Gaming Football Manager 2014

Leg-End

Those assists...bloody hell. That would be fantastic for a top class winger/attacking midfielder, let alone a full back. I'm guessing he's taking set pieces but even then, unbelievable.
Corners and Free Kicks from the left, probably would have even better numbers if I had him doing the right side ones too. I don't know if its my tactics or what but twice I have grabbed Baines on new saves and both times he has put up average ratings of 8 or higher with a boatload of assists. I think he is just ideal for teams that are setup with wingbacks, narrow midfields and inside forwards.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Started a new save for my laptop (I usually play on my desktop) withe Real Sociedad.

I'm impressed with the team. In my original 25 man squad, 14 players are home grown and 19 trained in Spain. Not much money to go around but I was fine with not spending anything. Just got De Bruyne on loan and I'm ready for the season.

Enter Arsenal. Not only did they start being cnuts and enquire about Vela (they have a 50% of next sale and a 3,4m buy back clause) but I also got drawn against them in the CL qual.

Being a bit stupid and enquire about him instead of just taking him for this 3,4m (he was valued at 10m and by 2nd best player) I decided to answer with a large number instead of rejecting. They ended up buying him for 7m. So now I've got one space open in my squad and I'm trying to find a MC with a 5,5m budget.

Anyways, they buy him before the 1st leg which is at San Sebastián. I win that game 3-0. Quite remarkable. I hardly rated my chances to be high. Squad of newbs, not greatly familiar yet with the tactics up against these veterans. Still I managed to dominate possessions and created the better chances.

2nd leg was 2 days after my 2nd league game (won them both). Lots of tired players and I'm down 2-0 at half time. Typical FM I thought. Show you the light only to shut the door in your face. But Vermaelen was so kind as to give me a penalty in the 49th minuted and get himself a 2nd yellow card to boot. Game finished 2-2 and I'm through, quite comfortably by the looks of it on paper.

My goal is to reach the Europa League knock-out stages as I don't believe I'll finish ahead of United or Juventus in the group. Bettering Basel is a real possibility.

Snow

What a first game in the CL. Played in the league on a Sunday. Juventus away on a Tuesday. That meant that no fecks were given to the Juve game as it seemed a much more lost cause. A lot of players were tired so I rotated as much as I could. This was the result. The equalizer was scored directly from a corner kick (Buffon the world's best keeper my ass) by my backup CB.

Waldner

Balloon headed Pokemon innovator & kitten murderer
Work permits are pissing me off. Missed out on two great signings because of them. Grrr.

Also, I think club stature plays too big of a part in players decisions still. I offered someone £3k as a club in league 1 the finished 14th in the previous season, he signed for Charlton who just missed out on the playoffs, but is getting paid just £1k. I don't get it.

SirAF

Ageist
I have a 25 year old DM regen, who is worth 52m and is one of the best players in the game. I want to offload him, for as much cash as possible. What would be the best way to go about this? I've experienced that once you want to sell a player it is almost impossible to get big bucks for them - I had to sell a 29 yo januzaj for 5m!

SirFergie

Anyone else annoyed at how many easy chances are missed? They shoot when they should cross and vice versa, RvP is cack and Rooney is shite.

nooshka

Does anyone have a successful and easy to implement tactic for the 14.2.1 update?

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
I've decided to quit West Ham because I can't take them anywhere else and need a new challenge, of course I do it in the middle of the season, hehe.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Just had a game where I had 57 shots against Olympiacos, but only 10 on target, winning just 1-0 :lol:
Did hit the woodwork 5 times though.

Siorac

Anyone else annoyed at how many easy chances are missed? They shoot when they should cross and vice versa, RvP is cack and Rooney is shite.
Tbh, the whole match engine just annoys me. Even winning is no fun with this game, it's all so scrappy. I tried watching some AI vs AI games too and it's the same, no team plays really good football but set-pieces are excessively powerful.

Neil_Buchanan

Cock'd
Ive stuck it out almost one season in the MLS but i am going to have to leave and go elsewhere, its such a cluster feck of unnecessary rules and regulations. I just offered a player a new contract as his runs out soon, but now he has to be re-registered and now he is on a different type of contract and there is no room for him in the squad, so now I have no rightback for the last few games.

I have 130,000 available in wage budget after selling Landon Donavon and replacing him with Rainford Kalaba (great bargain) but cant spend it because of the salary cap, so feck them I'm leaving. I started this career with the USA, Norway, Belgium and Hungary leagues loaded so off to look for a new job.

SirAF

Ageist
The single thing that mostly annoy me is that my assistant perisists playing jaded players who are in need of a rest, when I let him take control of my matches during pre-season! Then I have to step in and do it myself, which is boring as feck.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
The MLS somehow managed to take standard transfer and squad systems, the NFL/NBA ones, and cherry pick the very most incredibly worst possible combination. Then threw a few of their own in, because the cluster wasn't fecked enough.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
The single thing that mostly annoy me is that my assistant perisists playing jaded players who are in need of a rest, when I let him take control of my matches during pre-season! Then I have to step in and do it myself, which is boring as feck.
Instant Result. You set up the team and subs, they do the fixture.

Best thing I ever downloaded for them main mode.

Melvyn

prostate examiner
So I've been playing my old United save for a bit, and noticed that almost all the young players see RVP as a vital part of the team. Thought that was interesting, and perhaps not too far off how the players view him in real life.

nooshka

I've found a formation thats working now and am in 4th place with Wolves, only problem i've got know is shit loads of teams are after Balanta and after rejecting PSG's first bid i've know got a very upset Balanta. Any way to solve this? He won't even talk to me. Or shall i just bite the bullet and sell the stroppy cnut?

nooshka

Just over £20 million, something like £22m. I'm trying to offer him them for £35m but they keep coming back with the same non-negotiable offer of £22m

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
Oh, feck them up their bums then. I wouldn't even give him for the 35m tbf.

His form will struggle for a while, but he'll get over it, then again PSG are major cnuts. One of my recent saves, they kept putting in bids for 4-5 of my top players, all season long, unsettled the feck out of my squad.

Snow

It's really something how many goals from corners there are. They do even themselves out as you concede a lot to but they can totally change games for better or for worse. It only takes a half decent taker. If you don't have a player with at least 13-14 you should buy one just to have a corner taker.

Brophs

The One and Only
Has anyone got any suggestions for a fun game to start, preferably as an English lower league team? League 1 is the highest I want to start.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
Go right down into the Skrill North/South, and pick any team. Mad craic. Almost no budgets, almost all your players on non contracts meaning you could have to replace them at any time. I done it with Boston United, one of my fave seasons yet.

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
Jones just mangled his cruciates, he's out for 9 months and will miss the world cup. Only first season so hopefully he'll come back strong.

May have to bring Gil Romero back from loan for cover, as Carrick and Romero are out for 3 months too.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
@Snow Ruben Pardo develops into a monster after two seasons. Sefereovic is also quite good.

jeff_goldblum

Complete FM novice here. Got the game for Christmas and have played 4 seasons, 3 years with United (3rd, 1st, 1st with a domestic treble in my second season and a Capital One cup in my 3rd) and then took the Spain job before getting bored of skipping through 4 months of news in order to play a fixture and sacking it in. Learned some lessons the hard way after crashing out of the Champions League 1-0 on aggregate to Chelsea playing with 15 year olds at centre-back because I'd sold Evans (wasn't as highly rated as Smalling or Jones and got unhappy when I didn't play him) and everyone else was injured.

Any suggestions of clubs to start from scratch with would be appreciated. Also if anyone thinks they've got a decent handle on how to improve the backroom stuff (scouting, coaching etc.) or good formation/instruction combinations that'd be mint also

Mander

Well, England just won the 2014 World Cup in my Southampton save. They defeated Belgium 3-0 in the final, and Ashley Young was man of the match. Andy Carroll was MoM and matchwinner in the quarter final vs Spain, and they also beat Brazil along the way. Realistic as ever.