Former POTUS George H W Bush Dies aged 94

SirAF

Ageist
What do you think the report function is for ? We get loads of reports where posters are tacitly asking us to take action against offensive posters. @SirAF is merely doing it transparently.
Thanks. I’m not trying to be an ass, I just thought it was wildly inappropriate.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Can I just clarify that the gorilla with a machine gun gif was not a comment on US foreign policy under George H W Bush, nor was it a comment on the Bush family resemblence to our ape cousins. It was not intended as a metaphor whatsoever, and was intended as a literal depiction of a Gorilla going crazy with a tommy gun. So don't get it twisted people.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Can I just clarify that the gorilla with a machine gun gif was not a comment on US foreign policy under George H W Bush, nor was it a comment on the Bush family resemblence to our ape cousins. It was not intended as a metaphor whatsoever, and was intended as a literal depiction of a Gorilla going crazy with a tommy gun. So don't get it twisted people.
We generally disapprove of Gifs in the CE forum

ManUtd1999

In this era of Trump, we got to be better. It’s unfortunate that this poster was banned, but that was very inappropriate.

We should be better than this and not let the crazy win.

17 Van der Gouw

biffa bin
Thanks. I’m not trying to be an ass, I just thought it was wildly inappropriate.
Exactly. I'm not saying that I agreed with Bush Snr's politics, in fact I know very little about his tenure and I'm sure there are lots of things I could find about his governance that I strongly dislike. Call me old fashioned, I just believe (on the whole) in respect for the dead. He wasn't Hitler or Bin Laden after all.

I really hate what follows when any past world leader dies, especially one with any kind of right wing tendencies because soon after, people start to lower themselves and start flinging muck. It's predictable and tired, it's certainly not witty or intelligent.

It was similar when Thatcher died. Again, not a politician I have a heap of affection for, but why people feel the need to stoop immediately to vulgarity is beyond me.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Exactly. I'm not saying that I agreed with Bush Snr's politics, in fact I know very little about his tenure and I'm sure there are lots of things I could find about his governance that I strongly dislike. Call me old fashioned, I just believe (on the whole) in respect for the dead. He wasn't Hitler or Bin Laden after all.

I just really hate what follows when any past world leader dies, especially one with any kind of right wing tendencies that some people lower themselves and start flinging muck.

It was similar when Thatcher died. Again, not a politician I have a heap of affection for, but why people feel the need to stoop immediately to vulgarity is beyond me.

If people have made a career out of making other peoples' lives worse, the least they deserve is a bit of vitriol when they're dead and can't even hear it. It's a release.

InfiniteBoredom

Its not as if @Eboue wouldn’t direct the same vitriol to Bush Snr. when he was alive.

Being dead doesn’t absolve you of your sins, nor does it entail respect.

SirAF

Ageist

I just really hate what follows when any past world leader dies, especially one with any kind of right wing tendencies that some people lower themselves and start flinging muck.

He certainly wasn't. Look, he was a Republican so naturally there's going to be a lot that us "normal" people disagree with (abortion, tax, religion what not) but he did play an important part in the reunification of Germany and the dismemberment of the Soviet Union. Far more knowledgeable people on this subject than any of us has claimed he could have had a Peace prize for that work.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself

I really hate what follows when any past world leader dies, especially one with any kind of right wing tendencies because soon after, people start to lower themselves and start flinging muck. It's predictable and tired, it's certainly not witty or intelligent.

Why do you think people shouldn't be disrespectful about a person's action if it has lead to killings of many people? Even if they're dead, are people just supposed to forget their actions, say RIP and move on?

SirAF

Ageist
Why do you think people shouldn't be disrespectful about a person's action if it has lead to killings of many people? Even if they're dead, are people just supposed to forget their actions, say RIP and move on?

That's a bit of a naive view, is it not? Is there a single US President you can't say that about?

And I am FAR FAR from being a conservative right winger - just to clarify.

KM

That's a bit of a naive view, is it not? Is there a single US President you can't say that about?
So that makes it OK then?

Besides mine was a general point. I wasn't talking about Bush Sr specifically,.

SirAF

Ageist
Let me rephrase, do you think it is possible to run the US (overseas operations and all that entails) without casualties? I'm not saying it's OK, I'm saying it is what it is. This obsessions liberals have with calling the Bush family devils is quite weird - and I'm closer to being a liberal than a conservative!

Bojan11

They could just say nothing.

I don’t see the point of mocking them when they are dead. You are lowering yourself to the person you are mocking. Be better than what they are. But that’s hard for some people. It’s not the first time Eboue has done this. He was in the Paul Allen thread doing the exact same because he donated to republicans.

SirAF

Ageist

I don’t see the point of mocking them when they are dead. You are lowering yourself to the person you are mocking. Be better than what they are. But that’s hard for some people. It’s not the first time Eboue has done this. He was in the Paul Allen thread doing the exact same because he donated to republicans.
Exactly, that was on my mind as well - that he had priors for tasteless posts like this. Imagine hating someone just because they are donating to the wrong party (and yes, I vehemently dislike what the GOP has become myself).

KM

Eboue was infracted for his post and I didn't agree with his posts.

But at the same time I don't believe in an hard and fast rule of respecting the dead when it comes to politicians. I don't know much about Bush Sr. policies but there are a lot of politicians currently living who don't deserve that respect.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
One-termer who as President presided over some major world events but kind of failed to leave his mark on them. Weird/unfulfilled legacy.

Bojan11

Eboue was infracted for his post and I didn't agree with his posts.

But at the same time I don't believe in an hard and fast rule of respecting the dead when it comes to politicians. I don't know much about Bush Sr. policies but there are a lot of politicians currently living who don't deserve that respect.
I don’t mind people discussing his policies or how stupid he was as president.

But saying stuff like nice is sinking to their level. I don’t expect this thread to be full of RIPs or whatever. Discuss all the good and bad shit as you wish. But let’s be a bit more classy than mocking someone who is dead.

Pagh Wraith

Wow. No need for that. That's between Eboue and the mods. It's almost like you are asking them to punish him because you feel it's a post worth an infraction. That's low. I'm glad you're not a mod.
You cannot be serious. What a lack of self-awareness considering the vile stuff you, Silva and some of the other left-wing extremists spout in various threads.

And this is not me defending George H. W. Bush, a terrible person indeed.

SirAF

Ageist
Exactly. The actual offensive posts are those that glorify or pay any type of respect to that sociopath scum

Unbelievable.
That's a bit harsh on Eboue, to be fair. He's alright when he's not hating on politicians or wealthy people.

EyeInTheSky

I'm sure no amount of mocking will equate to the crimes, theft mass murder and lies committed by him and his family generation after generation.

If only people felt 1/100000000000000 of the offense or outrage towards these things than people calling him what he was.

KM

But saying stuff like nice is sinking to their level. I don’t expect this thread to be full of RIPs or whatever. Discuss all the good and bad shit as you wish. But let’s be a bit more classy than mocking someone who is dead.
I'm sorry but I find this a ridiculous position to take.

You seem to be taking more offence at what people are saying after a politician's dead rather than some of the actual policies of these politicians.

SirAF

Ageist
I'm sure no amount of mocking will equate to the crimes, theft mass murder and lies committed by him and his family generation after generation.

If only people felt 1/100000000000000 of the offense or outrage towards these things than people calling him what he was.
Dude, I like you but this sounds like some conspiracy theory stuff.

prateik

Does no one remember the Thatcher thread? This has been extremely polite and respectful so far..

GiddyUp

In this era of Trump, we got to be better. It’s unfortunate that this poster was banned, but that was very inappropriate.

We should be better than this and not let the crazy win.
There are crazies at both end of the spectrum and some are as equally crazy and hateful as each other. I hate the Bushs for everything they have done but having lost both parents within the last couple of years I have sincere empathy. Won't have it for Murdoch, Cheney or trump though.
Condolences to the Bush family and I sincerely hope that there are none of you left that want to do more damage to society.

King Eric 7

I wouldn't say a bad word about Bush now that he's passed away. But if the current one were to die, I may say something like "good riddance" if only because it would get him out of office and change would happen. I think I'd tolerate a lot more vitriol if it were aimed at someone who is affecting people's lives right now, but that's not the case with Bush Snr.

Bojan11

I'm sorry but I find this a ridiculous position to take.

You seem to be taking more offence at what people are saying after a politician's dead rather than some of the actual policies of these politicians.
I’m not referring to just Bush though.

Eboue was doing the exact same thing in the Paul Allen thread. Not everyone associated with Republican Party is some evil mastermind. Paul Allen did a lot of good for the city of Seattle and donated heavily to countless charities.

No I’m saying don’t lower yourself to their standard.

SirAF

Ageist
I wouldn't say a bad word about Bush now that he's passed away. But if the current one were to die, I may say something like "good riddance" if only because it would get him out of office and change would happen. I think I'd tolerate a lot more vitriol if it were aimed at someone who is affecting people's lives right now, but that's not the case with Bush Snr.
That’s just the thing, isn’t it. #41 has been out of office for almost 30 years - and don’t forget about the work he’s been doing with Bill Clinton in the aftermath of Katrina and other disasters.

GiddyUp

That's a bit harsh on Eboue, to be fair. He's alright when he's not hating on politicians or wealthy people.
Or dems or independents or anyone that doesn't hold his views. I expect he will want to do a Frank the Tank and go streaking in the quad when Hillary dies but more likely he will bitch and moan behind his keyboard.

GiddyUp

I am kinda looking forward to this week's coverage of him. After any public figure dies, especially a leader they will cover his life extensively. This guy has been around some really shady shit over the last 50 years and this week I will be diving head first in to that rabbit hole. I do believe he was in Dallas on the day JFK was shot:eek:

SirAF

Ageist
If someone you really feel was a terrible person dies then a post of "feck that dude" on a football forum is not really that low.
That would have been the case of Eboue’s first post that just said «nice» - which was tacky enough but I knew it was coming, so big deal? The follow up with a celebratory gif and a graphic description about a recently deceased 94 year old removing his ribs to suck himself probably went to far..

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout