Footballers crying

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Crying over a game is a bit much in my opinion. The players need to get a grip. People are dying in the world, yet people crying over something as trivial as a game is pathetic. There is a much needed perspective in football.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
You can read through my post history and see I have no issue telling people how I feel. Including having posted in the thread on child sexual abuse to discuss my feelings at being a male child sexual abuse survivor. Again, I can talk about these things in a productive and constructive way. Players crying because they got sent off, lost a game etc., is a completely different ball park of pain.
To your brain, it isn't though. It's the same chemical reaction to trauma and it doesn't make a judgement on what is more traumatic than something else. As such, reacting in exactly the same fashion to being sexually abused and getting sent off or losing a game is just doing the natural thing your brain is telling you to do.

But anything other than these life changing, humanly tragic moments, it wouldn’t occur to me to cry. It’s the most infinitely juvenile response to a situation. A regression to a child like form. And I think as we see people become more detached from actual struggle, or the realities of the world, we see this regression at much earlier points on the agony curve. Take the diva type behaviours of pop, TV and film stars as an example. And I think we are seeing that in sports now. Footballers are increasingly doing less and less for themselves. The huge wealth meaning they are living in self created bubbles. The secret footballer wrote about this exact same thing. Some of them don’t know how to open a bank account or renew a license etc etc.

I’m sayjng that this complete culture change in modern football is responsible for a generation of “soft” players. Players used to earn their stripes, cleaning the locker rooms and boots of senior pros, earning their big contracts through time in the first team. Now you’ve got youth players making 50k a week based on potential alone. And their lives lived through social media and entourages of sycophants. It doesn’t give them any experiential grounding for developing coping mechanisms for the rigours of normal life. I think this is a shame.

Crying is a fundamental emotional outlet. An essential one for mental health. But it is also used an a manipulative device by some people, and as a regular coping mechanism for people with either little mental fortitude or a low level of emotional intelligence. Just as I think there is something wrong with people who are afraid to cry, I also think there’s something awry with people who cry too easily or regularly.
It wouldn't occur to you to cry, so that means what exactly for the 7.6 billion other people on the planet? What you find worthy of a crying reaction isn't the same as anyone else so making a judgement on it is completely pointless.

And I honestly don't think a culture change was such a bad thing to happen. Would you rather your heroes got the shit kicked out of them under some misguided notion that they're 'harder' than current players in the current climate?

Also one could argue that the culture of getting 50k based on potential and living their lives through social media is a type of pressure and torment placed on them that older players could only dream (well, have a nightmare) about. You try being judged by millions of people for every little thing you do and see how well you fare. They might love the attention but they're also controlled by it because they've gotta live up to an image on social media that isn't them and as such, they're completely out of touch with who they are. Usually when you're out of touch with who you are, you get depression, anxiety, etc and develop seriously unhealthy coping mechanisms. Look at all the ex-pros that turned to drink and ruined their lives because of it. Look at George Best, the first prototype of the modern footballer, he turned out so mentally and physically healthy didn't he? Old pros didn't have any better coping mechanisms than modern players do, they just weren't so visible so we never saw the shite they turned into off the pitch.

It's a dangerous road suggesting someone cries too easily or too regularly, similarly suggesting that someone doesn't cry enough. Who determines what is the right amount? Who gets to say to everyone else that they should react this much for this amount of time?

Nobody does.

We live our lives completely dictated by other people and their opinions and it screws us up. So if a player wants to cry cause he has to wait a week for his next Ferrari and never has to suffer some apparent 'real trauma', then fecking let him.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
These players are under insane pressure, I don't think we can really judge how they should or shouldn't feel in these moments.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
See my post above this for an explanation for why I am not saying that at all. Then climb down off your soap box.
The problem here is that you're relating a footballers life to your own. You have no idea what it's like to be a footballer, what it takes to be a footballer, the amount of hours and hardwork that goes into being able to play professionally; they earn 100 times more than us for a reason, because the chances of a normal person making it to their level is 100 times more difficult than the profession we do. Trying to compare a footballer losing a final/semi-final or a tournament to having a bad day in the office is plainly ignoring the effort that goes into both.

If you think Salah crying about an injury is him 'being a baby', then either you have absolutely no idea why he's crying or you are part of the toxic masculinity culture. You honestly think Salah, who comes from a country that doesn't expect itself to qualify for every WC, who scored the goal to lead his nation to the WC, who is hailed as the hero to lead his nation to their WC and in the best form of his career (and maybe ever), has just realized he won't be able to participate in his country's biggest every tournament, on top of not being able to continue playing in the biggest match of his career, shouldn't cry, you are part of the problem.

RedFish

The problem here is that you're relating a footballers life to your own. You have no idea what it's like to be a footballer, what it takes to be a footballer, the amount of hours and hardwork that goes into being able to play professionally; they earn 100 times more than us for a reason, because the chances of a normal person making it to their level is 100 times more difficult than the profession we do. Trying to compare a footballer losing a final/semi-final or a tournament

If you think Salah crying about an injury is him 'being a baby', then either you have absolutely no idea why he's crying or you are part of the toxic masculinity culture. You honestly think Salah, who comes from a country that doesn't expect itself to qualify for every WC, who scored the goal to lead his nation to the WC, who is hailed as the hero to lead his nation to their WC and in the best form of his career (and maybe ever), has just realized he won't be able to participate in his country's biggest every tournament, on top of not being able to continue playing in the biggest match of his career, shouldn't cry, you are part of the problem.
If you make him cry, you better be able to live with yourself.

matherto

Let's just have it right for one second

I'm laid in bed crying right now

I'm literally beside myself at how wet everyone's become. Yes losing your home family and business is worse than a football match. Your millionaire for playing a game. Grow up ffs
Crying over other people you've never met isn't healthy mate, you shouldn't do that. :rolleyes:

And yeah, society currently dictates that it is worse, and I don't disagree that on balance, it's worse losing your home, family and business than losing a football match but you try telling your brain which doesn't discern a difference, that it's worse and make it stop releasing the chemicals that cause you to feel pain because apparently it's not worthy of it.

Oh right, so because they've got money means they're not allowed to feel sadness? There's more to happiness than millions mate, you know that right?

Seems to me you haven't grown up.

Balerion

To your brain, it isn't though. It's the same chemical reaction to trauma and it doesn't make a judgement on what is more traumatic than something else. As such, reacting in exactly the same fashion to being sexually abused and getting sent off or losing a game is just doing the natural thing your brain is telling you to do.
You can't be serious. :confused: Is your brain unable to prioritize and differentiate? Are you unable to control your emotions?

Kostur

海尔的老板
Crying over a game is a bit much in my opinion. The players need to get a grip. People are dying in the world, yet people crying over something as trivial as a game is pathetic. There is a much needed perspective in football.
And why would they care if somebody completely unknown to them dies somewhere in the world, something they cannot do shit about as the circumstances those people are in are completely out of their hands?

While I myself like to have a good laugh at the whole phenomenon, I can also empathise with them. It's just a game of footy for us, for many of them, it's everyday's training, pushing yourself to your limits, sometimes deluding yourself that you can achieve your goal which can burst in 90 minutes, which naturally brings massive amount of disappointment. It's a huge mental weight they carry. It's not the fans' expectations they fail to meet, it's often their very own massive expectations of themselves that go to shit.

Skills

Snitch
This is kinda weird. Why do you need to compare men crying to women? Men being able to express emotions shouldn't automatically be compared women. This isn't about gender so what's the point in this question in this context?
I'm not the one who bought genders up. The OP specifically has an issue with men crying.

So I'm just wondering, what he thinks makes men so special that they can get away with not crying? Some kind of genetic/physiological advantage?

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
If you make him cry, you better be able to live with yourself.
:lol: Very true. But sometimes crying is better, so I will happily live with myself if it makes someone realize they are wrong. What I don't accept though, which is part of the PC culture, is constant bullying for someone's lack of agreement with another persons view. If he doesn't want to accept it then fine, we'l agree to disagree and move on.

matherto

You can't be serious. :confused: Is your brain unable to prioritize and differentiate? Are you unable to control your emotions?
Your brain doesn't discern the difference between something that society dictates is worse than something else.

It knows pain, it makes the chemical reactions to react accordingly to that pain, you cry. It doesn't care if you've just found out Love Island has been cancelled or you've just had your legs, arms and cock blown off. Same reaction. Something gives off a stimulus, it reacts.

Now social constructs tell us to feel worse for those who've had their legs, arms and cock blown off than those who like Love Island and find out it's been cancelled but that doesn't matter to the person experiencing the pain.

RedFish

Your brain doesn't discern the difference between something that society dictates is worse than something else.

It knows pain, it makes the chemical reactions to react accordingly to that pain, you cry. It doesn't care if you've just found out Love Island has been cancelled or you've just had your legs, arms and cock blown off. Same reaction.

Now social constructs tell us to feel worse for those who've had their legs, arms and cock blown/ off than those who like Love Island and find out it's been cancelled but that doesn't matter to the person experiencing the pain.
Two words and three words. Who'd thought one word would make such a big difference in how I'd feel.

SER19

I don't have a huge problem with it but also don't think expecting professional athletes not to break down in the face of any adversity should be bunched in with expecting men to suppress emotions/male suicide discussions etc.

Gabriel Jesus for example broke down in tears after an injury many many months ago. Yes he might have been fearful of missing the world cup but there was an equal if not greater chance that he wouldn't. I'd personally like to see a little more resilience but don't mind too much

Balerion

It knows pain, it makes the chemical reactions to react accordingly to that pain, you cry. It doesn't care if you've just found out Love Island has been cancelled or you've just had your legs, arms and cock blown off. Same reaction.

Now social constructs tell us to feel worse for those who've had their legs, arms and cock blown off than those who like Love Island and find out it's been cancelled but that doesn't matter to the person experiencing the pain.
Your brain can learn to differentiate. It can also learn to control emotions to some degree. It's part of growing up. If we broke down every time something a little bit sad happened, we probably wouldn't get too far as a species.

Revaulx

I think they’re spoiled narcissistic twats basically.

Though obviously not Brian Greenhoff, who was in tears after the 1976 Cup Final loss.

kidbob

Salah's was understandable. He plays for Liverpool FFS, if that's not a reason to cry I don't know what is.

Lucky number 7

It seems like it’s the in thing now for foreign players. Cry at every chance they get, I mean man up there’s a lot worse things happening in people’s lives! I just hope young kids don’t start copying and crying when they lose games. The rolling about faking injury’s enough.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
And why would they care if somebody completely unknown to them dies somewhere in the world, something they cannot do shit about as the circumstances those people are in are completely out of their hands?

While I myself like to have a good laugh at the whole phenomenon, I can also empathise with them. It's just a game of footy for us, for many of them, it's everyday's training, pushing yourself to your limits, sometimes deluding yourself that you can achieve your goal which can burst in 90 minutes, which naturally brings massive amount of disappointment. It's a huge mental weight they carry. It's not the fans' expectations they fail to meet, it's often their very own massive expectations of themselves that go to shit.
Because they need to realise that their are bigger problems in the world than their ego and a game of football.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
People who are surprised or amused by professional athletes crying in their sport have absolutely no shred of an idea what it takes to become a professional athlete. We got a bunch of keyboard tough guys around here. To question Salah crying is beyond ridiculous when he gets injured weeks before the world cup, with his country in the competition for the first time in almost 30 years and he's their best hope at achieving something.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
These players are under insane pressure, I don't think we can really judge how they should or shouldn't feel in these moments.
That's what I was going to say. They are under constant pressure from the outside and from themselves, the one thing they can't handle or control is an injury, that's the one thing that they absolutely fear.

SteveW

There's nothing exactly wrong with crying and I don't think men should be forced to suppress emotion any more than women. It's healthier to let it out.

But ideally you'd hope adults would have some control over their emotions. Crying in work situations for example is unprofessional. I think people should manage to at least hold it together until they are alone.

Rajma

Absolutely nothing wrong with that, people throwing various perspectives in here...Yeah like someone pumped with adrenaline, high on emotions will have perspective running through his mind the second you lose the final/get injured before wc.

Last edited:

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Nothing wrong with crying, it's on emotion. What are we, cave men? Personally can't recall the last time I cried.

Fine I can, when my ex girl friend broke up with me I cried like a baby.

On a serious note; yes footballers don't have 'real' problems if you compare it to all the drama in the real world. Be that as it may, suffering is relative. When my girlfriend broke up with me, I should've manned up, because at least I live in a country with clean water and I'm healthy. That's not how it works though. You react to a disruption of what is a normal situation for you. If you're happiness is consistently at 10 and suddenly drops down to 5, you will be shocked and might cry. If you're happiness is consistently at 2 and it suddenly rises to 5 you will be elated and might dance around on a table.

This is why having a feckton of money all of your life makes you much less happy than getting said money after being poor most of your life.

Shit's relative.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Because they need to realise that their are bigger problems in the world than their ego and a game of football.
There are always bigger problems in the world than what happens to one particular person. That's not how humans work/feel though.

Last edited:

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
I can see why players might cry when losing a Final as it’s what they’ve built upto all season but then I remember they go home to their mansions where their hot wife is waiting and probably sleep on bags of money.

As for fans though, watching grown adults cry is the killer. They really need to get a grip.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I don't like it. A grown ass man shouldn't cry on a pitch.
Archaic thinking.
Normally you cry when you lose,

imagine preparing 12 hours a day for that 12 sec sprint, losing that would be punch to the gut. specially if you're second by a milisecond
Crying is a normal reaction to overwhelming emotion, positive or negative.

Adisa

It's easy for you to say that. These people devote their lives to it. Who are we to judge?

Adisa

People who are surprised or amused by professional athletes crying in their sport have absolutely no shred of an idea what it takes to become a professional athlete. We got a bunch of keyboard tough guys around here. To question Salah crying is beyond ridiculous when he gets injured weeks before the world cup, with his country in the competition for the first time in almost 30 years and he's their best hope at achieving something.
This. Most people here have never done anything in front of a crowd of four. So, you really can't take them seriously.

Snafu17

I don't see how there's much to discuss about this. There are shit load of personal and cultural differences. You're trying to understand a persons reaction in a very specific high pressure situation that only a few people ever (and no one in this thread) are going to be a part off. It's impossible to empathize.

Revaulx

It seems like it’s the in thing now for foreign players. Cry at every chance they get, I mean man up there’s a lot worse things happening in people’s lives! I just hope young kids don’t start copying and crying when they lose games. The rolling about faking injury’s enough.
Greenhoff (see above) was from Barnsley :D