Footballers with low pain thresholds

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I’ve noticed that Martinelli seems to go down in what looks like career-ending agony at least once in most games he plays. Giroud was exactly the same. Every single game he’d go down looking like he was out for weeks, only to be absolutely grand a few minutes later.

Any others that can be added to this list?
It really is pathetic isn't it to see grown men behaving like that. For me, it is certainly spoiling the game of football. And it is getting worse. Come on guys. Behave.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I injured myself repeatedly while playing football; head split open, MCL, broken hand, groin strain (repeatedly), abdomen, sprained ankles (repeatedly), bruised heel, bruised tailbone, knocked unconscious, you name it. I'd guess, at least in my case, is that adrenaline makes it relatively unnoticeable.

The pain from the MCL was sharp but only for a moment. In every instance the pain from the injury was worse well after the fact, with the worst pain coming from aggravating injured ligaments.
I'm not sure you were playing football right.

Needham

It really is pathetic isn't it to see grown men behaving like that. For me, it is certainly spoiling the game of football. And it is getting worse. Come on guys. Behave.
What do you expect? You're talking about a generation of men raised on Straight Eye for The Queer Guy who get soy injections while on one knee for the kick off. They go down easy because they are raised submissive.

FiftChoice

It really is pathetic isn't it to see grown men behaving like that.
Personally I don’t get this “hard man” attitud, I might be wrong but I feel it’s especially prevalent in British male culture? Not important though, I just don’t get it. “Men don’t cry” “deal with it” “sort yourself out”. Those kind of comments from what is perceived as soft behaviour,
It’s not that I take exception or feel offended, I just don’t get the attitude.

Anyway, I’m not one to cry from pain myself. I’m much more likely to feel anger, at the pain, at me being stupid enough to stub my toe or the idiot that tackled me

But I’ve had severe migraines and various injuries of sufficient pain that I might have teared up at occasion.

if someone actually feels like crying, I just don’t see why I should care or judge or feel like it’s pathetic. I just don’t. Crying is a way to release strain in a way and some people just take to it easier than others.

Disclaimer; since I’ve become a dad I have never been more likely to cry from weird shit. I watched a cartoon a few days ago with my 3yr old that made me tear up.. So, maybe it’s just me that’s weird?

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Hate myself for saying this but maybe Rashford?
If Rashfords back injury is the same as I remember it as (spinal break around th11) then he is doing really well at hiding the pain, outside of it affecting his game naturally.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Personally I don’t get this “hard man” attitud, I might be wrong but I feel it’s especially prevalent in British male culture? Not important though, I just don’t get it. “Men don’t cry” “deal with it” “sort yourself out”. Those kind of comments from what is perceived as soft behaviour,
It’s not that I take exception or feel offended, I just don’t get the attitude.

Anyway, I’m not one to cry from pain myself. I’m much more likely to feel anger, at the pain, at me being stupid enough to stub my toe or the idiot that tackled me

But I’ve had severe migraines and various injuries of sufficient pain that I might have teared up at occasion.

if someone actually feels like crying, I just don’t see why I should care or judge or feel like it’s pathetic. I just don’t. Crying is a way to release strain in a way and some people just take to it easier than others.

Disclaimer; since I’ve become a dad I have never been more likely to cry from weird shit. I watched a cartoon a few days ago with my 3yr old that made me tear up.. So, maybe it’s just me that’s weird?
All of what you say is quite understandable.
But the perceived low pain threshold is little more than simulation, the end product being cheating.
I dislike cheats of any kind. Especially in professional football.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Half of these aren’t having a low pain threshold. Just players that are performing gamesmanship.

Richarlison for example gets lumps kicked out of him each week, goes down a lot but is clearly not actually in pain. He’s just performing for the foul.

FiftChoice

All of what you say is quite understandable.
But the perceived low pain threshold is little more than simulation, the end product being cheating.
I dislike cheats of any kind. Especially in professional football.
Ah, sure, if that was your angle then I agree 100%, it’s pathetic. Lamela vs Martial for instance, oh man that stuff riles me up so much

acnumber9

Adding Lacazette to this list who just screamed his fecking head off after a light kick in the back of his calf.

It would be hilarious if athletes in different sports were such massive cry-babies. Imagine the histrionics in a boxing ring?!
I would consider paying to watch that. Once.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Adding Lacazette to this list who just screamed his fecking head off after a light kick in the back of his calf.

It would be hilarious if athletes in different sports were such massive cry-babies. Imagine the histrionics in a boxing ring?!
:lol: knew exactly what this would be about. I honestly thought Lacazette must have a serious injury with the noise he made. Was looking at his leg/ankle to see if any of it was pointing in the wrong direction.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Its not that they're pussies, its that they know how to take advantage of a situation by exaggerating it to screw their opponents.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
It's something I learned very quickly watching Serie A in the 90's on C4. :lol:

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

Boxers have everything to lose in convincing the judges that the opponents gave them a proper walloping.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Boxers have everything to lose in convincing the judges that the opponents gave them a proper walloping.
Heh. True. How about rugby players? The howls of agony from every ruck and tackle would be hilarious.

On a side note, field hockey has a far from macho reputation and every game sees players get belted with a stick or hard/heavy ball without a whimper.

And don’t get me started on how much tougher hurlers are than PL footballers...

JPRouve

Scout
Heh. True. How about rugby players? The howls of agony from every ruck and tackle would be hilarious.

On a side note, field hockey has a far from macho reputation and every game sees players get belted with a stick or hard/heavy ball without a whimper.

And don’t get me started on how much tougher hurlers are than PL footballers...
Rugby players cheat all the time, so if there was an advantage to gain they would do it but since contact is widely allowed the potential benefits are slim and it's the same for all the sports that you mentioned. A more appropriate comparison to football would be basketball and the later are kings of flopping, minimal compact will see giants fall down as if they had been shot because contacts are supposed to be strictly limited.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Given how he shits his guts out at the mere possibility of contact with another player I’m going with ddg

Irrational.

Lacazette is a fecking fanny. Today was absolutely pathetic. I genuinely thought he’d snapped his achilles or broken his ankle, only to see him running around moments later.

His reaction definitely got Pieters booked.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Rugby players cheat all the time, so if there was an advantage to gain they would do it but since contact is widely allowed the potential benefits are slim and it's the same for all the sports that you mentioned. A more appropriate comparison to football would be basketball and the later are kings of flopping, minimal compact will see giants fall down as if they had been shot because contacts are supposed to be strictly limited.

Flopping is a whole other thing. Well, a slightly different thing anyway. I think there’s a spectrum of football shit-housery where acting to win a free is slightly less egregious than acting to get an opponent booked/sent off. Especially when the latter involves the sort of embarrassing shrieking we saw from Lacazette today.

JPRouve

Scout
Flopping is a whole other thing. Well, a slightly different thing anyway. I think there’s a spectrum of football shit-housery where acting to win a free is slightly less egregious than acting to get an opponent booked/sent off. Especially when the latter involves the sort of embarrassing shrieking we saw from Lacazette today.
Not exactly because in basketball there is a limited amount of personal fouls that a player can do, so flopping isn't different to trying to get an opponent booked and it also has a direct effect on the amount of minutes that a player will most likely play. But yes, we are in presence of shithousery more than "softness".

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Its not that they're pussies, its that they know how to take advantage of a situation by exaggerating it to screw their opponents.
I'd say it's definitely this. I'd wager most footballers are pretty tough, but the screams and rolls are exaggerated to get the referee to take notice. Once they get what they're looking for, they often make an instant recovery. Referees buy it every time, so it's no wonder players keep doing it.

This is a personal favourite, a plastic bottle taking out a whole team

Look at Suarez, it doesn't even touch him, and there's a significant delay before he decided to play up to it. There's another video of this incident with Neymar laying on the ground afterwards too. It's like footballers are hard wired to react that way to everything.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Lucas Hernandez. I support Bayern and even I can’t stand his acts. Must be infuriating for opposing fans.

JPRouve

Scout
Lucas Hernandez. I support Bayern and even I can’t stand his acts. Must be infuriating for opposing fans.
I found him hilarious because he will flop and pretend to be on the edge of death but he is also as dirty as it gets, he has no problem discreetly kicking opponents or being excessively aggressive until the referee decides to do something about it.

Last edited:

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
I found hilarious because he will flop and pretend to be on the edge of death but he is also as dirty as it gets, he has no problem discreetly kicking opponents or being excessively aggressive until the referee decides to do something about it.
I do not enjoy having him in „my“ team one bit. And i was loving having little shits like van Bommel in it. Hernandez is simply pathetic.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I'd say it's definitely this. I'd wager most footballers are pretty tough, but the screams and rolls are exaggerated to get the referee to take notice. Once they get what they're looking for, they often make an instant recovery. Referees buy it every time, so it's no wonder players keep doing it.

This is a personal favourite, a plastic bottle taking out a whole team

Look at Suarez, it doesn't even touch him, and there's a significant delay before he decided to play up to it. There's another video of this incident with Neymar laying on the ground afterwards too. It's like footballers are hard wired to react that way to everything.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I don’t think some understand the thread. Being injury prone & having low pain threshold in not the sane thing. In fact having a high pain threshold actually increases your chances of suffering a serious injury often as you ignore the pain or don’t feel it. Pain is your body telling you there is a problem. If you continue to play you aggravate the issue.

anyway, most of them are play acting to get others booked.

JPRouve

Scout
I don't remember any footballers ever using fake blood to cheat. Rugby players can pipe down about faking injury.
To be clear, the fake blood was to allow a player to comeback and it wasn't decided by players.

Bale Bale Bale

Supports
Spurs
Ndombele is hilarious for this. Hobbles around like an old man after every time he gets clipped.