Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

lsd

The Oracle
that’s exactly what I’m saying.

yet some people will immediately come in after a game and present useless stats to try and prove a point, when we’ve just watched 120 mins of really poor passing.

He plays a lot of passes too where the other player may get the ball but they have to drop back to do so and our attack has slowed down.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
We really need to stop over rating our players performances.

Fred is the perfect example of how people confuse being energetic and hard working with being a top player. Nobody can deny Fred's effort levels. He's a machine. However he's a really poor footballer. Passes are either over hit or under hit, shooting is woeful and he can't play a killer pass to save his life.

We won't win the title with players like him. Working hard isn't enough at the level we aspire to be at. You need class too and he's not got any.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
"We won't win title with player x" must be the dumbest argument that's used in every thread.

One player won't win or lose you the titles.

OrcaFat

He lacks quality but he was everywhere last night. Great attitude. Hard to replace what he brings while adding quality at the same time.

lsd

The Oracle
"We won't win title with player x" must be the dumbest argument that's used in every thread.

One player won't win or lose you the titles.

Not really as Bruno has made such a difference to us that with him we could challenge for the title without him we would be in mid table

roonster09

Scout
Not really as Bruno has made such a difference to us that with him we could challenge for the title without him we would be in mid table
Did he win us the title?

So by the same logic, with Fred in the side we are challenging for the title.

simplyared

Energetic as usual. But, and that's a big but, he doesn't achieve an awful lot tbf. In the 1st half he had more of the ball than I've seen him have before. But he couldn't do anything with it and thats the problem. Not only that when he gets anywhere near the final 3rd he's fecked.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
My big criticism is his lack of any threat at the edge of the box. Especially on his right. :lol:

Zlatans Knee

West Ham just sat back whenever he had the ball knowing full well that he would do feck all with it. He is useful in games where we do not have a lot of possession because he runs around a lot annoying the opposition players. But, when we play against a deep lying team, he is as useful as a chocolate fireguard.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
We really need to stop over rating our players performances.

Fred is the perfect example of how people confuse being energetic and hard working with being a top player. Nobody can deny Fred's effort levels. He's a machine. However he's a really poor footballer. Passes are either over hit or under hit, shooting is woeful and he can't play a killer pass to save his life.

We won't win the title with players like him. Working hard isn't enough at the level we aspire to be at. You need class too and he's not got any.
Load of nonsense to be honest. I had three mates last night who support different teams message me unprovoked to say how good Fred has become. I think you might be the one not rating our players correctly. Hes not in the team to play the killer pass, he mops up pretty much everything and stops counters individually at times.

Redlyn

When we had our full team out Cavani, Bruno etc...we got back our creative balance and he was left to get on with defending and he is really good at that. Spread the play well enough, stopped west ham in their tracks several times. Issue is he and Matic are redundant vs a team sitting so deep. He knows feck all about creating in the same way Bruno knows feck all about being the deepest midfielder. He's clearly limited in the final third. We need him to cover someone like Pogba or a box to box like McT it's not his fault yesterday he was expected to BE Pogba. System, personnel issue, not a Fred issue. He is vital to our team overall.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
They only had 1 shot with 0 on target in 90 minutes. Fred was my MOTM in that match, breaking up West Ham attacks especially when they were countering us. That 1 shot for full 90 minutes is the result of his defensive work & energy. Even with extra time, their total shots only 3 shots. His build up play also good. Fred wasn't the problem.

The issue in that match was the lack of playmaker like Bruno & Pogba. VDB is not playmaker. If we have Pogba in Matic's spot I'm sure we would secure the win without extra time.

passing-wind

that’s exactly what I’m saying.

yet some people will immediately come in after a game and present useless stats to try and prove a point, when we’ve just watched 120 mins of really poor passing.
Fred is not making the cut when it's required of us to challenge on all fronts. He's a level below the standard required for us to move forward offensively in the midfield. He's the Herrera of our options good for top 4 nothing more. I don't see how a central player who consistently loses possession is so favoured in a team that isn't set up to retain the ball quickly. People should rewatch the Liverpool fixture whenever Fred distributed one of his brain fart passes, it resulted in 10+ mins of possession loss and sustained attack on the oppositions behalf. This is criminal at UCL / league challenging level.

matsdf

He's been our best player for two seasons now (bar Bruno), and now people are saying we won't win titles with him. Okey.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Not sure what Ole had in mind yesterday. All the play was going through Fred, and if there's one person in this team you don't want all our play going through it's him. I certainly don't rate him that highly like others do on here, but he does have his strengths. I think we all know what his strengths are, and I think we can all agree that being our creative outlet isn't one of them. It was so bizarre watching most of the play go through him; it made no sense at all.

He wasn't the sole reason why this was such a piss poor game of football (Rashford was poor, Martial was poor), but he was one of the main ones.

romufc

He's been our best player for two seasons now (bar Bruno), and now people are saying we won't win titles with him. Okey.
People want players who will create and score goals all over the pitch.

So the narrative was why play 2 defensive full backs and 2 DM's. I got that narrative.

The new narrative, why do we need a DM when teams sit back? Its as if people don't realise football balance. I don't care if everyone sits back we still need a DM to play, every top club plays with a DM.

The reason is because when we lose the ball we need someone to win it back to maintain attacks. If you have too many attackers, it doesn't work.

roonster09

Scout
Yes because Fred is as good as Bruno :rolleyes:
No, he isn't.

One player won't win or lose you titles. So where is the confusion?

Bruno didn't win us titles, we are challenging or for a bit challenged for league title. If that's enough then having Fred didn't stop us challenging for the league title.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
His shooting is so ludicrously bad, that it has now crossed over to me being highly entertained by it.

His attempted volley yesterday made me howl... a genuine highlight of the game

eire-red

A good player to have in the squad, as he is useful in certain games. Unfortunately, games like tonight where we have so much of the ball are his weakness.

McTominay and Pogba are the preferred midfield for me when we are playing against a low block. Both offer a bit more bravery and forward thinking, and have goals and assists in their locker.

Fred excels in games where possession is more 50-50, as he has more opportunities to showcase his pressing and ball winning ability. Still, I like having him as an option in the team.

Conor

One annoying thing about him is that he clearly sees himself as a 2 footed player, so constantly tries to make passes quickly off his right, but he is not good at it at all. The player he's passing to receives some scuttler along the ground, or a default weak foot curling, bouncing ball that leaves them in a bad position to do anything.

Brightonian

We've got a good stable of midfielders but Ole will insist on starting them in the wrong combinations. I thought Fred was really good as usual yesterday, but his job is to shield the defence, win the ball, and move it on. Why is he starting with Matic, who does the same thing but slower (and, yesterday, ineffectively)?

First choice combinations:
Fred and McTominay
Fred and Pogba

Second choice combinations:
Matic and McTominay
Matic and Pogba

If you start Matic and Fred together, you can't be surprised that you don't have much creativity or incisive passing. That's not what either of them are for.

Sylar

I used to laugh when he tries to shoot, but its getting worse and worse. Him trying on his right foot was bad enough, but his left is almost as bad. Id rather he just turn and pass it back to the keeper, at least that would be more effective for United in keeping the ball.

Hes got a great energy to him and he does help us on the press to get the ball back.

However if im the opposition I would let him have the ball, mark his short option passes, and put one person in front to stop him from driving with the ball. That would mean Fred has to try a long ball or ends up passing it backwards / sideways to another person.

Alfie092

I love his energy levels and his ability to regain possession but I have always had my reservations in regards to Fred. Is very lightweight, average passer of the ball at best and the less said about his shooting ability the better...

The fact that he isn't a great passer and now should be in his prime is my biggest worry. I think against certain teams he is effective and can do a job - providing you tell him to limit is passing range to no more than 15 yards.

IF we do keep Pogba and we continue to play a 4-2-3-1 going into next season, then signing a DM who possesses a brilliant passing range, short and long is important. Whoever we get (unless it's a Kante) most likely won't have the energy levels as Fred, so we need someone who still has an acceptable level of stamina and a bit of bite about them.

Bristol_Red_87

What is the situation with Mata? I was hoping he would play last night.

I know we are poor at the back but I'm getting a bit tired of the default two DM's at home.

We can all except there are games where its a necessity and they tend to be the games McFred start.

I can't see any event where we should be pairing Fred and Matic.

Josh 76

I just don't understand how a PL footballer can be so bad at shooting. Shocking!

bsCallout

He's definitely useful in the squad. He really isn't very good though.

People want us to be a team that keeps the ball and can play football but to be honest it will never happen with Fred.

We need a real upgrade at CDM.

McT, Fred and VDB can rotate.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Not sure what Ole had in mind yesterday. All the play was going through Fred, and if there's one person in this team you don't want all our play going through it's him. I certainly don't rate him that highly like others do on here, but he does have his strengths. I think we all know what his strengths are, and I think we can all agree that being our creative outlet isn't one of them. It was so bizarre watching most of the play go through him; it made no sense at all.
Normally Fred controls most of our play in deeper areas and Bruno does it in higher areas. The two of them have a good combination that I rarely see mentioned, with Fred regularly picking out Bruno when he's in those pockets of space between the defence and midfield. With VDB obviously not taking up the same kind of spaces and not really being a playmaker, Fred ended up having to do too much himself while the four players ahead of him weren't exactly showing for the ball and West Ham had almost everyone behind the ball. There were a couple of times he could have played balls over the top but he saw the run too late, but his strength is normally medium length through balls on the ground to the front players, and that wasn't really an option in this game until Bruno came on.

I have wanted to see Fred and Matic play together more as they did look good together last season, but it doesn't seem to work without Bruno there ahead of them. Or maybe Matic just is truly past it now...but I still want to give it a chance with Bruno before saying that.

Ekeke

People want players who will create and score goals all over the pitch.

So the narrative was why play 2 defensive full backs and 2 DM's. I got that narrative.

The new narrative, why do we need a DM when teams sit back? Its as if people don't realise football balance. I don't care if everyone sits back we still need a DM to play, every top club plays with a DM.

The reason is because when we lose the ball we need someone to win it back to maintain attacks. If you have too many attackers, it doesn't work.
Correct. Thats why you want a good DM

Not an average one whos main skill is running a lot

The best use of that is on the break, but thats where you want your top DM to sit where everyone else breaks forward. Its nice if the DM can set that move going as well as win the ball. But covering ground isnt the ideal skillsit for your DM. You'd want someone who covers less ground but picks the right positions to be most effective and then can start a counter. Also someone who will gladly give away a freekick or take a booking to allow the team to reset and get back in position if he gets beaten. None of this is Fred

Fred is running about doing an average job in every aspect of being a DM

In lieu of the fact he's not a good DM, then he could at least suppliment his play with some goals or creative passing so that he's good coming forward on top of average defensively. McTominay does that with his goalscoring. He's not a great DM either but at least you get that from him as well as the legs. Fred could score 4 or 5 goals a season and he still wouldn't be a great DM, just like McTominay isnt either. But it sure helps that you're offering something in spite of not being that good defensively.

romufc

Correct. Thats why you want a good DM

Not an average one whos main skill is running a lot

The best use of that is on the break, but thats where you want your top DM to sit where everyone else breaks forward. Its nice if the DM can set that move going as well as win the ball. But covering ground isnt the ideal skillsit for your DM. You'd want someone who covers less ground but picks the right positions to be most effective and then can start a counter. Also someone who will gladly give away a freekick or take a booking to allow the team to reset and get back in position if he gets beaten. None of this is Fred

Fred is running about doing an average job in every aspect of being a DM

In lieu of the fact he's not a good DM, then he could at least suppliment his play with some goals or creative passing so that he's good coming forward on top of average defensively. McTominay does that with his goalscoring. He's not a great DM either but at least you get that from him as well as the legs. Fred could score 4 or 5 goals a season and he still wouldn't be a great DM, just like McTominay isnt either. But it sure helps that you're offering something in spite of not being that good defensively.
Yes, I agree that we need a top quality DM.

However; you are really playing Fred's quality down. He is better than average. He is more than just run around, he is quite aggressive and combative.

Anyway, he is the only one we have so we have to play him. I would like to see a Ndidi type player in there. The ideal player in that position is Kimmich, if we can find someone who is of that mould, it would be perfect.

stevoc

I like Fred and rarely come in this thread because i don't like to shit on his performances but i'm reading some very bizarre comments in here that make me question if i'm watching a different game to lots of others.

MOTM yesterday?

One of our best players for the last 2 years?

Fred?

What? :lol:

He wasn't the sole reason why this was such a piss poor game of football (Rashford was poor, Martial was poor), but he was one of the main ones.
There was no one else so at least he took on the responsibility, but yeah it was brutal to watch him trying to pass and set the tempo. Ole and the coaching staff should sit him down and tell him to just patrol around our box protecting the defence if he gets the ball he should immediately just give to someone who knows what to do with it. And also tell him he has no business being anywhere near the oppositions box.

Falcow

Maybe his detractors should look at the stats from last night which are:

Fred passing accuracy, 90% highest of any midfielder on either team.
Fred total passes 139. Second is Maguire with 95.
Fred most touches 155. Next nearest was Maguire with 111.

That's unbelievable really.

So as per usual his detractors are talking bollocks. Yes he made 3 or 4 poor passes but can anyone point out a player from last nights game who didnt?

TrustInJanuzaj

They only had 1 shot with 0 on target in 90 minutes. Fred was my MOTM in that match, breaking up West Ham attacks especially when they were countering us. That 1 shot for full 90 minutes is the result of his defensive work & energy. Even with extra time, their total shots only 3 shots. His build up play also good. Fred wasn't the problem.

The issue in that match was the lack of playmaker like Bruno & Pogba. VDB is not playmaker. If we have Pogba in Matic's spot I'm sure we would secure the win without extra time.
Couldn't agree more, Fred did his job and did it very well. It was clearly the other two players in the partnership who should have been taking on the creative initiative and neither managed to do that.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Load of nonsense to be honest. I had three mates last night who support different teams message me unprovoked to say how good Fred has become. I think you might be the one not rating our players correctly. Hes not in the team to play the killer pass, he mops up pretty much everything and stops counters individually at times.
You have to offer more than running around and closing down if you want a title.

Fabinho of last year and Fernandinho from a few years ago certainly did / still do.

Fred isn't our biggest issue. Far from it. However his lack of quality on the ball will always hold us back.

TrustInJanuzaj

Maybe his detractors should look at the stats from last night which are:

Fred passing accuracy, 90% highest of any midfielder on either team.
Fred total passes 139. Second is Maguire with 95.
Fred most touches 155. Next nearest was Maguire with 111.

That's unbelievable really.

So as per usual his detractors are talking bollocks. Yes he made 3 or 4 poor passes but can anyone point out a player from last nights game who didnt?
Honestly shocked by the response, I expected glowing praise in here. Was my clear MOTM with Maguire the next best on the pitch.

Falcow

I like Fred and rarely come in this thread because i don't like to shit on his performances but i'm reading some very bizarre comments in here that make me question if i'm watching a different game to lots of others.

MOTM yesterday?

One of our best players for the last 2 years?

Fred?

What? :lol:

There was no one else so at least he took on the responsibility, but yeah it was brutal to watch him trying to pass and set the tempo. Ole and the coaching staff should sit him down and tell him to just patrol around our box protecting the defence if he gets the ball he should immediately just give to someone who knows what to do with it. And also tell him he has no business being anywhere near the oppositions box.
See my post above. His passing accuracy was 90% last night. That's not a bad job of "trying to pass" it as you said.

So he made or was accurate with 140 out of 155 passes. You think that is poor?

Paul scholes he is not, I think we can all agree but a great example of Fred's qualities were shown in the goal. I'm sure nobody even spotted his long bursting run onto Bruno pass given how biased some are to his qualities, but he is the only midfielder in our squad who will do that hence why like I Fred.

Status
Not open for further replies.