Fortifying in January, one position to strengthen: what would you go for?

Position

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Footyislife

New manager? Start a fire sale for Blind, Young, Darmian, Fellaini, Mata, Lingard to get some funds. Get decent traditional two way FBs with that money. Get an athletic midfielder who can pass. Bring back TFM, Pereira if we can. Promote Mitchell. Buy a world class wide creative player, and a back up young winger. Ask Everton nicely if we can return Lukaku?

Think we can do all that in Jan.?

Minimalist

Has to be either a wide player (both full back and winger included) or a central midfielder. The latter since we've decided (true or not) that without Pogba we have absolutely nobody else who can do that role (I think it's true personally). In fact, I think Fellaini is probably the closest player we have to Pogba and that's bizarre.

RedMilo

I voted RW but the reality is we also need another CM and another No10.

AndyJ1985

Break the bank for a world class winger. Our wings fecking shocking, we basically rely on old wingers turned full backs Young and Valencia for our wide play. That's ridiculous quite frankly.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Unless we can get someone like Malcolm we should just stay pat. Every other top player we could possibly buy would probably be cup-tied.

BigBebe

It is sad that we lose Pogba and our whole tactics change and hoofball becomes our main game plan.

We need a central midfielder who can provide some creativity.

Ekeke

A #10 who can also play CM who makes himself available for passes and keeps the ball, as well as having some productivity in the final third. That way they can play when Matic and Pogba are in the team, but can also do something when Pogba isnt in the team. But its easy to say what we need and another thing entirely to find the correct player.

Ozil would fit the bill in many ways, but there are some concerns in bigger matches. Adam Ljajic is doing quite well this season funnily enough. Both Fekir and Milinkovic-Savic seem to give the ball away quite a lot. Although that was also true of De Bruyne in Germany and he's pretty much exactly what we need right now.

MrSingh2002

This is really bad transfer, why would we spend a lot of money on a new striker when we brought Lukaku for 75m? Also, Greizmann is not naturally right wing, it won't strengthen the RW as he's not effective in that position. if we get Ozil, so where Greizmann could fit in a system? 3-5-2 as a striker alongside with Lukaku? It would mean that we'll sacrifice Martial/Rashford for putting Greizmann in that position in 352 system or another option is that we don't need to get Ozil and play Grezimann as a secondary striker in 433 and 4231. There's no way Jose'd go for a player like Milinkovic-Savic just to be backup for the first-team player, it wouldn't make a sense in financial

Jose is going to use more 3412/352 formation in future when he gets more signing like LB, RW, AM and RB but at same time they must play in 433 or 4231 formations without making a change to starters

Milinkovic-Savic as holding midfielder alongside with Matic with Pogba upfront in central midfield and it'll give Pogba a more freedom to express himself and work on his creativity so that means we won't get Ozil if we get Savic and or we can play both in 3-4-2-1 with Ozil and Pogba forming a partnership, Matic and Savic can give them much freedom to go forward while shielding defence but it would mean sacrificing Rashford/Martial for an extra playmaker like Ozil in 3421 with Pogba upfront in midfield. RW is not necessary if we use 352 more, it is becoming preferenced formation for Jose even though he admitted that he would like to use this formation if his fullback can offer attacking threat. Milinkovic-Savic or Goretzka is perfect in this formation 3-5-2, meaning we'll be able to control the games and the way how we want to play. Sign other playmakers CM as squad player and a replacement for Pogba

Rose and Meunier as wingback with attacking purpose and great defensively, it'll feed more balls to Martial/Rashford and Lukaku while with two CM like Matic shielding the defence in 3 centreback

3-5-2

De Gea
Lindelof Bailly Rojo
Meunier Matic Pogba Savic/Goretzka Rose
Lukaku Martial/Rashford

3-4-1-2

De Gea
Lindelof Bailly Rojo
Meunier Matic Savic/Goretzka Rose
Pogba
Lukaku Martial/Rashford

3-4-2-1

De Gea
Lindelof Bailly Rojo
Meunier Matic Savic/Goretzka Rose
Pogba Ozil
Lukaku

4-3-3

De Gea
Meunier Lindelof Bailly Rose
Savic/Goretzka Matic Pogba
New RW Lukaku Rashford/Martial

4-2-3-1 without Pogba due to suspension/injured
De Gea
Meunier Lindelof Bailly Rose
Savic/Goretzka Matic
New RW Ozil Rashford/Martial
Lukaku

And.... that's why Aboubakar over Lukaku. Lukakus shit.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Central midfield, we are too dependant on poggers. Get a player who can move the ball in the midfield

automaticflare

De Gea
Valencia Bailly Rojo Rose
Pogba Matic
Greizmann Ozil Martial
Aboubakar

Romero
Young Jones Smalling Shaw
Fellaini Milinkovic-Savic
Lingard Pereira Rashford
Lukaku

Out £80m
Darmian
Herrera
Mata
Mkhitaryan
Zlatan

In £250m
Rose
Griezmann
Ozil
Milinkovic-Savic
Aboubakar

£170m net

Just realised this was for January and not summer....

Should never buy players for backups

ghagua

Do we have the best defence in league ? Or is it second best
Does it hurt to have a midfield which can provide some sort of shield for the defence, because right now they are not providing any kind of protection. It's down to some good defending and De Gea why we have the defensive record that we have, because our midfield is a walk through for most decent teams at the moment.

Jaybomb

A pacey right winger.

Bale, Perisic, Griezmann, Willian, Mahrez or Hulk... all proven in the Champions League and any of them would be a big improvement on what we have currently.

Maybe even take a punt on someone like Inaki Williams or Quincy Promes. Zaha has been immense for Palace and looks exactly like someone we need. So why not get him back?

Basically we need to sign one of these players.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Voted CM but realistically we also need a New 10 and a RW.

Recall pereira too

simplyared

Before the city game I would have said CM and/or RW. mentioning Eriksen (who we probably wouldn't get) and Zaha coming back. Now I think we're looking at more departments than those. The one than springs to mind is a traditional, attacking, tough left back in the Evra mode. Prepared to go through a wall to get his cross in. Namely: a fully fit Danny Rose!

BringNaniBack

Leaves a bullshit trail behind him
Before the city game I would have said CM and/or RW. mentioning Eriksen (who we probably wouldn't get) and Zaha coming back. Now I think we're looking at more departments than those. The one than springs to mind is a traditional, attacking, tough left back in the Evra mode. Prepared to go through a wall to get his cross in. Namely: a fully fit Danny Rose!
Young won't last forever but he has been one of our best players recently at LB and we have other players for cover so I think LB is the least of our worries for this season.

Heath.1967

RW and Number 10
i really think that Valencia is a very reliable defensive RB who can cross

Foxbatt

So most of you think that by getting a right winger Lukaku is going to start scoring a lot of goals? We need a world class striker and a midfield player who can create chances out of nothing and as Jose is supposed to have said, a magician.

Green_Red

We need another creative midfielder that can make things happen passing the ball forwards.

PTSTSL

CM in January. The alternative to the Matic/Pogba midfield is too much of a drop off from what JM's midfield needs to be. The team can function with the attacking lineup we have for now, the midfield is much more important to how we setup.

Dendoncker impressed in the EL last season and is probably a realistic option in January. Fellani can be phased out if he's not going to be with us next season. Carrick will need replacing too but probably in the summer, it sounds like the lad from Lazio is suitable. Herrera is not high up on my Christmas card list after the derby, and its obvious he's seen as a backup these days.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
A central midfielder (hopefully Goreztka) so we can move Pogba into the #10 position. Playing Pogba in midfield with Matic leaves our midfield very exposed and a lot of team our down our throats as soon as they get the ball.
I think we need a midfielder too, but not to push Pogba into the #10. In my opinion we shouldn't play with a #10. It should be more of a 4-3-3 or a 4-4-2 with a diamond midfield (then we play with a #10 obviously). Matic is obviously the holding midfielder and I would have Pogba as box to box from the left side but we need another creative player who is box to box on the right and Herrara and Fellaini just don't cut it. We need someone with some creativity and who can dribble and pick out a pass and shoot. A Modric type of player. I was hoping MickyT could be that player but he isn't good enough defensively and his confidence is low. I expect to see him sold. There's been talk of Ozil but again, like MickyT he is too much of a #10 and not good enough defensively. Perhaps Mourinho can help change that. Or perhaps we can just recreate Paul Scholes and all our problems would be solved

Last edited:

Lentwood

We desperately need a #10, a RW, a LB and a RB.

That’s before you get into the fact we need more genuine quality in the squad so we can phase out the likes of Herrera and Mata

And this is the crux of the issue people. We have to address this rebuild one or two position at a time. So this time next year we will be in a similar position still bemoaning the need for X, Y or Z