Fluke or not?

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Inspired by the thread on Ozil's (scuffed) volley against Chelsea, what does the Caf make of these other debatable goals?

I'll kick off with a few:

Lampard v Barcelona:

Verdict: Fluke. Aiming to hang it up at the back post for the runners to attack.

Shaqiri v Everton

Verdict: Fluke. Intending to square it for the runner and chops under the ball.

Roberto Carlos v Tenerife

Verdict: Good goal. Incredible goal in fact. Cuts across the ball and goes for the glory shot safe in the knowledge that if he doesn't connect as cleanly, it's still likely to be a problematic cross.

Welcome views on the above and feel free to post your own.

arthurka

Ronaldinho freekick v England..
Verdict genius.. Seaman not from the same cloth.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Cant post a movie from here, but Bergkamp against Newcastle always joins this debate. Not a fluke I'd say.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Lampards was 100% fluke despite what he's had the world believing ever since

Tarrou

I reckon Shaqiri meant it. His body shape and the way he strikes it doesn't make any sense if he's trying to square it.

montpelier

The 2 Brazilians are flukes. 110%.

Lampard & Shaquiri are interesting, the angles are a help if you can dare to try those. You ought not to miss cos of not getting them up/down, there's plenty of room to do that. It's skinny for room controlling it through into the side of the goal you want to hit, Shaquiri less so but still difficult. Sorry, I find that's tricky to explain well.

Not sure about those 2.

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
Never thought of the Shaqiri goal as a fluke when I initially saw it but not I am not sure after a rewatch.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Re-Ronaldinho definitely genius.

I was watching the game in school and saw Seaman's poor positioning and thought to myself, Dinho should hit this. And he did.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I reckon Shaqiri meant it. His body shape and the way he strikes it doesn't make any sense if he's trying to square it.
I think he's trying to stun it back across goal. If he's shooting he doesn't go for the lob - he puts his foot through the ball and tries to make a good connection. Especially on his weaker foot.

montpelier

I think that's a good goal. He has plenty of time to set himself up and it's hard to imagine what else he'd be attempting there.
I'd be inclined to agree but some say he's knocking it to the back stick. I love the angle though, the GK looks like he should be fine but is actually dead in the water from the moment the ball leaves Glenda's foot.

sizzling sausages

Thinks TBP is a soft tagline whore
Scout
Shaqiri's is 100% a fluke. I saw one replay of it at the time where it shows he looks across the box right before he hits it and never looks at the goal.

Tarrou

I think he's trying to stun it back across goal. If he's shooting he doesn't go for the lob - he puts his foot through the ball and tries to make a good connection. Especially on his weaker foot.
Maybe. I saw it as a little deft stun/chip. If he'd put his foot through it if would have gone miles over.

Also it's Shaqiri who basically never passes.

Beej

Don't agree with the Lampard assessment, he has a good look up and there's noone even close at the back post when the ball goes in. Intentional.

Only half agree on Roberto Carlos. It's a fizzed in to create havoc, but I think its disingenuous to suggest it was intended as a genuine attempt on goal. Then again it was Roberto Carlos and for every wondergoal there were about 200 balls that flew into the crowd.

izec

Inspired by the thread on Ozil's (scuffed) volley against Chelsea, what does the Caf make of these other debatable goals?

I'll kick off with a few:

Lampard v Barcelona:

Verdict: Fluke. Aiming to hang it up at the back post for the runners to attack.

Shaqiri v Everton

Verdict: Fluke. Intending to square it for the runner and chops under the ball.

Roberto Carlos v Tenerife

Verdict: Good goal. Incredible goal in fact. Cuts across the ball and goes for the glory shot safe in the knowledge that if he doesn't connect as cleanly, it's still likely to be a problematic cross.

Welcome views on the above and feel free to post your own.
Basically good players fluke, world class players no fluke :smirk:

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Basically good players fluke, world class players no fluke :smirk:
Yeah, there's a danger of just deferring to the top boys here. But I think Figo's was a cross and am still unconvinced on the Ronaldinho goal.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
Biggest fluke of the OP is Carlos, mind you its a great goal but its a fluke, think you can even tell by his celebrations...

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Cant post a movie from here, but Bergkamp against Newcastle always joins this debate. Not a fluke I'd say.
Agreed. The touch and spin to roll the defender is all part of the same move IMO.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
In defence of Carlos it is the mad bastard sort of thing he would try and pull off

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
My verdicts of the ones posted so far:

Lampard = Fluke. Aimless, desperate attempt at cutting the ball back to keep it in play, just ended up hooking his foot around it more than intended. Got lucky.

Shaqiri = Good goal. May not have meant to hit it where it ended up, but I think his body's all wrong to be attempting anything else there.

Carlos = Fluke. As with the Lampard goal, an aimless attempt at making something of it before the ball crosses the touchline. Difference being Carlos whacked it.

Ronaldinho - Good goal. Thought this was a fluke for ages, but I think he was intending to cross it, saw Seaman dithering off his line, then chipped the dozy feckwit.

Hoddle = Fluke. He's not even looked at where the keeper is. He's hoping someone's going to run in and nod that goalwards, not have it fly over the keeper's head.

Figo = Fluke. Looking for the chap in the middle but hits it a bit high. Fortunately for him Barthez was about 4ft.

Clevz = Fluke. Looking for a cross towards the back post and puts a bit too much on it. Class goal like, but still not intended.

Bergkamp = Good goal. He knows exactly where that ball's going, which I don't think would have been the case had he miscontrolled it. One fluid movement. Lovely.

I'm going to add this to the mix:

Nani vs Arsenal

I'm going with fluke, but I know a few people (my dad amongst them) who think he was having a pop at goal there. I think he's chipping to the back post and gets luck with Almunia's flappy hand. Might have even gone down as an own goal if I remember correctly.

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
Goikoetxea against Germany, USA 94'

Fluke, but Goiko usually jokes saying that he wanted to score, so who knows :lol:

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Aye, Nani's hanging that one up at the back post. Almunia is basically helpless though, that's how good the 'assist' is.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Fluke, but Goiko usually jokes saying that he wanted to score, so who knows :lol:
Yeah, I'd agree. When he crosses the ball, it's run away from him just a little bit, and the cross isn't as bent in as he'd have planned.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
Nani vs Arsenal

I'm going with fluke, but I know a few people (my dad amongst them) who think he was having a pop at goal there. I think he's chipping to the back post and gets luck with Almunia's flappy hand. Might have even gone down as an own goal if I remember correctly.
Im with you, its a fluke. Shame tbh because if he meant it and Almunia didnt touch the ball it would be an epic goal(still a nice one even though its a fluke).

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
The fact that he takes a look at the box and not at the goal supports this theory but, at the same time, he has to see that there won't be anyone to finish that cross on the back post. Can't decide on this one.

snk123

Lampard = Fluke. Aimless.

Shaqiri = Definitely a fluke. He's trying to square it. His body positioning is wrong because he's running and because it's his weaker foot.

Carlos = Fluke. Trying to create havoc in the box.

Ronaldinho - Good goal. Genius.

Hoddle = Fluke. Never looked up.

Figo = Fluke.

Clevz = Fluke. Because it's Cleverly ffs.

Bergkamp = Fluke. I think he wanted to take it on his left foot, ended up having too much contact and it completely turned the defender.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
Aye, Nani's hanging that one up at the back post. Almunia is basically helpless though, that's how good the 'assist' is.
I don't think he should have even been credited with that goal tbh. Was missing until keeper puts it in.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
The fact that he takes a look at the box and not at the goal supports this theory but, at the same time, he has to see that there won't be anyone to finish that cross on the back post. Can't decide on this one.
apart from park in acres of space?

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Lampard's was never a fluke, he takes a clear look and sees where the goalie (and no Chelsea players) is before shooting. If there was no look you could argue it was a fluke.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I have no doubts about Dinho's goal. It's clear that Seaman was off the mark and Dinho had the vision and the skill to punish him for that.

Figo & Cleverley a flukes. So is Nani. Unsure on Hoddle