France national team | Martial ruled out due to injury, Lemar replaces him

Don Alfredo

Supports
Germany
They will win the WC, but they won't go down as one of the great teams to do so. They had 1 exciting match in 6. Their top scorer scored 3, their starting CF scored 0. Can't remember a more defensive WC winner since Brazil 1994, and they had Romario at least.

Andersons Dietician

@JPRouve months ago we were speaking about the France team and how much talent was there and I was all they surely have to win the WC. You said something along the lines of they were too young not experienced enough or something along those lines.
Time skip a few months and I’m placing my bet and the voice in my head kicks in with JProuve says they aren’t ready, I know, put it down on Germany, Germany always do well in tournaments :lol:

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I'm at home, relax. We have the experience of losing a final: 2006, 2016 :)
:drool::drool::drool::drool::drool: we will never forget it :D

But about France: tremendously solid at the back(apart from the madness of the argentina game, it's looked downright impossible to score against them), while relying on set pieces and moments of brilliance from a number of uber talented players. It's a tried and true recipe for success in international football(see also: Italy, Spain, Germany, France, Brazil, Germany...)

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
@JPRouve months ago we were speaking about the France team and how much talent was there and I was all they surely have to win the WC. You said something along the lines of they were too young not experienced enough or something along those lines.
Time skip a few months and I’m placing my bet and the voice in my head kicks in with JProuve says they aren’t ready, I know, put it down on Germany, Germany always do well in tournaments :lol:
Well, Germany and Spain underperformed to a ridiculous extent, France aren't great and are far from their potential but they are with Belgium the only outsider to play at their level.

Eddy_JukeZ

They will win the WC, but they won't go down as one of the great teams to do so. They had 1 exciting match in 6. Their top scorer scored 3, their starting CF scored 0. Can't remember a more defensive WC winner since Brazil 1994, and they had Romario at least.
Spain 2010 were more 'defensive'

They had 1-0 wins in all the knock-out games.

They dominated possession, but it was all sterile.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Liberté, Egalité, Fraternité, Mbappé

el3mel

I think they're finally gaining the champion mentality. They're really not into this cup to entertain or play great stuff, they're just here to win the tournament.

Expecting another 1-0 win in the final the same way.

Walters_19_MuFc

Love the balance of their team. Deschamps has got it spot on since the Australia game.

Very similar to what Sir Alex played, when we played a 442/433 hybrid, with Ronaldo (attacking) on one side and Hargreaves (defending) on the other. In France's case, it's Mbappe (attacking) with Matuidi (defending). It provides a fantastic balance for the team.

dbs235

The scary thing is that they're absolutely set for the next 10 years. Mbappe, Dembele, Martial, Coman, Lemar, Fekir, Tolisso will all be around for another 10 years. Pogba, Varane and Umtiti aren't exactly old and they have other players coming through (Ndombele, Aouar) that look likely to be top level too.

Josep Dowling

I had France from the offset and it’s true they aren’t the finish article.

What is even more scary is they have a useless manager. How he persists with Giroud up front is beyond me. Some of his attempts today were woeful.

Their long list of young players means they could dominate for next 10 years a bit like Spain. They should have won the Euros two years ago as well.

Vilev

They will win the WC, but they won't go down as one of the great teams to do so.
And who did in say the last 30 years?
Did Spain, who actually played rather dreadful football winning every game 1-0, scoring just 4 goals in knockout stage, one of them in ET. That's hardly "great". I don't think any winner were actually great, dominant, like Brazil of 1970.

I think the era of great team is gone. Because it is almost impossible to be a great team nowadays, the average level is rising, the team know how to defend and everybody is very pragmatic. So at WC you are lucky if you have maybe like 2 great games. Take Germany in 14, apart from Portugal and Brazil hammering they mostly grinded out the results.

Don Alfredo

Supports
Germany
And who did in say the last 30 years?
Did Spain, who actually played rather dreadful football winning every game 1-0, scoring just 4 goals in knockout stage, one of them in ET. That's hardly "great". I don't think any winner were actually great, dominant, like Brazil of 1970.

I think the era of great team is gone. Because it is almost impossible to be a great team nowadays, the average level is rising, the team know how to defend and everybody is very pragmatic. So at WC you are lucky if you have maybe like 2 great games. Take Germany in 14, apart from Portugal and Brazil hammering they mostly grinded out the results.
Honestly, I don‘t like one side of the WC winners in the recent past. Apart from Germany, but I‘m biased on that one.

The 80s had some great sides: Scirea‘s Italy, Platini‘s France, the Dutch with van Basten and Gullit, plus Brazil 82 of course:drool: I miss those times:(

Canagel

What is even more scary is they have a useless manager. How he persists with Giroud up front is beyond me. Some of his attempts today were woeful.

Their long list of young players means they could dominate for next 10 years a bit like Spain. They should have won the Euros two years ago as well.
Imagine how good they would be if they had a top level striker instead of Giroud. Even Lacazette would've buried the chances Giroud had. It's amazing they still have enough quality across the team to be able to carry a striker like Giroud and still be in the final. He didn't even have a shot on target so far until tonight let alone goal!

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
They looked vulnerable tonight from right wing crosses imo. Umtiti really didn't look comfortable dealing with Lukaku and got away with it a few times.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
It'd be a shame if this generation of French players don't win anything, they're too good not to.

Credit to Deschamps too, despite all the criticism he gets he's only one of few managers who has taken a team to both Euro and World cup finals.

Aurell

Supports
Football
Well Final I guess. Maybe Portugal or Argentina were forward thinking about the future of international tournaments

Anyway Courtois, Hazard or even Kompany really lack some distinction. I mean maybe their team were more playful, "positive", fair... they did provide the most exciting games of the tournament, but I can't see why they deserved this win and how could they say there won't be betters teams than their's (very disrespectful for Croatia by the way). It's painful I guess but they didn't really do enough to reach the final. Really a shame in view of what they showed on the pitch.

Speaking of the final, it would be fun to have a France - England. The teams are a little bit similar (and I don't like Croatia)

SER19

Credit to them they saw off a tricky group, then beat argentina, uruguay and belgium. What a tough run it is. I think theyve been decent to enjoyable after the group stages.

Giggs86

Agree with that. They can also get Portugal'd by England/Croatia on Sunday.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Agree with that. They can also get Portugal'd by England/Croatia on Sunday.
That's the tricky part they have to avoid. I think this team is much better than the one we saw at the Euro 2016, and luckily some of the important players from that game are still around to remember how they got so far only to be undone by a vastly inferior Portugal side.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
:drool::drool::drool::drool::drool: we will never forget it :D

But about France: tremendously solid at the back(apart from the madness of the argentina game, it's looked downright impossible to score against them), while relying on set pieces and moments of brilliance from a number of uber talented players. It's a tried and true recipe for success in international football(see also: Italy, Spain, Germany, France, Brazil, Germany...)
Sure, we won't forget 2000 too :D

When players like Umtiti or Varane scored some crucial goals and a Lloris on fire contrary to the last months, I also think it means something

El Zoido

Hope they smash Croatia in the final. Get Pogba home with a WC medal.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Sure, we won't forget 2000 too :D

When players like Umtiti or Varane scored some crucial goals and a Lloris on fire contrary to the last months, I also think it means something
Grosso and Materazzi, the Wall of the North, Buffon, Pirlo teaching football, gattuso chasing every blade of grass, Totti, Toni, Camoranesi, Del Piero at huge moments...

San Iker, Puyol against germany, Xavi, Iniesta, Villa

It's a formula that works. But i will cheer for Croatia :D

Loublaze

ATLien
Fédération Internationale de Football Association. Football is coming home come Sunday!

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Hardly a surprise he's the in form player in the PL at the moment, prefer him having the 2 week break though tbh and just concentrating on us

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Again, people think Deschamps had an issue with Martial but it’s all been down to playing time after January came around. It’s a shame he missed out on a World Cup although I’m certain even if he had gone he wouldn’t have gotten much playing time, but having that medal in your trophy case doesn’t hurt.

It’ll be nice to see him back in a French jersey, it’s the next step up for him now that he’s confident at United. He hasn’t had a lot of good performances for country yet.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
King Tony deserves to start. Tony - Griez - Mbappe

Dembele & Lamar are shite, Giroud is their Fellaini, Lacazette is decent, get him on the bench.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
The 23 probable

Lloris, Mandanda, Areola - Pavard, Sidibe, Varane, Rami, Sakho, Kimpembe, Mendy, Digne - Kante, Pogba, Matuidi, Nzonzi, Ndombele, Thauvin, Fekir - Giroud, Griezmann, Mbappe, Martial, Dembele.

Laporte still can make it. Unbelievable.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
You have to assume Deschamps simply doesn't fancy Laporte. Has he even made his debut>?

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
The 23 probable

Lloris, Mandanda, Areola - Pavard, Sidibe, Varane, Rami, Sakho, Kimpembe, Mendy, Digne - Kante, Pogba, Matuidi, Nzonzi, Ndombele, Thauvin, Fekir - Giroud, Griezmann, Mbappe, Martial, Dembele.

Laporte still can make it. Unbelievable.
Sakho & Rami getting in over him proves there is a personal problem between him & Deschamps. Zouma gets in over him to.

You have to assume Deschamps simply doesn't fancy Laporte. Has he even made his debut>?
Nope.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Happy for Martial. Would've liked to have seen Lacazette back in the fold instead of Giroud.

Ridiculous strength in depth in attack with likes of Lemar and Payet not even being called up.

According to wikipedia Rami has retired from NT to spend more weekends with Pamela....?:D

El-Buitre

Supports
Real Madrid
Worst WC winner of the history, France is like watching a team coached by Mourinho basically, an insult to football. They have great players it's a shame than Deschamps is such a defensive coach.

Last edited:

JulesWinnfield

West Brom Fan
I'm surprised Laporte hasn't switched to Spain, considering he was in the process of doing so at one point its clearly something he considered an option. If as it seems Deschamps is dead set against him (which he must be to be behind the likes of Sakho who's been a liability for Palace in recent times), he'll be 28 by the next available tournament. He'd walk into the Spain starting eleven too.

Last edited:

Brightonian

Basically their team selection seems sensible most of the time. He didn't deserve to go in the summer, and now he does. Very pleased for the boy.

lawliet354

Worst WC winner of the history, France is like watching a team coached by Mourinho basically, an insult to football. They have great players it's a shame than Deschamps is such a defensive coach.
"An insult to football":lol::lol::lol: , it's almost 2019 and there is still this kind of twitter comment in this forum

They are definitely more entertaining team than 2010 Spain that won almost every game 1-0, the game against Argentina was incredible.

I can't wait to see Martial and Mbappe on both side :drool:

Last edited:

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I'm surprised Laporte hasn't switched to Spain, considering he was in the process of doing so at one point its clearly something he considered an option. If as it seems Deschamps is dead set against him (which he must be to be behind the likes of Sakho who's been a liability for Palace in recent times), he'll be 28 by the next available tournament. He'd walk into the Spain starting eleven too.
And that's why Deschamps will most likely never select him.