Florian Wirtz | Leverkusen player

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Kroos was great but Wirtz is much better for us, IMO. The rest is a bit harder to tell because I was too young to really form an opinion when Ballack, Kirsten and co. played for us.
As much as I like Wirtz, Kroos was at an amazing level in the 2009/10 season. 9 goals and 12 assists, better than Wirtz has had in a BL season. Really difficult to rate one over the other but it's not easy to say Wirtz was better, Kroos was fantastic then.

Ballack was taking Germany to the WC final, and Leverkusen to the UCL final, after his final season at Leverkusen and was wanted by pretty much every big club at that time. He was ofcourse a lot older than Wirtz right now but, as someone else said, he was already one of the best midfielders in the world at Leverkusen.

Rampant Red Rodriguez

Scared of women, so hates them.
It's crazy to think that Utd doesn't even have a chance to get a player like this anymore.
We have not recruited from Germany much at all in the history of our recruitment. Nothing to note in this hyperbole. Our limited recruitment from has been to limited effect, Ballack has been the best EPL migration until today tbh, Kroos of all time o.fc.

Skills

Snitch
We have not recruited from Germany much at all in the history of our recruitment. Nothing to note in this hyperbole. Our limited recruitment from has been to limited effect, Ballack has been the best EPL migration until today tbh, Kroos of all time o.fc.
Erling Haaland...

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I think he is, at least in his position and every statistical metric backs this claim up. Only thing missing is performances against teams in the highest level for club and country, since he was unfortunately out injured when we played Champions League.
Even if he is he's got a long way to prove it fully, Ballack did it for both the national team and the club at the very highest level, Wirtz doesn't have that yet.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
de bruyne

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
DeBruyne
Haaland
Gundogan
Kompany
Son
Aubemeyang
Ballack

Rampant Red Rodriguez

Scared of women, so hates them.
DeBruyne
Haaland
Gundogan
Kompany
Son
Aubemeyang
Ballack
I stand corrected, we have signed some excellent players from Germany. Werner, Havertz and Sancho too have been excellent for us.

Maybe with a Dutch coach we can get better success with German players at our club.

Stadjer

I stand corrected, we have signed some excellent players from Germany. Werner, Havertz and Sancho too have been excellent for us.

Maybe with a Dutch coach we can get better success with German players at our club.
Ten Hag comes from an area that is bordering Germany too! ETH is perfect for it

Taribo's Gap

This boy is a baller. Another goal and three assists in the Europa League game last night, though quality of competition is not that high.

@Zehner sorry, but I can't wait for him to test himself in the CL after his inevitable move. Maybe he'll get a season or two in the CL with Leverkusen before he leaves.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
This boy is a baller. Another goal and three assists in the Europa League game last night, though quality of competition is not that high.

@Zehner sorry, but I can't wait for him to test himself in the CL after his inevitable move. Maybe he'll get a season or two in the CL with Leverkusen before he leaves.
I think a UCL season for us is all we can realistically hope for :) Hope he and Alonso stay for another season and then join a club not named Bayern

Big Andy

Bloke
No point signing him anyway. We'd only end up playing him out of position, and then benching him the first chance we get, before selling him back to Leverkusen in 2 years for a third of what we paid for him. He'd be fecking mental to come to United, unless it's for money.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
No point signing him anyway. We'd only end up playing him out of position, and then benching him the first chance we get, before selling him back to Leverkusen in 2 years for a third of what we paid for him. He'd be fecking mental to come to United, unless it's for money.
:lol: And I thought I had a bad enough downer on us at the minute! Never thought I'd see the day, Andy!

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
:lol:

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Hasn't said anything about that himself but reportedly he was a Barca fan in his youth and is a big admirer of Pep.
Barca is FCB and Pep was at Bayern: the signs are obvious

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Hasn't said anything about that himself but reportedly he was a Barca fan in his youth and is a big admirer of Pep.
How much do you think he will go for when the time comes? We talking Dembélé transfer challenging?

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
How much do you think he will go for when the time comes? We talking Dembélé transfer challenging?
I think that's impossible to predict as fees are influenced by so many factors and there are so many uncertainties.

Right now, it doesn't really look as if the stars align for a bidding war. Solely based on the reports I read there are only two serious interests:

Wirtz likes Barca and Barca is in contact with him since years but they lack the money to sign him this summer. The player's camp has already told them that they won't wait for them if another offer arrives this summer. Barca is also working on a Felix transfer. A formation with Wirtz, Felix, Gavi, Pedri and de Jong could be very difficult even for Xavi.
Besides Barca, Real seems to be seriously interested. I'm a bit skeptical as we don't even know their coach for next season, are also pursuing Mbappe. A formation with Mbappe, Vinicius, Wirtz and Bellingham in it isn't impossible but a challenge. They are also linked with Alonso whose formation actually fits all those players.
Then there's also Bayern who are said to be interested but not willing to break the bank for him as they are planning with Musiala and expect Wirtz to be too expensive. And that was before they signed Kane. Considering that they need at least one RB, one CB and one CDM - if possible even in the winter - I doubt they are serious contenders for his signature. If Musiala leaves that might change but I only believe hat when I see it plus even then it might not be enough.
City is seemingly interested but there aren't as many sources as for the previous clubs. However, I think City is generally the most likely destination as Wirtz admires Guardiola, City probably wants to prepare on KdB declining and Coty having the funds to sign Wirtz.
Those clubs aside, there haven't been any serious reports.

So if Wirtz moves this summer, it will probably be between City and Real - who might become favourites if they land Alonso and don't have to pay a fortune for Mbappe. That wouldn't be enough for a crazy fee like Dembele. That might change if we actually win a title. But I wouldn't rule out that no great offer comes in and he stays for another season. Then, a whole bunch of clubs could throw their hats into the ring and Barca might be in the pole position.

Reactions: Fortitude

BayernFan87

Supports
Bayern Munich
With Musiala doing a Ribéry on the left wing?
Would be one possibility yeah. I was surprised that Nagelsmann fielded Musiala on the 10 and Wirtz as left winger in the two recent Germany games because for me it would make more sense the other way around.

I also wouldnt rule out both in a double 8 in front of a 6. For the type of players they are I think both are quite capable in defense. Musiala played several time in a double pivot with Kimmich or Goretzka.

The third option is the 3-4-2-1 with two 10s that Leverkusen uses.

Im not sure that we will get Wirtz, but im sure that we are willing to go all in for him. There were so many reports that we are in contact with him and his father since his days in Cologne and Wirtz is the biggest german talent at least since Götze.

We know that especially Hoeneß loves his FC Deutschland so the possibility to have THE two future stars playing together for us will certainly appeal to him.

Get Palhinha in the winter and Wirtz in the summer and we are rolling.

Last edited:

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
I'd love him at Bayern, but he has "to the Prem for 120mil" written all over him :(

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Do you think that we wont be in for him or that he will chose another club over us?
Banter aside I think there is a possibility he ends up at Bayern but it isn't highly probable. Most reports say you eye him but think he'll be too expensive as you won't go all in since you want to build a team around Musiala. And last summer, you had to sell a few players before making the next transfers, suggesting you operated without huge reserves. Add to that that your squad in midfield and defense is very thin and you need to sign at least one starter at CDM, probably on the winter already, I don't see that you'll be willing to pay what we'll ask and possibly you won't even have that much even if you were primcipally ready to put the money on the table.

That aside, I don't have the impression that you'd be his first choice. That would be Barca or Pep I think.

I would probably stop following Bundesliga for a season or two if he ended up at Bayern, though. So I'm definitely biased