs have stayed silent and let him make a title out of himself...