Gaming Football Manager 2020 (PC, Mac, Switch, Android, iOS, Stadia)

Ludens the Red

Got promoted for the third season in a row in my York game and am now in League 1, however it seems league football has been canceled as it's now September and no fixtures have came out.
The game seems to not be able to correctly process the World Cup in 2022. I assume you’re at the start of that season. I don’t have fm20 but in fm19 I encountered horrific problems the 2022 December World Cup. Ridiculous fixture congestion then had 17 players on international duty for the Cl final. Sports interactive can be so amateur at times.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
City just bought Kane for 204m in my second season :eek:

Nickosaur

Finally won the Champions League in my 7th season at United. Took a stupid amount of spending on world class players, my attack is so stacked that Rashford didn't even get a spot in the CL squad and Martial is a sub only.

I have 2 world class players in nearly every position and do a full rotation every game. In terms of my first choice 11, only De Gea and Dalot of all people (better than AWB for me) are current United players in there. Pogba was first choice too until very recently but he's getting on a bit now.

I don't really bother with detailed tactics, just play best players in their best positions so I just rely on my big money signings! I don't use the youth as much as I should as a United manager, which is a bit of a downside. I offloaded Greenwood and a whole bunch of others, they just didn't make the cut vs my superstars. Gomes is my squad though, as a sub. I do have a world class regen midfielder who came through the ranks though, which is a big success story.
Sounds pretty realistic tbh!

Minkaro

City just bought Kane for 204m in my second season :eek:
They've been scouting him loads on my save, only in my first season so I'll keep an eye on that. Might be one of those signings that "always" seems to happen.

Also on this save Leicester are 18th. Planning a big raid if they go down

Adam-Utd

They've been scouting him loads on my save, only in my first season so I'll keep an eye on that. Might be one of those signings that "always" seems to happen.

Also on this save Leicester are 18th. Planning a big raid if they go down
Yeah clubs usually seem to have pre determined targets at first.

That's interesting, they did alright in my save, top 8 approx. Funnily enough West ham got the top 4 in my first year :lol:

Stevondo8

What we reckon then? Worth buying this as a Christmas present for myself? Last FM I got I think was 17 so has it changed much since then?

Nickosaur

What we reckon then? Worth buying this as a Christmas present for myself? Last FM I got I think was 17 so has it changed much since then?
I think I last played FM17 too. I plan on getting it for xmas too, and downloaded the demo at the weekend to give it a go.

It's taken a while to get used to it, there's been quite a few changes (as you might expect in 3 years) but looks really indepth which is great.

Art Vandelay

So the fixture list has gone mental on me. No weekend matches for a few weeks, then I have Arsenal on a Wednesday night followed by Europa League the following night. Bit shit really.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
I started a save in the German second division. Picked Wehen Wiesbaden as I've been to that part of Germany before and they're also rated as the third-worst team in the league so a nice challenge. I considered a team like HSV but I thought that would be way too easy.

Going really nicely so far. P7 W3 D2 L2. Also knocked out Bochum in the cup away from home.

Had some real injury problems at CB though as I started with 1st window transfers disabled so I've just had to make do with what I have.

Art Vandelay

Anyone had much success converting Greenwood into an inside forward on the right full time? He looks like he has everything he needs to play there and I'm thinking about training him to play there long term as Chiesa has been a disappointment on the right wing. I fear wasting his potential though.

Last edited:

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Started off ridiculously well in my 3rd season in the with Bristol City, first in the prem. Got 20 points from the opening 10 games, with big wins against Arsenal and Chelsea and a draw with City. I then proceeded to get 1 point from the next 10 to close out the year and get to the transfer window where I finally got some desperately needed attaching reinforcements. Bought Jordan Ibe for 350k and some Mikey Johnston (Celtic winger) for 12m, and the first game with them I won 3-0 away to Burnley so hopefully that pulled me out of the drought. Probably need to focus on the midfield, as well as my striker since I mainly use Brewster who is only on loan (and hasn't been great since we got to the prem).

PeteManic

Couldn't resist temptation and got FM after a few years out of the loop.

First window:
In
Ruben Neves (new no.7)
Bruno Fernandes (new no. 8)
Ibra (Haaland wasn't interested...)
Darren Fletcher (mentor role mainly)

Out
Matic (to Leicester)
Rojo (to Wolves)

Does anyone NOT play a wide counter-attacking formation with United? I tried a narrow 4-3-3 and diamond during pre-season, but the match engine didn't like it. Seems like it favours 4-2-3-1 or 4-1-2-3?

PeteManic

It's my first since FM18 and there are quite a few improvements. It's a much better playing experience. And completely addictive.

AFC NimbleThumb

Decided to get FM Touch, I like this iteration over having to drag around a laptop.

Just finished first season as United.

League - Won on goal difference over Liverpool. was 5 points ahead with 4 games to go. Drew at Home to Brighton 0-0; lost 2-1 to Chelsea having gone 1-0 up & dominating. Drew with Liverpool 1-1. Drew 0-0 on final day with Bournemouth.

The way my form dropped off a cliff suddenly was shocking. I did an experiment & saved ahead of the Chelsea game when you’re encouraged to hold a meeting; chose all 4 options & each returned the disappointing result nonsense so i reloaded & skipped all together. Why encourage me to do something that can have no benefit.

Was abit raging how the season ended as it put a dampener on the game for me; the results just seemed to play towards the close run race narrative & was really unejoyable - felt stupidly scripted, not scoring a goal against Brighton or Bournemouth having stormed the league at full strength made no sense. I can understand a wobble but that seemed extreme.

UEL - Round of 16, lost to Roma! 2-0 down in first leg, scraped a 2-2. Second leg, 2-0 up in 20 minutes & ended up losing 3-2 in Extra Time.

FA Cup - 4th Round, list to Bournemouth away 2-1.

League Cup - lost 2-1 to Arsenal in the Quarter finals.

Not too fussed about Cup competitions, I like to have a big squad so I play my back ups in europe & domestic competitions.

Transfers In - [I am Mourinho on roids, only 2 of my signings below are under 180cm; I set my filter at that & only got Costa because he’s a bargain to start and Dembele because EVERYONE wanted him so I thought I’m having him. My belief is bigger, stronger & more athletic than my opponent so even Bruno Fernandes will be getting ditched after my second season & he’s 181cm / Telles gets a pass at 181cm because he’s threat from set pieces]

Telles - £27mil [181cm]
Kondogbia - £35mil [188cm]
Goretzka - £37mil [£189cm]
Declan Rice - £37mil [185cm]
Wanyama - Loan [184cm] [cancelled in the Winter window, signed as insurance]
Doug Costa - Loan [172cm] [was amazing but he doesn’t fit my profile of player so no chance of an extension]
Upamecano - £42mil [185cm]
Karanko Dembele - £10.5mil [161cm, will have to become Leo Messi to play for me, gave him quite a few cup appearances & he did nothing special]
Pellegri - Loan [188cm] [For some reason I also made an offer to buy him for £44mil after the season, he’s talented but I overspent on the whim he may come good. 9 goals in all comps with a lot of sub appearances so did well for me]

Mid-Season

Bruno Fernandes - £44mil [181cm]

End of Season

Sergei Minko Savic - £44mil [191cm]
Havertz - £47.5mil [186cm]

Transfers Out [I prefer loans in the first season, build up value from them playing then sell off heading into the second season]

Fred - Loan / Lazio
Chong - Loan
Mata - Loan / Everton
Matic - West Ham [obligation to buy £15mil]
Gomes - Loan / Middlesbrough
Young - Loan / Watford
Rojo - Loan / Wolves
Jones - Loan / Sevilla

Mid season

Dan James - Loan / Salzburg
Mensah - Loan / AZ Alkmar

Anyway, the reason I began this post was to ask the question - is buying Haaland a cheat move? He’s available for £30mil-ish & is heads & shoulders ‘the FM player’ this year but I feel a little dirty getting him.

Berbaclass

Was looking at Camavinga but I've just come across this guy :eek:

Got the board to sign him for me.

Berbaclass

This is how it's looking for me 1.5 years in. Came 3rd my first season behind a superhuman Man City.

My next two games are pretty big...

Adam-Utd

Was looking at Camavinga but I've just come across this guy :eek:

Got the board to sign him for me.

He looks like a decent back up option.

Camavinga IMO is better than him already at 17 on my game. I'm playing him in the first team already as Mctominay damaged his knee ligaments and I really needed a DM. He's doing excellently already!.

Looks like they could work together nicely though with Pogba as an ADV P

Has anybody tried out Mikel Oyarzabal? my scouts rate him extremely highly but his stats look well rounded, but nothing "special". They say he would be the best AMC in the squad, and I have Eriksen / Fernandes already.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
How many of you play this game without cheating (restarting the game when you get a crap result)? Be honest.

Nickosaur

How many of you play this game without cheating (restarting the game when you get a crap result)? Be honest.
When I was younger I did that all the time :lol:

Only time I am tempted to reload a save is if one of my young/key players gets a really nasty injury. If it's a month or two, no worries. I just hate the thought of it ruining my favourite players development.

Adam-Utd

Used to do this all the time and win every match.

Now I play it online with a friend and we've made an agreement that no matter what - no restarts.

It's much better that way, makes a win / loss actually feel like it.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Used to do this all the time and win every match.

Now I play it online with a friend and we've made an agreement that no matter what - no restarts.

It's much better that way, makes a win / loss actually feel like it.

I agree with you - I used to do it all the time but stopped doing it in the last few years - much better not to do it and much more challenging/rewarding as a result.

I see the list of apparent football managing genius's on this thread who have incredible club careers and wonder if they may perhaps have been cheating? Ohhh I'm such a cynic.

Adam-Utd

Anyone had much success converting Greenwood into an inside forward on the right full time? He looks like he has everything he needs to play there and I'm thinking about training him to play there long term as Chiesa has been a disappointment on the right wing. I fear wasting his potential though.
I actually just started doing this as Lingard is off at the end of the season, and I thought it would be a good idea for Greenwood to get more games.

What do you mean by wasting his potential? does retraining positions limit him somehow?
I agree with you - I used to do it all the time but stopped doing it in the last few years - much better not to do it and much more challenging/rewarding as a result.

I see the list of apparent football managing genius's on this thread who have incredible club careers and wonder if they may perhaps have been cheating? Ohhh I'm such a cynic.
I'm sure most have done it at some point. the temptation of saving before the CL final for example would be too much.

My friend is playing as Chelsea and in our first season he struggled with the transfer ban, he nearly got sacked as he went on a poor run it was hilarious :lol: fair play though he managed to turn it around and is having a really strong 2nd season so far.

2E_MUFC

Would really like it on disc but seeing as it’s so expensive this year, it looks like I’m going to have to get it on download. Where is the best place to buy it from?

Adam-Utd

Would really like it on disc but seeing as it’s so expensive this year, it looks like I’m going to have to get it on download. Where is the best place to buy it from?
www.cdkeys.com

Why would you prefer it on disc? It cloud saves already so you can literally play it anywhere as long as you have steam downloaded.

2E_MUFC

www.cdkeys.com

Why would you prefer it on disc? It cloud saves already so you can literally play it anywhere as long as you have steam downloaded.
I just have the rest on disc so would like to add to the collection haha. So when you buy it from there, I’m assuming they give you a code and you download from steam?

Adam-Utd

I just have the rest on disc so would like to add to the collection haha. So when you buy it from there, I’m assuming they give you a code and you download from steam?
Yep! they E-mail you a link and then the code is displayed on the site.

Used them a few times so can vouch they're legit. I think it's only £26 or so.

Berbaclass

He looks like a decent back up option.

Camavinga IMO is better than him already at 17 on my game. I'm playing him in the first team already as Mctominay damaged his knee ligaments and I really needed a DM. He's doing excellently already!.

Looks like they could work together nicely though with Pogba as an ADV P

Has anybody tried out Mikel Oyarzabal? my scouts rate him extremely highly but his stats look well rounded, but nothing "special". They say he would be the best AMC in the squad, and I have Eriksen / Fernandes already.
It's very close on my game. Camavinga edges him defensively and aerially but Balo is better going forward and technically.

Since I've signed Balo his displaced Goretzka almost immediately and has become one of the best CM in the world. I've had a look at Camavinga a few times since and he's just not as good and Rennes wanted too much for me (100M+). Might go in for him next season possibly.

I currently have Tonali in my DM as a BWM as I got him for something daft like 10 Mil and he's been great.

Here's a side by side of them in my save.

Berbaclass

That Baro guy looks insane. How much did he cost you??
£55 Million. I think he had a release clause and Porto would not negotiate below it. Fearing that I'd maybe lose out on him I just paid it. One of my best signings so far, he has been immense, such a big game player!

Adam-Utd

It's very close on my game. Camavinga edges him defensively and aerially but Balo is better going forward and technically.

Since I've signed Balo his displaced Goretzka almost immediately and has become one of the best CM in the world. I've had a look at Camavinga a few times since and he's just not as good and Rennes wanted too much for me (100M+). Might go in for him next season possibly.

I currently have Tonali in my DM as a BWM as I got him for something daft like 10 Mil and he's been great.

Here's a side by side of them in my save.

Very interesting! i'll have to check him out tonight. As you say they look almost identical apart from their defence/offensive stats. I think they'd make a great pairing.

Cheers for the heads up.

Art Vandelay

I actually just started doing this as Lingard is off at the end of the season, and I thought it would be a good idea for Greenwood to get more games.

What do you mean by wasting his potential? does retraining positions limit him somehow?
I dunno, I just assumed having to work on a new position/role would take away from his basic training but I could be wrong.

I'm tired of the moaning already, it's nearly always Tuanzebe or Wan Bissaka with some form of complaint about quickness training. Not enough, too much, not enough, too much or individual training is not working which is really their fecking fault not mine. I mean it's a weakness I told them to work on and they moan that they are shit at working on it, the absolute pricks. A new complaint is that pre-season training has started too early this year. They add these new reasons for players to moan, yet have a match engine that is 80% players belting the ball into the side netting. Priorities.

Berbaclass

Just ruined my wage budget because I got offered the chance to sign Messi for £22 Million :lol:

He's still so fecking good so I had to do it!

I have never once managed him on any FM game ever which is a bit mental.

bosnian_red

I've been doing that in my big career save! Usually try to avoid doing it with United but with United I use the editor to keep players on normal wages since they're all on insane wages:lol:
Also do the occasional "clear injuries" if someone important breaks their leg/tears their acl. feck that. Though again, with my bigger career save I'm trying to avoid that too.

Last edited:

bosnian_red

So made it til March so far in my first year in the premier league with Bristol City (2021/22). Doing pretty well with some big upset results, random runs of good form but then some awful runs too. 10th in the league, but a -20 goal differential because I've had like 5-6 games where I got hammered at least 4-0.

A month and a bit ago got offered the Hoffenheim job, took it on the condition of taking over in the off season (also because their ambitions was going for the title pretty quickly and they were offering a lot of money. Went to check how they were doing now out of curiosity, and they dropped down to the relegation zone ffs. Going to be pissed if I have to take them over in the 2nd division. Too late to back out I assume...

bosnian_red

So made it til March so far in my first year in the premier league with Bristol City (2021/22). Doing pretty well with some big upset results, random runs of good form but then some awful runs too. 10th in the league, but a -20 goal differential because I've had like 5-6 games where I got hammered at least 4-0.

A month and a bit ago got offered the Hoffenheim job, took it on the condition of taking over in the off season (also because their ambitions was going for the title pretty quickly and they were offering a lot of money. Went to check how they were doing now out of curiosity, and they dropped down to the relegation zone ffs. Going to be pissed if I have to take them over in the 2nd division. Too late to back out I assume...
All good. Finished the season today and they finished 4 points clear of the relegation zone. Was too close for comfort though, they got a last day win to see them clear.

Having a big window though with loads of players up for sale. Nobody bought Haaland yet from Salzburg so I managed to snap him up. Signed a bunch of good transfer listed players like Alena from Barca, Passlack, etc and probably going to finish the window signing Dean Henderson since I can get him for £6m.

United had a huge season and were looking good for a quadruple, but then lost the title on the last day by drawing against Villa and then lost the CL final against City. Still won the FA Cup and League cup though. Ole still the manager. Greenwood, Rashford, Werner the main front 3, they bought Maddison in midfield to partner Pogba and then a bunch of other playmakers in the squad.