Floyd Mayweather vs Logan Paul [Confirmed Feb 20, 2021]

bsCallout

Why wouldn’t they do this? It’s genuinely easy money.... and unless something remarkably flukey happens, no harm to the fighters overly involved.

Not overly certain who Paul is but he fought some probably similar level Japanese celeb last for a load of wonga.
You mean KSI? He's English

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Yeah I find it odd people pass him off as this idiot cos 50 Cent said he couldn't read basically.

He's a pretty smart businessman, backed himself and bought himself out of his contract with Bob Arum to promote himself and made a fortune, got 100 million + to fight McGregor and it sold huge numbers, gets paid still for these easy fights and it does get people talking about him still and he probably has to do very little work for it. I think we'll see him do a few more of these to be fair.

THe last one he did he was in awful shape and he ended it pretty quickly not exactly hard work.
If you're an elite boxer, and Floyd likes you enough to school you on game, there's no better to seek advice from in making your fortune, I feel.

He saw how the industry did over his Dad and uncle and made sure his story did not have the same outcome. He's rinsed those who hate him and pay to see him fight in the hope he'd lose and he's done it all the while hand-picking opponents that ensure mostly comfortable fits with his style. He's retired pretty much unscathed with all his faculties intact and not once taken advantage of once his destiny was in his own hands. Further to that, he's grassroots in a revenue stream that's even easier money than his pro career was. Floyd is many, many things, but stupid when it comes to boosting his bank account, he is not.

I'm sure promotion is what he'll turn his hand to when he can no longer be sure of an easy meal ticket with these exhibitions.

Chipper

Adulterer.
There will be. Eddie Hearn confirmed that the last fight Logan Paul had with a Youtuber sold more PPVs than Ruiz vs Joshua. Celebrities such as Bieber, Wiz Khalifa, Mike Tyson, Rick Ross and Post Malone showed up.
I don't know if @DOTA was getting at this but I actually think he'd be better off doing that again. I think Logan Paul fans would be more interested in a fight with another youtuber or some other celeb, Mayweather fans a retired boxer or another kind of fighter like the McGregor one. That way the opponents would be more to familiar to their respective fanbases and they'd be more hyped up for it.

I think this will make money though.

I don't know, Logan Paul v Pewdiepie would sell better I reckon. Maybe Mayweather could fight Anderson Silva or something.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I don't know if @DOTA was getting at this but I actually think he'd be better off doing that again. I think Logan Paul fans would be more interested in a fight with another youtuber or some other celeb, Mayweather fans a retired boxer or another kind of fighter like the McGregor one. That way the opponents would be more to familiar to their respective fanbases and they'd be more hyped up for it.

I think this will make money though.

I don't know, Logan Paul v Pewdiepie would sell better I reckon. Maybe Mayweather could fight Anderson Silva or something.
Nope. The YouTube world was getting bored with the YouTube boxing thing and the only thing they want now is Jake Paul vs KSI. Paul vs Mayweather has made them actually interested again.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Nope. The YouTube world was getting bored with the YouTube boxing thing and the only thing they want now is Jake Paul vs KSI. Paul vs Mayweather has made them actually interested again.
If they are they are but I don't get it. Why be interested in something they 100% know their boy is going to lose?

If he goes up against another youtube person or celeb at least there's intrigue in it.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
If they are they are but I don't get it. Why be interested in something they 100% know their boy is going to lose?

If he goes up against another youtube person or celeb at least there's intrigue in it.
Because loads of people hate both Logan Paul and Mayweather and people will pay money to see either one of them lose.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton

Because it opens up more opportunities for youtubers to do big things and also the above.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I think KSI will box Jake Paul next too. That’ll be a big one for numbers and views.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Because it opens up more opportunities for youtubers to do big things and also the above.
Communication breakdown, I don't know what you mean here. People who like watching Logan Paul will pay to watch him inevitably lose because it will open up opportunities for other youtubers who aren't him to do big things?

Edit to add: I can see a motivation for those who don't like him to watch. Seems like a bit of a waste of money but it's there. Surely nobody who doesn't like Mayweather will be watching, hoping he gets beat? :lol:

Last edited:

DWelbz19

Communication breakdown, I don't know what you mean here. People who like watching Logan Paul will pay to watch him inevitably lose because it will open up opportunities for other youtubers to do big things?
What he means is that YouTube is and has grown from being simply vlogs and reaction channels to making it to mainstream media and entertainment. Big events like this fight keep pushing it into the mainstream and open up the opportunities.

Some examples: KSI and Joji (Filthy Frank) are both very successful YouTuberwho have now made it as music artists; averaging a lot of listeners on Spotify and Apple Music. Both can and have genuinely toured and have/are part of record companies. Logan’s brother just fought a former NBA star on a PPV, after the initial KSI vs Logan fight was a PPV which Eddie Hearn was involved with. Some other youtubers were part of SoccerAid this year, and feature heavily in TV adverts for companies like Lynx, JD Sports, and Foot Asylum.

Bits and pieces like this. The ‘industry’ is opening up to YouTube a bit more.

Chipper

Adulterer.
What he means is that YouTube is and has grown from being simply vlogs and reaction channels to making it to mainstream media and entertainment. Big events like this fight keep pushing it into the mainstream and open up the opportunities.

Some examples: KSI and Joji (Filthy Frank) are both very successful YouTuberwho have now made it as music artists; averaging a lot of listeners on Spotify and Apple Music. Both can and have genuinely toured and have/are part of record companies. Logan’s brother just fought a former NBA star on a PPV, after the initial KSI vs Logan fight was a PPV which Eddie Hearn was involved with. Some other youtubers were part of SoccerAid this year, and feature heavily in TV adverts for companies like Lynx, JD Sports, and Foot Asylum.

I know that but I'm not sure how it's relevant to the question.

A Logan Paul fan will pay money to watch him lose a boxing contest because it will help a make up vlogger who they are not interested in break the mainstream?

Classical Mechanic

KSI has actually had 2 number one singles in the UK this year. That makes him one of the big musical stars of the year.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I know that but I'm not sure how it's relevant to the question.

A Logan Paul fan will pay money to watch him lose a boxing contest because it will help a make up vlogger who they are not interested in break the mainstream?
They’re more interested in them fighting big celebrities than other youtubers now, doing bigger tv things than just sticking to YouTube, yes. These fans aren’t stupid anymore and they’re aware of the opportunities created by these events and obviously want their favourite creators to get this opportunities. This is far more interesting for them than if he fought pewdiepie like you suggested.

DWelbz19

KSI has actually had 2 number one singles in the UK this year. That makes him one of the big musical stars of the year.
Crazy, right? Feats with Rick Ross, Lil Baby, Craig David etc too!
How did youtube get intertwined with boxing?

Is there a backstory?
Initially KSI (basically the biggest YouTuber in the UK) boxed another English YouTuber and it just spiralled from there.

Chipper

Adulterer.
They’re more interested in them fighting big celebrities than other youtubers now, doing bigger tv things than just sticking to YouTube, yes. These fans aren’t stupid anymore and they’re aware of the opportunities created by these events and obviously want their favourite creators to get this opportunities. This is far more interesting for them than if he fought pewdiepie like you suggested.
I understand how a Logan Paul fan would want opportunities for Logan Paul. I thought you were saying they wanted them for youtubers as a whole, that they had some sort of altruistic concern for everyone else on the platform and if they support this they support all youtubers to perhaps break out into other areas. If that's not you were saying then fair enough. If it was I'd question it as I don't know why they'd be bothered.

Now this latest post potentially has us talking at even more cross-purposes. While pewdiepie was the one person I named I did say I thought there'd be more interest in him fighting a celeb than Mayweather and I class pewdiepie as a celeb. I wasn't classing Mayweather as one, but as a fighter and was thinking of non-fighting ones. That could be another youtuber again and pewdiepie is the biggest, or actors, singers etc. I was thinking fans of Logan Paul would be interested because there's a chance he wins, and fans of the singer too if it was a singer because of the same and nobody really knows what would happen. Everyone knows what will happen with this Mayweather one. You're saying there's a lot of interest in fighting celebs too but unlike me are including Mayweather as a celeb and not pewdiepie who I am.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
I don't know if @DOTA was getting at this
My theory was more that Mayweather makes more money in the long run by not embarrassing himself so much and thus lowering his value to advertisers, so I figured his advisers wouldn't go through with it, but people in this thread seem pretty sure this is happening and I barely follow either boxing or Youtube nonsense so I assume they are right.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
@Inter Yer Nan is floyd's team securing: the gate, undercard fights, promotions /advertising and marketing for this?

I'm sure his team are setting all the terms?

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Anyone seen that interview with Jake Paul where the interviewer asks him if it was racist to knock a black man out?

Inter Yer Nan

@Inter Yer Nan is floyd's team securing: the gate, undercard fights, promotions /advertising and marketing for this?

I'm sure his team are setting all the terms?
Not to be rude but I honestly know nothing about it beyond it got made. I only recently got introduced to the other guy and I switched off from Mayweather years ago. I didn’t watch his last two or three fights.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Not to be rude but I honestly know nothing about it beyond it got made. I only recently got introduced to the other guy and I switched off from Mayweather years ago. I didn’t watch his last two or three fights.
:lol:

No shame in that - I didn't know until I saw this thread, either. :lol:

Still, this looks like a major money-making venture from Floyd and I am curious to see how deep it goes.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!

I feel so old:lol:

I know KSI from his fight against that Logan boy and looked at a few of his fifa YouTube vids at the time to see who he was. To think he is now a singer too and I’ve probably or more than likely heard his songs this year without knowing made me laugh.

as much as I think it’s all a pile of nonsense he’s done well for himself fairplay

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Logan Paul has 15 centimeters and probably 25-30 kilos on Mayweather. He's also in his physical prime, whereas Mayweather soon will be 44 years old. If he was a professional boxer then I reckon it would be borderline manslaughter.

He's not a professional boxer, though. I know that he's trained boxing for a few years and that he was a pretty good wrestler in high school(and college?). Surely that can't be enough to beat Mayweather, even with a massive physical advantage? Isn't Mayweather also known for his patient, defensive style? He'll probably just be on the defense the whole fight, land a couple of jabs, and win on points.
Are you high?

OleBoiii

Are you high?
I was just entertaining the opportunity that Logan could win with a lucky punch due to the huge size difference and the fact that he's an athletic fella who apparently has sparred well professional MMA fighters.

But my conclusion was still that Logan doesn't stand a chance. So unless you disagree with that...

Inter Yer Nan

No shame in that - I didn't know until I saw this thread, either. :lol:

Still, this looks like a major money-making venture from Floyd and I am curious to see how deep it goes.
Mayweather has set boxing back so far. Sure, he's made money for himself but he's been damaging the sports credibility for a long time.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Agreed it's a pretty easy pay day but if you consider the amount of money he's made over the course of his career, it's not that much. Hence why I say he must be in the red. With the amount of cash he's earned, he could sit in his bed for 6 months and make millions through investments alone. There is no personal or professional pride in it for him, so why even bother? His spending must be out of control and he's in negative equity if he's going to waste his time with something like this.
He’ll make more money from this than he did in 80% of his professional fights.

MattofManchester

they are they are but I don't get it. Why be interested in something they 100% know their boy is going to lose
I sometimes wonder these things to, but then I remember they're Logan Paul fans and get on with my life, for fear of potentially decreased intelligence.

Sara125

Sorry who’s Logan Paul again? I’m getting old is he one of these TikTok stars?

Classical Mechanic

Agreed it's a pretty easy pay day but if you consider the amount of money he's made over the course of his career, it's not that much. Hence why I say he must be in the red. With the amount of cash he's earned, he could sit in his bed for 6 months and make millions through investments alone. There is no personal or professional pride in it for him, so why even bother? His spending must be out of control and he's in negative equity if he's going to waste his time with something like this.
He's a big gambler. Used to post on Twitter when he won 6 figure bets on basketball games. Wouldn't be surprised if he's running low. He spends extravagantly in general too.

forevrared

No chance he’s broke. He’s just an opportunist who knows an east payday when he sees one. A fight he won’t have to train much for and he’ll probably get some ridiculous split - 80/20, 90/10, etc - of what will likely be a huge PPV.

Imagine you retired then had the opportunity to go back to work for a couple days and make an extra $50,000,000 give or take. You’d be silly not to, regardless of how well off you are.

Zen

Tenshin is ranked #1 Super Flyweight and #1 pound for pound kickboxer in the world, he's not some random YouTube star :lol:
I didn't say he was that either - just a similar level star. Which is well off now a few days have passed, Paul seems to be far bigger from every angle, Floyd will probably make an absolute killing from it.

forevrared

Bonus Floyd content: here he is riding bikes past my apartment in downtown LA during the first lockdown. There were probably 10 other dudes on bikes behind him as well as two TMT branded SUV’s following behind them. He is yelling at me for taking this photo, even though I was one of about 10 people doing the same at that exact moment.:lol:

RedFish

Bonus Floyd content: here he is riding bikes past my apartment in downtown LA during the first lockdown. There were probably 10 other dudes on bikes behind him as well as two TMT branded SUV’s following behind them. He is yelling at me for taking this photo, even though I was one of about 10 people doing the same at that exact moment.:lol:
Doofus should have been wearing a helmet.

Oggmonster

Mayweather has set boxing back so far. Sure, he's made money for himself but he's been damaging the sports credibility for a long time.
To be fair boxing has been going downhill long before Mayweather. Its been years of people avoiding each other/politics etc. He just exploited it better than anyone else to date.

OleBoiii

Sorry who’s Logan Paul again? I’m getting old is he one of these TikTok stars?
He's the moron who went into a forest in Japan that's famous for suicide, found a corpse hanging from a tree, filmed his reaction(but blurred out the corpse) and put in on YouTube almost immediately after to capitalize on it. Oh and his target audience is mainly kids and young teenagers :rolleyes:

Needless to say he got cancelled and has been fighting for relevancy ever since(quite literally). That is the worst part about these boxing matches. They keep this absolute dickhead in the spotlight.

Sara125

He's the moron who went into a forest in Japan that's famous for suicide, found a corpse hanging from a tree, filmed his reaction(but blurred out the corpse) and put in on YouTube almost immediately after to capitalize on it. Oh and his target audience is mainly kids and young teenagers :rolleyes:

Needless to say he got cancelled and has been fighting for relevancy ever since(quite literally). That is the worst part about these boxing matches. They keep this absolute dickhead in the spotlight.
Ohhhh him!