Football Manager 2017

Minkaro

While I wait for the close of the window, and some nice person to make an update, I think I'm going to do a DOF challenge. Basically that entails handing over the transfer power to the DOF, and trying to do my best with who he gets for me.

I am allowed to sell players though. Going to do this as United (but in the first window I won't sell anybody, because I want to give them a chance to impress...unless someone makes an offer I like). The man I've chosen to entrust is Les Reed, as we both like the 4-2-3-1 formation, and also he has good scouting stats.

So...end of the 2016 summer transfer window, and Les has signed these:

Federico Bernadeschi from Fiorentina for £22m (potentially rising to £32.5m)
Oscar de Marcos from A. Bilbao for £34.5m

Bernadeschi looks good, 22 years old, inside forward on the right wing - good stats. Not too sure about de Marcos, but he is ridiculously versatile, so he'll probably get some appearances.

In the three league games before the close of the window Bernadeschi scored 3 goals, got an assist, and has an average rating of 9.05. De Marcos has an average of 7.87. I'll check back in here when I get the end of the winter window.

Edit: I have reached January. Fourth in the league (ten points behind the leaders). Still in the FA Cup, League Cup, and Europa League. Mata and Martial have 18 goals each, with Martial also having 16 assists and a 7.70 average rating.

Looking at the summer signings, Bernadeschi has been very hit and miss, with 10 goals and 6 assists in 28 games, but they've been coming in fits and starts, and he's been benched a number of times for Mkhitaryan. De Marcos has been solid, if not spectacular, with an average rating of 7.37 across 30 games, but I don't think he's ever had a "bad" game.

So, the January transfers. Outgoing were Schweinsteiger (Al-Ain, £2.8m), Rojo (Guanzhou, £11.75m), Darmian (Napoli, £17m), and Valencia (West Brom, £3.1m), with Rooney agreeing to move to Houston for £8.5m in a move that goes through in February.

Incoming.

Rok Vodisek from Olimpija for £145k, potentially rising to £350k. A young goalkeeper who I've immediately loaned to Burton, and will probably never play.

Angel Correa from Atletico Madrid for £15m potentially rising to £24m. A natural AMC, but I'm going to try training him as an Inside Forward on the left wing, to challenge Martial.

Joao Costa from Porto for £165k potentially rising to £350k. Another young goalkeeper. I DON'T WANT THEM, LES. STOP IT. He's actually got decent potential and a good determination stat, so I'm letting Romero tutor him.

Mario Mandzukic from Juventic for £15m potentially rising to £19.25m. I...don't know about this one. He's not the sort of player I'd usually sign, and because I've already got Ibrahimovic and Rashford fighting for one striker spot he might struggle for game time.

Finally, Nedim Bajrami from Grasshoppers for £300k potentially rising to £850k. A 17 year old centre midfielder who I don't really like the look of.

Les and me are not friends anymore.

Last edited:

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Man, that's an ace idea. You're toying with probably the least intuitive part of the game. Transfer AI is total garbage. Building a game around it sounds like a right laugh.

I'm going to give this a go over the weekend.

Minkaro

The season is complete. I'll find out who I'm having signed for me and stick that at the bottom of this post, but I'll say how the season went first.

We finished third in the league, never really looking like we'd challenge for the title (which was won by Arsenal). Arsenal were also the team to dump us out of the FA Cup, defeating us 3-0 in the semi-final. They also beat us in the League Cup (in the quarter finals, so my nonsense about us still being in it in my last post was...nonsense). Basically feck Arsenal.

Luckily our cunning tactic of avoiding Arsenal by playing in a different European competition to them worked wonders, as we won the Europa League, beating Schalke 3-1 in the final thanks to a Zlat-trick.

Mata finished the season as top scorer, scoring 31 goals, and also had the highest average rating at 7.64. Martial got 21 assists.

Let's see how the signings did...

Bernadeschi made 49 appearances in all competitions and scored 16 goals, getting 11 assists. His performances improved towards the end of the season, and he finished with an average rating of 7.31
De Marcos - continued his good form into February, when he suffered damaged cruciate ligaments that would keep him out for the rest of the season.
Vodisek - went straight on loan to Burton, where he kept 2 clean sheets in 19 games, average rating of 6.39. Dammit Les.
Correa - came on as a sub in two games, and existed somewhere on the pitch. Broke his leg in his first start. FFS Les.
Costa - made 4 starts in throwaway games, keeping one clean sheet. Not really fair to judge him on that.
Mandzukic - 5 goals and 4 assists in 9 games was a pleasant surprise. Adds a nice alternative to Zlatan.
Bajrami - played five games, at a very average rating of 6.6. I never expected him to do that well though, and this was just playing as a squad member to fill in for injuries here and there.

(as I go further into this I'll start sticking those lists into spoilers, because I'll have more and more "Les signings").

We scored more goals than any other team in the league, but conceded more than seven other teams, meaning that logically Les should try and strengthen our defence. Let's see...

Victor Lindelof from Benfica for £41m, potentially rising to £48.5m. Bit steep, but straight away we've got that defender I wanted. Strong at CB and at RB, which is nice.
Aaron Martin from Espanyol for £21m, potentially rising to £32m. A leftback, because if Shaw, Blind, AND Borthwick-Jackson are injured, we're fecked.
Benoit Costil on a free transfer. Because we needed a back-up goalkeeper after Romero left (although I was happy using Costa)
Hakim Ziyech from Ajax for £12.5m (£17m). Versatile attacking midfielder, probably get games just because of that.
Djibril Sidibe from Monaco for £31m (£45.m). Better than De Marcos according to the scout report, so that's nice.

(Les also made a £43m bid for Dybala, the absolute lunatic).

The outgoings see Young join Brighton for £1.9m, Lingard to West Ham for £18m (possibly rising to £26m), Romero to Wolves for £3.8m (potentially rising to £5.25m), and Ibra to Atletico for £2.3m (£3.6m). We'd had a falling out over his playing time.

I'll be back in January.

Acole9

Outstanding
I'm having trouble getting a couple of players to sign new contracts. Is there anyway I can use the editor to extend their contracts? How easy is the editor to use? X

hbgreg

The season is complete. I'll find out who I'm having signed for me and stick that at the bottom of this post, but I'll say how the season went first.

We finished third in the league, never really looking like we'd challenge for the title (which was won by Arsenal). Arsenal were also the team to dump us out of the FA Cup, defeating us 3-0 in the semi-final. They also beat us in the League Cup (in the quarter finals, so my nonsense about us still being in it in my last post was...nonsense). Basically feck Arsenal.

Luckily our cunning tactic of avoiding Arsenal by playing in a different European competition to them worked wonders, as we won the Europa League, beating Schalke 3-1 in the final thanks to a Zlat-trick.

Mata finished the season as top scorer, scoring 31 goals, and also had the highest average rating at 7.64. Martial got 21 assists.

Let's see how the signings did...

Bernadeschi made 49 appearances in all competitions and scored 16 goals, getting 11 assists. His performances improved towards the end of the season, and he finished with an average rating of 7.31
De Marcos - continued his good form into February, when he suffered damaged cruciate ligaments that would keep him out for the rest of the season.
Vodisek - went straight on loan to Burton, where he kept 2 clean sheets in 19 games, average rating of 6.39. Dammit Les.
Correa - came on as a sub in two games, and existed somewhere on the pitch. Broke his leg in his first start. FFS Les.
Costa - made 4 starts in throwaway games, keeping one clean sheet. Not really fair to judge him on that.
Mandzukic - 5 goals and 4 assists in 9 games was a pleasant surprise. Adds a nice alternative to Zlatan.
Bajrami - played five games, at a very average rating of 6.6. I never expected him to do that well though, and this was just playing as a squad member to fill in for injuries here and there.

(as I go further into this I'll start sticking those lists into spoilers, because I'll have more and more "Les signings").

We scored more goals than any other team in the league, but conceded more than seven other teams, meaning that logically Les should try and strengthen our defence. Let's see...

Victor Lindelof from Benfica for £41m, potentially rising to £48.5m. Bit steep, but straight away we've got that defender I wanted. Strong at CB and at RB, which is nice.
Aaron Martin from Espanyol for £21m, potentially rising to £32m. A leftback, because if Shaw, Blind, AND Borthwick-Jackson are injured, we're fecked.
Benoit Costil on a free transfer. Because we needed a back-up goalkeeper after Romero left (although I was happy using Costa)
Hakim Ziyech from Ajax for £12.5m (£17m). Versatile attacking midfielder, probably get games just because of that.
Djibril Sidibe from Monaco for £31m (£45.m). Better than De Marcos according to the scout report, so that's nice.

(Les also made a £43m bid for Dybala, the absolute lunatic).

The outgoings see Young join Brighton for £1.9m, Lingard to West Ham for £18m (possibly rising to £26m), Romero to Wolves for £3.8m (potentially rising to £5.25m), and Ibra to Atletico for £2.3m (£3.6m). We'd had a falling out over his playing time.

I'll be back in January.
Looking forward to seeing more of this.

Acole9

Outstanding
I've got the in game editor now, don't know why I've never got it before, great for updating the game.

Minkaro

Oh yeah, shit, I forgot to update on the DOF thing. I'll stick it all in a spoiler, because I'm starting to feel bad about making people scroll.

One big signing in January 2018 - Leon Goretzka joins for £63m from Schalke (or Gelsenkirchen if you're going to be all Football Manager about it), and IMMEDIATELY tears his hamstring. IMMEDIATELY.

Anyway, we're third in the league, six points behind leaders Man City. Went out of both domestic cups in the third round (to Arsenal in the FA Cup and City in the EFL), but we're doing well in the Champion's League, six wins out of six in a group that featured Bayern.

So the signings. I'll start with the guys in their second seasons with us:

• Bernadeschi - his average rating so far is worse than last season, but he's got over twice as many assists in the league (9 this season to 4 in the entirety of last season), He's playing more games as well, so I'm happy with him, despite the numbers.
  • De Marcos - now struggling for game time with the arrivals of Sidibe and Lindelof. He's doing OK, but I'd probably try and sell him at the end of the season if I thought I could make back the £34.5m we spent on him.
  • Rok Vodisek - has kept 6 clean sheets from 33 games for Wigan in the Championship. I don't really care, it's not like he's ever going to play for United.
  • Angel Correa - after managing a whopping three appearances last year, he's raised it to a massive 12 this time round (although 9 of them have been off the bench). He's doing OK as a back-up option, scored his first two goals against Maribor in the CL.
  • Joao Costa - played one cup game, conceded three goals.
  • Mario Mandzukic - seven goals and six assists in 24 games (nine sub appearances amongst them). It's OK, but he's lucky that Rashford and Mata are doing so well.
  • Nedim Bajrami - he's on loan at Zurich. Not even they want to play him.

And the second season lot:

• Victor Lindelof - played nine games before injuring his achilles tendon and missing four months. He got a man of the match in one of them.
  • Aaron Martin - he's also only played nine games, but that's mostly because Shaw is the established LB in the team. He's done OK when he's actually played.
  • Benoit Costil - I don't know why we signed him. He's only played two games, average rating of 6.40, and conceded five goals.
  • Hakim Ziyech - he's mostly completely average, but has these occasional brilliant games. I think maybe getting him out on loan next season is best, but as he's 24 it'd be a sink or swim situation, if he failed then he'd probably be sold.
  • Djibril Sidibe - yeah, he's doing OK. Not bad, but not brilliant

Looking at the appearance numbers I've got loads of players who've played about half the potential games because I'm trying so hard to rotate and keep them happy. Think I might have to cut that out if I want to win the league. I'll be back when we get to the end of the season (or the end of the next window, more likely).

Minkaro

I have no idea how I still have a job.

Second half of the season was awful, and we ended up finishing fifth. Not only did I manage to keep my job (they didn't even suggest I might be sacked), but I managed to hold onto all my star players despite the drop back into Europa League football.

Our Champion's League journey was halted by Juventus who thumped us 4-2 on aggregate, our second being a late consolation in the second leg.

OK then, let's look at Les's signings, starting with the first season. With these I'll do a comparison of 1st season vs. 2nd season if I think it's relevant.

• Federico Bernadeschi - first season saw him score 16 goals and get 11 assists in 49 games, with an average rating of 7.19. Second season has lower goals (11) but one more assist, and an average rating of 7.20, and that's in 45 games. Double figures both times round, hopefully he can keep that up.
  • Oscar De Marcos - one goal, five assists, and an average rating of 7.33 in 35 games the first season. No goals, no assists, and an average rating of 7.03 in 17 the second. The arrivals of Sidibe and Lindelof really hurt his chances, and he's actually gone out on loan to Fiorentina for the third season, and probably won't be a first team Man United player again.
  • Rok Vodisek - who cares?
  • Angel Correa - you know how I said he'd made twelve appearances in January in my last post? Yeah, he didn't make any more. We signed him for £15m, and sold him for £19.5m to West Ham, who are really fecking stupid.
  • Joao Costa - only had that one cup game last season, and has gone on loan to Charlton in the Championship for the third season.
  • Mario Mandzukic - five goals and four assists in nine games, average rating of 7.59 in his first half a season. With Ibrahimovic leaving, I thought the path would have opened up for Mario to take over. Nope, seven goals and six assists in 31 games, and an average of 6.88 lead to him leaving this summer for Sporting Lisbon in an £8.5m deal.
  • Nedim Bajrami - on loan at Dundee now. Not entirely convinced he really exists.

Second season signings:
  • Victor Lindelof - struggled with injury first season, only making eleven appearances overall, with an average rating of 6.95. He's started this season strongly (it's only three games old, but I'm counting it anyway).
  • Aaron Martin - one goal and two assists in 15 games, and an average rating of 7.21. I should really play him more, I'm sure he actually did better than Shaw. (After a quick check, they had the exact same average rating).
  • Benoit Costil - he might even get to play some cup games this season with Costa on loan.
  • Hakim Ziyech - six goals and two assists with an average rating of 7.07 in 28 games is...ok? I keep thinking "oh, he's doing well" and then I remember he's 25 and really should be further along than that. Juventus and PSG were both interested in him during the window (the former offering £30m for him), and I'm slightly suspicious that he's actually good, so I'm giving him another season to prove it.
  • Djibril Sidibe - 28 games, one assist, average rating of 7.29. He made the rightback spot mostly his own last season, although as I said above Lindelof is starting to compete more for it. It'll be interesting to see which one comes out on top.
  • Leon Goretzka - managed to return from his torn hamstring just in time for the last four games of the season, where he got an assist and an average rating of 6.95. Bit harsh to judge him on that, really.

So here's who I sold in the summer of 2018:

• Marouane Fellaini to Lekhwiya for £800k. I think his contract was weeks away from ending.
  • Angel Correa to West Ham for £19.5m.
  • Mario Mandzukic to Sporting for £8.5m
And Les brought:

• Jonathan Tah from Leverkusen for £45m (£57m). Big fee, but I've signed him before and he's done well for me, so I'm happy with this one.
  • Samuele Iodice from Carpi for £1.9m (£6.25m). Regen striker, good determination, first touch, finishing, and physical attributes. He's gone on loan to Plymouth.
  • Andrea Belotti from Torino for £30.5m (£41.5m). He's got six goals in his first three games, so if he could keep that up it'd be lovely.
  • Edoardo Goldaniga rom Juventus for £13m (£20.5m). He played seven games last season for Juventus and was rubbish. Les, what are you doing?

So that's that. Back in January

hbgreg

I have no idea how I still have a job.

Second half of the season was awful, and we ended up finishing fifth. Not only did I manage to keep my job (they didn't even suggest I might be sacked), but I managed to hold onto all my star players despite the drop back into Europa League football.

Our Champion's League journey was halted by Juventus who thumped us 4-2 on aggregate, our second being a late consolation in the second leg.

OK then, let's look at Les's signings, starting with the first season. With these I'll do a comparison of 1st season vs. 2nd season if I think it's relevant.

• Federico Bernadeschi - first season saw him score 16 goals and get 11 assists in 49 games, with an average rating of 7.19. Second season has lower goals (11) but one more assist, and an average rating of 7.20, and that's in 45 games. Double figures both times round, hopefully he can keep that up.
  • Oscar De Marcos - one goal, five assists, and an average rating of 7.33 in 35 games the first season. No goals, no assists, and an average rating of 7.03 in 17 the second. The arrivals of Sidibe and Lindelof really hurt his chances, and he's actually gone out on loan to Fiorentina for the third season, and probably won't be a first team Man United player again.
  • Rok Vodisek - who cares?
  • Angel Correa - you know how I said he'd made twelve appearances in January in my last post? Yeah, he didn't make any more. We signed him for £15m, and sold him for £19.5m to West Ham, who are really fecking stupid.
  • Joao Costa - only had that one cup game last season, and has gone on loan to Charlton in the Championship for the third season.
  • Mario Mandzukic - five goals and four assists in nine games, average rating of 7.59 in his first half a season. With Ibrahimovic leaving, I thought the path would have opened up for Mario to take over. Nope, seven goals and six assists in 31 games, and an average of 6.88 lead to him leaving this summer for Sporting Lisbon in an £8.5m deal.
  • Nedim Bajrami - on loan at Dundee now. Not entirely convinced he really exists.

Second season signings:
  • Victor Lindelof - struggled with injury first season, only making eleven appearances overall, with an average rating of 6.95. He's started this season strongly (it's only three games old, but I'm counting it anyway).
  • Aaron Martin - one goal and two assists in 15 games, and an average rating of 7.21. I should really play him more, I'm sure he actually did better than Shaw. (After a quick check, they had the exact same average rating).
  • Benoit Costil - he might even get to play some cup games this season with Costa on loan.
  • Hakim Ziyech - six goals and two assists with an average rating of 7.07 in 28 games is...ok? I keep thinking "oh, he's doing well" and then I remember he's 25 and really should be further along than that. Juventus and PSG were both interested in him during the window (the former offering £30m for him), and I'm slightly suspicious that he's actually good, so I'm giving him another season to prove it.
  • Djibril Sidibe - 28 games, one assist, average rating of 7.29. He made the rightback spot mostly his own last season, although as I said above Lindelof is starting to compete more for it. It'll be interesting to see which one comes out on top.
  • Leon Goretzka - managed to return from his torn hamstring just in time for the last four games of the season, where he got an assist and an average rating of 6.95. Bit harsh to judge him on that, really.

So here's who I sold in the summer of 2018:

• Marouane Fellaini to Lekhwiya for £800k. I think his contract was weeks away from ending.
  • Angel Correa to West Ham for £19.5m.
  • Mario Mandzukic to Sporting for £8.5m
And Les brought:

• Jonathan Tah from Leverkusen for £45m (£57m). Big fee, but I've signed him before and he's done well for me, so I'm happy with this one.
  • Samuele Iodice from Carpi for £1.9m (£6.25m). Regen striker, good determination, first touch, finishing, and physical attributes. He's gone on loan to Plymouth.
  • Andrea Belotti from Torino for £30.5m (£41.5m). He's got six goals in his first three games, so if he could keep that up it'd be lovely.
  • Edoardo Goldaniga rom Juventus for £13m (£20.5m). He played seven games last season for Juventus and was rubbish. Les, what are you doing?

So that's that. Back in January
Wow, Les has been really hit and miss.

LeftyBlaster

Just finished my first season, finally! Won the treble; EPL, Euro final against Juve, and FA against Liverpool!

Made 3 signings after the FA Cup final; got Lukaku in for 65, Krannevitter for 11.75m, and Widmer for 9. Have been incorporating Angel Gomes into the senior team since the second half of the season.

Macern

Pee pee pants
Anyone fancy starting an online game together? 6 people for instance. We could control a top 6 side each, or even delete the sides, make our own replacement clubs and draft the players from the teams between us.

We could do maybe an hour every weekend, that should get us through a few rounds. Or maybe an hour two days a week. Assistant manager handles the team if you can't make it one day.

Anyone interested?

NinjaFletch

Finally picked this up.

Have managed to create an absolute abomination of a side as Hamburg St Pauli.

Got promoted first season by absolute fluke and expected to go straight back down. Ended up surviving by cobbling together some sort of Frankenstein's monster esque mismatch of loanees despite conceding 64 goals in our 34 games, and then spent all of my money on my defence for this season. Currently sitting 4th despite having scored 17 goals in 16 games with the lowest average possession stats, lowest shots on target, 14th least goals etc...

I'm like David Moyes' wet dream.

LeftyBlaster

Finally picked this up.

Have managed to create an absolute abomination of a side as Hamburg St Pauli.

Got promoted first season by absolute fluke and expected to go straight back down. Ended up surviving by cobbling together some sort of Frankenstein's monster esque mismatch of loanees despite conceding 64 goals in our 34 games, and then spent all of my money on my defence for this season. Currently sitting 4th despite having scored 17 goals in 16 games with the lowest average possession stats, lowest shots on target, 14th least goals etc...

I'm like David Moyes' wet dream.
Not till you sign Jagielka and Fellaini :drool:

TakeMeHome

TakeMeHome
Had to reformat the hard drive on my laptop so lost all my saves, tactics and graphics :(
I've started a new save with Spurs with a tactic downloaded from one of the FM forums but it does not feel the same and I'm counting the days to the FM18 beta

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Things faster than the speed of light:

- The last 10 minutes plus stoppage time when you are losing.

Minkaro

Things faster than the speed of light:

- The last 10 minutes plus stoppage time when you are losing.
Every time. I throw on my sub striker/AM in the 80th minute, then the clock just zooms to the 92nd minute just so I can watch them miss a sitter at the end.

Acole9

Outstanding
I don't want the new one to come out yet, I'm really getting into this now, I always seem to do it towards the end of a version.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff

What a comeback :drool: We were joint top at kick-off.

Reached the semi final of the FA Cup and lost out on the league by 1 point in my first season.

GazTheLegend

I’ve been playing a lot of this lately and have taken Aldershot Town to the Champions League :D

It took me about 15seasons worth of playtime.

AMA.

I have some questions for the veterans among you though:

• Do you bother with opposition instructions? I set my assistant to do it pretty much every game but tbh eventually every team is so loaded with class players that tight marking and closing down seem like they would be counterproductive
  • Do you train your senior players yourselves or leave it to your assistant?
  • Is there a default formation that works for you? I had a lot of joy with an attritional narrow heavy press 4-3-1-2 but it was diabolically shit to watch. Won two FA cups as the underdog this way though.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff

9 more games to break the record.

To the above Q's. I always set my assman to do the oppo instructions, I train players myself only if I want to change their position or improve an attribute they're weak in and I always play a wide 4-2-3-1.

The Stain

Soccer Manager's Highwayman
Do you bother with opposition instructions? I set my assistant to do it pretty much every game but tbh eventually every team is so loaded with class players that tight marking and closing down seem like they would be counterproductive
Yeah. I use them to enhance my custom tactics (i usually don't use tighter marking, prefer the players to press the passing lanes). For example; why wouldn't you want to steer the opposition players towards using their weaker foot (except the wingers, i'd rather they cut inside since my tactics are narrow and crossing is overpowered)?
Do you train your senior players yourselves or leave it to your assistant?
Yes. I also set all individual training (youth teams as well). That way you ensure that the players develop the attributes you want them to improve.
Is there a default formation that works for you? I had a lot of joy with an attritional narrow heavy press 4-3-1-2 but it was diabolically shit to watch. Won two FA cups as the underdog this way though.
I use the same formation home and away but they differ slightly. Basically, if you find a tactic that gets you consistent wins away then that same tactic should destroy teams at home. I tweak instructions in game as well if i'm struggling to create chances. For example, my home-tactics usually smash the bigger teams at home but sometimes i need to adjust instructions against parked buses (play wider, drop the backline to invite attacks and let them decide where to focus attacks (default is exploit the middle)).

-

Usually don't play with bigger teams but felt the urge to manage Utd. Went nuts in the transfer market the second season and signed Dybala and Alli. Dybala is a freak! Won the Ballon d'Or.

I'll screen this before i lose to City away.

Uniquim

Playing as Athletic Bilbao. I lost both my goalscorers in the summer (Aduriz, Williams), and one of my main defenders (Laporte), so the first half of the season was very frustrating since I struggled to find goals. It's not like I can buy just anyone with the transfer restrictions. I tinkered with the tactics to provide better penetration in attack, and promoted Íñigo Vicente who luckily started scoring a lot of goals after playing a couple of games in the first team. The tactical change helped a lot in terms of creating chances.

I've also struggled in both seasons to beat the big sides, so when I got Barcelona lined up 3 times in 4 fixtures, I was prepared for 3 defeats. Last season I lost three times, and drew once against Barcelona. (1-4, 0-1, 1-2, 1-1)

So this feels great:

(Sevilla are having a horrible season, so I was able to put out a rotated side in that game.)

Back up in to 5th in the league again now too, trying to close a 5-point gap to Málaga & Atlético Madrid for that 4th Champions League spot, which is where I finished last season. If I can keep most of my players over the summer, next season might be really good, since I have a lot of young players playing for the first team this season.

I'm in the Copa del Rey semi finals too. I'm playing Villarreal (8th in the league). The other two teams are Atlético Madrid (4th), Real Sociedad (20th). I haven't played Atlético Madrid since my team hit better form, but I'm confident about meeting the two other teams, so I might have a chance for a trophy.

----

Also my youth side is completely bossing their league:

ijc

I am in season 2025 with Fulham. Brought them up to the Premier League in my first season - came 2nd in the Championship. First 3 seasons in the PL I used them to consolidate and get in the funds. Now I'm trying to gun for the league. So far the highest I got is 2nd. United are beasts on it. Won the league 5 times in a row. I did win a few cups though - Europa League twice, League Cup once, FA Cup twice. I also have a good core young English group - playing a counter-attacking traditional 4-3-3, a-la Liverpool. It's joyful to watch, but you need to be solid at the back!

PeteManic

Playing as Athletic Bilbao. I lost both my goalscorers in the summer (Aduriz, Williams), and one of my main defenders (Laporte), so the first half of the season was very frustrating since I struggled to find goals. It's not like I can buy just anyone with the transfer restrictions. I tinkered with the tactics to provide better penetration in attack, and promoted Íñigo Vicente who luckily started scoring a lot of goals after playing a couple of games in the first team. The tactical change helped a lot in terms of creating chances.

I've Also Struggled in both seasons to beat the big sides, so when i got Barcelona lined up 3 times in 4 fixtures, I was prepared for 3 defeats. Last season I lost three times, and drew once against Barcelona. (1-4, 0-1, 1-2, 1-1)

So this feels great:

(Sevilla are having a horrible season, so I was able to put out a rotated side in that game.)

Back up in two 5th in the league again now too, trying two close a five-point gap two Malaga and Atletico Madrid for That 4th Champions League spot, wooden where I finished last season. If I can keep most of my players over the summer, next season might be really good, since I have a lot of young players playing for the first team this season.

I'm in the Copa del Rey semi-finals too. I'm playing Villarreal (8th in the league). The other two teams are Atletico Madrid (4th), Real Sociedad (20th). I have not Played Atletico Madrid since my team hit better form, but I'm confident about meeting the two other teams, so I might have a chance for a trophy.
Very nice post.

Do you think that the game helps you in this situation? Do you think the basque players are overrated to help? I'm in the mood for a Spanish challenge and it's either going to be Athletic or Atletico. If the youth team is filled with potential first teamers, then I think I'll give in to my romanticism and go for Athletic.

Uniquim

Very nice post.

Do you think that the game helps you in this situation? Do you think the basque players are overrated to help? I'm in the mood for a Spanish challenge and it's either going to be Athletic or Atletico. If the youth team is filled with potential first teamers, then I think I'll give in to my romanticism and go for Athletic.
There are some basque talents around, and you should have a okay amount of young players available, but Real Sociedad has quite a few of the good basque talents too, and they are extremely unlikely to sell to you, so for some you'll have to wait until they change club and hope they'll become available later. Luckily there are 5 basque teams in the Top tier (Osasuna, Real Sociedad, Eibar, Athletic Bilbao & Alavés)

I think it's a lot to do with making it work with the players you've got. There are some talents, but you'll be in for some frustration too. You'll start off with an decent midfield, but one that lacks depth in players. Luckily in midfield you'll have options. And if you lose Williams like I do, with Aduriz being old, strikers are hard to come by.

There's also a lot of older players. Some that are already past 30. Several others that are closing in on 30. So there is a big need for bringing younger players into the first team fairly quickly. The main goalscorer in real life is 36, the biggest attacking talent at your club will be targeted fairly early one.

Basically it'll be very important to keep your players, and to rotate the team a lot so you won't lose players over unhappiness. And also to continually bring younger players into the team.

----

There is a slight 'bug' that will help you if you choose to use it. It seems you are able to sign non-basque spanish players when they are still under a certain age, and the game just adds basque as a second nation upon signing them. I did it once to see if it worked, and it did, but I try to steer away from doing so, as I want my save to be difficult, but you could also think of it as someone has moved away, but has basque origins etc. to make up for the game not really generating foreign basque players. I haven't even seen new French basque players yet, like Aymeric Laporte.

In real life, in addition to Basque Uruguayans (immigration), there are some spread around the world with basque heritage, including some of those you'll have in your academy, like Ander Eguíluz (USA) & Christophe Atangana (Cameroon)

----

If you decide to go with Athletic Bilbao, one thing I did is to go over who has release clauses and offer them new contracts without release clauses, just so Real Madrid won't suddenly sign someone you wanted to keep on to. Also, I generally offer players new contracts early, so none of them has less than 2 years remaining unless I plan to let them go. It can really hurt you to lose players unnecessarily since your options for replacements are usually limited.

One plus, is that Athletic Bilbao has a B & C team, and a lot of players will be more than happy playing for the B team. Try to get them up into the La Liga 1|2|3 (2nd tier) as quickly as possible, and you can have them playing at a decent level every week and still have them available.

Last edited:

PeteManic

There are some basque talents around, and you should have a okay amount of young players available, but Real Sociedad has quite a few of the good basque talents too, and they are extremely unlikely to sell to you, so for some you'll have to wait until they change club and hope they'll become available later. Luckily there are 5 basque teams in the Top tier (Osasuna, Real Sociedad, Eibar, Athletic Bilbao & Alavés)

I think it's a lot to do with making it work with the players you've got. There are some talents, but you'll be in for some frustration too. You'll start off with an decent midfield, but one that lacks depth in players. Luckily in midfield you'll have options. And if you lose Williams like I do, with Aduriz being old, strikers are hard to come by.

There's also a lot of older players. Some that are already past 30. Several others that are closing in on 30. So there is a big need for bringing younger players into the first team fairly quickly. The main goalscorer in real life is 36, the biggest attacking talent at your club will be targeted fairly early one.

Basically it'll be very important to keep your players, and to rotate the team a lot so you won't lose players over unhappiness. And also to continually bring younger players into the team.

----

There is a slight 'bug' that will help you if you choose to use it. It seems you are able to sign non-basque spanish players when they are still under a certain age, and the game just adds basque as a second nation upon signing them. I did it once to see if it worked, and it did, but I try to steer away from doing so, as I want my save to be difficult, but you could also think of it as someone has moved away, but has basque origins etc. to make up for the game not really generating foreign basque players. I haven't even seen new French basque players yet, like Aymeric Laporte.

In real life, in addition to Basque Uruguayans (immigration), there are some spread around the world with basque heritage, including some of those you'll have in your academy, like Ander Eguíluz (USA) & Christophe Atangana (Cameroon)

----

If you decide to go with Athletic Bilbao, one thing I did is to go over who has release clauses and offer them new contracts without release clauses, just so Real Madrid won't suddenly sign someone you wanted to keep on to. Also, I generally offer players new contracts early, so none of them has less than 2 years remaining unless I plan to let them go. It can really hurt you to lose players unnecessarily since your options for replacements are usually limited.

One plus, is that Athletic Bilbao has a B & C team, and a lot of players will be more than happy playing for the B team. Try to get them up into the La Liga 1|2|3 (2nd tier) as quickly as possible, and you can have them playing at a decent level every week and still have them available.

Thank you very much for this. This is fantastic. You have persuaded me to try Athletic. I did start a game with them in FM 16 or 17, but I wouldn't let anyone leave (Munain, Williams, Laporte, etc) and so the whole team turned against me! And then I was sacked! Haha! But I will try again and plan for them all to leave. I like the contract idea you suggest. Let's see how it goes!!

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Played this yesterday while hungover. Forgot how annoying it is when you lose some progress (laptop died) on this kind of game. A draw with City away, a penalty shootout win against Liverpool in the cup and 3-0 up against Chelsea when it died. Rubbish

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
Won the CL 3 times in a row with Porto against a 9 man United in the final. Allegri teams are tough to beat but they couldn't handle our football.

I'm working on an overhaul to make next season more challenging. Will build a team of workhorses in every position.