Football Manager 2017

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
Yup, strange. I tend to use 2D myself.... 3D just always seems clunky. You get a feel for what your team is doing much better in 2D also.

Only two improvements they need is the AI buying better and making scouting harder / more inconsistent

Member 5225

Seems like pretty much everyone uses 2D. Not sure why they bother with the 3D tbh, think of all the dev resources they could switch the core of the game, to make it even better!

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
Whats the best game you guys have ever had on CM/FM?
I hate single player ever since playing with a friend, so we tend to do 10-12 seasons per game, so we don't tend to drop down the lower leagues.
One of my favourite was being Porta and Benfica. It was a clear 2 horse race every season, but Europe was the real challenge. The closet I got was the final of the Europa league.
We had to give the game up though because it just became to stressful :lol: If we ever dropped a point, that was it, we was in a mood and thought the title was impossible, even if it was game 1.

I signed Pato for free (bearing in mind this will have been FM 11 or so). Had to give him a massive wage to convince him, along with a big goal bonus. Broke his leg in the second game of the season and was out for the entire season :lol: Absolute money pit

This year a friend is joining the game, and we have narrowed it down to either:
Inter, AC, Roma or what I'd prefer is Benfica, Porta and Sporting

NoLogo

literally seems no better than 5years ago IMO (I don't even play in 3D btw!)
This really pisses me off. Are they trying to sell the pile of turd they are trying to pass off as a 3D engine as something great? It's a pile of horse shit, look at football games it's 2016 and one of the best selling PC games every year can't afford to hire a team that makes a 3D engine that delivers some actually watchable 3D game that manages to get across some real football atmo?

I will definitely use the 2D game again because if I have to watch the crappy floating, headlessly stumbling, turning without moving players for more than 30 seconds it immediately makes me want to turn of the game. Okay I get it, a great looking 3D game isn't really what most fans are looking for if they buy this game but how their 3D game can still look worse than what FIFA or PES delivered 10 years ago is beyond me.

But hell what am I even getting annoyed about. Won't buy this years version anyways, still having fun with FM16 every now and then, pushing with my home grown United project into season seven right now and want to get into Sir Alex 25+ years territory I won't be making the switch to FM17.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form

Football Manager said:
If you can’t wait that long, pre-purchase Football Manager 2017 now from a participating digital retailer and you can start your managerial career at least two weeks before full release with the free early-access Beta. Careers started in the Beta can be continued in the full game.

All copies of Football Manager 2017 (whether pre-purchased or bought after the release date) will come with a free copy of Football Manager Touch 2017 for PC, Mac or Linux. Touch is the more streamlined, ‘transfers and tactics’ way to manage and can also be purchased separately as a standalone game.

Whether you pre-purchase or pre-order Football Manager 2017 from a participating digital retailer, or a participating boxed retailer, you’ll also receive a range of free downloadable content for Touch including 'Board Override', 'No Firing', 'All Job Applications', 'National Management' and three brand new challenges to play in the 'Challenge' game mode.

Football Manager Mobile 2017 kicks off on November 17th and features 2 brand new playable nations. Managers on the move can also expect feature drops on our social channels in the week building up to full release.

FC Ronaldo

...I think he is actually trying to spin the new rules in football as a new feature?
Yup. It's basically the same game with bare minimum interface tweaks.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Liked 2 features, that's it:
1. The Social feed tab
2. join a club at the end of season for managers (although I think it was there even in this version)

On a side note, Miles tweeted a couple of days ago that commentary won't ever be introduced in FM(thank god) as managers don't have access to it . Then what is the point of introducing all those camera angles!

FC Ronaldo

I wish FIFA Manager was still around.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
I wish FIFA Manager was still around.
That game was god awful :lol:
I signed Roberto Carlos and the guy got injured for something daft like 12084 days...

I actually like the sound of FM. I mean he said the AI are more competent with transfers and stuff. To be honest, thats the only thing I'd really want to improve.

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
Do they update the database to reflect dveryones progression a year on from the last update? Like Rashford, Martial, Lingard should probably go up a few, pereira and januzaj downgraded etc

anant

Do they update the database to reflect dveryones progression a year on from the last update? Like Rashford, Martial, Lingard should probably go up a few, pereira and januzaj downgraded etc
They do, but the downgrade for guys like Adnan and Pereira won't be very significant I feel, just like last season as they are still contracted to a big club. A bit similar case to Wilson's case this year

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Is there any reason that they can't have a graphic engine like Fifa? I mean most PC's are capable of playing better than Fifa graphics?

Like others have stated it's been the same way for 6 years or so, I don't mind it but it's not much progression.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
Is there any reason that they can't have a graphic engine like Fifa? I mean most PC's are capable of playing better than Fifa graphics?

Like others have stated it's been the same way for 6 years or so, I don't mind it but it's not much progression.
I think a lot is down to catering for the majority.
Putting such high end graphics into a game that doesn't really focus or need graphics would be a big cost for the company itself, and would probably see its sales drop

Earthquake

Pokemon expert

Something to do with them developing their own engine in house, with a small team.

Fifa have massive budgets, are are using an already existing engine with much more experienced team.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

Probably because there is plenty of people who don't give a damn about the 3D engine and haven't used once, so the extra cost in development is deemed useless?

anant

Is there any reason that they can't have a graphic engine , but like Fifa? I mean most PC's are capable of playing better than Fifa graphics?

I use the 3-D engine mostly. The problem is that in the 3-D view, the game looks unrealistic. As in, there are a few misses that hardly happen in real life, whereas they are too common in FM. Just as an example, in one on ones, players do miss goals that way, but a striker from a top team does not miss 4-5 one on ones against a GK of an average side. In 2-D engine it looks unrealistic. So until, their match engine doesn't become really good, I'd much rather have poor graphics than have great graphics to amplify these shortcomings

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
I use the 3-D engine mostly. The problem is that in the 3-D view, the game looks unrealistic. As in, there are a few misses that hardly happen in real life, whereas they are too common in FM. Just as an example, in one on ones, players do miss goals that way, but a striker from a top team does not miss 4-5 one on ones against a GK of an average side. In 2-D engine it looks unrealistic. So until, their match engine doesn't become really good, I'd much rather have poor graphics than have great graphics to amplify these shortcomings
*Cavani looks around nervously*

But, yeah, that's an area that needs serious improvement, whether it's a match engine issue, or a graphical representation issue.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
I've pre ordered it. I can't wait.

In my opinion the game doesn't need to change much.
The only two big improvements for me would be
1. AI Perform better in the transfer market (Mainly Barca and Real)
2. Young quality players are harder to come by. It's just so easy to scout and buy the best before they are even proven.

Just seems once you have the scouting set up, there are no surprise players who at 23-27 you look at and think, wow

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Probably because there is plenty of people who don't give a damn about the 3D engine and haven't used once, so the extra cost in development is deemed useless?
They are always making a big deal of the 3D engine, saying they've made improvements etc, but it always looks and feels the same way every year with very small changes.

If they had a fifa style engine with the FM stats and detail it would be amazing, but I can see why they don't think it's worth the big jump.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Not played this for a good few years now. Each year just seems like an updated database and after a couple of seasons it's far too easy

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
Not played this for a good few years now. Each year just seems like an updated database and after a couple of seasons it's far too easy
I suppose a lot depends on who you take over really.
I didn't play 17 a lot, but I was Southampton and it took 7 years to win the league

FC Ronaldo

100% won't be buying this. Who does good updates for 2016 databases? SortItOutSi?

anant

I suppose a lot depends on who you take over really.
I didn't play 17 a lot, but I was Southampton and it took 7 years to win the league
I generally either start with Utd, but lose interest after a few seasons or start unemployed with no prior playing experience or badges. In the latter case as well, you typically get a job after 4-5 seasons in Championship/PL level clubs depending on prior results and leagues that you load. But from the 2nd season onwards(even for teams battling against relegation), it becomes far too easy to atleast qualify for CL, due to a great scouting network and too many regens who are wonderkids

FC Ronaldo

Out of curiosity, what don't you like about it / what did you want from it?
I've had issues with the format and formula of FM for years mate. The whole series is stale to me and I find my hours spent on it are through boredom rather than a genuine interest in the game anymore. SI seem to change the smallest things year after year and fail to push for anything substantial to me. My main driver over the past 4 years in each edition has been to pick a formation and get dominance from that because I'm a football geek I guess.
16: 4-1-4-1
15: 3-2-1-3-1
14: 3-3-1-3
13: 4-1-2-3

Perhaps it's just the end of my time with the franchise drawing to an end but it's been generally the same tactical approach since the CM days. Press interaction, match days, training, transfers, scouting and the general flow of the game have been basically the same for far too many years now.

A quick YouTube search for 2010 review drew me to this, it's basically the same...

2 big things to change since 2010 are basically the interface and the match engine. Both were outdated and sloppy anyway. I want this to be so much better than it is I guess and have finally grown tired at it not being so.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
I generally either start with Utd, but lose interest after a few seasons or start unemployed with no prior playing experience or badges. In the latter case as well, you typically get a job after 4-5 seasons in Championship/PL level clubs depending on prior results and leagues that you load. But from the 2nd season onwards(even for teams battling against relegation), it becomes far too easy to atleast qualify for CL, due to a great scouting network and too many regens who are wonderkids
To an extent I do agree. One of my biggest issues with the game is simply the ability to buy very good young players and progress them

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
I've had issues with the format and formula of FM for years mate. The whole series is stale to me and I find my hours spent on it are through boredom rather than a genuine interest in the game anymore. SI seem to change the smallest things year after year and fail to push for anything substantial to me. My main driver over the past 4 years in each edition has been to pick a formation and get dominance from that because I'm a football geek I guess.
16: 4-1-4-1
15: 3-2-1-3-1
14: 3-3-1-3
13: 4-1-2-3

Perhaps it's just the end of my time with the franchise drawing to an end but it's been generally the same tactical approach since the CM days. Press interaction, match days, training, transfers, scouting and the general flow of the game have been basically the same for far too many years now.

A quick YouTube search for 2010 review drew me to this, it's basically the same...

2 big things to change since 2010 are basically the interface and the match engine. Both were outdated and sloppy anyway. I want this to be so much better than it is I guess and have finally grown tired at it not being so.
Yeah fair enough. I don't really know how you play, but to be honest, I can't ever play single player anymore. I just don't get the motivation to play it. None of the game ever appeals to me to be honest, but I play with a few friends, now that just adds some real competition and I think that's what keeps me interested.

I definitely wouldn't buy the game if my friends didn't as I'd have zero motivation to play