Football at the Olympics

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
At least we can get back to some proper football now, what with the Amsterdam tournament and Emirates cup about to begin.

davisjw

Cheers!

I'll be a daredevil. GB lose. Park with a brace. Japan, Mexico, and Brazil to progress. Honduras will make it tough though.
Yes it hurts :devil:

Park screwed up my perfect prediction.

Team GB meet The Curse. England players learn from the Welsh. Sturbridge a classic case of the Chelseas.

Still have Japan winning it.

Claymore

Get in! Cleverley and Giggs back early!
You want to miss watching them play football matches so you can watch them play football matches later on? :houllier: Also its good for Toms development as game time is precious and gets Giggs fitness up. Never get this kind of comment from some people, bizarre.

Those pens by the South Koreans were bloody brilliant mind you.
Agree, great penalties. I said they were fired up and boy were they.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Joe Allen for 15mil doesnt look like a great deal to me. A decent player but its seems at least around 5mil too much.

Brophs

The One and Only
Almost every time someone tries that stop-start run up on a pressure peno it ends that way.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Joe Allen for 15mil doesnt look like a great deal to me. A decent player but its seems at least around 5mil too much.
Unfair to judge on a disjointed GB side. He is a tidy little player. It's a big fee but I think he will prove to be a good signing for them.

Xander45

Know-It-All Champion May 2009
Of course not. It's Sturridge that should die apparently.
It doesn't help Sturridge's cause that throughout the whole tournament he never produced, and today he was giving the ball away for fun.

I'm not sure why Sordell didn't come on at some point in this game, he did pretty well when he was given the chance.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
It doesn't help Sturridge's cause that throughout the whole tournament he never produced, and today he was giving the ball away for fun.

I'm not sure why Sordell didn't come on at some point in this game, he did pretty well when he was given the chance.
Sturridge was undoubtably unfit and shit. With hindsight he should not have been in the squad. The options Pearce choose upfront were cack.

thegregster

Sturridge was undoubtably unfit and shit. With hindsight he should not have been in the squad. The options Pearce choose upfront were cack.
Who else was there? unless he went with an overage player?

Wowi

Rød grød med fløde
You want to miss watching them play football matches so you can watch them play football matches later on? :houllier: Also its good for Toms development as game time is precious and gets Giggs fitness up. Never get this kind of comment from some people, bizarre.
Where did you get that from? I don't care about international football - much less "team GB" - so I'm not really going to "miss" watching Cleverley and Giggs play there.

I'd much rather have Cleverley and Giggs training with us instead of some random team that they put together for one tournament. I don't really think games like this does anything special for Cleverley's development. I never understood that argument. I'm sure it's a nice experience for the players and all, but I don't think it raises their level more than it could be raised by playing at their club. Giggs only came on late in the second half anyway, so your argument about him getting his fitness up doesn't make much sense.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Who else was there? unless he went with an overage player?
Sordell did well when he played, not sure why he got subbed at half time and didnt feature again.

I was really hoping to see Sturridge flourish upfront (as he may have to do it for Chelsea this year) but his touch and movement just seemed poor.

Excal

Yep, Alex

Cal, not the canter you predicted for Brasil, eh? :D
The Barca kit photo is obviously just for show. Her smile in the United kit is more genuine, she's actually wearing it, and she's just in her house, not at a football ground. *sticks fingers in ears* shutupnotlisteningtoanythingelseshutupshutup

Xander45

Know-It-All Champion May 2009
Very true, should have used an overage player on one. Richards was alright but the others back there could have done the job he did fine.

One of Crouch, Zamora or Holt would have done a good job.

Brophs

The One and Only
I think I've only once seen it result in a goal.
I think I've seen a few but it means you hit the ball with less power and you address the ball in a more obvious way as you're moving more slowly. I've always thought looking cool was overrated. Just hit it with power to a corner, preferably in the top third of the goal. You'll score far more than you miss.

thegregster

Unfair to judge on a disjointed GB side. He is a tidy little player. It's a big fee but I think he will prove to be a good signing for them.
I have seen a few times for Swansea. He will be better than the likes of Henderson and Adam no doubt. But I dont see him taken them forward by much.

alastair

ignorant
I thought Cleverley was going to miss with his run up but he just got enough on it to get it in. Close though.

I've never understood why top players can't just run up and hit it high up the goal on either side nearish to the corner. It never fails. That said, top players often struggle to hit corners into the box, so what do I know?

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I was really annoyed by this whole, penalties again thing. It's not England! It's team GB, effectively two different things.

mungy

I am a terrible poster, please ignore me
I thought Cleverley was going to miss with his run up but he just got enough on it to get it in. Close though.

I've never understood why top players can't just run up and hit it high up the goal on either side nearish to the corner. It never fails. That said, top players often struggle to hit corners into the box, so what do I know?
WTF? Top corner, no problem.

anything about now

MUFC lad living in a matriel world
I am happy that the most boring team is out. There was so little to cheer for. You'd think that a side managed by Stuart Pearce would at least show some of his own qualities. If they lack tactics, fine, get stuck in and play it the British way. Wherever the South Koreans lacked in quality, they more than made up for it through teamwork and sheer determination. They weren't just fighting for victory, they were fighting for national pride.

davisjw

Bellamy was a good bring, but he never played a full 90. Giggs did well his first two games, didn't appear in the third, and was their worst player in the 40 minutes he got (including extra time). Hindsight is a b*tch, but maybe bringing Giggs to a game every three days tournament was a bit much.

Richardson is still such a bizarre pick. He played well, but defense wasn't the problem. Scoring was. Maybe someone like Agbonlahor or even Crouch would have offered more in attack alongside Bellamy.

Beckham would have made his penalty :devil:

Klogon

I am happy that the most boring team is out. There was so little to cheer for. You'd think that a side managed by Stuart Pearce would at least show some of his own qualities. If they lack tactics, fine, get stuck in and play it the British way. Wherever the South Koreans lacked in quality, they more than made up for it through teamwork and sheer determination. They weren't just fighting for victory, they were fighting for national pride.
They were also fighting for freedom. If they get an olympic medal of any kind, they gain exemption from 2 years of the mandatory military service that all Korean men must serve. This is crucial for a footballer who has short primes to make money. Our Park Ji Sung was exempt from their 2002 World Cup run, but for these U23 players, that incentive is in the millions of dollars and career goals.