Football myths

Lentwood

That United let Pogba go to Juventus on a free, or for a nominal fee

Obviously we all know we repeatedly tried to renew his contract but he ended up leaving on a Bosman (we got some nominal compensation owing to his age) citing lack of opportunities

lysglimt

Scout
Lukaku doesn't score against the big teams
Well in fairness - he doesn't. But that is simply because most top strikers don't score against big team. Which makes sense as these games usually don't end up 5-0 or 4-4.

As I showed in another post - even Shearers record against other top teams was mediocre at best

lysglimt

Scout
Pogba can't play in a midfield two is, right now, my favorite.
If you play with say Martial / Mkhitaryan on the wings - Rashford and Lukaku up front, and Pogba in a 2 man midfield - that wouldn't work.

It all depends on what kind of football you play. Pogba is a lot better going forward than defending. And if you play a team where the wingers are defensively poor (like Martial and Mkhitaryan are), using Pogba in a 2 man midfield would not be good.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
That a player who scores loads in a shit team will find it easier at a bigger club because better players will be around him.

That the great Spanish team were boring. It was only the Euro 2012 where they were a bit boring. In 2010 their football was outstanding and they only won 1-0 every game because other teams played so defensive in fear. In 2008 their football was incredible too.

That Pogba was poor last season
This 100%

Kurosawa

Supports
Liverpool
Premier League is the best league in the world.

The whole 'adapting to the premier league ' nonsense. I think it's more a case of adapting to your new team's style.

Ronaldo vs Messi is a matter of preference. No it isn't Messi, objectively Messi is a superior footballer.

The whole 'adapting to the premier league ' nonsense. I think it's more a case of adapting to your new team's style.

Real Madrid are a 'circus ' . No they are not, they just have extremely high standards. They have their share of controversy, as every club does, but they are the biggest. They have also been very well ran in recent years.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
What does this mean? The truth is that players over 27 are actually one year older than they actually are?
Players over the age of 27 are described as 28 in January or 29 next season.

Mick1

Liverpool is still relevant.
Barcelona plays against 3 teams all season, Ossasuna ( every single match ends 8-0), real madrid and atletico.
Serie A is defensive and boring.
The NYSE
Journalists have a clue what they are talking about
Eviant and Llorient are the same team
Lingard is a professional football player

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Yorke and Cole had a "telepathic" understanding - I can only remember it happening once when Yorke dummied it for Cole in the semi against Juventus..
Is this a joke?

Are you old enough to remember that season?

Redcy

Well in fairness - he doesn't. But that is simply because most top strikers don't score against big team. Which makes sense as these games usually don't end up 5-0 or 4-4.

As I showed in another post - even Shearers record against other top teams was mediocre at best
Yes, sorry I wrote it without context, as you know last year only Vardy and a few midfielders scored more against the top teams.

Schmiznurf

Caf Representative in Mafia Championship
Wales and England are part of the same country. As there's only British citizenship and nothing else, it was up to the British Football Associations to come to an agreement amongst themselves. FIFA always had the right to overrule and allow any British player to play for whatever team he chose.

I'm not sure about what you say about the residency rules either. John Barnes played for England despite being a Jamaican born a Jamaican mother and Trinidadian father.
Wales and England are part of the same commonwealth, not the same country. Just like Germany and Poland are part of the same Union and Continent rather than being one country.

MuFc_1992

1. Denis Law's goal for Man City relegated United - we actually would have gone down anyway
  2. Ryan Giggs could have played for England (no, he just played for England schoolboys)
  3. Keane ended Alf Inge Haaland's career - no, different leg, different time ended career
  4. John Lukic 'survived' Munich - no, his Mum did. He was born years later
  5. Smalling is a top class defender
It wasn't his mum.

Siorac

England is a great footballing nation.
That's not a myth. England is a great footballing nation. Yes, the national team was never really all that but that's not the only aspect of being a great footballing nation.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
No, it was Canal+ bankrolling them then.
You are right.

Glazers, Berlusconi (Milan AC), Morratti (Inter), the Spanish King (Real Madrid)... are/were poor investors or capital providers with modest means :(

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
What about the time between that and the 2010s then?
If you read my initial post, I've used the term "discover"

discover
(dɪˈskʌvə)
vb (tr; may take a clause as object)
1. to be the first to find or find out about: Fleming discovered penicillin.
2. to learn about or encounter for the first time; realize: she discovered the pleasures of wine.
3. to find after study or search: I discovered a leak in the tank.
4. to reveal or make known

SomeRandomPerson

1. Alex Ferguson was poor tactically.
  2. 2008/09 was peak Vidic/Rio with that clean sheet run even though Johnny Evans played most of those games.
  3. Daley Blind struggles against strong/fast opponents. He does seem to have a mistake in him, but his struggles seem to have little to do withe the player he's up against and more his own form.
  4. LvG abandoned the 4-4-2 diamond formation after the Leicester defeat. He played the same formation in the 2-1 win over West Ham (Paddy Mcnair's debut) as well as the 2-1 win over Everton (de Gea freakish saves). He abandoned it because of our inability to control games with it.

Premier League is the best league in the world.

Ronaldo vs Messi is a matter of preference. No it isn't Messi, objectively Messi is a superior footballer.

Real Madrid are a 'circus ' . No they are not, they just have extremely high standards. They have their share of controversy, as every club does, but they are the biggest. They have also been very well ran in recent years.
Plus, the whole 'adapting to the premier league' nonsense. I think it's more a case of adapting to your new teams's style :p