Football phrases that grinds your gears

Sara125

I genuinely still don’t know what xG is or why it matters in the grand scheme of things. I mean, I know it’s expected goals but how is it calculated? Is it just like if, for example, Man city are playing Wrexham AFC (or some other league 2 team or whatever) at home in the carabao cup you’d expect their xG to be like 8? Or am I totally off the mark?

Siorac

I genuinely still don’t know what xG is or why it matters in the grand scheme of things. I mean, I know it’s expected goals but how is it calculated? Is it just like if, for example, city are playing Wrexham United at home in the carabao cup you’d expect their xG to be like 8? Or am I totally off the mark?
In very simple terms: whenever a player takes the shot, the model calculates how likely he is to score from that shot, based on previous data (thousands of shots taken from similar positions). That's it. You get a value between 0 and 1 for each shot. You add these together throughout the game and you get the total xG.

Alex B

And the indefinite article too, 'what you get with a Rooney is ..'

I suspect it may be where English is a second language but not sure. Or it could be cockneys, which amounts to the same thing.
Haha indeed More frustrating than Rashford's tracking

And muchos gracias for the like

Sara125

In very simple terms: whenever a player takes the shot, the model calculates how likely he is to score from that shot, based on previous data (thousands of shots taken from similar positions). That's it. You get a value between 0 and 1 for each shot. You add these together throughout the game and you get the total xG.
Even now that’s it been explained it to me it still sounds like a really pointless stat

Oscar Bonavena

August to October: "at this stage of the season it's not about the performance, it's only the result that matters"

November to February: "at this stage of the season it's not about the performance, it's only the result that matters"

March to May: "at this stage of the season it's not about the performance, it's only the result that matters"

Which leads me to the question, at precisely what stage of the season does the performance actually matter more than the result?!

C'est Moi Cantona

Why do so many co commentators say something, and then follow it up with "he really has", "it really is", "it really was", etc, I'm sure Carragher started it, but McCoist is the one I really focus on, though so many seem to do it, I've even found myself saying it sometimes!

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Why do so many co commentators say something, and then follow it up with "he really has", "it really is", "it really was", etc, I'm sure Carragher started it, but McCoist is the one I really focus on, though so many seem to do it, I've even found myself saying it sometimes!
They really do

AdamColeBebe

Supports
Man Utd
Generational
Baller
Let him cook
Low block
Pivot
Double Pivot
xG or anything similar.

Yes, I am Grandpa Simpson.
Oh my god yes. Absolutely this.

This and "x is clear of x"

Shut the feck up. You're a grown adult.

Shalashaska

Even now that’s it been explained it to me it still sounds like a really pointless stat
It is literally just a way of putting a number on the phrase "we had the better chances". Just like shots on target or possession, it tells part of the story of a match, but isn't meant to be the whole picture.

The old adage is that the only stat that matters is the score line, all stats are "pointless" but add flavour to the post match analysis

Oranges038

The way people put the manager name and ball together.

For example..Angeball, Hagball, Slotball etc etc

Feck off.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
August to October: "at this stage of the season it's not about the performance, it's only the result that matters"

November to February: "at this stage of the season it's not about the performance, it's only the result that matters"

March to May: "at this stage of the season it's not about the performance, it's only the result that matters"

Which leads me to the question, at precisely what stage of the season does the performance actually matter more than the result?!
In the post season review when you decide if you sack the manager or keep him.