Fortifying in January, one position to strengthen: what would you go for?

Position

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Frank Grimes

I think Pogba is an attacking midfielder. If we could get a top class midfielder to partner Matic that would be brilliant. I don't think Pogba/Matic is a great balance,Pogba is a great player but I'm not convinced he is great in a 2.

redIndianDevil

I think Pogba is an attacking midfielder. If we could get a top class midfielder to partner Matic that would be brilliant. I don't think Pogba/Matic is a great balance,Pogba is a great player but I'm not convinced he is great in a 2.
Yeah we are yet to replace Scholes, Carrick was quite good but Jorginho is the one we should go for. Matic is not creative enough.

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
Give me Ozil and Griezmann please.

—————— Lukaku
Martial ——— Ozil ——— Griezmann
———— Pogba —— Matic
————— 4 defenders ——————
——————— DDG

...take care of RB and/or LB in the Summer and just work with that we have there now, especially with the re-emergence of Young and Shaw coming back to health. Manageable situation for this season compared to needing a proper CM and RW.

BehemothTerror

Another vote for RW. We desperately need someone comfortable hugging the touchline. The vast majority of our attackers try to cut inside (Martial, Rashford, Mata) meaning we have no real width and teams just pack the middle to stall our attacks.

Mcking

Pogba has actually played all but one of his games this season in a 2man midfield and was 'great'.

Mcking

Depends on the formation we will be playing for the rest of the season. If it's 352 or 433, then a AM/CM; if it's 4231, then a RW.

Andersons Dietician

Another good CM so we can shift to a 3 in midfield. Just gives better balance to cover Pogba wanting to go wondering and abandon midfield. Plus it would hopefully give us another talented midfielder so if something happens to Pogba we can just change shape. Quite like Goretzka but if I had may way Saul would be on top of that list.

Mcking

Yeah we are yet to replace Scholes, Carrick was quite good but Jorginho is the one we should go for. Matic is not creative enough.
The DM doesn't have to be creative. Even if you insist, Matic got ?6 assists last season, so its definitely due to having a specific role here..

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Number 10.

I'd love Ozil.

----------------DDG-----------------
Jones---------Bailley--------Lindelof
Val------Matic-------Pogba------Shaw
-----------------Ozil------------------
-----------Rom------Martial----------

Last edited:

M4YON

Has to be a RW.

We literally have no RW at the club which considering the depth we have elsewhere in other positions is nuts.

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
Has to be a RW.

We literally have no RW at the club which considering the depth we have elsewhere in other positions is nuts.
Wish there were duel/combo options to choose from in the poll.

United have 4 positions in need of immediate or in the near future upgrades. Safe to say those 4 positions in no particular order are: RW, CAM(#10), LB, RB.

United have the financial flexibilty to add 2 now - especially if Ozil can be brought in on a free - and 2+ easily in the summer. Our defense is one of the best in the league when healthy. GA speaks for itself. Valencia is still a stud, it’s usually about what CBs are healthy/injured that effect us the most. Young has ran away with the LB spot and completely rejuvenated his game to his prior, prime form. And with Shaw back, that’s 2 healthy, reliable, different dynamic options any given day for LB. Again, Valencia has the RB spot locked down and we have the best CB depth in the league. Overall our defense is still one of the best stats wise.

I feel if we could improve our attack, it would push us ahead of City in terms of overall team balance. Right now they have that game breaking offensive ability having the abundance of attacking options which is really the only thing they have on us. Defense and goaltending, obvious nod for United. If we are able to hypothetically (and very realistically) get Ozil at no cost in January and snag Griezmann, we instantly become better than City, resolve the CAM/#10 + RW issue for the remainder of the season. And then some to work with in the Summer where we can spend how much ever is needed to find a successor to Valencia and an every day starting RB.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Top class player? I'd probably have to go for a midfield playmaker. That one midfielder who dictates the tempo of the entire team be transformative for us.

I actually think we need a right winger more but not necessarily someone top drawer.

Or we could find a right wing playmaker from somewhere.

But I really don't know who is available and fits the bill for any of the above.

M4YON

Wish there were duel/combo options to choose from in the poll.

United have 4 positions in need of immediate or in the near future upgrades. Safe to say those 4 positions in no particular order are: RW, CAM(#10), LB, RB.

United have the financial flexibilty to add 2 now - especially if Ozil can be brought in on a free - and 2+ easily in the summer. Our defense is one of the best in the league when healthy. GA speaks for itself. Valencia is still a stud, it’s usually about what CBs are healthy/injured that effect us the most. Young has ran away with the LB spot and completely rejuvenated his game to his prior, prime form. And with Shaw back, that’s 2 healthy, reliable, different dynamic options any given day for LB. Again, Valencia has the RB spot locked down and we have the best CB depth in the league. Overall our defense is still one of the best stats wise.

I feel if we could improve our attack, it would push us ahead of City in terms of overall team balance. Right now they have that game breaking offensive ability having the abundance of attacking options which is really the only thing they have on us. Defense and goaltending, obvious nod for United. If we are able to hypothetically (and very realistically) get Ozil at no cost in January and snag Griezmann, we instantly become better than City, resolve the CAM/#10 + RW issue for the remainder of the season. And then some to work with in the Summer where we can spend how much ever is needed to find a successor to Valencia and an every day starting RB.
There is no duel option because its unlikely we will solve more than one area in January.

Very rarely are top players available and ones that can be tempted are cup tied in one way or another.

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States
There is no duel option because its unlikely we will solve more than one area in January.

Very rarely are top players available and ones that can be tempted are cup tied in one way or another.
If the right player is available who cares if he is Cup tied. Ideally anyone we buy would be with the club at least 4 seasons so if he is a player at the top of our want list and he becomes available get him!

M4YON

If the right player is available who cares if he is Cup tied. Ideally anyone we buy would be with the club at least 4 seasons so if he is a player at the top of our want list and he becomes available get him!
I imagine it plays some part in the process of buying a player better to not be cup tied but obviously not essential.

Yahoo have just done a piece on our transfer business saying were looking to strengthen at Left back, in attack and in midfield.

Can't see it if he only has £90 million to spend that's not as much as it used to be in the trabsfer market.

Options
Danny Rose
Milinkovic Savic
Goretzka
Ozil

Devil may care

The RW option is well ahead in the poll but I don't see a good option available in January and frankly if Jose sticks with the 3-4-3 it's irrelevant as it's a 2 striker system with a #10/AM in behind. I don't see any of the latter options I like being available in January so I opted for LB, Young can rotate between both wingback roles and we can get an actual lefty in at LWB.

Mcking

I disagree, he did some great things but he leaves Matic with too much to do at times defensively.
And Matic has more than handled and got the job done. We are yet to lose or draw a game this season with Matic and Pogba in a two. The only game we've play a 3-man midfield this season - at Stoke, we were seriously devoid of creativity and our forwards were isolated as Pogba kept dropping deep to pick up possession.
He's shown he's better picking up possession and instigating attacks from deep. Even if we have to play a third midfielder, it has to be someone a la Iniesta, someone to play as the most advanced midfielder.

Mcking

A central midfielder (hopefully Goreztka) so we can move Pogba into the #10 position. Playing Pogba in midfield with Matic leaves our midfield very exposed and a lot of team our down our throats as soon as they get the ball.
Pogba's skillset is not fitted for the No.10 position - it's there for all to see. He's not pretty good in tight spaces and lacks the nimbleness to play that role.
Futhermore, that position will seriously reduce his influence as he'd have just a fourth of the pitch to aim at when we are on the attack.

Member 90887

RW is absolutely essential. Contrary to majority's opinion, I think Valencia is useless going forward.

I completely agree with that, he's very good defensively but my god, he offers nothing going forwards, it's either shoot at the opponent feet or look for a team mate that can do something with the ball, preferably in an easy to pass to position.

But i think that the fact that we don't have a good RW highlights that a lot and that it should be easier for him once we have a good one.

Member 90887

If the 90M£ for the January transfer window are correct.

a 30M£ max bid for Mahrez in January would be good, he'll keep his resale value if we want to ship him out in a year or two + he can play in the CL.

a 20M£ bid for Ozil, Free in the summer so 20 to 25M£ should do.

a 40/45 Mil bid for Rose.

Mcking

I completely agree with that, he's very good defensively but my god, he offers nothing going forwards, it's either shoot at the opponent feet or look for a team mate that can do something with the ball, preferably in an easy to pass to position.

But i think that the fact that we don't have a good RW highlights that a lot and that it should be easier for him once we have a good one.
Yea, a RW with good delivery will mask his poor final ball in attack.

The Purley King

a 30M£ max bid for Mahrez in January would be good, he'll keep his resale value if we want to ship him out in a year or two + he can play in the CL.

Love the mahrez shout. I wanted him in the summer too. If we think we can counter effectively now just wait til he gets involved.....

Cheekiey

Love the mahrez shout. I wanted him in the summer too. If we think we can counter effectively now just wait til he gets involved.....
Agree, Mahrez would take us up a notch in terms of diversity when attacking. doubt it'll happen but really want it too

Member 90678

Has to be a right wing for me.Our defence is pretty good although it does need a new left back,whereas our right side going forward is pretty poor.
We have seen in the last few games what can happen on the counter with speed,shove an accomplished winger on the right and I think we will see plenty more goals.

Reactions: KM

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout

You won't get a single one of those for the prices listed. Especially not halfway through a season where teams are fighting for all they have to get to the best possible position in all competitions they're in.

Member 90887

You won't get a single one of those for the prices listed. Especially not halfway through a season where teams are fighting for all they have to get to the best possible position in all competitions they're in.
Well, Rose wants out, and seeing that Walker was sold for 50M£ in the summer, i think that 40M£ to 45M£ should do.

Ozil got 6 months left on his contract, he's 29 years old, if he wants to move, i'm confident Arsenal's board would sanction a move for 25M£; if i was an Arsenal supporter i would be all for it.

Mahrez i agree, Roma offered in their last bid the equivalent of 30M£ in the summer and got rejected. maybe 5M£ more would do. he's got the technical ability to dribble his way out of thight situations (Good when your opponent is sitting back) and he's good in counter attack.

If we can get these 3 players for the 90M£, it would set us up for a good second half of the season.

The Mad Manc

Sign a left back and recall Pereira.
I'm intrigued to see how LB plays out. We sure need a better plan for that position than we had at the start of the season but Shaw's recent performance was encouraging.

As for Pereira, by all accounts he has been doing very well at RW for Valencia. It's a no brainer for me to recall him, unless Jose wants to stick with this 3-4-1-2 formation.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
I'm intrigued to see how LB plays out. We sure need a better plan for that position than we had at the start of the season but Shaw's recent performance was encouraging.

As for Pereira, by all accounts he has been doing very well at RW for Valencia. It's a no brainer for me to recall him, unless Jose wants to stick with this 3-4-1-2 formation.
Even if he wants to stick with this formation he should recall him. We all saw what happened when Pogba was out last time. We're not blessed in CM.

DCP

A midfielder, losing Pogba or Matic just makes me a little nervous.

simplyared

Already mentioned Eriksen but that is just wishful thinking and wiil not happen. Therefore I suggest the realistic option of bringing Zaha back to the club he should never have left. Probably get slagged off for this but he's got flair and talent, great to watch when he's at his best. He's fantastic on one on situations, gives defenders nightmares and we need a right winger. Mourinho will know how to handle him mentally to get the best out of him!

cyril C

Right Wing, which is what Mourinho has been asking for. Right instead of Left is preferred because Martial and Rashford are doing fine on the left so priority should be on the right hand side. A traditional winger, a provider, not someone cutting inside.