Gaming Football Manager 2020 (PC, Mac, Switch, Android, iOS, Stadia)

Panther

Is this game worth buying now or worth waiting for until the 19th when it's likely to be 50% off in the steam sale?

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Houssem Aouar is a beast this year.

Signed him for 50m approx and he's become my best CM alongside Pogba. It's nice that he's just as capable as a CAM/CM.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
What roles do you guys give to your midfielders? No matter what team I have, I try to have a b2b and a deep lying midfielder

Santos J

What roles do you guys give to your midfielders? No matter what team I have, I try to have a b2b and a deep lying midfielder
If I have a DM then tends to be DLP & B2B, if not then usually a CM(D) and either a DLP or B2B. Sometimes a Mezzala with a DM too depending on the players.

Art Vandelay

I use a DLP set to defend and a B2B in my midfield 2 with an AM ahead of them usually. Works really well for pinning teams in and the DLP tends to get high performance ratings no matter who it is. I got rid of Pogba because he was inadequate at both and because he annoys me.

Signing players is a bit too easy this year. I have Mbappe arriving in January, already have Sancho on the the left and could probably pick up Felix too. Have Haaland, Greenwood, Gouiri, Esposito, Tonali, Florentino Luis, Zaniolo, Cuissance and Chiesa as well as a few Brazilians and Argentinians out on loan. Like a home for wonderkids, although some of them I signed for very cheap with the intention of selling them on in a couple of years for big bucks because for some reason the board want me to do that now. I also got Eriksen and Kante for a combined £80m. Marquinhos and Godfrey added in the summer too. I still struggle to offload players for their actual value.

I can't get any consistent form out of Haaland, he misses a ton of chances and can go for long periods without scoring. My attempts to turn Greenwood into an IF on the the right have gone disastrously so far, to the point the board are complaining about his performances there. I'll stick with it until Mbappe arrives in January and then make a decision on where to play Greenwood, he's definitely staying and going to play it's just a question of where. Either Chiesa or Gouiri will probably get sold to make room.

Minkaro

I play a 4-2-3-1, with the deeper two as DLPM and BWM (both support) and the middle one of the attacking trio as an attacking midfielder (support again)

I did used to go for the DLPM and a box-to-box, like you, but the players I have fit BWM better.

Art Vandelay

Just signed Felix too. Have him and Mbappe arriving on January 1st. I may have broken the game somehow. Will probably move Bruno Fernandes, Maguire and Kante on in the summer to get the wage bill back under control.

Last edited:

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
I use a DLP set to defend and a B2B in my midfield 2 with an AM ahead of them usually. Works really well for pinning teams in and the DLP tends to get high performance ratings no matter who it is. I got rid of Pogba because he was inadequate at both and because he annoys me.

Signing players is a bit too easy this year. I have Mbappe arriving in January, already have Sancho on the the left and could probably pick up Felix too. Have Haaland, Greenwood, Gouiri, Esposito, Tonali, Florentino Luis, Zaniolo, Cuissance and Chiesa as well as a few Brazilians and Argentinians out on loan. Like a home for wonderkids, although some of them I signed for very cheap with the intention of selling them on in a couple of years for big bucks because for some reason the board want me to do that now. I also got Eriksen and Kante for a combined £80m. Marquinhos and Godfrey added in the summer too. I still struggle to offload players for their actual value.

I can't get any consistent form out of Haaland, he misses a ton of chances and can go for long periods without scoring. My attempts to turn Greenwood into an IF on the the right have gone disastrously so far, to the point the board are complaining about his performances there. I'll stick with it until Mbappe arrives in January and then make a decision on where to play Greenwood, he's definitely staying and going to play it's just a question of where. Either Chiesa or Gouiri will probably get sold to make room.
I got a good season out of him (Haaland) but then I went out and bought Mbappe so he got relegated to the bench. Greenwood is an absolute monster for me 4/5 seasons in. on the RW or ST.

Art Vandelay

I got a good season out of him (Haaland) but then I went out and bought Mbappe so he got relegated to the bench. Greenwood is an absolute monster for me 4/5 seasons in. on the RW or ST.
When Haaland's on form he's great, but he's patchy and misses about 5 chances for every 1 he scores. His back ups are much more lethal when they come off the bench but turn to shit when starting. I'm thinking I'll leave him up top and play Mbappe on the right wing see how that goes.

Greenwood was very good last season up front, moving him to the wing was to suit the squad and give him a position he'd be first choice. Not sure if it's the position or if he's just horribly off form.

Berbaclass

When Haaland's on form he's great, but he's patchy and misses about 5 chances for every 1 he scores. His back ups are much more lethal when they come off the bench but turn to shit when starting. I'm thinking I'll leave him up top and play Mbappe on the right wing see how that goes.

Greenwood was very good last season up front, moving him to the wing was to suit the squad and give him a position he'd be first choice. Not sure if it's the position or if he's just horribly off form.
Yeah I mainly play him up front as a AF with Mbappe on the RW as a IF. Get some great success witht that.

Minkaro

I subbed De Gea off in a friendly at half-time (first XI plays first half, second XI plays second). He has a HT rating of 6.8, and an FT rating of 6.7.

I'm just trying to work out if he sat down wrong or something.

Santos J

Penultimate fixtures went down to the wire and couldn't have ended up any better. At home to 6th in the last game and Catania are away to 16th so I'll need a win I imagine. Should have had the league won ages ago but fell a part a bit in Feb onwards with 4 losses and 4 draws in 12.

edit: Champions!

Last edited:

Berbaclass

I have Wriedt in my Wiesbaden team. Done okay for me too.

I somehow finished 2nd in the Bundesliga after getting promoted after 3 years in Bundesliga 2. One of my proudest and best FM achievements ever!

Adam-Utd

Won the CL and the league cup in my 2nd season.

Had to sell Pogba as has 1 season left on his contract and I couldn't risk losing him for a free.

PSG signed Pogba and Salah in the same season, they must have a bonkers war chest.

Nickosaur

Hey - how often are patches/updates on this?

I'll be getting this around/just after xmas. Hoping to start a proper save right away but i could hold off a few days if a big update is in the works.

edit- im more specifically talking about player/manager movements. when i start my game i would like it if poch wasn't still at spurs for example.

Santos J

Hey - how often are patches/updates on this?

I'll be getting this around/just after xmas. Hoping to start a proper save right away but i could hold off a few days if a big update is in the works.

edit- im more specifically talking about player/manager movements. when i start my game i would like it if poch wasn't still at spurs for example.
The official one isn't until March, you can get unofficial ones from FMScout and the like which are just as in-depth.

Art Vandelay

One week Haaland scores 4 against City. The next week he's so bad against Everton that I have to dish out his 5th fine this season for poor performances. Fining him a full weeks wages now for it. I just don't know if I can rely on him as my first choice, it might be time for Mbappe up top with Greenwood on the wing as it's 50/50 if Haaland does anything in the match.

Santos J

I have Wriedt in my Wiesbaden team. Done okay for me too.

I somehow finished 2nd in the Bundesliga after getting promoted after 3 years in Bundesliga 2. One of my proudest and best FM achievements ever!
He was great for me for the most part, had a bit of a slump at one point but still comfortably my best player.

Was available on a free in January but he wanted around £6k and I could only offer up to about £2.5k so had no chance and he's joined Forest this season. Will be tough to replace.

Nico87

After several years away Football manager I got this one. It seems broken. Several times a game both teams have their defenders hitting inch perfect 70 yards passes behind either defence, putting the striker through on goal, who more often than not misses. Pogba is also averaging a goal a game which is always a screamer from outside the box.

2E_MUFC

How’s Rugani this year? He’s transfer listed at the min so may sign him in January and move Rojo on.

Berbaclass

How’s Rugani this year? He’s transfer listed at the min so may sign him in January and move Rojo on.
I looked at him in my save as United and wasn’t particularly impressed with a few things.

I bought Skriniar and I also really like Ruben Dias. Two top tier defenders.

Art Vandelay

Dias is great. I'm still gutted I had to sell him. I promised him I'd try and sign a player to help him settle, which I tried but couldn't manage and he never forgave me for it. So I had to move him on. Would have been a great captain too.

Ben Godfrey is excellent, I got him for £30m from Norwich and he's first choice now with Marquinhos. Going to try and move Maguire on in the summer, he isn't worth the wages and keeps getting caught out for pace with those long balls over the top.

Adam-Utd

Dias is great. I'm still gutted I had to sell him. I promised him I'd try and sign a player to help him settle, which I tried but couldn't manage and he never forgave me for it. So I had to move him on. Would have been a great captain too.

Ben Godfrey is excellent, I got him for £30m from Norwich and he's first choice now with Marquinhos. Going to try and move Maguire on in the summer, he isn't worth the wages and keeps getting caught out for pace with those long balls over the top.
Yeah this annoyed me. I like playing a high pressure, high line tactic and his pace especially with the full backs high cost me a few times.

I now have Skriniar and Koulibaly at CB, much better :drool: I got Kouli for £53m which I thought was a steal.

2E_MUFC

I looked at him in my save as United and wasn’t particularly impressed with a few things.

I bought Skriniar and I also really like Ruben Dias. Two top tier defenders.
I thought he was just listed because they now have De Ligt. But yeah he doesn't look as good as he was. Actually enjoying Maguire and Tuanzebe as a partnership at the min.

Berbaclass

I thought he was just listed because they now have De Ligt. But yeah he doesn't look as good as he was. Actually enjoying Maguire and Tuanzebe as a partnership at the min.
I sold Maguire to Palace for £30 million :lol:

Tuanzebe is a really solid backup for me, currently have Marquinhos and Skriniar as my first choice partnership.

Was planning on getting Dias but PSG bought a player from Chelsea who then replaced him with Dias so to spite PSG I took Mbappe and Marquinhos off them :lol:

Berbaclass

Also, I took a punt on Ansu Fati as I sold Douglas Costa who I got in my first season. He’s immense and is keeping Rashford out of the team.

Saw he was available for £60 Million, took one look at his stats and just paid the money. Might be one of my best signings along with Balo from Porto.

Scores massive goals for me.

Art Vandelay

I sold Maguire to Palace for £30 million :lol:

Tuanzebe is a really solid backup for me, currently have Marquinhos and Skriniar as my first choice partnership.

Was planning on getting Dias but PSG bought a player from Chelsea who then replaced him with Dias so to spite PSG I took Mbappe and Marquinhos off them :lol:
:lol:

Me buying Marquinhos unsettled Mbappe as he felt there wasn't enough cover at CB, so I bought him too. :lol:

I think I'll maybe leave Godfrey and Marquinhos as first choice pair and bring in another back up alongside Tuanzebe as I can't keep signing hugely expensive players. Could get Wood off Middlesboro for about £30m, he's only 18 so would work out as solid back up and eventually home grown. Plus he's got blistering pace.

PoTMS

Saw this at £20 while at Smyths and took the plunge. Haven't played this since FM15.

Any players I should be looking at while in League 1?

Santos J

Saw this at £20 while at Smyths and took the plunge. Haven't played this since FM15.

Any players I should be looking at while in League 1?
Wriedt if you can get him on loan from Bayern B, he joined me at Bari in Serie C so you should be able to pick him up. Who are you managing?

PoTMS

Wriedt if you can get him on loan from Bayern B, he joined me at Bari in Serie C so you should be able to pick him up. Who are you managing?
Haven't chosen a team yet as I'm still trying to download the darn thing but I was going to go for Bolton or Sunderland.

Santos J

Haven't chosen a team yet as I'm still trying to download the darn thing but I was going to go for Bolton or Sunderland.
Bolton are a great challenge as they're fecked financially and with the 12 point deduction yet they have shit loads of quality young players you can use in and around the squad. Loads of PL loans you can pick up to fill out the squad too.

PoTMS

Is it just me that is finding it so overly complicated?

Nickosaur

Is it just me that is finding it so overly complicated?
Initially I did struggle. I last played Fm17 I think and a lot has changed. But after a few hours on the demo I got used to it. Theres some decent tutorial vids of YouTube about how to start up a new save, things like setting your staff responsibilities, scouting network, training etc. Of course you can delegate pretty much everything to a coach. But I'm a bit of a control freak.

Dan_F

How is everyone getting on with their strikers? I can’t seem to find a way to get them to score regularly. I get plenty from the wings and midfield, but usually I’d expect 25-30 goals a season my main striker.

I generally play with 3 midfielders, one playmaker sitting in front of the back 4 and two more attacking midfielders. I’m wondering if I should just play a 10, with two deeper mids.

If I player the striker as an advanced forward (proffered position), then on the tactics screen the square goes light red. You’d have thought two attacking inverted wingers and attacking mids would cover that space. Can’t complain too much as I’ve won the league three times in a row, but the league is quite weak.

Adam-Utd

How is everyone getting on with their strikers? I can’t seem to find a way to get them to score regularly. I get plenty from the wings and midfield, but usually I’d expect 25-30 goals a season my main striker.

I generally play with 3 midfielders, one playmaker sitting in front of the back 4 and two more attacking midfielders. I’m wondering if I should just play a 10, with two deeper mids.

If I player the striker as an advanced forward (proffered position), then on the tactics screen the square goes light red. You’d have thought two attacking inverted wingers and attacking mids would cover that space. Can’t complain too much as I’ve won the league three times in a row, but the league is quite weak.
As united I use a 4-2-3-1, One deep lying playmaker defend (camavinga) the other a advanced playmaker, Mezzala or Deep lying playmaker support (Pogba, Aouar, B.Fernandes, Eriksen) then use a CAM (Eriksen/Fernandes/Aouar)

I have Greenwood up top as an advanced forward and he's an absolute machine. He scored 5 in one game against Liverpool in a 6-5 victory for me :lol: mental match

He's only 20 in my save and still classed as a wonderkid, but he's got 5 star ability/potential according to Phelan.

Dan_F

As united I use a 4-2-3-1, One deep lying playmaker defend (camavinga) the other a advanced playmaker, Mezzala or Deep lying playmaker support (Pogba, Aouar, B.Fernandes, Eriksen) then use a CAM (Eriksen/Fernandes/Aouar)

I have Greenwood up top as an advanced forward and he's an absolute machine. He scored 5 in one game against Liverpool in a 6-5 victory for me :lol: mental match

He's only 20 in my save and still classed as a wonderkid, but he's got 5 star ability/potential according to Phelan.
Yeah that’s the thing, I have a feeling it’s more my strikers than the system. I’m struggling to find a decent striker for the price and level I need. I got really lucky with my last save that I had a wonder kid regen, who killed it upfront and I never needed to worry about that position.

If I could find someone who can score penalties at more than 50% I’d be happy. It’s honestly a bit of a joke.

Adam-Utd

Yeah that’s the thing, I have a feeling it’s more my strikers than the system. I’m struggling to find a decent striker for the price and level I need. I got really lucky with my last save that I had a wonder kid regen, who killed it upfront and I never needed to worry about that position.

If I could find someone who can score penalties at more than 50% I’d be happy. It’s honestly a bit of a joke.
:lol: I'm afraid even the star players seem to miss more often than not! It's just one of those quirks this year unfortunately.