Footballers crying

Boogie Man

Your business and a football final are really not the same thing though. Yes you failed, but as you said you can try again. You can build a business when you're 30, 40, 50, 70 years old. Realistically most players have the highest chance of participating in a CL final when they're between what, 25 and 32? That's a 7 year window. It's literally once in a lifetime chance, and in Salah's case it was taken away from him through no fault of his own
I think losing your business, home, and livelihood, and having to live back with your mum with not a penny to your name, who is then nagging you within less than 24 hours of being back, and then having to turn your phone off because you can't face speaking to anyone, is far worse than hurting your shoulder and coming off in a CL final!

I mean I understand the disappointment Salah must have been feeling, but even if he'd lost all his personal wealth at the exact moment he got substituted in the CL final, he still shouldn't be involuntary crying in full view of the world, but it's not just him but loads of other sportsmen these days, footballers, tennis players, boxers, track & field athletes, you name it, they're all breaking down in tears, and I really do think it is chemically induced!

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Nothing wrong with it.

Crying is a natural reaction to an emotive moment. Least it shows you're human and comfortable being one.

matherto

I think losing your business, home, and livelihood, and having to live back with your mum with not a penny to your name, who is then nagging you within less than 24 hours of being back, and then having to turn your phone off because you can't face speaking to anyone, is far worse than hurting your shoulder and coming off in a CL final!

I mean I understand the disappointment Salah must have been feeling, but even if he'd lost all his personal wealth at the exact moment he got substituted in the CL final, he still shouldn't be involuntary crying in full view of the world, but it's not just him but loads of other sportsmen these days, footballers, tennis players, boxers, track & field athletes, you name it, they're all breaking down in tears, and I really do think it is chemically induced!
So because he's not experienced the first stuff, he's not allowed to get upset over the stuff he has experienced? Who are you to tell other people what they can and can't be upset about?

It is chemically induced, but rather than what you're insinuating, it's the natural chemical reaction in our brain.

Why shouldn't they be crying?

Silver

I don't think there's any problem with footballers crying - if they need to express their emotions, then so be it. All power to the new generation for being more comfortable with their emotions.

But at the same time, I will readily judge the context of these emotions some of these players express - for example, I remember the Bayern players after the 1999 final... Sammy Kuffour banging the ground and wailing... hard not to sympathize with them in that scenario. And nothing wrong with those tears. They had victory snatched from them. As opposed to Salah in tears as he's WALKING off... those tears were about himself.

Personally, I understand if a player cries after a loss in a dramatic CL or WC final because it's a culmination of a mass effort but I have no sympathy for players crying for injuries because that's a risk they willingly take.

I have to say though that Beckham's tears when he played his last game really got to me because that was about him leaving the game forever - a final goodbye. For me that's more emotional and worth more tears than losing a final.

Boogie Man

So because he's not experienced the first stuff, he's not allowed to get upset over the stuff he has experienced? Who are you to tell other people what they can and can't be upset about?

It is chemically induced, but rather than what you're insinuating, it's the natural chemical reaction in our brain.

I just find it strange that's all. He's entitled to react in anyway he likes, as are all sportsmen. But as I say, I just find it strange that these mentally tough sportsmen can breakdown so easily (and make no mistake, they can not get where they are without being highly resilient mentally), and they're full on wailing as well!! Maybe I'm just finding it difficult to emphasise here, but I just can not imagine ever reacting in the same way UNLESS I'd been taking some kind of substances that had effected my hormones in a way that made it impossible for me NOT to react in this way. I'm highly, highly suspicious of these sportsmen, let's just say that!

In the same way, if I saw a guy I knew on the street making chicken sounds or barking like a dog, I'd also be suspicious he might be on something, because it would seem like abnormal behaviour to me, same with these sportsmen wailing like a toddler.

Last edited:

Idxomer

I think with Salah it wasn't just the final but the possibility of missing the World Cup for his country. Note that Egypt reached the finals only twice and that was before he was born. Also he was the main reason for the qualification, so it must've been hard on him at the moment thinking he won't be part of it after all his efforts to get there. You need to understand where he's coming from before passing your judgement, same in other incidents.

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He would cry if someone told him to stop union busting. Hes currently having an extended meltdown because a newspaper wrote something mildly critical of him.
Thats not whats happening lol.

Flames73

I do think Salah crying and Carvajal crying is a culmination of unable to continue playing the UCL finals, fearing to be out of the WC (I think this is huge), the emotion, the adrenaline , and everything just happening all at once. I don't see anything wrong with it. Emotions running high and everything. People react differently. And one just might affect the other. Carvajal seeing Salah cry may have triggered him too.

Don't think there is anything wrong with it. Sometimes you can't control emotions that easily. It isn't like they didn't bust their lungs out and worked hard for it.

ShadesOfTomato

Supports
Liverpool
I can see your point. Personally haven't cried since I was a young child. Even when suffering a setback or serious disappointment/sadness, or in times of happiness. Sometimes I wish I could - as it seems quite cathartic and human.

Everyone varies though - some are more in touch with their emotions than others. That applies to footballers too.

SpyLuke10

Well in Salah's case, it may have been his lifelong dream to play at a world cup and the injury could possibly end his chances of playing in it. And Egypt don't usually qualify so this world cup might be the only one he will ever get the chance to play at. Fearing the worst and emotions and adrenaline running high in a that match, its perfectly understandable. Broken dreams can bring someone to tears.

And its not like most of these players are openly balling their eyes out. They're trying to hide their disappointment more often than not.

EDIT: There are suggestions that he'll be fit in time for the world cup, at least for Egypt's second match, but nevertheless, when you get injured you don't always know how serious it is. Plus not getting to play the rest of the game in the biggest match of your career sucks.

Last edited:

maniwin

They should cry after losing though ? i will be more pissed if they didn't look like they feel anything after crucial defeat

matherto

I just find it strange that's all. He's entitled to react in anyway he likes, as are all sportsmen. But as I say, I just find it strange that these mentally tough sportsmen can breakdown so easily (and make no mistake, they can not get where they are without being highly resilient mentally), and they're full on wailing as well!! Maybe I'm just finding it difficult to emphasise here, but I just can not imagine ever reacting in the same way UNLESS I'd been taking some kind of substances that had effected my hormones in a way that made it impossible for me NOT to react in this way. I'm highly, highly suspicious of these sportsmen, let's just say that!

In the same way, if I saw a guy I knew on the street making chicken sounds or barking like a dog, I'd also be suspicious he might be on something, because it would seem like abnormal behaviour to me, same with these sportsmen wailing like a toddler.
The thing is, what is it about crying that implies that it isn't tough?

Crying is an intensely vulnerable thing and to have the ability in yourself to just let it all out when you know you're gonna get judged massively (and incorrectly for it) on the world stage as a sportsman is actually very tough IMO. We're taught that it's not manly to cry but the reality is that's incorrect and based on an outdated and outmoded stereotype. That stereotype is feeding your suspicions about those that do it.

I don't quite know how you're equating someone on the street making chicken sounds or barking like a dog to crying? I'm with you that I'd be wondering what the hell was going on if they did either of the former things but if someone where to cry in front of me? I'd want to know what I could do to help instead.

Like I said, it's a completely 'normal', natural reaction to a big event. Our brains release the chemicals that make us want to cry whether we injure ourselves in something we're really proud of taking part in or whether our family gets blown up in front of us, it's just the opinions and stereotypes placed on us by other people that tells us that we should cry for one of them and not the other. It sounds to me like you're not comfortable with crying yourself so can I ask where that might have come from? I could be completely wrong but that's what it comes off as.

Perhaps you should see each event uniquely instead of comparing it to something else that it really shouldn't be compared to.

If I'd worked hard my entire life having come from nothing to make it all the way to the Champions League final, with a huge chance I might never play in one again and I had it ripped up in an instant and shattered, that sense of loss would probably make me burst out crying too and I damn sure wouldn't be thinking about all those that have it worse to me in the eyes of people who don't have a clue what it feels like in that precise moment to me.

Imagine feeling that devastated (trust me, you would be) and then thinking 'oh actually, I'd better not cry cause there's a starving child in Africa or there's someone having their leg blown off in a war somewhere and some bloke on the internet thinks I shouldn't, gotta keep up those appearances y'know'. That's infinitely more unnatural and ridiculous and I'd be much more concerned that they'd taken something or had a mental problem that wasn't allowing them their full range of emotions.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
Steven Gerrard is the prime example of a tough man. He didn't cry when he slipped against Chelsea or when he got sent off against us after 45 seconds.

matherto

Are those the only two options?

Just seems to me that young people are very soft these days. Ever had to hire a millennial?
Seems to me you've got a misguided viewpoint on what is 'soft' and what isn't.

Young people are just better at expressing their emotions, more developed than those who've been told their entire lives to keep a lid on it for....reasons. I'd be willing to bet inside everyone of the people thinking young people are soft, there's a little child wondering why the feck they're not allowed to feel what their body is telling them to and why they have to listen to other people's opinions rather than trusting themselves.

feck being 'ard. If you're not comfortable telling people how you feel then perhaps you wanna take a look at where that started and who told you not to do it.

Angry Virginian

Supports
Tottenham
You wouldn't know what it feels like until it happens to you. I used to wonder why people cried so much at funerals until someone I dearly loved passed away. Now I do understand.

Footballers work all their lives attempting to make it to the top level and win things. To have that taken away from you by injury within the first half hour of your first big cup final is harsh. Salah must have thought that he was going to miss the World Cup too. Some people are just more passionate than the others.

Reactions: Penna

Silver

Are those the only two options?

Just seems to me that young people are very soft these days. Ever had to hire a millennial?
Well this is certainly a broad generalizing statement condemning an entire generation. Expressing emotions doesn't mean someone is "soft". Fergie had his hairdryer treatment - that's a form of extreme emotion - you certainly wouldn't call that "soft" would you? It's a bit rich to criticize a younger generation for being "very soft" just because it doesn't measure up to your antiquated standards. A lot of good the older "hard" generation has done in this world.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
The first time I can remember seeing a player cry was Gazza in 1990. Even at 10 years old, I thought it was a bit much to break into tears. But in those times it at least seemed to be a rare exception.

But how times have changed. We see grown arse men in their 20s and 30s bursting into tears after big defeats. We even had Neymar weeping in a press conference. How does everyone else feel about this?

It obviously hurts to lose a big final or semi, but publicly weeping over it? I watched Salah go off injured in floods of tears, and i couldn’t help thinking “what a baby!”. Am I being too antiquated here? Is it a fair expression of emotion for adult men to cry so much? Or am I right to ridicule these mewling quims for the spoiled man child they clearly are?

What say you caftards?
It's normal, especially in final or the last day of the league.

Hell we even shed a tears on those moments, let alone the actual players.

CG1010

You couldn't have chosen a worse example than Salah. Think of the amount of hard work and evolution he would have had to get through. This leading to playing at the biggest stage of football - the champions league final and the world cup. And the cruelty of getting injured out of nothing and potentially to have all of it taken away from it.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Typical toxic masculinity nonsense that men shouldn't cry. Then people wonder why men have significantly higher suicide rates than women, if you show your emotions you're a p*ssy, soft, 'you're not a man'; therefore you don't show those emotions or seek any help, ultimately that can lead to something very bad.

Silver

So is it okay for adult women to cry? And why?
This is kinda weird. Why do you need to compare men crying to women? Men being able to express emotions shouldn't automatically be compared women. This isn't about gender so what's the point in this question in this context?

RoyH1

Yeah, I can agree that too many footballers cry nowadays. There's a difference though between someone like Salah crying because he's missing the CL final and maybe the WC or Neymar being a big pampered baby who cries when he doesn't get to see his sisters behind wrapped in spandex.

Many things play into it. Gender, age, profession, culture too. I remember my grandfather not even crying when my grandmother died. But he also drank a lot by himself. I don't think that's healthy.

Balerion

I personally don't have a problem with men crying most of the time, but at the same time, I do find it a bit weird to see grown up sportsmen crying. But that's probably mostly because I expect sportsmen (talking about men now) to be somewhat tough, but if he feels like crying in a match, I don't really care. On the other hand, football has a bit of an image problem, with footballers being viewed as soft and p*ssies, thanks to their behavior on the pitch, so... yeah, the crying doesn't really help with that.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
There is nothing wrong in crying, and comparing football to regular jobs is just stupid.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Seems to me you've got a misguided viewpoint on what is 'soft' and what isn't.

Young people are just better at expressing their emotions, more developed than those who've been told their entire lives to keep a lid on it for....reasons. I'd be willing to bet inside everyone of the people thinking young people are soft, there's a little child wondering why the feck they're not allowed to feel what their body is telling them to and why they have to listen to other people's opinions rather than trusting themselves.

feck being 'ard. If you're not comfortable telling people how you feel then perhaps you wanna take a look at where that started and who told you not to do it.
Lots of assumptions in your post. Just because I am surprised at the willingness of grown men to cry so publicly, and often without grave cause, doesn’t mean I am advocating emotional repression. One can communicate or deal with their feelings without resorting to the most basic and infantile of all human coping mechanisms; crying. And I say infantile in the factual rather than derogatory sense.

You can read through my post history and see I have no issue telling people how I feel. Including having posted in the thread on child sexual abuse to discuss my feelings at being a male child sexual abuse survivor. Again, I can talk about these things in a productive and constructive way. Players crying because they got sent off, lost a game etc., is a completely different ball park of pain.

I don’t deny their right to cry, but i still remain surprised at how easily some of them do it. And in my opinion it has become symptomatic of the molly coddled nature of the modern footballer. Perhaps, as some other posters put it, it’s a generational thing. Then again, I’m only 38.

I’ll just reiterate, because this seems to be getting lost in translation. I don’t think there’s anything inherently wrong in crying. I cried when my dad died. I cried when I told my wife about what happened to me as a child. And I cried when I thought my wife was not going to make it out of 5 weeks in ICU and I’d have to raise our newborn daughter alone. Tbh, that’s probably it. And it’s not because I think I’ve been through more than others. Lives are messy, and most people have to deal with shit on that level or worse, at some point.

But anything other than these life changing, humanly tragic moments, it wouldn’t occur to me to cry. It’s the most infinitely juvenile response to a situation. A regression to a child like form. And I think as we see people become more detached from actual struggle, or the realities of the world, we see this regression at much earlier points on the agony curve. Take the diva type behaviours of pop, TV and film stars as an example. And I think we are seeing that in sports now. Footballers are increasingly doing less and less for themselves. The huge wealth meaning they are living in self created bubbles. The secret footballer wrote about this exact same thing. Some of them don’t know how to open a bank account or renew a license etc etc.

I’m sayjng that this complete culture change in modern football is responsible for a generation of “soft” players. Players used to earn their stripes, cleaning the locker rooms and boots of senior pros, earning their big contracts through time in the first team. Now you’ve got youth players making 50k a week based on potential alone. And their lives lived through social media and entourages of sycophants. It doesn’t give them any experiential grounding for developing coping mechanisms for the rigours of normal life. I think this is a shame.

Crying is a fundamental emotional outlet. An essential one for mental health. But it is also used an a manipulative device by some people, and as a regular coping mechanism for people with either little mental fortitude or a low level of emotional intelligence. Just as I think there is something wrong with people who are afraid to cry, I also think there’s something awry with people who cry too easily or regularly.

Last edited:

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Typical toxic masculinity nonsense that men shouldn't cry. Then people wonder why men have significantly higher suicide rates than women, if you show your emotions you're a p*ssy, soft, 'you're not a man'; therefore you don't show those emotions or seek any help, ultimately that can lead to something very bad.
See my post above this for an explanation for why I am not saying that at all. Then climb down off your soap box.

17Larsson

Not a malefactor just a lagomorph
You are truly a horrible boss then. It is hard for you to grasp that some people just that passionate about something?
What was Carvajal crying about? Was he passionate about Madrid winning?

He walked down the steps without one look back to the game that had already started again. I thought it showed how pathetic and selfish he was.

Like Terry crying when he missed the penalty against us. The game was still on, Chelsea were still a kick and a save away from winning the Champions League but he was sitting on his arse crying because he himself missed a penalty

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
It's normal, especially in final or the last day of the league.

Hell we even shed a tears on those moments, let alone the actual players.
I can’t say I’ve ever cried over a result as an adult.

RedFish

I'm definitely not saying men shouldn't cry. Context is everything. Didn't feel sorry for Karius, in fact I quite enjoyed it.....I must be a bad person.

Last edited:

James Peril

Salah was a bit understandable in my opinion. Knowing he is the best player by a mile and basically losing them the game, as well as probably missing the World Cup right there and then. However, I have no sympathy for Carvajal. I like the player and always have, but he is a cog and was replaced without any fuzz whatsoever. He was crying so much he was shaking on the floor, never seen such a reaction before.

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
:confused:

...they’re humans just like me and you after all so I don’t get what the point of OP is.

They have emotions and aren’t robots.

Daniel Moore

Let's just have it right for one second

I'm laid in bed crying right now

I'm literally beside myself at how wet everyone's become. Yes losing your home family and business is worse than a football match. Your millionaire for playing a game. Grow up ffs

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
I punch most people I see crying.

Daniel Moore

Let's just have it right for one second

I'm laid in bed crying right now

I'm literally beside myself at how wet everyone's become. Yes losing your home family and business is worse than a football match. Your millionaire for playing a game. Grow up ffs
I'd be crying tears of joy that I've got it so damn good