Frank Lampard | New Diary of a CEO interview

Wayne's World

Hiring Bielsa who got sacked from Leeds when his teams kept conceding 4 goals a game is the most Everton appointment I've ever seen :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Appointing Bielsa whilst in the midst of a relegation dogfight is either the worst decision I’ve ever heard, or an absolute master stroke. Can’t wait to find out which.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Think Everton have accepted they're going down. Probably hoping to do a Leeds, rebuild in the championship and come back up playing good attacking football.

Mr. Robot

Bielsa will be fun for the neutral but a dreadful choice for Everton. His players always drop like flies after a few months of his training regime.

Saying that, it sounds like the Everton players could do with a rocket up their backsides.

Dyche might keep them up, Bielsa they’re going to get relegated for sure. But at least they will lose every game 4-3 instead of the dire, drab rubbish they served up under Fat Spanish Waiter & The Fat Tory.

Dazzmondo

Think Everton have accepted they're going down. Probably hoping to do a Leeds, rebuild in the championship and come back up playing good attacking football.
If that's the case, fair enough, Bielsa could work out in the long term, but how are they going to have the funds to fix up that team? That is not a squad of top athletes. In fact, it's probably the most un-Bielsa-like squad in the PL. So many walking sick notes. I'm assuming they still have their issues with FFP?

Adam-Utd

If that's the case, fair enough, Bielsa could work out in the long term, but how are they going to have the funds to fix up that team? That is not a squad of top athletes. In fact, it's probably the most un-Bielsa-like squad in the PL. So many walking sick notes. I'm assuming they still have their issues with FFP?
They'll have to sell some 'big' names like Calvert Lewin, Pickford perhaps?

They get the parachute payments in the championship, so it's actually a decent time to sell some players on and restart at a lower budget.

You'd expect a club like Everton will pop straight back up, but this time with fresh ideas and a better mental state.

Similarly to how Newcastle managed to get themselves back together again.

Dazzmondo

They'll have to sell some 'big' names like Calvert Lewin, Pickford perhaps?

They get the parachute payments in the championship, so it's actually a decent time to sell some players on and restart at a lower budget.

You'd expect a club like Everton will pop straight back up, but this time with fresh ideas and a better mental state.

Similarly to how Newcastle managed to get themselves back together again.
Newcastle only got themselves back together because the club was sold and they were taken over by competent owners. Unless Everton sell I don't think the situations are at all comparable.

The White Pele

I think Lampard will be relieved to be out of that mess. It was getting nastier by the week. He needs to drop back down a level and try to start again

Revaulx

Just shows you how far a name can get you even if you're a useless chancer.
I think he’s more an arrogant tosser than a useless chancer.
Yep, their in some mad rush to manage a PL team without the experience to even manage a piss up
Experience is only any good if you’re able to learn from it.

Despite (or maybe because of) his high IQ, Lampard has to date shown a total inability to do that.

Dazzmondo

I think Lampard will be relieved to be out of that mess. It was getting nastier by the week. He needs to drop back down a level and try to start again
He should go back and take some time to learn more about the tactical side of the game. I think he had an arrogance that many top players have when they become managers that they just naturally know what they need to or maybe they just think tactics aren't important. I actually think it would be a mistake to go straight back to managing another club, even at a level below. Even working as an assistant to a top manager like ETH and Arteta did could be useful and then he can try again when he has more knowledge about that side of the game.

Adam-Utd

Newcastle only got themselves back together because the club was sold and they were taken over by competent owners. Unless Everton sell I don't think the situations are at all comparable.
Newcastle got promoted before the Saudis joined?

Dazzmondo

Newcastle got promoted before the Saudis joined?
Fair enough they did get promoted again, but they were also looking dead certs to go right back down before the takeover occurred, so they weren't exactly in a stable position. I also think the standard of PL teams has improved a lot since then tbh, particularly with teams like Brentford and Brighton recruiting effectively enough to make themselves wealthy. They no longer need to sell their players which makes it harder for poorly run clubs like Everton to continue making costly mistakes without it coming back to bite them. Burnley, Sheffield and Norwich are also a part of that yo-yo block that Everton will have to compete with, and if a team with good recruitment like Luton manages to sneak into the PL, that would mean even more competition. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Everton get to a point of no return under this ownership.

I feel like Southampton are actually best positioned to come back up due to their investment in youth. They're not strong enough this season but I think they're strong enough to potentially win the Championship and they'll have players starting to come into their early primes that they can either keep or sell on.

crossy1686

career ending
I think he’s more an arrogant tosser than a useless chancer.

Experience is only any good if you’re able to learn from it.

Despite (or maybe because of) his high IQ, Lampard has to date shown a total inability to do that.
I think he's only shown arrogance. It's like he's decided he's going to play a certain way regardless of the players he has available or who the opposition is, and with that he's also tactically naive. I'd be surprised if he returned to management after this, but then again I'm sure uncle 'Arry has some mates somewhere that will hook him up with another PL job at some point.

SAFMUTD

Im suprised it took them so long to sack him, he's a really poor manager. Everton squad is by no means an unstoppable force but they should be doing way better.

Dazzmondo

Im suprised it took them so long to sack him, he's a really poor manager. Everton squad is by no means an unstoppable force but they should be doing way better.
He's not a good manager but I don't really agree with this either tbh. They're about where they deserve to be. Only Bournemouth and Southampton have weaker squads imo (and at least Southampton have plenty of young talent for the future). Leeds and Forest are probably comparable but I'll take the latter 2 personally. Aside from Pickford, Mina, DCL (which tbh is solely based on what he did years ago) and then maybe Onana and Coady at a push, who else in that squad is PL quality? They're all Championship standard at best.

Castia

They’ll go down under Bielsa. Doesn’t have the time to implement his system and the players are probably nowhere near the fitness level he requires.

Dyche on a 18 month contract is the best chance at staying up.

Castia

If the Everton fans want that kind of football they should bring Big Duncan back!
It’s about staying up at this stage. Probably wouldn’t care if it’s a 442 hoofing balls to a striker if they stay up this season

SAFMUTD

He's not a good manager but I don't really agree with this either tbh. They're about where they deserve to be. Only Bournemouth and Southampton have weaker squads imo (and at least Southampton have plenty of young talent for the future). Leeds and Forest are probably comparable but I'll take the latter 2 personally. Aside from Pickford, Mina, DCL (which tbh is solely based on what he did years ago) and then maybe Onana and Coady at a push, who else in that squad is PL quality? They're all Championship standard at best.
Pickford, Gueye, Calvert-Lewin, Doucure, Godfrey, Mina, Gray, Onana and Iwobi are decent players if Everton go down to the championship they'll have no trouble finding teams interested in them.

They have a much better squad than Nottingham Forest, Bournemouth and Leeds.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
He should go back and take some time to learn more about the tactical side of the game. I think he had an arrogance that many top players have when they become managers that they just naturally know what they need to or maybe they just think tactics aren't important. I actually think it would be a mistake to go straight back to managing another club, even at a level below. Even working as an assistant to a top manager like ETH and Arteta did could be useful and then he can try again when he has more knowledge about that side of the game.
Said names dont need him as an Assistant. Offers nothing, too big of an ego, lacking the actual technical knowledge to assist.

Most Assistant Manager are low profile technical help to the manager

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Said names dont need him as an Assistant. Offers nothing, too big of an ego, lacking the actual technical knowledge to assist.

Most Assistant Manager are low profile technical help to the manager
He should spend 6 months with his Uncle before his next job

The Urban Goose

Article in the Telegraph this morning about how Frank did ever so well to last as long as he did, and Everton's owner is such a basketcase that poor Frank didn't have a chance. Laughable.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I can imagine us signing Bielsa, he asks for two or three players, Thelwell tells him we have no money and he resigns on deadline day.

I don’t think Bielsa is the right fit, they need a manager who will sort out their defence, someone like big Sam or Dyche.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I don’t think Bielsa is the right fit, they need a manager who will sort out their defence, someone like big Sam or Dyche.
The attack is a bigger problem than the defence. The players we have in defence are good enough to have any decent manager come in and sort it out. The problem is that our attack, midfield and defence are completely disconnected from each other leading to us being so easy to play against as we have no attacking or defensive dynamism.

Last edited:

NoPace

It was the choice between him and someone who decided to go on SSN and chat shite before even being appointed. We never 'wanted' either of them but it was the choice we had at the time.

I think he deserved the opportunity after keeping us up to carry on and it is the right thing of the club to try and have continuity with a manager rather than sack them just because. Around about the time we lost against Bournemouth twice is when the alarm bells should have been ringing and the way we lost against Wolves and Southampton should have been it. Either way, we should have had plans in place from the WC of who we would like to take over if it gets to that so things can move quickly.
That's silly, Everton is a Premier League job, you can get a quality coach or a really good international manager and risk it. Someone ugly and boring like Unai Emery but a good tactical coach. Have to look outside England, but there are even young guys like De Zerbi who are well respected for their work in mid-table, like foreign versions of Eddie Howe.

NoPace

They should just got for bielsa. His attacking style of play could keep them in the prem or he could be to open and they get relegated but then he’ll probably go straight back up with them anyway. They’re probably gonna go for someone like dyche though and play it safe but that can’t be a long term appointment surely.
At first I thought it was too risky, but after thinking it over, they have a midfield with good mobility and a target man, and those are the basic requirements for a Bielsa team. Need a new CB who can run or Godfrey to get it together, but it would suit their front 6 and probably the Ukranian LB and Pickford.

The betting favorites are Dyche and Bielsa, but they're probably 2 signings away from Bielsa working out, whereas Dyche might work right away with McNeil and Gray wide behind Maupay/Gordon and Calvert-Lewin and I guess you could play Iwobi as a #10 and no 2nd striker, or even at RB. Or you sell Iwobi while his value is up and buy a quality RB and a #6/8 to backup Onana and Gueye, probably someone who can pass a bit since you're starved for creativity.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
That's silly, Everton is a Premier League job, you can get a quality coach or a really good international manager and risk it. Someone ugly and boring like Unai Emery but a good tactical coach. Have to look outside England, but there are even young guys like De Zerbi who are well respected for their work in mid-table, like foreign versions of Eddie Howe.
The board haven't shown that they're interested in managers outside of England which is why pretty much every manager we have hired since Moyes aside from Ancelotti has had EPL recency bias.

At first I thought it was too risky, but after thinking it over, they have a midfield with good mobility and a target man, and those are the basic requirements for a Bielsa team. Need a new CB who can run or Godfrey to get it together, but it would suit their front 6 and probably the Ukranian LB and Pickford.

The betting favorites are Dyche and Bielsa, but they're probably 2 signings away from Bielsa working out, whereas Dyche might work right away with McNeil and Gray wide behind Maupay/Gordon and Calvert-Lewin and I guess you could play Iwobi as a #10 and no 2nd striker, or even at RB. Or you sell Iwobi while his value is up and buy a quality RB and a #6/8 to backup Onana and Gueye, probably someone who can pass a bit since you're starved for creativity.
It's Mykolenko who has been rubbish this year in terms of our full backs. Patterson is good enough if he can shake off his injuries.