Fred’s value

Sometimes I wonder if people even watch our games? What kind of bonkers analysis is this? He’s been one of our most consistent and best performing players this season. I say this being one of his biggest early critics. Some people are never happy unless it’s a big name.
The idea that he can’t tackle is brilliant, I’m fairly certain he wins the ball back more than anyone else in our team.

Josep Dowling

He’s massively improved over the last 2 months. Is he worth what we paid for him, I doubt it but Everton paid £50m for Siguardsson.

Lentwood

I’d say based on his last ten games he is probably a £50m player in today’s market but that doesn’t really mean a great deal.

My concern for his long term viability in that CM position is that he has the same strengths and limitations as McTominay, give or take. We need one of the two CMs to be comfortable setting the tempo and moving the ball between the lines

Red_Aaron

There was a point when I wasn't sure if he was even an actual footballer but fair dues with a run of games he's started to settle down and he's worked himself into a position where I can see him as a squad option, he deserves credit for that.

If McT continues to improve then Fred could be a solid understudy for him over the next couple seasons but we still need a starting holding mid and potentially a pogba replacement too

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Give it a couple of seasons and he'll be playing for someone like Newcastle.

He's solid but whoever sanctioned this deal was off their tits on something.

simplyared

Sometimes I wonder if people even watch our games? What kind of bonkers analysis is this? He’s been one of our most consistent and best performing players this season. I say this being one of his biggest early critics. Some people are never happy unless it’s a big name.
Then the least I can ask for is your analysis of the player. Shoot!

RedWat

Starting to show his worth, needs to carry on at this level for a bit longer to justify the price tag but on the basis that he does, well worth the £50m - thought he was superb today
If we had a title challenging squad players such as Fred & McT would be decent level subs who would come in if a midfielder in the first 11 got injured. The same way Liverpool can bring in Keita, Milner or the Ox when one of the usual 11 gets injured. As we do not have such a squad then Fred is ok.....for now.

Amerifan

He’s one of our most improved players this season. Never sell a player on the rise because we may not have seen him at his best yet.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
He's improved tremendously with a run in the team, which is obviously very important to any player, especially one settling into a new league. But I think he's more valuable to us right now than any other club might consider offering for him, certainly given our difficulties in signing players to replace any that leave.

davidmichael

I think Fred has improved a hell of a lot and a long consistent run in the team has done wonders for him but I’d still consider him a squad player and if/when we sign an out and out defensive midfielder and if we play a midfield three I’d go McTominay, new defensive midfielder and Pogba with Fred and Pereira on the bench.

Andersonson

For 2 seasons Tom Cleverley absolutely was.
He started 18 games one season. And that season he was a lot better than Fred. But a regular starter? With 18 games?

I disagree

Dont people see his passning? Its never in front of players in a run, its directly onto them, slowing the pace down.

He could be a good box-to-box, if he dont shoot. But as a holding CM he is terrible

Apokalips

He has improved but I still see him as a Sissoko type of loose cannon. His technique is too erratic to depend on if we want to become one of the best teams around.

His first time passing, especially when played to him at pace on the counter, is especially erratic.

Ekeke

At the beginning of this season general consensus was that Fred turned out to be a flop, a waste of £50 million. Would you sell him now for that price?

Yes or No, please. Reasoning is most welcome.
Yes. He's nowhere near £50 million

He's playing better than the start of the season though

Litch

Agree.....Agenda, Agenda, Agenda

Ekeke

For someone who thinks Fred would currently be worth £50 million, how much would these superior DMs be worth?

Ndidi
Kovacic
McTominay

I guess £80 million+ ? Yeah makes no sense to me, I'd take the above for at least £15 million less than that, so I'd have Fred around £30 million

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Transfer fees are relative to the squad we have. Would I sell Fred now for £50m? No because at the minute Fred is one of the best players we have in his position and without him we'd be in free fall. With McT out imagine if Fred was sold or injured. If we had to depend on Pogba and Peirera as a midfield 2 how do you think we'd do?

On the other hand, if in the summer we bought 2 first class CMs (what's the chances?) I wouldn't have a problem selling Fred for £30m. I do like Fred as a player but there are definitely better options out there and Fred has shown signs he needs regular game time to perform so I think as a bit part player we would be seeing the Fred of last season so he should be sold.

simplyared

For someone who thinks Fred would currently be worth £50 million, how much would these superior DMs be worth?

Ndidi
Kovacic
McTominay

I guess £80 million+ ? Yeah makes no sense to me, I'd take the above for at least £15 million less than that, so I'd have Fred around £30 million
You can add Henderson to that list at 29 yrs of age!

simplyared

Wow what an utterly pointless thread.
Don't agree it's pointless. What this thread highlights is the low level the bar is at right now re the dm/cm role in our team. I could name easy 8 players in the PL who bring more to the table than Fred does. Somone said he was our most consistent player ffs!

Robbie Boy

Don't agree it's pointless. What this thread highlights is the low level the bar is at right now re the dm/cm role in our team. I could name easy 8 players in the PL who bring more to the table than Fred does. Somone said he was our most consistent player ffs!
It's just, totally pointless it really is. I'm on the fence with Fred, he's improved recently - though considering how woeful he was that had to eventually happen - but I'm not convinced just yet. Still though it's a welcome improvement and he was good against Newcastle.

OleGunnar20

There should be absolutely no talk of selling him while we still have Mata, Lingard, Matic and Periera stealing a living at the club. They all need to be replaced before Fred.
He is the midfield version of Lindelof in my opinion, who is also not good enough to start in a team challenging for big titles but deserves to be in the squad ahead of Rojo, Jones, Fosu Mensah, Young etc
Think that abouts sums it up

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I’d probably take our £50m back if someone offered it for him. He’s done well this season and needs to maintain it a while longer for me to think any differently.

Paul_Scholes18

I have always liked him when I watched him. We never gave him chances and then dropped him after 1 game.
Ole didn't rate him, but injuries put him into our team eventually.
I think he has the tools to be a top player under a good manager. Not sure Ole is the guy to get the best out of him though.

Untd55

Ndidi
Kovacic
McTominay

Talk about odd one out. McTominay is in no way better than Fred; he has actually been pretty bad recently.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Talk about odd one out. McTominay is in no way better than Fred; he has actually been pretty bad recently.
McTominay made a pretty big difference when he came back from injury. Fred’s definitely been better but wouldn’t say McT has been bad. McT definitely seems to have more end product for me as well, in that he can actually finish and/or play a killer pass.

Litch

Utd player new to the club and starts poorly. Given a run of games and been consistently one of our best players and fans are still negative about him. As a DM given his pass percentage, tackles and interceptions are often the highest irrespective of who we have played against, what else could he offer to not merit being worth 50m. Someone please tell me who else there is out there that could offer more for 50m?

Foritfied

He's been outstanding this year for me. Despite some shakey games to start - he's begun to show his worth and staking his claim to remain in this team. Ole has played a blinder for me in getting some of these players to improve - Fred definitely being one of them.

Looking for a big game today against a rough team.

Reactions: Penna

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Fred is superb now. Great to have in the team and squad. Long may it continue
The café in a nutshell. Everyone is either rubbish or superb!

Fred is much improved, but a long way off superb!

Castia

Starting to look like a top player, I’ve been well impressed this season.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Really looking one for the long term, he's never going to be a creator as such (and most certainly never a goal scorer) but his ability to recycle the ball and play through the lines is (dare I say) Carrick like

Gloccamora

Bright spot along with Williams amongst some very slow pedestrian football.

Fts 74

Hes been the best player on the pitch so far tonight, he's linked up superbly with Williams.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Starting to look like a top player, I’ve been well impressed this season.
I’m very happy he seems to have made progress in form.

The caveat is that he is looking good in a team which is below top 4, and im not sure he has enough upside to help the team challenge for title. ie: can he develop to Kante level or will he top out at Herrera level?

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I’m very happy he seems to have made progress in form.

The caveat is that he is looking good in a team which is below top 4, and im not sure he has enough upside to help the team challenge for title. ie: can he develop to Kante level or will he top out at Herrera level?
He's never going to be like either the players you mentioned

Certainly seeing why City wanted him now though, he could easily do the role that Rodri is doing for them (caveat to that being City really need more of a Fernandinho)

El Zoido

I’m impressed by his off the ball play. Ever notice that when Maguire moves out of position, Fred immediately drops back in to a centre half role so we can retain our shape and don’t leave a gap.