Frank Lampard | New Diary of a CEO interview

bringbackbebe

What is happening to these guys? 1 goal all of April, 5 losses and 1 draw in 6 games, getting battered at home by mid table teams... I thought Rangnick period was terrible. This is a whole new benchmark.

CM

Those couple of wins Potter got against Leeds and Leicester are now looking really valuable for Chelsea. Lampard would genuinely have them sleepwalking into a relegation battle if it wasn't for that buffer.

KeanoMagicHat

Funny enough Tuchel winning two games at the start of the season has turned out important in avoiding a relegation battle.

Lampard’s team selection yesterday was embarrassing, like something you’d pick if you’re trying to sabotage the club.

It’s funny how they can’t score so their solution to that is to play basically no forwards, despite paying hundreds of millions for them.

Even in our worst times we’ve never been that bad.

Kopral Jono

Worst manager in Premier League history, or at the very least a strong contender for the title.

Himannv

He's terrible and anyone could see it was a poor decision to appoint him as manager. His team selection is bizarrely defensive and so many square pegs in round holes when it's definitely not needed.

Dansk

Is it even possible for a manager to be inept enough that he, on his own, causes the team to lose to vastly inferior (in principle) opponents just about every time? I mean, it's clear that Frank is not doing well there, but to what extent can one suppose it's possible that the manager is causing something like this to happen? It seems silly almost. Their results are far, far below what you'd think a team like that would achieve even if they had no manager at all and just went out there to do as they saw fit. Can Frank be so bad at the job that he's literally the reason they're losing? Or is that club just falling apart at the seams?

Unam333

Those couple of wins Potter got against Leeds and Leicester are now looking really valuable for Chelsea. Lampard would genuinely have them sleepwalking into a relegation battle if it wasn't for that buffer.
Chelsea still need to play Arsenal, City, Newcastle and us of course. A possible 0 out of 12 points and still they can comfortably stay in midtable. The teams in relegation zone just can't pick up wins.

fergiewherearethou

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Funny enough Tuchel winning two games at the start of the season has turned out important in avoiding a relegation battle.

Lampard’s team selection yesterday was embarrassing, like something you’d pick if you’re trying to sabotage the club.

It’s funny how they can’t score so their solution to that is to play basically no forwards, despite paying hundreds of millions for them.

Even in our worst times we’ve never been that bad.
When is the last time we finished 10th or 11th? In the 80's probably.
They went from a good manager, to a mediocre manager to the worst manager possible all in 1 season and all of this by spending half a billion on transfers. Quite an astonishing achievement.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
They went from a good manager, to a mediocre manager to the worst manager possible all in 1 season and all of this by spending half a billion on transfers. Quite an astonishing achievement.
It really is incredible. Incredible and hilarious.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Remains to be seen if it matters to Chelsea. They finished 10th in 15/16 and then won the league the next season. Not that I think that will happen again but I wouldn't write them off getting top 4 with a competent manager next season.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Is it even possible for a manager to be inept enough that he, on his own, causes the team to lose to vastly inferior (in principle) opponents just about every time? I mean, it's clear that Frank is not doing well there, but to what extent can one suppose it's possible that the manager is causing something like this to happen? It seems silly almost. Their results are far, far below what you'd think a team like that would achieve even if they had no manager at all and just went out there to do as they saw fit. Can Frank be so bad at the job that he's literally the reason they're losing? Or is that club just falling apart at the seams?
He’s an awful manager but they were terrible long before he took over. So there’s definitely more to this than Frank’s incompetence. Although his incompetence is definitely making a bad situation worse.

Mike Smalling

And they still need to face Arsenal, United, Newcastle and City :lol: he could easily finish his caretaker stint without a win.

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
It was the most idiot appointment possible.

A few Chelsea fans bought into it because it was Lampard forgetting how poor a manager he actually is.

I despite being critical of him but as a manager he is absolutely horrendous.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Our home game against them still needs to be added into the schedule. They're probably waiting to find out when that is taking place, so they can sack him 3 days before.

Smores

Terrible appointment, we know ourselves a demoralised team with a caretaker leads to players just waiting out the season.

At this stage they'd be better waiting to the end of season for Poch/someone to take charge.

The Firestarter

I still don't get why clubs keep hiring caretakers for anything more than 3 games. Players feel no need to play for and impress them, the coaches themselves are thinking about next permanent job, and the whole situation is a bit of a limbo. Especially when the actual manager you want is without a job and can start right away, and use the remaining games to assess the squad and identify what's needed in the summer.

LARulz

They did it for the reason the fans are less likely to turn the entire place sour if this happened

Yeah it's not great but if it was Ralf or some other outsider the place would be like ours was last year - a shit show at all parts of the club. At least this way its known the season is a write off and fans are unlikely to turn so badly against a legend

RopersReturn

Unfortunately Lampard the manager seems to be the equivalent of the character Dr Chinnery the vet from League of Gentleman. Everything he does has disastrous consequences.

fergiewherearethou

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Remains to be seen if it matters to Chelsea. They finished 10th in 15/16 and then won the league the next season. Not that I think that will happen again but I wouldn't write them off getting top 4 with a competent manager next season.
It will be incredible and almost unbelievable for them not to bounce back next season, but it all depends on who they hire as manager, I wouldn't write them off on anything, every scenario is possible with this new owner.

cyberman

It will be incredible and almost unbelievable for them not to bounce back next season, but it all depends on who they hire as manager, I wouldn't write them off on anything, every scenario is possible with this new owner.
They’ve lost everything they had that made them a top club. I can’t see any reason why they would even threaten the top 6/7 for a while yet.
This season is so bad that it has to be written off. The problem there is that they still have to integrate with each other. Find a best 11 and squad so it’s guaranteed to be another wasted season next year on top of this.

fergiewherearethou

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I wouldn't put it past Chelsea sacking him a second time just before the season ends.
No worries, Frank will accept another PL job next time if some lunatic will offer him this opportunity. Sometimes I wonder if he joins teams just for the wages.

They’ve lost everything they had that made them a top club. I can’t see any reason why they would even threaten the top 6/7 for a while yet.
This season is so bad that it has to be written off. The problem there is that they still have to integrate with each other. Find a best 11 and squad so it’s guaranteed to be another wasted season next year on top of this.
I believe that, if they hire a manager who can organize their defense, with the money they will probably still spend, they can get better faster, even next season, no title challenge but at least top 4.

astracrazy

I wouldn't put it past Chelsea sacking him a second time just before the season ends.
May as well sack him now. It would give them a better chance. Not only is the guy a serial loser, one thing that got me with his recent record is his teams can't even score.

flappyjay

They once finished 10th and won the league the following season. Not that they will win the league but they can't be discounted as top 4 challengers next season.

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
Such an absurd idea to sack Potter for this. What's even the point.
Potter was clearly a dead man walking and didn't have it in him to continue in the job. His assistant, who stayed for a few days after the sacking, said even Potter himself thought it was the right decision.

Frank's obviously been a disaster of massive proportions but it would also have been quite distasteful to start a thorough process into hiring a new permanent manager and interview multiple candidates while still keeping Potter in charge.

The only real alternative would have been to continue publicly backing Potter till the end of the season and start the process of hiring a replacement the day the season was over. We might have gotten a couple more wins but it would hardly have changed anything for our season and we'd have a lot more catching up to do with the managerial recruitment and preparing for next season if we'd waited a couple more months to sack Potter.

Now the club have just written off the season and started preparing for the future ASAP. We'll likely have a new manager lined up by the beginning of May (to take over in the summer) so despite Frank staying in charge for the remaining games, the new manager once the contract is signed can already start drawing up some preliminary plans on which players they want to keep and who they want to get rid of. If we'd hired Poch or whoever to come in straight away after Potter, chances are they'd already be in deep shite come end of the season, having to deal with a squad who've all but mentally checked out for the season and the team morale being at an all-time low. Now Frank gets all the stick for whatever's left in this season and the new manager can start his work with a clean slate in the summer after the players have had their holidays and I would think by pre-season many of the current lot will either already be gone or at least deep in the process of leaving so they won't even have to join the pre-season.

VinchNow

Last Man Standing finalist 2022/23
Supports
Liverpool
It would be poetic if Everton was to finish ahead of Chelsea this season.