g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Florentino Pérez: The saviour of football.

Spoony

The People's President
This is also an interesting quote:

“The owners are mostly not English. They’re not in it to make money, they have teams in America, love sport and they found themselves in a position they didn’t expect. They’re old, they got scared”

Why did they get scared?? Nationalisation? Bizarre that folk like those would get scared considering the experience they've got of fleecing people.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
This stupid fecker basically invented the concept of just buying all the best players which led to this supposed 'crisis' for the top clubs. It's like the idea of just not doing that and actually building a team the way everyone else does is just unimaginable to him. Twat of a man.

DoomSlayer

it's the derby apparently.

'A study done in 2017 calculated the viewership of the game in terms of broadcasting and attendance on the field, put the Manchester Derby as the most-watched game in the world. This match was broadcasted in 1 billion homes in 189 countries (there are 193 registered UN countries).'

I suspect it's become even more popular.
The problem is so many of those new viewers are not football fans and never will be. They are just part of any current hype train, so you should never base any long-term predictions on their behaviour.

That's why this idea is as stupid as it is greedy in terms of financial gain. Perez isn't saving football. He is an old man that is trying to save himself, and Real Madrid in the short term, by destroying the roots of football and putting the whole future of the sport at stake.

Perez is one of those powerful and rich people, who are never able to take accountability for their mistakes and inadequacies, because it is always in their nature to serve their short-term interests and desires.
This stupid fecker basically invented the concept of just buying all the best players which led to this supposed 'crisis' for the top clubs. It's like the idea of just not doing that and actually building a team the way everyone else does is just unimaginable to him. Twat of a man.
Exactly. Very ironic how he is crying about "football getting destroyed", i.e. Real Madrid can't compete financially due to criminal mismanagement, when his original project and crownpiece was the Galacticos.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
it's the derby apparently.

'A study done in 2017 calculated the viewership of the game in terms of broadcasting and attendance on the field, put the Manchester Derby as the most-watched game in the world. This match was broadcasted in 1 billion homes in 189 countries (there are 193 registered UN countries).'

I suspect it's become even more popular.
City has become extremely popular, you see their kits everywhere and people suddenly became lifelong fans, Chelsea are also very popular.

Spoony

The People's President
He only started the Galatico policy to make Real a bigger global brand than United. Prior to that Real weren't even that popular, Barca were bigger despite their lack of ECs back then. Mental where football has come,Manchester bloody City are global players, the Italian clubs have lost their charm and Spurs were invited to a European Super League. It's a bizarre dystopian David Lynch film script innit.

Cal?

CR7 fan
City has become extremely popular, you see their kits everywhere and people suddenly became lifelong fans, Chelsea are also very popular.
Chelsea are, at least here in Hong Kong.

but I’ve hardly ever seen any City shirt around

Spoony

The People's President

I suspect most new fans are casual, they'd probably happily follow any club that's currently glamourous. I think the SL would've been massively successful for that reason. The idiots wanted a closed shop which must've been one of the reasons why it fell flat overnight.

JPRouve

Scout
Chelsea are, at least here in Hong Kong.

but I’ve hardly ever seen any City shirt around
I see City full kit wearers around here, which is frankly disgusting. :D

Ixion

It cannot be that in England, the six lose money and 14 make money. In Spain the top three lose money, and the others make money. That can’t continue; it is the rich are those who are losing money.”
Hahaha, this twat. Maybe don't spend hundreds of millions you can't afford dickhead.

justsomebloke

Real Madrid's squad includes Courtois (a fairly priced goalkeeper at 40m), Sergio Ramos (an expensive 27m transfer who has been at the club for 16 seasons), Varane (10m, 10 seasons) Marcelo (6.5m, 15 seasons), Mendy (50m), Militao (50m), Nacho (zero), Odri and Carvajal (6.5m buyback fee from initial sale, so 1.5m) in defense. In the midfield they have Luka Modric (fairly priced at 35m, Balon D'Or winner while at the club, still going), Toni Kroos (25-30m), Casemiro (10-20m or something it's kinda confusing), Valverde (5m) and Isco (slightly overpriced at 30m). In attack they have Benzema (quite expensive at 40m, has been at the club for over a decade now and is close to being a club legend), Asensio (4m), and Vinicius / Rodrygo (insanely overpriced at 45m).

Their net spend over the last 12 years (the Ronaldo summer) is 499m. I don't know how 12 years compares to other clubs, but an article from December 2019 says that the 10-year net spend of Real Madrid at the time was 9th overall, 75m higher than Bayern Munich, and below Arsenal, Juventus, Chelsea, AC Milan, Barcelona, Manchester United, PSG, and Manchester City. These purchases funded 4 Champions League titles. The club is currently defending a league title and in the semifinals of the Champions League, with Militao and Vinicius being star players in the CL and Clasicos, the most important games of the season so far.

Mistakes have been made and some players have been overpriced and some have been total flops, but Real Madrid has one of the best transfer records of the last decade. For every flop, I can find you one cheap guy and one fairly priced guy who helped the club win Champions League trophies, and another guy we sold for a stupid amount of money. With all due respect to Marquinhos and Verratti, they have won the exact amount of CLs for their club that Militao and Vinicius have won for theirs: zero.

If Real Madrid have been one of the most successful clubs of the last decade, and have spent less money than most of the top clubs, then what are the standards? They can't get a single big transfer wrong? They can't take any risks? They can't overpay now for what they believe is really underpaying in the future?
Where did Hazard (who cost 115 million Euros) go in that overview?

BayernFan87

Supports
Bayern Munich
There is no mistake in that scenario having debt doesn't mean that you are not solvent and it also doesn't mean that you don't cash to invest. It doesn't even mean that Bayern have more liquidities available than Real Madrid, maybe they do but your scenario doesn't show that.
I don't think you can compare football clubs to normal companies like that.

If a company is in debt they of course often invest to generate more income and to lower their debt. However you can't directly calculate how much "income" a new player will generate for a football club. He can strenghten their brand, he can help to reach sporting success and thus win prize money, he can lead to more sold shirts, but you can't exactly calculate a business case.

But a football club that obviously spent way too much on wages and transfer fees in the recent years shouldn't buy a player that demands wages that are even too high for the likes of Chelsea and PSG (at least according to reports).
And in no way should a club sign such a player and literally cry a few days afterwards and lead a revolution because they "need to save football [...] because we don't earn enough money".
That's next level hypocrisy, even for Perez.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
The Nokia part was tongue in cheek. But the point is that Real Madrid made the choice to spread their money around, they had the money to purchase the likes of Mbappé and Haaland but decided otherwise which is not the same as not being able to afford them. Eibar can't afford these players, it's not a choice, they don't choose to spend it somewhere else.
I don't think anybody made that point though. Do you have the original quote?

JPRouve

Scout
I don't think you can compare football clubs to normal companies like that.

If a company is in debt they of course often invest to generate more income and to lower their debt. However you can't directly calculate how much "income" a new player will generate for a football club. He can strenghten their brand, he can help to reach sporting success and thus win prize money, he can lead to more sold shirts, but you can't exactly calculate a business case.

But a football club that obviously spent way too much on wages and transfer fees in the recent years shouldn't buy a player that demands wages that are even too high for the likes of Chelsea and PSG (at least according to reports).
And in no way should a club sign such a player and literally cry a few days afterwards and lead a revolution because they "need to save football [...] because we don't earn enough money".
That's next level hypocrisy, even for Perez.
I didn't make any comparison and I didn't calculate a thing. I said that having debt tells you nothing about the finances of a club.

JPRouve

Scout
I don't think anybody made that point though. Do you have the original quote?
I am the original quote, I made the point that Real Madrid could afford Mbappé and Haaland but you and others tried to argue otherwise.

TsuWave

True. And it's so crazy to me. Anecdotally, whenever I'd travel somewhere (pre-covid) and I'd see City kits my mind would always "???". Even now on social media you see City fans from all over the world and I still have to check myself that things have changed.

Their growth has been pretty quick. Success, a recognizable manager and talented players does that.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Guess Perez doesn't need us (United,City,Arsenal,Chelsea,Liverpool) then.
*sigh* shame.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
I am the original quote, I made the point that Real Madrid could afford Mbappé and Haaland but you and others tried to argue otherwise.
I never said Madrid could not afford Haaland for 20 million euros. My point is that you were being advantageous comparing three preselected bargains with three guys purchased in a way more recent and inflated market (as average). I.e. Marquinhos went to PSG in 2013, Verratti in 2012.

This is your original post:

People want to make excuses for big clubs, they blame everyone and in particular PSG and City but that's BS. Just an example, Haaland, Marquinhos and Verratti were purchased for less than 60m, Madrid spent 140m on Rodrygo, Vinicius and Eder Militao. Which set of player was overpriced?

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
El Classico is dead these days, I can't remember the last time I watched one.

No wonder people are tuning off when it's just Barca v Madrid every time in all the Spanish finals. That's the same feeling the super league would have had.

Foxbatt

Considering even RM supporters have protested against the SL, the world he is living in is even smaller -- inside his own head.
I sincerely hope he is not living inside Klopp's head. If so he and Gary Neville will have a right ole punch up all inside Klopp's head.

JPRouve

Scout
I never said Madrid could not afford Haaland for 20 million euros. My point is that you were being advantageous comparing three preselected bargains with three guys purchased in a way more recent and inflated market (as average). I.e. Marquinhos went to PSG in 2013, Verratti in 2012.

This is your original post:
I wasn't comparing PSG and Madrid, I used examples of good players that Madrid could easily afford but didn't target these two just came to mind, the fact that PSG purchased them is irrelevant but I should have used other players since you took it as an offence. Let's say Salah for 40m to Liverpool instead of Vinicius or Pavard from Stuttgart instead of Odriozola.

Foxbatt

I do not see many Real Madrid shirts around Asia at least. Yes when Ronaldo was there you see his shirts but nothing of significant anymore. Most people watch the PL and not La Liga in Asia.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
The thing is will fans boycott Wednesday night football next season with Man Utd up against Barca one week, followed by Madrid the following week, followed by Juventus the following week and then Bayern the week after that? I doubt it...

The contracts have already been signed so this super league could very well go ahead as planned. We all know UEFA is rotten to the core, and maybe this power grab is a way of the biggest clubs saying to UEFA 'We're in charge now!'.

The fact that PSG haven't been invited to participate according to Florentino Perez says a lot. Perhaps the suspicion among the big clubs was that PSG were slowly having way too much influence in UEFA, brown envelopes exchanging hands left right and centre with UEFA's top dogs. UEFA has always been rotten to the core, so it seems ironic that the likes of Ceferin are trying to portray themselves as the Mother Teresa in all of this right now.
No. PSG was against but they were/are part of the plan, because a football competition without France does not make sense at all levels

JPRouve

Scout
I do not see many Real Madrid shirts around Asia at least. Yes when Ronaldo was there you see his shirts but nothing of significant anymore. Most people watch the PL and not La Liga in Asia.
I was having the same thought but in France. United and Real Madrid aren't that visible but with United you see things like T-Shirts more than kits. When it comes to foreign club the ones I see the most are Chelsea, City, Barcelona, Bayern and if you hang around camping spots, Liverpool.

pass.pass.pass

This is true. In fact, in India, La Liga has not even been shown live on any broadcast channel for the past two seasons.

Nobody gives a f*ck about a league dominated so artificially by RM and Barca.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
This is true. In fact, in India, La Liga has not even been shown live on any broadcast channel for the past two seasons.

Nobody gives a f*ck about a league dominated so artificially by RM and Barca.
Because the premier is not artificial at all with City winning the league at Christmas

ti vu

No, I agree there are inherently difficult balances to be struck here. But one of them is between making the initial rounds interesting, and having a real risk of big clubs not making it to the KO round. No risk, no point. And having several good teams in the same group does make that stage more interesting (as United fans know all too well this season).

You don't really need the ESL to have a league phase? The new UEFA-proposed format also has one.
I am not in support of this ESL.

What I explained is why they do what they did, and UEFA clearly bent backward aftermath. The new CL format is a half baked version of ESL, and already on its way away from the CL that. Now national leagues has already to start to work to help fit more games. It's more and more Big Leagues Plus competition.

While some early upset can be exciting, but the truth is if the giant killer cannot go all the way, it affects the ability to attract view for the whole competition. Too many Davids fighting against each other in first KO round, just for them to be eliminated next by the same old faces.

For UEFA without the balls to enforce FFP, it's inevitable for the balance to be tipped that CL would have a bad influence on the national leagues. Either the national leagues go on with reform like the Big Picture idea ( :nervous: ) to decrease the number of team, eliminate domestic Cups, or CL would eventually break and lose its prestige with viewer attracting club no longer able to compete, where new money clubs dominate CL.

This version of ESL is just too much and too quick in its approach, and without consideration for the national leagues, but there is element of truth in their thinking. UEFA just cunningly going under the radar and rolling out a slow death approach. Now ESL is dead. It's time to look at the lesser evil, and stop it track for it to eventually become even the bigger evil.

Last edited:

DoomSlayer

Because the premier is not artificial at all with City winning the league at Christmas
It's levels above your league in terms of being competitive, both in terms of football and finances. The greed of Real Madrid and Barcelona has been slowly killing La Liga.

justsomebloke

Well played Sir. :)

However, I think you'd have to admit that competition goes deeper in the PL than in La Liga. If you look at the title fight over the past 5-6 seasons, it's not the same teams every year. And the way things stand now, you could argue there's 8-10 teams with a more serious potential to advance in the CL than most of the participating teams, if not to win it.

justsomebloke

I am not in support of this ESL.

What I explained is why they do what they did, and UEFA clearly bent backward aftermath. The new CL format is a half baked version of ESL, and already on its way away from the CL that. Now national leagues has already to start to work to help fit more games. It's more and more Big Leagues Plus competition.

While some early upset can be exciting, but the truth is if the giant killer cannot go all the way, it affects the ability to attract view for the whole competition. Too many Davids fighting against each other in first KO round, just for them to be eliminated next by the same old faces.

For UEFA without the balls to enforce FFP, it's inevitable for the balance to be tipped that CL would have a bad influence on the national leagues. Either the national leagues go on with reform like the Big Picture idea ( :nervous: ) to decrease the number of team, eliminate domestic Cups, or CL would eventually break and lose its prestige with viewer attracting club no longer able to compete, where new money clubs dominate CL.

This version of ESL is just too much and too quick in its approach, and without consideration for the national leagues, but there is element of truth in their thinking. UEFA just cunningly going under the radar and rolling out a slow death approach. Now ESL is dead. It's time to look at the lesser evil, and stop it track for it to eventually become even the bigger evil.
Interesting food for thought. Thank you.