Footballers crying

Newstar

Supports
Liverpool
Here's Roger Federer crying after loosing Australian Open final to Nadal.

Federer is arguably one of the greatest and most universally beloved sportsman in history of any sport. Sportsman crying isn't something unique to football. How much these guys work to reach these finals is INSANE, coming up short at that moment is absolutely heart breaking. Keep in mind that they are always 1 big injury away from ever playing at the highest level so any final could very well be their last chance to win a trophy.

I am shocked reading stuff like "they shoudln't cry because there are people dying of hunger". If people are not allowed to show emotions over any matter that's not as grim as thousands of children dying of starvation, no one will ever cry about anything else.

This. Pretty much all professionals at the top of their sport cry during moments of adversity. In football alone:

Messi cried when Argentina lost the Coppa America
Ronaldo cried when going off in the Euro 2016 final
Suarez cried when Liverpool got beat by Palace
Terry cried when he missed the pen in the European Cup final
Totti in the Euro 2000 final

None of this matters, these all dedicate their lives to achieve the best. When they fall short, or something takes that moment away from them they let it out in a burst of emotion.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
♪Chops down trees, eats his lunch, goes to the lavatoryyyy♪

AgentP

There's nothing wrong with players showing their emotion on the pitch. We, as fans, don't necessarily have to sympathize with the player crying. It all depends on the team you support and whether you like the player or not.

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
I really don't get it. They cry after hurting a leg, but then walk normally to the locker room. If it was so bad I'd expect at least one physiotherapist to follow him.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
People cry at movies, which in a way is more silly than crying because you've been injured or knocked out of a competition. At least the latter has an actual impact on your life.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
People cry at movies, which in a way is more silly than crying because you've been injured or knocked out of a competition. At least the latter has an actual impact on your life.
I get what you're saying as a comparison point but neither are weird. Crying at movies is an indirect form of expressing emotion (catharsis). It's fine as long as you're not doing it in a flat-roofed pub.

Last edited:

OutOfTowner

JCL Daytripping WUM
I tell you OP, never a truer word has been spoken. I mean there are actually men out there on that pitch who are openly weeping and demonstrating emotion after an unfavourable result. It baffles me that these folk can be so blatantly upset. There are even players smiling after a good win. Smiling! The only time a smile should be even remotely acceptable is after a huge trophy victory and even then it should only be a rueful smile that tells people that you are happy to have won but not so happy as to get carried away and that. Why in my day, we displayed our displeasure with a bad result by seeking out the nearest opposing player and punching him square in the nose. And if we won, we'd demonstrate our unbridled joy by shaking our appendages at the rival fans. Kids these days, what is the world coming to?

vangagal

I tell you OP, never a truer word has been spoken. I mean there are actually men out there on that pitch who are openly weeping and demonstrating emotion after an unfavourable result. It baffles me that these folk can be so blatantly upset. There are even players smiling after a good win. Smiling! The only time a smile should be even remotely acceptable is after a huge trophy victory and even then it should only be a rueful smile that tells people that you are happy to have won but not so happy as to get carried away and that. Why in my day, we displayed our displeasure with a bad result by seeking out the nearest opposing player and punching him square in the nose. And if we won, we'd demonstrate our unbridled joy by shaking our appendages at the rival fans. Kids these days, what is the world coming to?
Sarcasm? Tough guy? Try to being funny? Or its real? Which one is it?

Zlatattack

Are those the only two options?

Just seems to me that young people are very soft these days. Ever had to hire a millennial?
I've hired millennials regularly and they're great. Treat them with respect, assign duties clearly, give them guidance and support - I've never had a problem. I've hired about 20 odd people in thier late teens and early 20s and only regretted 2. 1 was not qualified for the job and struggled (but tried very hard), the other was a lazy son of a bitch. Young people just need a nurturing environment to flourish in, I pride myself in thinking my subordinates see themselves as my colleagues not my minions. Its the culture in our workplace.

----
Grown men crying is a bit soft by my book but I'd rather see them cry then bottle up the stress and emotions and resort to drug or alcohol abuse, or become compulsive gamblers or face stress.

These are very young men, they face very stiff competition, they have very short careers, live in the media spotlight and face constant public criticism. Their work environments are mentally unhealthy too with managers often under pressure for results and agents looking to put thier fees ahead of the players best interests.

Cassady

Supports Liverpool, Not Accrington Stanley
Supports
Accrington Stanley.
Let them cry I say. Better to let out those raw emotions out sometimes than to hold them in. Nothing wrong with it. There's too many stigmas attached to men crying.
Apart from Nani that time.

;)

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
People complain that footballers are mercenaries that don't give a shit about the badge as long as they get paid.

Then the footballers show genuine emotion and people complain that grown ass men shouldn't cry.

Baffling.

Hynestein

There's a pungent scent of toxic masculinity off of this thread OP.

Someone said earlier (can't be arsed going back to find and quote them) that they find it hard to envision crying over their job. To be fair, if you're a footballer you'll have trained most days a week from your youth, and when you hit a certain age it's 5 days a week, match on Saturday and recovery. For the overwhelming majority of footballers (barring Benoit Assou-Ekotto) this isn't their job, it's their life since a very young age. Not just heading to the office and counting down the seconds til Friday.

If we take the most recent examples in Salah and Carvajal, in the situation that you have to leave the pitch so early on in the biggest game in club football and potentially miss representing your nation at the World Cup, I think it's more than fair to shed a few tears. Arguably more cajones in them to do it in front of the millions watching rather than wait to get down the tunnel.

Reactions: Invictus

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness

Someone said earlier (can't be arsed going back to find and quote them) that they find it hard to envision crying over their job. To be fair, if you're a footballer you'll have trained most days a week from your youth, and when you hit a certain age it's 5 days a week, match on Saturday and recovery. For the overwhelming majority of footballers (barring Benoit Assou-Ekotto) this isn't their job, it's their life since a very young age. Not just heading to the office and counting down the seconds til Friday.

If we take the most recent examples in Salah and Carvajal, in the situation that you have to leave the pitch so early on in the biggest game in club football and potentially miss representing your nation at the World Cup, I think it's more than fair to shed a few tears. Arguably more cajones in them to do it in front of the millions watching rather than wait to get down the tunnel.
Honestly, feck off with this toxic masculinity shit. It’s like the buzz word of the day. You can’t say anything anymore without the faux rage of social justice warriors. I’m as left wing, and equal rights as they come. Raised in an all female household, and have a daughter in an interracial family, and I still think it’s a bit soft for grown adults to be crying over work. Men or women. It’s got nothing to do with masculinity and everything to do with maturity.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Honestly, feck off with this toxic masculinity shit. It’s like the buzz word of the day. You can’t say anything anymore without the faux rage of social justice warriors. I’m as left wing, and equal rights as they come. Raised in an all female household, and have a daughter in an interracial family, and I still think it’s a bit soft for grown adults to be crying over work. Men or women. It’s got nothing to do with masculinity and everything to do with maturity.
Do you want Footballers to think of it as just a job? Don't you want them to be passionate about it?

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
This thread is weird. The OP is acting like we're discussing Lingard bursting into tears after losing to Huddersfield or something.

Sure, if that ever happens then we can cede that their maturity and/or masculinity might be in question, but until then I reckon we're all going to have to accept that these are grown men representing how much they care about the sport, their team, and what their absence likely means to their countrymen, especially in the case of Salah and Carvajal who knowingly wept like little puny babies because they knew they'd injured themselves three weeks before the World fecking Cup.

Also, fair feck's to them for crying to half the world. That takes some balls when you think about it.

Last edited:

Loublaze

ATLien

Reading this part reminded me of this:

“If I was born again, I wouldn’t be a football goalkeeper,” said Valdés. “They convinced me I had a lot of talent but it’s not an easy path and it hasn’t made up for all the years of suffering. There have been many days when I haven’t wanted to be there, but I do it since I was convinced when I was young.

“I have walked the path with discipline but it has brought me thousands of moments of suffering.”

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...united-louis-van-gaal-barcelona-pep-guardiola

Kharhaz

Supports
Liverpool
Love this thread, the grown men crying thing. Here is a question, what age are you classed as an adult?

Tricky one for any parent that one, I would say 20, others would say 18, some lower. You have to take into account the stress levels of that age and the situations.

So, lets say, 16, many of us class as teenage years, however if your 16 and having to live an adult life, thats unfair. And here is where the pressure begins.

Whatever course you live through life it comes to a head, whatever career you choose it comes to a head, the defining moment when all the hard work you have done throughout your life there comes a moment when its a "Here is your reward" moment. Those moments, in any life or career are rare and so you have to take them when they arrive. And if you dont?

Many parents have these stories which they pass down to the kids, I also love the millenials thing, has anyone ever considered that maybe the millenials, unlike us older folk, actually listen to the parents? respect them? I loved my dad but whenever a lecture was coming I zoned out. The millenials listen perhaps?

Todays society isnt weaker, they are more in touch with reality than any of us have ever been, and with good reason. That one golden chance for the average joe comes around once in a lifetime, and when you miss it, its hard to deal with.

Footballers crying isnt an issue, its the pressure placed on every one of us thats the issue. Whether that be through parents, partners or bosses, the pressure is always there, how people deal with that pressure should not be an issue, the issue should be why its there in the first place.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
I think crying is very normal when you're very invested and focused on certain activity only to not reach your goals or in this case losing a game. Some people handle it better than others but performing at the highest level in sports requires a lot of involvement and concentration so it's only normal to cry if you lose, or even if you win, as the emotions can get overwhelming.

Cloud7

It’s not just work though. As a footballer you dedicate your entire life to football. It’s not like another job that you pick up in your 20s. This is your whole life. You’re obviously going to be far more invested in it than any of us will be with our jobs.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
It’s not just work though. As a footballer you dedicate your entire life to football. It’s not like another job that you pick up in your 20s. This is your whole life. You’re obviously going to be far more invested in it than any of us will be with our jobs.
And they are done by 35. Whereas we keep going until we are 65. So depends on your age doesn’t it?

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
I'd argue this point in reverse. Karius was in a position in which running down the tunnel would have got him pelters. To his credit, he was brave and apologised to the people that travelled miles of money to watch him spoil their night. Getting upset along the way is justified.

Crying because you've pulled your hamstring is just daft. It's already been mentioned above that it doesn't present a great image in terms of team psychology. You're injured. Get up, get on with it and give the bloke who's replacing you a high five and some encouragement. Don't sob and sulk like a toddler.
Apologizing when you're crying isn't brave. He was basically doing a "please don't kill me" instead of just going inside. Instead Liverpool fans had to look at him walking around the pitch crying alone while Real were celebrating the win.

Salah and Carvajal didn't just get injured. If it were any other game of the season they wouldn't have cried. The fact was they were missing the final and in their mind probably the WC too and in Salah's case his first WC and possibly the only one he'd go to.

El-Buitre

Supports
Real Madrid
It's a bit pathetic imo to cry for a football game, i dont remember players crying 20 or 30 years ago on a field..

Daniel Moore

What a pathetic, close minded attitude you have.
Look I don't want to get personal here we have a difference of opinion. I find grown men roaring over sport quite pathetic.

I've seen and gone through enough in life that That's my opinion I think what an absolute fanny grow up.
Unless you are 6ft4, ripped and packed with muscle, cut trees with an axe and fight alligators with your bare hands I'm not having that.

It's laughable for some Joe Schmoe to try to say who is and isn't a man.
You've seen me round :)

Josep Dowling

I can’t see any issue with players getting emotional. Football is not like a normal job.

However I do find it odd when adult fans cry when say their team gets relegated. But then supporting United I’ve never had to watch the reality of knowing you will be watching Burton Albion next season rather than Liverpool.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Without images this thread lacks context.

Karius after the CL final.

The Poor little lamb.

montpelier

I don't think it matters one way or the other. Crying for individual reasons in a still active team situation, I don't think is that 'on' maybe.

I laugh when the ones I don't like do it. Suarez, John Terry.

'Man up' is a pretty silly argument - if there had been some 'manning up' to start with, quite a lot of the crying doesn't happen.

Also a non-crying meltdown is sometimes just as gruesome to watch - Van de Velde slapping his golf ball all round the course when he had The Open won for example.

Last edited:

vidic blood & sand

From as far back as I can remember, players balled there eyes out when going up to collect their FA cup losers medals.