Football Manager 2017

DouLou

Been caught pooping
Gonna wait and see for this iteration. Somehow I feel the only thing they have really left to do is improve the transfer AI, so teams aren't left with shitty squads after 4-5 years while yours is packed with world class players. That's always the time I lose interest in the game when I manage to win my third CL in a row and end up beating whoever is in the final by 5 goals because the difference in squad quality is so big that even Barca or Real don't stand a chance against my team.
Don't hold your breath on that. They've had ample time to improve it and it's still shit.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Just as every year I'll buy it and then complain because they only did minimal innovations.
I usually buy in 2 year incrementals, and the last one I bought was FM 2013 but when the time came for me to buy in 2015, I decided to give it a skip. Now I have no inclinations whatsoever to buy this game. Strangely comforting.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Gonna wait and see for this iteration. Somehow I feel the only thing they have really left to do is improve the transfer AI, so teams aren't left with shitty squads after 4-5 years while yours is packed with world class players. That's always the time I lose interest in the game when I manage to win my third CL in a row and end up beating whoever is in the final by 5 goals because the difference in squad quality is so big that even Barca or Real don't stand a chance against my team.
Agreed. FM is bloody addictive due to how detailed it is, but this has been the big chink in its armor for ages. Beyond a point, it gets really lame how you seem to be the only club heading towards greatness while the rest seem to be trudging along. You should be able to be at a big club for years and have tough competition consistently.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
I buy a code from CD Keys or Greenmangaming anyway, which are normally quite cheaper, so I'd be saving the discount:lol:

I also think the one big thing that needs improving is the AI buying better.
They do buy some good youngsters, which is great, but the amount of times you offer your mediocre players to clubs and Real Madrid spend 25-50m on them, just to play 3 or 4 sub appearances is frustrating.

I haven't played 16 as much as I do normal games, but I did a Southampton save with a few friends and money was just so easy to come by:
Season one: Spent 46m / Sold 47m
Season two: Spent 173m / Sold 204m
Season three: Spent 35m / Sold 135m
Season four: Spent 95m / Sold 163m
Season five: Spent 185m / Sold 208m
Season six: Spent 141m/ Sold 223m
Season seven: Spent 159m / Sold 180m

If you disregard the first season due to clubs spending most of their budgets already, I average selling 185m per year.
I have a net spend of -326m. A side that just beat Barca 6-0 and would be very disappointed if I lost a single game in the league this year

I would also like to see a bit of inconsistency with scouting.
I just find that if you get a good scout report, then it's golden. Buy em all up and control the game.
Lets buy a player who ends up like Balotelli. Lets buy a player who moves country like Depay and struggles.

Anyway, rant over. For once, I am dropping into the lower leagues next season. I just need to convince one of my friends to do it :lol:
No more buying up youngsters, every penny you spend could make or break your season etc. It needs to be done

Acole9

Outstanding

Miles Jacobson is such a bellend.
Agreed, I remember the first year the game went on to steam and the problems the game had were farcical and when people complained about it he was throwing his toys out of the pram.

Ainu

I'm not a big fan of Miles myself but a lot of the criticism that gets hurled towards these guys is self-entitled garbage. I've never seen a developer who goes through so much trouble to address people's concerns on their forums (and, contrary to lazy popular belief, they do fix a lot of reported stuff in updates and next editions), yet it's still like a kindergarten there with half of the people throwing abuse and demanding their money back because they can't get their strikers to finish. The gaming community can be a very disrespectful and abusive bunch. I can't blame them for losing their shit. But still, Miles seems an unfortunate person to handle most of their PR.

Cina

I'm not a big fan of Miles myself but a lot of the criticism that gets hurled towards these guys is self-entitled garbage. I've never seen a developer who goes through so much trouble to address people's concerns on their forums (and, contrary to lazy popular belief, they do fix a lot of reported stuff in updates and next editions), yet it's still like a kindergarten there with half of the people throwing abuse and demanding their money back because they can't get their strikers to finish. The gaming community can be a very disrespectful and abusive bunch. I can't blame them for losing their shit. But still, Miles seems an unfortunate person to handle most of their PR.
I think loyal fans who buy the game every year have very legit reasons to be pissed, though. They never seem to bother addressing the actual key issues that have plagued the game for years and instead add minor, shitty, irrelevant things year on year and dub them as new 'features'.

At this stage the game is really only a glorified UI change and player database update every year.

It's amazing that the opposition AI is still so awful, and that the games always become crap after a few years due to their shit transfer policy and rotation policy etc. Didn't they even say before it's 'unrealistic' to expect them to fix it? The feck?

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
The game becomes far too easy, I have been playing every game since FM12, but never got addicted to play even half an year (in real life). You start selling your average players to bigger clubs like RM for 60-70m pounds and that's it. My B side is those clubs' A side and its always a comfortable season. Also, the scouting reports on especially the youngsters needs to be inconsistent, so that I can splash 10-15 m pounds on a potential flop.

Ainu

I think loyal fans who buy the game every year have very legit reasons to be pissed, though. They never seem to bother addressing the actual key issues that have plagued the game for years and instead add minor, shitty, irrelevant things year on year and dub them as new 'features'.

At this stage the game is really only a glorified UI change and player database update every year.

It's amazing that the opposition AI is still so awful, and that the games always become crap after a few years due to their shit transfer policy and rotation policy etc. Didn't they even say before it's 'unrealistic' to expect them to fix it? The feck?
To be fair to them I can easily imagine fixing that could be one of the most difficult challenges in modern gaming. AI is a stumbling block for gaming in general. I would be very hesitant to judge them on that. That aside I think they do a very good job at improving the match engine year after year. Sure it's never finished, never without its issues, but it's a never ending balancing act so that's to be expected. You could argue that progress is slow, but at least the series keeps moving forward and improving (in my opinion).

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Too easy after year 3, it's becoming pokemon wonderkids breeding.

Not to mention unplayable bug up till the 2nd or 3rd patches or so.

And please make the ai bid world record fee, my world class wonderkids only get annoffer of 40m. feck off

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
It does become far too easy. I can't remember the last flop I bought because the team is always a well oiled machine that everyone pretty much gets a great rating.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
Hopefully they make it easier to sell people.

You want to buy the AI's player valued at 500k? That'll be 280 million, please.

You want to sell Messi to the AI for 5 million and will pay his wages in full? *crickets*.

The above tweet convo with Miles sums up SI in a nutshell. I can't stand them. Their forums are full of absolute cretins. And that's just the staff.

x42bn6

In an era of Early Access and crowdfunding, this isn't really that special any more.

The forum atmosphere over there contributes to the abuse - say something negative and the special snowflakes descend on your statements like a pack of dogs. I dissected a problematic discussion on the previous version's thread here a while back. So yes, while SI do engage people on their forums, that engagement has its downsides because they're more likely to be defensive about the product.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
This game has been broken for years with first division players capable of scoring absolute peaches outside the box and world class strikers constantly failing to score easy tap ins. I buy it out of habit + its good to kill a bit of time. However its ain't a good game

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Think it's going to be a miss from me this year, far more interested in Fifa and other console games.

Plus the team I usually play as (Dortmund) are playing FM in real life anyway with their blend of wonder kids & a few WC players.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
This game has been broken for years with first division players capable of scoring absolute peaches outside the box and world class strikers constantly failing to score easy tap ins. I buy it out of habit + its good to kill a bit of time. However its ain't a good game
This sort of thing happens in football...

Coxy

Hopefully they make it easier to sell people.

You want to buy the AI's player valued at 500k? That'll be 280 million, please.

You want to sell Messi to the AI for 5 million and will pay his wages in full? *crickets*.

The above tweet convo with Miles sums up SI in a nutshell. I can't stand them. Their forums are full of absolute cretins. And that's just the staff.
Agreed. I hate trying to buy players - they usually want well over £100 million for the best players (when in reality people like Pogba go for £80 at the moment...

And as for selling...playing as United I tried to sell BFS and Rooney in my second season. Offered them for free...no takers. Really?!

devilish

You never said on a regular basis though did you. The things that you described happen quite often anyway...
Seriously? How many times have you witnessed big clubs getting hammered in their own box by some small club for the simple reason that they are playing away? How many times had the manager being asked the same question again and again prior and after a game? How many times had the likes of Ibra missed sitters while championship level strikers manage to score scorchers from outside the box.

This game is broken and had been so for a long long time. I've been buying this shite since the original Championship manager ie back in 1993, so really I know my stuff around it

Last edited:

Ainu

Agreed. I hate trying to buy players - they usually want well over £100 million for the best players (when in reality people like Pogba go for £80 at the moment...

And as for selling...playing as United I tried to sell BFS and Rooney in my second season. Offered them for free...no takers. Really?!
Nothing unrealistic about that. Teams asking well over £100m are basically telling you the player isn't for sale. There are plenty of players in real life that you wouldn't be able to get for £80m, and they're not all Messi or Ronaldo. If United would try to buy Müller for 80m Bayern would laugh in their faces. If they'd up their bid to 150m they'd start to consider it.

The Schweinsteiger and Rooney example indicates no team thinks they are worth their wage demands, so they're not even interested for free.

Coxy

Nothing unrealistic about that. Teams asking well over £100m are basically telling you the player isn't for sale. There are plenty of players in real life that you wouldn't be able to get for £80m, and they're not all Messi or Ronaldo. If United would try to buy Müller for 80m Bayern would laugh in their faces. If they'd up their bid to 150m they'd start to consider it.

The Schweinsteiger and Rooney example indicates no team thinks they are worth their wage demands, so they're not even interested for free.
I get all of that, but to me it's unrealistic still. Some teams would at least bid for BFS and Rooney - and see if they can agree a deal. If not I'd be happy to pay say 30% of their contract each week just to get rid.

As for buying I do take your point - but again I disagree slightly in that we have seen with Pogba what world class players cost (at the moment). For clubs to refuse that and for the player not to grumble (when United have a higher reputation etc) to me is still unrealistic. For example on a smaller scale Southampton rejected a bid of £45 million for Ward-Prowse from me. Would that really happen?

Berbaclass

Seriously? How many times have you witnessed big clubs getting hammered in their own box by some small club for the simple reason that they are playing away? How many times had the manager being asked the same question again and again prior and after a game? How many times had the likes of Ibra missed sitters while championship level strikers manage to score scorchers from outside the box.

This game is broken and had been so for a long long time. I've been buying this shite since the original Championship manager ie back in 1993, so really I know my stuff around it
Those scenarios are irrelevant to the initial discussion.

If it's broken don't play it then...

devilish

Those scenarios are irrelevant to the initial discussion.

If it's broken don't play it then...
This thread is about football manager and Im discussing football manager.

Berbaclass

This thread is about football manager and Im discussing football manager.
:lol:

No, you said players in league one hardly score good goals from outside the box and world class strikers don't miss sitters. Which of course is total BS.

devilish

:lol:

No, you said players in league one hardly score good goals from outside the box and world class strikers don't miss sitters. Which of course is total BS.
So you think that 1st division players tend to score alot of good goals from outside the box while world class strikers tend to miss sitters?

Ainu

I get all of that, but to me it's unrealistic still. Some teams would at least bid for BFS and Rooney - and see if they can agree a deal. If not I'd be happy to pay say 30% of their contract each week just to get rid.

As for buying I do take your point - but again I disagree slightly in that we have seen with Pogba what world class players cost (at the moment). For clubs to refuse that and for the player not to grumble (when United have a higher reputation etc) to me is still unrealistic. For example on a smaller scale Southampton rejected a bid of £45 million for Ward-Prowse from me. Would that really happen?
Obviously not at the moment, but I've found him to be a bit overrated in recent FM's so that's probably a factor. I won't deny you get some weird results trying to buy top players, but I've had a lot of success as well. If they're unavailable (several years left on their contracts) and happy at their club it's very difficult, but I've been able to buy top players for top money (around 50-60m). I've never been able to buy world class players at their peak but even in real life that's a rarity.

I would add that the real life transfer market is probably every bit as weird as what you see in FM. David Luiz for 50m? Who would believe that if it happened in the game? :D It's so unpredictable that trying to replicate it in a game is always going to give mixed results.

Berbaclass

So you think that 1st division players tend to score alot of good goals from outside the box while world class strikers tend to miss sitters?
I think we've already established that. Both happen on FM and in real football.

2E_MUFC

The one thing that needs lookin at imo is players coming to you everyday constantly bitching all the time.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
So they've added new graphics to the match engine, a staff role of data analyst and tweaked the colour scheme on general interface panels for some screens.

Get in! It's eveything we were looking for, right?

PeteManic

Absolutely embarrassing. FM is all about using your imagination. The 2D pitch is more than enough. Can't believe this match engine graphics is something they are promoting as a selling point...

Anyhow as posters have pointed out above, the issue with the game is the AI, especially with transfers and squad building. After 5 years the game is pointless.